PDA

View Full Version : DJ Equipment help

Zephyr
01-18-2004, 06:52 PM
Alright, I'm new to this and I wanna try this out. I been interested in a year now and now I have time. What is a good setup to buy for a beginner? I been thinking of getting a Gemini XL-300 direct drive turntables and Gemini PMX-500 mixer

this package: http://www.pssl.com/bitemdetail.tpl?eqint_KeyIDdata=22050&UID=2004011800004444

is this a good idea? any suggestions? i been hearing that numark is another decent brand.

Def_3
01-18-2004, 06:59 PM
I personally wouldn't waste my money on that package, I think you would be better off buying used "better" euipment. For the tables, go with some tech 12s, get them used, they will last you. For the mixer, you can always upgrade, so you could get a simple one with just treble bass and gains to learn beat matching, but trust me you will outgrow it fast.....

anyways :thumbsup: good luck, its an awesome hobby, and totally adicting!!!

DJ Lazy
01-18-2004, 07:56 PM
Zeph, check out e-bay for used Technics 1200 MKII's, or M3D's. If you think you are gonna be fairly serious about it, you shoudl get a good mixer from the beginning to saved having to upgrade.

My personal recommendations for mixers are:

-Pioneer DJM600 (Industry Standard, but $$$)
-Behringer DJX700 (Copy of the DJM600)
-Numark DXM06
-Vestax PCV275

Those are really good mixers. And once you get the beatmatching part of DJing down, they will be really good mixers for tweaking the tunes.

If you have any questions about any of this, you can msg me on MSN.

Cheers, and Good Luck.:thumbsup:

SI-vic
01-18-2004, 08:48 PM
You might as well spend your money on the best turntables on the market right now.
Get Tech1200's. The resale value of these things are amazing, they dont depreciate very much at all.
If you get Gemeni's or anything else, you'll end up selling them, losing a lot of cash (due to its resale value) and in the end you'll get Tech's anyways.

As for mixers, it all depends on what you're planning to spin.
If you want to go purely hip-hop, Rap then I believe the Vestex (forgot which model #) 2 channel mixer is the best. I believe its what most of the pro scratchers use, Technics also has a really good mixer meant for hip hop.

If you plan on spinning electronica, then DJM 600 will obviously be the best mixer for so many reasons.
I'm currently mixing on the Behringer DJX 700 and its a good mixer to practise on. My friend has the DJM 600 and its very good, the resale value of the DJM 600 is very good but its very expensive to buy. (DJX 700 and DJM 600 are the same thing but different companies). The DJM 600 is still much better then the Behringer.
I've used Numark and Gemeni mixers before, do not waste your money on Gemeni.
The Numark is an alright beginners mixer company.
IMO, either get Behringer or Numark but if you got the cash, get the Pioneer.

SI-vic
01-18-2004, 08:54 PM
Also forgot to mention,
Tech's last a lot longer then any other turntable out there. They are built solid and will almost never break down.

You might hear from people about Numark TTX-1 Turntables.
They are very good turntables but, I hear they have motor problems. The motor over heats often and will break, I'm not sure how much the bill to fix it is but I'm sure it would be a lot.
The resale value of these turntables are pretty good right now BUT will most likely depreciate in the future soon.
Just get Tech's, if ALL the pros in EVERY genre of music use it, then I'm sure you'll do good with these too.

DJ Lazy
01-18-2004, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by SI-vic
I'm not sure how much the bill to fix it is but I'm sure it would be a lot.

It shouldn't cost anything if it is under warranty... ;)