PDA

View Full Version : Replacing car/insurance on a weekend

whatthe
06-26-2011, 09:27 AM
I sold one of my cars and would like to replace it today if I can. Since my insurance company is closed today (TD), does anybody know off hand if I can transfer the plates, keep the bill of sale for the car I sold, and use the plates from this car and still be insured?

I found this regarding registration.

http://www.transportation.alberta.ca/1951.htm

Since you can't really register a vehicle without being insured, this should apply to insurance as well shouldn't it? Does anybody know for sure?

I looked over my policy, and it doesn't specifically say. Is this covered under the insurance act?

Masked Bandit
06-26-2011, 09:50 AM
Is the replacement vehicle new to you or is it one you've had parked?

whatthe
06-26-2011, 10:11 AM
It will be new to me

Cos
06-26-2011, 10:58 AM
Do not trust me on this, read your policy, I dont want a bitch thread that you got a ticket later on.

With that being said, you may have a rider that allows the transfer of a vehicle. Check your policy out. It has to be a policy for a vehicle you just sold and only covers a vehicle you just acquired.

Masked Bandit
06-27-2011, 12:58 PM
I know it's a little late now being that I'm assuming you've already called your company today but under the right circumstances you would have had coverage for the new car. There are a few specific qualifiers that need to be met but it can be done.