PDA

View Full Version : OCR translation from PDF?

Guillermo
06-24-2011, 03:35 PM
hey guys, i have this paper written in french and need to translate it into english. i know I can copy and paste it into translate.google.com, but it's pretty long so I'm trying to find some way to use OCR to convert and then translate. I've been looking on google, and it seems that it is possible, but i haven't been able to find a free one. I tried doing it via google docs, but they have a 1 MB size limit. :( I thought i'd try asking on here in case anyone has done a similar thing in the past.

colsankey
06-24-2011, 04:42 PM
Nuance has a piece of software that worked well on english documents.

http://www.nuance.com/for-individuals/by-product/pdf/index.htm

Bottom right corner: "Try and Buy" Download PDF Converter Professional 7

Guillermo
06-24-2011, 07:00 PM
^^great man, i'll try that out.

I actually did a bit more googling and found out that you can go to translate.google.com, and enter the URL of a PDF that you want to translate (cool). it has a 1 MB limit, so I cut some pages and then hosted the file, and it worked but not very well... so i'll try the option above. My next resort will be to copy and paste it all, but that would take forever.

EDIT: OK, checked out that link and it doesn't translate though, right? I actually have Adobe Acrobat (full thing) so I don't have a problem doing the OCR, it's just the translation I need done via OCR. i'm thinking i might just have to copy and paste into google afterall.

thanks again for the help, though. :thumbsup: