PDA

View Full Version : Stay or Leave.....?

hustler
01-18-2004, 07:41 PM
well im graduating this year so its time to look for a school. Im thinkin about engineering, but now heres the dilemma should i go to a out of town uni or stay at the uofc. I've heard a lot a mixed things so i guess im jus wondering what everyone else has to think. Thanks

Wildcat
01-18-2004, 07:44 PM
moving away from home is what the university experiance is all about. i say move, you should do a poll :thumbsup:

04blackMAX
01-18-2004, 07:45 PM
yeah id move man...new people new fun....

hustler
01-18-2004, 07:48 PM
can i add a poll to this thread....

thanks for the input

thich
01-18-2004, 07:49 PM
what are you looking at to learn?
take that into consideration too before u pick up the suitcase and jet.
some schools will provide better education in an area whereas other local/nearby schools can do a better job than other schools

DUBBED
01-18-2004, 07:52 PM
So expensive, I'm trying to get accepted at UNLV for next February. Costs will be $20,000 cdn/year and up. Definately worth the experience though in my opinion.

Chim
01-18-2004, 11:35 PM
Hey man if you could afford to move out then go for it, thats what the university experience is all about (like wildcat said).

I can't afford to move out and staying at home for school sucks so much ass.

Sides, I don't think UofC is very good for anything, its the second worst university in Canada after all ahahaha

ShOwOfF
01-19-2004, 12:59 AM
very expensive. i was thinking about going to McGill, but ended up staying at uofc. In two years I've met alot of new people and am glad I decided to stay. Everyone's circumstances will be different but I would stay,

ShOwOfF
01-19-2004, 01:01 AM
Originally posted by Chim
Hey man if you could afford to move out then go for it, thats what the university experience is all about (like wildcat said).

I can't afford to move out and staying at home for school sucks so much ass.

Sides, I don't think UofC is very good for anything, its the second worst university in Canada after all ahahaha

Where did you get the second worst university from? I beleive it was only the medical school that was ranked second worst, but overall U of C is somewhere around 12th in the country, according to MacLeans Magazine.

^SkylinE^
01-19-2004, 01:19 AM
GO away !!! I would kill to go away for school but i just don't have that kind of money? I have go on a few road trips to schools my friends are at and my to picks would be U of BC or U of Vic! :thumbsup:
If you got the funds Giv'ER!

tegdreamer
01-19-2004, 01:47 AM
go away for sure!!!!

im goin to vanky....

Dave P
01-19-2004, 04:38 AM
Moving away is awsome but fuckin expensive. Last semester i was down in leth. Was time of my life. Own house, new toys. But in 4 months i blew 8g on partying. and sucked ass at school. Now i am back in calgary living at home. Still party just as much, but having to justify coming home at 3am every morn to the parents sucks.

pinoyhero
01-19-2004, 06:38 AM
Moving away is a a great experience if you can afford it. If money is an issue though staying at home and going to the UofC will leave you with far less debt once your complete.

hustler
01-19-2004, 04:11 PM
thanks for the advice guys........i think i narrowed it down

ryder_23
01-19-2004, 04:15 PM
If you can afford it, i'd suggest leaving...but you gotta still have the will power to study and goto class...because living without ur parents, and parties going on alot, its sometimes hard to stay focused. just gotta make sure you got your priorities straight so you dont end up gettin kickd out first year

B17a
01-19-2004, 04:18 PM
Two things will likely happen if you move away:

1) You will have the time of your life, make new friends, mature quickly and do well in school.

or

2) You will become damn near an alcoholic, blow through tons of cash (if its parents money even worse), flunk out and become a lethargic slug!

Of course there's varying degrees in between but you'll most likely end up close to one or the other!

^SkylinE^
01-19-2004, 04:27 PM
If you just wanna party save up and travel the world for a while....if your serious go to school!

Talies R
01-19-2004, 04:37 PM
Have you thought about school in Australia?

hustler
01-19-2004, 06:07 PM
no i havent
it would be fun but maddd expensive

kaput
01-19-2004, 07:26 PM

Chim
01-19-2004, 07:28 PM
Where did you get the second worst university from? I beleive it was only the medical school that was ranked second worst, but overall U of C is somewhere around 12th in the country, according to MacLeans Magazine.

12th out of 13 universities man. However, the U of C has the 83rd best business school in the world (out of 3000) so if you're into that then go for it.

kaput
01-19-2004, 07:46 PM

ShOwOfF
01-19-2004, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by Chim

12th out of 13 universities man. However, the U of C has the 83rd best business school in the world (out of 3000) so if you're into that then go for it.

Actually there are more like 47 accredited universities in Canada, but i'll admit I was wrong about the 12th, it was 19th overall in the 2003 Macleans ranking.

Wildcat
01-19-2004, 11:39 PM
hey if you do decide to move away i suggest finding a hobby, it seems to make the days go by just a little faster... i made a chess set. :D :rofl:

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=27556&highlight=chess+set

403Gemini
01-20-2004, 01:50 AM
im not good at saying good bye so id recommend staying. but thats my opinion

Gondi Stylez
01-20-2004, 09:04 AM
it depends.. some things might just work out better if u stayed... but going away would be nice.. ive decied to finsih my ndergrad in calgray then move to the states... saves me lots of $$ and also less of a chance fuckin up in school.. if you plan on doing something that takes atlot of school, ie. med, eng etc. then you may what to think twice before you make the decision to move! im doin med. and i think if i had left this year i prolly wouldnt be doin as well this year! parties will come all te time... imigine all the million dollar parties.. but once ur in school and its becomes more serious, put ur 150% effort into that.. or you may regret it! just my .02$ (its also how ive been brought up, education first, parties after.. but b4 uni.. doesnt happen like that!! hahaha and usually now too.. jjust keep ur priorities!:thumbsup:!

Gondi Stylez
01-20-2004, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by ^SkylinE^
If you just wanna party save up and travel the world for a while....if your serious go to school!

what i said in a sentence!:werd:

Bruce Chan
01-20-2004, 09:28 AM
what kinds of engineering are u want to be?
the best !?
I think any place also can have the best engineering come out.
in my opinion, the only problem is $money.
which place are good at engineering? which is the best ?
i think you already have the answer.:thumbsup:

MerfBall
01-20-2004, 09:34 AM
You really have to consider why you are moving out. If it is to go to a good engineering/tech school like Waterloo or SFU than go for it.

If you are moving out for the sake of moving out, then don't do it. Save the money that you would spend on living expenses living on your own to either pay for school or invest it. Although it is a good experience, it's not that great of an experience when you are in school, you only add one extra thing onto the list of stress (i.e. money). It's a much better experience living on your own when you are working full time.

hustler
01-20-2004, 12:32 PM
hmmmm interesting now the opinions r relly flyin

hustler
01-20-2004, 12:33 PM
thanks kaput ill keep in touch