PDA

View Full Version : Newb here: Help please

redbaron303
01-18-2004, 06:01 PM
My search didn't turn up the information I was looking for, here or on google....

I'm looking for good resources to do some research on purchasing a sport bike....

I want something that isn't too old, prob. 1995+ and something by Yamaha, Kawasaki, or Honda.

I thought about a new bike, but I can't justify the cost to buy something that expensive for never having rode a bike before.... I was looking along the lines of the Ninja ZX6R (636) or the R6.... Basically I want to know what is comparible to those new models but from a couple years ago or so, I want to know where I can find information about common problems and things to look for when buying a bike....

I'm a noob to this whole scene and don't really know too much so I don't want to be picking up someone elses problems but at the same time I don't want to spend the huge money on a new bike for my first one.

Any help with this is appreciated, thanks in advance.

YCB
01-18-2004, 08:10 PM
there are a few biker guys and 1 girl haha, here they will know what to do..

p3nnywi5dom
01-18-2004, 08:51 PM
If no one gives you enough info here, try posting this at www.groundpilots.com

redbaron303
01-18-2004, 09:24 PM
Thanks guys.

RiCE-DaDDy
01-18-2004, 11:47 PM
heres a guide to buy a used bike

http://www.clarity.net/~adam/buying-bike.html

bol
01-19-2004, 01:23 AM
Originally posted by RiCE-DaDDy
heres a guide to buy a used bike

http://www.clarity.net/~adam/buying-bike.html

that is THE used bike guide

but the best advice is still to have somebody knowledgable come along with you when checking out bikes. There are a lot of small things that someone with motorcycle experience would be able to notice that you would miss.

redbaron303
01-19-2004, 01:33 AM
THat's what I figured too....

I'm going to have some friends come with me (experienced riders) who are helping me get into this.... as I said don't want someone elses problems...

I'll have them look at the bikes w/ me, when I decide on one then I'll get it inspected... and that should be good.

And I'll be doing as much reading/learning on the subject as possible.

I'm taking a bike course in the spring... :)

RiCE-DaDDy
01-19-2004, 03:24 AM
remember if u like what u see and all your experienced knowledage friends say so too, take it to the shop for a full inspection

Khyron
01-19-2004, 01:20 PM
Probably the most important, is SIT on the bike. Kawasakis "fit" different than a Honda. The last thing you want is some bike that's too big or small and forces you to sit in an uncomfortable position.

I found that the 600s are best between having enough power, not too much power and cheaper insurance. I ended up getting a used 98 ZX6R with less than 2K on the odo.

And that rule about "you will drop your first bike"? Did mine in a parking lot. :banghead:

Khyron

ramminghard
01-19-2004, 01:23 PM
Yes, you will crash. I did too.

JAYMEZ
01-19-2004, 01:45 PM
lol what a nice thing to say to a new biker heeh

Khyron
01-19-2004, 01:52 PM
Mine didn't hurt me at all - but the point is that it's not wise to get a brand new scratch free bike first time because odds are you'll drop it. So might as well save big bucks and get a cheaper used one to learn on (ie, make all your mistakes).

Khyron

bol
01-19-2004, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by redbaron303

And I'll be doing as much reading/learning on the subject as possible.

I'm taking a bike course in the spring... :)

I took the course through the CSC and it was great. I hear good things about Too Cool as well. The best thing for me was that I didn't know if I would enjoy riding. I knew I wanted a bike but I didn't know if I would actually like riding. I did like riding. I like it A LOT. Now I'm hooked for life.

I highly recommend "A Twist of the Wrist" I and II. They're great books, the first one is somewhat aimed at roadracers but the second is more towards new riders. Together they hold a great deal of very important information.

Be safe - take it slow. I dove in too quickly and crashed a few times when I got in over my head.

Invest in a set of FULL LEATHERS, it will be the best money you will ever spend. They will save your ass when you fall down. I got a two peice suit so I can wear the jacket only when going to work.

Take peoples advise... ride with groups and ask people about your riding. Once you feel comfortable take a race school and learn how to turn that thing!

redbaron303
01-19-2004, 02:31 PM
Thanks alot for the great ideas and support guys :)

Race school eh... first things first like you said, learn the bike :)

I'm so excited to start this up... :)

bikrbabe
01-19-2004, 04:28 PM
there are a few biker guys and 1 girl haha, here they will know what to do..

are you talking about me YCB?
:angel:
lol, if you are, I'm blushing....

bol is so right... definitely invest in a bike course... I know. It's saved my a$$ a few times. Before I took one, one of my guy friends threw me on a bike, and I really didn't have a clue about important basic riding techniques like counter steering.

Then I went and saw the guys at too cool motorcycle school, and they're awesome! Very patient, and great teachers. (Plus, the classroom part - which is normally soooo boring- Trevor teaches, and he makes things pretty interesting).

There is also a go kart track south of race city... they teach you how to race the course on the pocket rockets. that might be something good to get into. It teaches good maneuvering skills.

I'll see if I can find the phone number for their club... one of the head honchos there (his name is Angus) said that he's gonna have some demonstration days, it's like $30 to go and try it out

Ducati
01-20-2004, 01:02 AM
"Probably the most important, is SIT on the bike. Kawasakis "fit" different than a Honda. The last thing you want is some bike that's too big or small and forces you to sit in an uncomfortable position."

Khyron's advice is good.
So is the grim warning about crashing. It Will happen.

Read some of the other posts in this forum about Bikes for Under $5K, etc.

For a reasonable buck, the Honda 600F3 (Or even the early 90's F2) is a good bike - IF it is comfortable. An early Yamaha FZ600 is a good bike, but is a little more extreme a sporting crouch, however is a cheapie favourite of mine. Watch for clashing transmissions though. (Easy fix, usually shifter forks)
Nothing wrong with a Kaw! Legendary reliability.

Look at the front forks, Do they dive a lot? Is there oil seepage on the tubes?
Is the rear swingarm bushing all loose and sloppy?

redbaron303
01-20-2004, 06:00 PM
I love this site.... so many well informed people and nice ppl willing to help another enthusiast, even though I'm only just getting into bikes. :)

As for new bike comparision, I just went to the edmonton bike show.

In order of "most comfortable/best fit"
-Kawasaki ZX10R
- Kawasaki ZX6R
-Yamaha R6
-Yamaha R1
- Honda CBR600RR
-Suzuki 600 CC bike whose model I can't remember, but itwas an aggressive looking sport bike.

Those are the ones I liked best, but the insane performance though tempting in the 1000+CC category is too much for me. Even the 600's are a little bit much but I still want to start with something comparible to the ZX6R and R6, only used and under $6000.... I'm willing to spend a little bit more on a nice used bike if it's not a lemon, safety is my first concern....

I mean most of the stuff is basic about what you guys are saying: dumping bikes 1st time out, inspections and such.... which is why I'm not looking for a new bike but at the same time I want something I'll be happy with.

What about the Kawasaki ZX7R (96ish?).....

Just another word of thanks to you guys and gals for your help.

Ducati
02-01-2004, 03:26 AM
Consider a few other things, besides a hardcore sportbike, perhaps. Here is my personal list of picks for good cheap starter bikes that still have excellent street credibility:

- Mid eighties to 90' Yamaha FZR400 or 600 (I prefer the 400)
- Mid eighties Yamaha SRX 600 cc "single". Yes, only one piston, but a big one. Goes good and reliable. Easy to maintain. Light and handles exceptionally well.
- Late 70's/early 80's Yamaha SR500 (the predecessor of the SRX. Makes a great counterfeit BSA Goldstar)
- Any Honda CB550. The model with the inboard brakes is a bit odd, but not so odd as to disqualify it. AVOID the CB650, unless you can find the 650 with the transverse liquid cooled V-twin, laid out like a Moto Guzzi. I forget what that bike was called.
(We used to call the cruiser version of that bike the "Plastic Maggot", however the Australians buy them and use the engines in little race boats)
- Honda CB400F - any year from the seventies vintage up to the early nineties.
- Suzuki SVX; 2001 or 2. Okay, maybe not exactly "cheap". Excellent little twin that is a match for the 900SS Ducati or M900. It will EAT the 750SS. Nice burbly v-twin exhaust music, too - with the right pipe.
- Suzuki GS 550 or 750.
- Early and Mid eighties Kawasaki GPz 550. If you are a bigger guy, the 750 as well. Avoid the GPz 305.
- Any four stroke enduro, made by a Japanese manufacturer. Buy dependant upon condition, not year. Also, the bigger ones (400cc & up) with kick start can be a bastard to start.
(My old Yamaha DT400 kicked back and shattered my shin. My leg is all wobbly looking, now.)

Im sure there are more. Other people will no doubt post a few good suggestions that I overlooked.

Meteorite
05-17-2004, 12:18 AM
Hey, I did a search for my bike, and here it is. My first bike is the Kawasaki GPz 550.
Great Forum.

I have noticed that a lot of people get banned though.