PDA

View Full Version : do you carry knife when you go out?

rob the knob
06-26-2011, 03:25 PM
Altercation leaves 2 with stab wounds
CBC News Posted: Jun 26, 2011 2:06 PM MT Last Updated: Jun 26, 2011 2:06 PM MT
Share with Add ThisPrint this storyE-mail this story
Two people were stabbed during an altercation in Calgary early Sunday morning.

Police say a 24-year-old man was stabbed several times in the back on 8 Avenue, near Centre Street South.

He was taken to hospital where he remains in serious, non-life threatening condition.

A 22-year-old man was stabbed in the arm during the same altercation. He was taken to hospital in stable condition.

Police say the suspect, described as an Asian male, was seen fleeing the area on foot toward 9 Avenue.

Police say it is not clear if the incident is gang-related

rob the knob
06-26-2011, 03:25 PM
Banff stabbing leaves 1 in serious condition
CBC News Posted: Jun 26, 2011 12:15 PM MT Last Updated: Jun 26, 2011 12:15 PM MT
One man is in serious condition in a Calgary hospital after he was stabbed at a night club in Banff early Sunday morning.

Police say the stabbing happened at about 1:45 a.m. MT.

A man who worked at the bar was stabbed numerous times during an alternation with a large group of people.

The victim was taken to a hospital in Calgary, where he remains in serious but stable condition.

Two suspects were arrested by police nearby after being identified by witnesses and bystanders. A third suspect was arrested a short time later.

No names have been released and charges have not been laid.

Police are asking any witnesses to contact Banff RCMP at 403-763-6600 or Crime Stoppers 1-800-222-8477.

Isaiah
06-26-2011, 03:43 PM
Ya, pack a shank twenfo-sen.

Chojo
06-26-2011, 04:06 PM
Just wondering... is it legal to carry a concealed knife? Or is it no different than carrying a concealed gun?

Yesterday, this fat old white guy (that I didn't know) went out of his way to push me with his elbow and told me to watch where I was going while I was walking around Prince's Island Park with my friend... I wasn't even anywhere near him :rofl:

I gave a big "**** you" to him and he started yelling threats at me in broad daylight, heh heh. First time anything like this has happened to me.

It would be nice to be prepared in case anything gets out of hand :)

Guillermo
06-26-2011, 04:10 PM
i don't know if it's legal, but I wear my Buck knife on my belt when i'm camping or working in the field. it's amazing how handy that thing is when you're camping, or working. it's kinda funny cause I wouldn't even consider it when i'm in the city LOL :nut:

Rat Fink
06-26-2011, 04:33 PM

broken_legs
06-26-2011, 04:37 PM
Only criminals should be allowed to carry knives.

J-D
06-26-2011, 04:42 PM
I often carry one when I'm working or hiking, and really don't see the problem with someone carrying a small knife around - but when alcohol is involved the knife shouldn't be on their person.

lil*tymer
06-26-2011, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by Rat Fink

I don't care who you are, if you go to a bar with a knife on you then at least some part of you is prepared to use one whether there is a good reason or not.

I don't carry a knife or any form of weapon on me. I used to hide a knife in my truck when I was trucking in case of a break-in. If some dude pulled a knife on me he better kill me right there because that is what I'll go for and I'll definately kill him.

So basically you were prepared to use it if there was a good reason. Just saying that could be the case with someone who perhaps walks his dog in a shady area at night, or frequents shady nightclubs.

rob the knob
06-26-2011, 04:45 PM
you are prepared to stab man?

Originally posted by Chojo
Just wondering... is it legal to carry a concealed knife? Or is it no different than carrying a concealed gun?

Yesterday, this fat old white guy (that I didn't know) went out of his way to push me with his elbow and told me to watch where I was going while I was walking around Prince's Island Park with my friend... I wasn't even anywhere near him :rofl:

I gave a big "**** you" to him and he started yelling threats at me in broad daylight, heh heh. First time anything like this has happened to me.

It would be nice to be prepared in case anything gets out of hand :)

Cos
06-26-2011, 04:57 PM
I pack a dan bong. Used to pack a knife but everyone knows what a knife is. A little dan bong. No one has a clue lol.

psycoticclown
06-26-2011, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by rob the knob
Banff stabbing leaves 1 in serious condition
CBC News Posted: Jun 26, 2011 12:15 PM MT Last Updated: Jun 26, 2011 12:15 PM MT
One man is in serious condition in a Calgary hospital after he was stabbed at a night club in Banff early Sunday morning.

Police say the stabbing happened at about 1:45 a.m. MT.

A man who worked at the bar was stabbed numerous times during an alternation with a large group of people.

The victim was taken to a hospital in Calgary, where he remains in serious but stable condition.

Two suspects were arrested by police nearby after being identified by witnesses and bystanders. A third suspect was arrested a short time later.

No names have been released and charges have not been laid.

Police are asking any witnesses to contact Banff RCMP at 403-763-6600 or Crime Stoppers 1-800-222-8477.

I was in Banff last night and left Aurora which is pretty much next to Dancing Sasquatch where this happened at 1:47 and saw the aftermath of this. I think somebody else got stabbed too cause when we were walking back to the hotel, about a block down, there was another guy holding his leg, the front of his thigh was bleeding and blood all over the sidewalk too. The bouncers called for cops too.

A guy my roommate knows was stabbed a couple weeks ago in Lethbridge outside a bar. Apparently it all started over an argument about a spilled drink. Pretty classy people out there.

Saw the aftermath of this one too, apparently the guy got kicked out of the bar, went to the alleyway to take a piss and got stabbed multiple times, if he wasn't a bigger guy, he woulda been dead. Stabber was apparently in a lifted F150 and cops found him like right away.

Guillermo
06-26-2011, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by J-D
I often carry one when I'm working or hiking, and really don't see the problem with someone carrying a small knife around - but when alcohol is involved the knife shouldn't be on their person.

and of course there's a difference between carrying it as a tool and carrying it as a weapon. i've never had a reason or a desire to carry any weapon in my entire life LOL... that's adolescent street thug shit :rolleyes:

Kloubek
06-26-2011, 05:20 PM
I do not believe it is illegal to carry a knife at all, as long it is not one that can open automatically. (Ie: switchblade)

The only thing is length restriction which comes into effect if it is concealed - where something with more than 3-4 inch blade is considered illegal to hide.

I used to carry a knife around with me all the time. Now I only have a 1 1/2 inch swiss army knife as a keychain... not exactly something that will strike fear in many men. Or women.

Shlade
06-26-2011, 05:34 PM
anything under 6 inches is considered legal as long as its not concealed? Atleast thats what I heard. Do not quote me on it tho.

I know a lot of people who have the little one in their front or back pockets. The little metal handle sticks out of their pocket so you can see it.

I personally do not see the point in carrying one. If I did Id probably never use it. Just as if your carrying a gun and somebody robs you. If you have any common sense your not going to shoot them since youll just get in major shit. Same goes with the knife. I think its just something to make people feel comfortable that their "safe" and can defend them selves.

Its a grey area I think with this stuff.

Cos
06-26-2011, 05:44 PM
The problem with a knife is as soon as you pull it shit gets serious no matter how big of a deal it was originally. If you just deal with it with your hands (which few people seem to do now adays) there is less of a chance of an escalation.

I carry my tool because of the retards who carry knives. If you come at me with fists I doubt I will use my tool, however you pull a knife it isnt fair for me to only have my fists. I have seen too many thugs with knives lately, thank god they dont know how to use them properly.

dirtsniffer
06-26-2011, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by Shlade
anything under 6 inches is considered legal as long as its not concealed? Atleast thats what I heard. Do not quote me on it tho.
I know a lot of people who have the little one in their front or back pockets. The little metal handle sticks out of their pocket so you can see it.

if the whole knife or its sheath is not visible it is concealed

J-hop
06-26-2011, 05:58 PM
^ that is a good point to bring up (Cos). If someone starts a fist fight with you and you defend yourself with a knife and seriously hurt the person, chances are YOU are going to jail regardless of whether or not they initiated it.

Cos
06-26-2011, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by J-hop
^ that is a good point to bring up (Cos). If someone starts a fist fight with you and you defend yourself with a knife and seriously hurt the person, chances are YOU are going to jail regardless of whether or not they initiated it.

You have to be very thoughtful about appropriate use of force even as a civilian. A lady who was Canadian champion in Judo (who was a brown belt against black belts) was raped a few years ago because she took the guy down, but being worried about excessive use of force she didnt finish him, he got up, stabbed her in the stomach and raped her. How she didnt die I dont know.

Since that story I have always tried to make sure I am protected to a level I am happy with. I am not one to start fights, hell I dont even try to get involved if someone wants to start one, however I know that if we get to a point I am going to have to defend myself. Unless you are a big dude with a high pain tolerance chances are I am going to take you down.

Just to clarify to all of you who think I am a thug. I havent been in a fight since grade school and my buddy I was trying technique on (who I knew had a high tolerance for pain) is the one who scares me into being sure that if the pain doesnt work I can at least immobilize someone.

FraserB
06-26-2011, 06:15 PM
So many people have them and probably don't know how to use them properly in a situation where you are putting it into someone.

That being said, mine is simply a tool that I carry around. I think legal length is around 4".

Guillermo
06-26-2011, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by Cos

I carry my tool because of the retards who carry knives. If you come at me with fists I doubt I will use my tool, however you pull a knife it isnt fair for me to only have my fists. I have seen too many thugs with knives lately, thank god they dont know how to use them properly.

LOL, do you really have a problem with people "coming at you?" where would you have to hang out for this to be a problem? the sidewalks of forest lawn or dover? i really don't see why anyone would need to arm themselves in the first place, unless they are an adolescent street thug who is out looking for a fight. :dunno:

Cos
06-26-2011, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by Guillermo

LOL, do you really have a problem with people "coming at you?" where would you have to hang out for this to be a problem? the sidewalks of forest lawn or dover? i really don't see why anyone would need to arm themselves in the first place, unless they are an adolescent street thug who is out looking for a fight. :dunno:

i will give you the benefit of the doubt that you didnt get a chance to read my last post. No I have never run into it personally. However a few people I know who have been attacked (robbed, raped, car jack, lipping off and deserved to get attacked, whatever) almost every time there has been a knife involved.

Also I should note I havent been to a club since I was 23.

cam_wmh
06-26-2011, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by Cos

i will give you the benefit of the doubt that you didnt get a chance to read my last post. No I have never run into it personally. However a few people I know who have been attacked (robbed, raped, car jack, lipping off and deserved to get attacked, whatever) almost every time there has been a knife involved.

That's a frightening world you live in.

Carrying a knife for hurting another human with?
Born & raised Calgarian, and would never consider carrying one.

I don't imagine it would be a demographic I'd be comfortable being in either.

Unknown303
06-26-2011, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by Cos

I just bring my fists and my disturbingly high pain threshold with me. Though i don't put myself in situations that can start fiights.

Cos
06-26-2011, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by cam_wmh

That's a frightening world you live in.

Carrying a knife for hurting another human with?
Born & raised Calgarian, and would never consider carrying one.

I don't imagine it would be a demographic I'd be comfortable being in either.

Like I said one guy was robbed (had a knife presented to him, he didnt do anything except to comply), the girl who I met at a competition was raped (in ontario), a buddy of mine was car jacked in Vancouver downtown, and had a buddy here stabbed but he was being a lippy ass and probably deserved it.

Like I said never personally have run into it. I was born and raised here too. Lived in Van for a while and Van is a much scarier place than Calgary. I started to take self-defense classes AFTER I was presented in a couple situations where I am not comfortable. My art is not meant for anything except to defend against attack. We do not learn how to be the attacker and do not spar in competitions. For physical activity I played soccer for 12 years before this. Haha

Originally posted by Unknown303

I just bring my fists and my disturbingly high pain threshold with me. Though i don't put myself in situations that can start fiights.

And you're the mofo that made me even more worried. :rofl:

Maybelater
06-26-2011, 06:57 PM
A guy my roommate knows was stabbed a couple weeks ago in Lethbridge outside a bar. Apparently it all started over an argument about a spilled drink. Pretty classy people out there.

I actually found Lethbridge to be really relaxed and fun at the bars when I went out there, isn't full of meatheads.

max_boost
06-26-2011, 07:08 PM
Crazy. No I don't carry a knife and it doesn't cross my mind either that I'm going to get jacked or get into a situation where I need to stab someone. :dunno:

Toilet_D
06-26-2011, 07:21 PM

Try 14th street in macewan, wherei was walking with friends, when a green carolla pulled up for no reason and lipped us off, after i knocked the clown senseless, i got jumped by his friend, so basically, you dont know when you would need a tool for a situation like that. Now, beforeyousay ANYTHING like, well what right did you have tohit him, remember, this was unprovoked, he came at us.

Honestly, im all for packing a knife, if someone is dumb enough to attack you, fuck em, put a knife in their hip.

J-hop
06-26-2011, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by Toilet_D

Try 14th street in macewan, wherei was walking with friends, when a green carolla pulled up for no reason and lipped us off, after i knocked the clown senseless, i got jumped by his friend, so basically, you dont know when you would need a tool for a situation like that. Now, beforeyousay ANYTHING like, well what right did you have tohit him, remember, this was unprovoked, he came at us.

Honestly, im all for packing a knife, if someone is dumb enough to attack you, fuck em, put a knife in their hip.

i'm seriously confused. He didn't really come at you LOL, he lipped you off from a car, big deal keep walking, pussy ass highschool kids do that ALL the time for shits and to feel tough.

Seems like you are the reason people feel they need to arm themselves, not some punk ass trying to show off to his friends.

Toilet_D
06-26-2011, 08:03 PM

i'm seriously confused. He didn't really come at you LOL, he lipped you off from a car, big deal keep walking, pussy ass highschool kids do that ALL the time for shits and to feel tough.

Seems like you are the reason people feel they need to arm themselves, not some punk ass trying to show off to his friends.

No, he walked from his car, to me, i had done nothing, just walking with friends, if you're confused, its because you cant read! I hithim when he pulled his armback to swing at me. I didnt just run up and clock him :p

Let me put this simpler, i hit him to keep him from hitting me.
Now that ive cleared that up, a knife would have been nice when i got jumped by his friends. Sure as fuck wouldnt have been jumped if a knife was present.

There, make sense now, asshole?

J-hop
06-26-2011, 08:21 PM
whoa temper temper, me thinks you engaged his beaking and he came after you like a tool (him being the tool). Or could be a completely deranged individual.

I've had people lip me off from cars, never ever ran into a situation where backing down and saying "alright man, I'm not looking for trouble" hasn't worked. You engage someone verbally on the other hand and situations easily escalate.

BTW if you knocked the kid down and continued to beat him while he was on the ground if either you or him went to the cops about it you would be charged as well. You are allowed to defend yourself within reason, but pulling a knife in a fist fight or beating a guy senseless once he is down means you'll be getting charged in the event it goes to the police.

Guillermo
06-26-2011, 08:21 PM
LOL, cos and Toilet_D, your stories sound like they're straight outta Grand Theft Auto :rofl:

Toilet_D
06-26-2011, 08:33 PM
whoa temper temper, me thinks you engaged his beaking and he came after you like a tool (him being the tool). Or could be a completely deranged individual.

I've had people lip me off from cars, never ever ran into a situation where backing down and saying "alright man, I'm not looking for trouble" hasn't worked. You engage someone verbally on the other hand and situations easily escalate.

BTW if you knocked the kid down and continued to beat him while he was on the ground if either you or him went to the cops about it you would be charged as well. You are allowed to defend yourself within reason, but pulling a knife in a fist fight or beating a guy senseless once he is down means you'll be getting charged in the event it goes to the police.

I dont think you understand what im saying here fella. It was unprovoked!
There was no verbal engagement or engage of any kindu til i went and defended myself dumbass. The guy was fucked up, came at mefor no reason, i clocked him, he came back at me staggering, i kicked the shit out of him. Beyond reason or not, i did what ihad to do to keep him away.

Now, when hisfriends jumped in, the knife would be handy, not to kill them, but to deter them from swarming you, if not jab a few legs.

Knocking him unconcious kept him from getting up. And dont go saying people have tempers when you are being a little smart ass, act like a douche, get treated like one.

Toilet_D
06-26-2011, 08:36 PM
LOL, cos and Toilet_D, your stories sound like they're straight outta Grand Theft Auto :rofl:

Youve just never been in that situation, hell, i didnt either until it happened to me.

Things like that happen man, and when you're getting fucked over like that, youll be wishing you had that knife.. I did.

Sorry,but i agree with cos hunnerd per, fella.

Guillermo
06-26-2011, 08:42 PM

Youve just never been in that situation, hell, i didnt either until it happened to me.

Things like that happen man, and when you're getting fucked over like that, youll be wishing you had that knife.. I did.

Sorry,but i agree with cos hunnerd per, fella.

i just can't take anything you say seriously. after all, you are the biggest and best troll on beyond. :rofl:

Toilet_D
06-26-2011, 08:46 PM

i just can't take anything you say seriously. after all, you are the biggest and best troll on beyond. :rofl:

Hahaha, no doubt, i havemy for serious moments though. :love:

J-hop
06-26-2011, 08:49 PM

I dont think you understand what im saying here fella. It was unprovoked!
There was no verbal engagement or engage of any kindu til i went and defended myself dumbass. The guy was fucked up, came at mefor no reason, i clocked him, he came back at me staggering, i kicked the shit out of him. Beyond reason or not, i did what ihad to do to keep him away.

Now, when hisfriends jumped in, the knife would be handy, not to kill them, but to deter them from swarming you, if not jab a few legs.

Knocking him unconcious kept him from getting up. And dont go saying people have tempers when you are being a little smart ass, act like a douche, get treated like one.

well I apologize. I did jump to conclusions. So often you hear people claim attacks were unprovoked, then later it comes out that they told the person to fuck off or something of that nature.

Toilet_D
06-26-2011, 08:53 PM

well I apologize. I did jump to conclusions. So often you hear people claim attacks were unprovoked, then later it comes out that they told the person to fuck off or something of that nature.

No worries, i still find you incred tractive

J-hop
06-26-2011, 09:02 PM
good to know I still got it ;)

Mar
06-26-2011, 09:15 PM
I'm on a forum with bunch of idiots....

Toilet_D
06-26-2011, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by Mar

We're here, we're queer. Get used to it.

Unknown303
06-26-2011, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by Mar

I should knife you for saying that.

Cos
06-26-2011, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by Unknown303

I should knife you for saying that.

no no, he doesnt believe that happens IRL. Lol

Troll-ol
06-26-2011, 10:10 PM
A knife? Depends which hood I'm in , usually gotta stay strapped

Hamann
06-26-2011, 11:02 PM
I used to carry a Little 4 inch folding knife in my pocket for work, you'd be suprised how often the thing ends up being useful (even when not on a jobsite). Now I usually either have a full size or mini leatherman on me, damn things always come in handy.

As for carrying a knife for protection, never thought of it, but I definitely understand it. Seem's like everyday you hear about shit happening, and to be honest if someone pulled a knife on me I'd sure be glad to atleast have a knife of my own on me :dunno:

To each their own I suppose, I see no reason to comment on someone else's decision on having something on them that is completely within their legal rights. If you don't want to carry a knife then fine, but just because you don't want to/see the need to or whatever doesn't give you the right to tell other people what they can/can't do.

Cos
06-26-2011, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by Hamann
I used to carry a Little 4 inch folding knife in my pocket for work, you'd be suprised how often the thing ends up being useful (even when not on a jobsite). Now I usually either have a full size or mini leatherman on me, damn things always come in handy.

As for carrying a knife for protection, never thought of it, but I definitely understand it. Seem's like everyday you hear about shit happening, and to be honest if someone pulled a knife on me I'd sure be glad to atleast have a knife of my own on me :dunno:

To each their own I suppose, I see no reason to comment on someone else's decision on having something on them that is completely within their legal rights. If you don't want to carry a knife then fine, but just because you don't want to/see the need to or whatever doesn't give you the right to tell other people what they can/can't do.

Yeah I only ever pulled out my knife to cut rope or cut a box open. Hence why I dont miss it much now.

beyond_ban
06-26-2011, 11:14 PM
I keep a knife in my car... never had to use it for anything other then when i go camping. I`d rather have it and not need it then need it and not have it.

Feruk
06-27-2011, 09:06 AM
I'm actually completely shocked how many of you carry knives; scary! You can pull the "it's for my protection" nonsense all you want, but it's the same argument Americans pull out for gun ownership. The results? Huge gun crime in the states. Guns and knives serve ONE purpose: killing people.

I had this one clown I went partying with bring a knife into the club for "protection." He was never invited out again.

colsankey
06-27-2011, 09:13 AM
Actually in IT, I bet I use a 3" folding blade EVERY day for something. Cutting open boxes at home/onsite, removing PC screws from the back of a case, jimming that random "son of a bitch is stuck" random component free gently, rather than reefing on it by hand. Cutting a piece of fruit for the wife or myself when travelling, camping, cutting those hard plastic wrapes on boxes, etc.

In 12 years, I've never pulled it out once to use on a person, but I also grew up in a small town where we didn't get scared just seeing someone hold a knife or gun.

Kloubek
06-27-2011, 09:15 AM
I see the pros and the cons of carrying.

It is the same argument one can make for keeping a gun in the house.

On one hand, it may escalate the situation to another level where you do *not* want it to be. It opens up the possibility of being charged if you use it.

On the other hand, it *may* save your life on the off chance you ever needed to use it.

The only real difference I see here is that when you carry a knife, you are physically aware of it being on your person. With my shotgun, I keep it locked in a gun safe and pretty much forget about it being there most of the time.

In both cases, I think these are "last resort" items, and should never make an appearance unless absolutely required.

Not really sure where people get off putting down those who carry a knife though. It is really a matter of personal choice if you aren't breaking the law. A knife is a useful tool to have in many situations, and who knows - maybe one day someone who is carrying might happen to save your life one day because of it.

Yes, it is unlikely. But possible.

LollerBrader
06-27-2011, 09:30 AM
Oddly, I carry three:

A 1.5 inch pocket knife in pocket
A multitool in my day-pack.
A 1 inch folding razor in my wallet.

Incredibly usefuly, but I couldn't conceive of using any of them as a weapon.

b_t
06-27-2011, 09:38 AM
i carry a bible in my pocket and wave it around whenever shit goes down. "turn the other cheek... motherfucker!" worse comes to worse I can use it as a shield

LollerBrader
06-27-2011, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by Kloubek
I see the pros and the cons of carrying.

It is the same argument one can make for keeping a gun in the house.

On one hand, it may escalate the situation to another level where you do *not* want it to be. It opens up the possibility of being charged if you use it.

On the other hand, it *may* save your life on the off chance you ever needed to use it.

Heinlein says that guns make people dumb - And he's right. Being unarmed makes you dig deep and think hard.

Having a weapon increases the chance of a bad outcome.

Situations that necessitate carrying a gun for survival should be avoided - Easily done in Canada.

Skyline_Addict
06-27-2011, 10:17 AM
What about nunchucks? Nunchucks are my weapon of choice!

LollerBrader
06-27-2011, 10:21 AM

Absolutely. It takes balls to walk away.

I had a buddy who got into one of these "unavoidable" situations and "Did what it took" to defend himself.

He ended up spending 10 years in drumheller. During that time, I went to clubs, biked, ran, and did martial arts.
Read 50 books, had a few relationships, and got a formal education. Ate ice cream. Traveled. Built my career. Had hobbies.

When he finally got out, he had nothing. His old friends initially tried to be supportive, but had nothing in common with him, and were a bit wary of him.

He will end up doing ok... because he's just that kind of guy. Any shot at greatness has passed.

But at least he proved that no one was going to fuck with him.

You only get one shot at life.

colsankey
06-27-2011, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by Skyline_Addict

Nuncuhcks fall under the category: it's really stupid, but they are are illegal :(

LUCKYSTRIKE
06-27-2011, 10:32 AM
ya i got a knife

COME AT ME BRO

Unknown303
06-27-2011, 10:35 AM
01NHcTM5IA4

TKRIS
06-27-2011, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by Feruk
knives serve ONE purpose: killing people.

This is the dumbest thing I've ever read on this forum.
Actually, it's the dumbest thing I've read on any forum.
I used to always have a knife in my pocket when I worked in an office, but since I've been doing field work I started carrying a fixed blade and a multitool in my bag and I rarely ever carry a folder anymore. I'd like to find a multitool for carrying, but haven't found anything that meets me needs yet.

I have a knife because it's an incredibly useful tool, not because I think I might have to stab someone. That said, I wouldn't carry a knife I didn't think was strong enough to stab someone.

Cos
06-27-2011, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by Skyline_Addict

Originally posted by colsankey

Nuncuhcks fall under the "it's really stupid, but they are are illegal" :(

Correct nunchucks fall under a 'flex weapon'. Sad thing is that you cant even get a permit for it at all so most martial arts have to train with fake plastic ones now.....

Hamann
06-27-2011, 11:11 AM
I'm actually completely shocked how many of you carry knives; scary! You can pull the "it's for my protection" nonsense all you want, but it's the same argument Americans pull out for gun ownership. The results? Huge gun crime in the states. Guns and knives serve ONE purpose: killing people.

I had this one clown I went partying with bring a knife into the club for "protection." He was never invited out again.

How about pull your head out of your ass and do some research. State's that have open + concealed carry legislation have a drop in violent crime, while states with the strictest gun control legislation have noticably higher violent crime rates, just look at how bad Chicago got when they banned hand guns.

Also comparing the total number of gun crimes between the country's it quite idiotic, we have 30 million people while they have 300 Million, they are going to have more of everything than us :facepalm:

tirebob
06-27-2011, 11:16 AM
I always carry a small 3 inch stockman style folding pocket knife with me. It is the handiest tool one can imagine. it gets used pretty much daily for everything from cutting open boxes, to an emergency screw driver to cleaning a fingernail or whatever. Never considered it protection though...

broken_legs
06-27-2011, 12:32 PM

go read a book.

GREENBOY
06-27-2011, 02:09 PM
There is nothing that says 'total pussy' quite like a guy who carries a knife for protection or aggression. Being willing to stab someone doesn't make you tough. It usually means you're a coward who can't fight very well so you carry a weapon to try and make up for the fact. I have zero respect for anyone who would use a knife. When you do eventually use it and go to prison without your knife to back you up life is going to get get difficult fast.

civic_stylez
06-27-2011, 02:48 PM
Master Tsai's 3am infomercials taught me EVERYTHING i need to know about protecting myself. Knives??? pshhhh childs play... im prepared to handle bats( both wood AND the flying kind), guns, zombies, bricks, mobs, fat chicks and ninjas.

http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/6/7/0/1/6/0/webimg/429999584_tp.jpg

calgary403
06-27-2011, 03:32 PM
knives serve ONE purpose: killing people.

How do you cut your food? Hopes and dreams?

lilmira
06-27-2011, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by calgary403

You don't use a knife, you use a wife to do that.

Zenops'_Mom
06-27-2011, 04:06 PM
Lolololol. I carry a needle full of aids infested blood. Let's do the damn thing.

freshprince1
06-27-2011, 04:13 PM
I carry a pocket knife all the time. Usually a 2-3 inch folding knife, cycling between my Kershaws and Gerber. I carry it as a tool and it often comes in handy.

I carry a small Winchester fixed blade in my car, had in in there after a camping trip and just decided to leave it.

Gerber:
http://www.thebestknives.eu/1883-5754-large/gerber-mini-remix-g0163-couteau-de-poche.jpg

Kershaw's
http://cn1.kaboodle.com/hi/img/2/0/0/156/c/AAAAAkAqezkAAAAAAVbEmQ.jpg?v=1222828860000
http://www.rnkcityknives.com/media/05/a20791e12f4f8f2fa0a1c0_m.JPG

Winchester (cheapo):
http://www.southwestgerberknives.com/components/com_virtuemart/shop_image/product/Winchester_22_41_4c22b77c102ec.jpg

freshprince1
06-27-2011, 04:15 PM
double post. sorry.

Toilet_D
06-27-2011, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by calgary403

LOL

Shlade
06-27-2011, 06:35 PM
Lets all start carrying hand guns like the people in texas.

gt2871r
06-27-2011, 07:03 PM
I have a wooden bat with a railway spike through the end of it with dark red paint on it.

Mar
06-27-2011, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by Cos

Correct nunchucks fall under a 'flex weapon'. Sad thing is that you cant even get a permit for it at all so most martial arts have to train with fake plastic ones now.....

You can make a pair of nunchucks in your basement with supplies from Home Depot. If you want to train, just make some.

I like to carry ninja stars when I go out. And a whistle.

BigMass
06-27-2011, 07:29 PM

gtfo of my way or i'll lop your nads off
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q33/lexo_usa/ESPADA%20KUKRI%20NATCHEZ/CIMG5699.jpg

PS, Pic is just pulled off google images but i love both knifes. The Espada XL and the Natchez Bowie. Who doesn't love a folding knife that can fly some heads?

BTW You know nothing about gun crime. The most gun crime is in states with the strictest gun laws. More strict THAN CANADA. The least amount of gun crime is in states with the most lax gun laws that allow their citizens the right to carry and defend themselves. And that is fact, deal with it.

C_Dave45
06-27-2011, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by GREENBOY
There is nothing that says 'total pussy' quite like a guy who carries a knife for protection or aggression. Being willing to stab someone doesn't make you tough. It usually means you're a coward who can't fight very well so you carry a weapon to try and make up for the fact. I have zero respect for anyone who would use a knife. When you do eventually use it and go to prison without your knife to back you up life is going to get get difficult fast.

x2! Awesome post!

BigMass
06-27-2011, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by C_Dave45

x2! Awesome post!

it's actually an idiotic post but w/e floats your boat. Self defense is being a pussy? Why do you think police carry guns, tasers and batons? Because they’re pussies and can’t get into a fair fist fight with a criminal?

Isaiah
06-27-2011, 07:42 PM
I always carry a Swiss Army Adventurer in the car strictly as a tool and don't think it would even occur to me to use it as a weapon even if it was right there and someone threatened me.

I have a relatively active social life, meaning I'll usually be out 2-3 times/week, and I've never ever had anyone try to start a fight with me. I think it says a lot about the type of person you are and your behaviour if people randomly try to pick fights with you. I'm not saying it can't happen as a one-off, but that's the exception rather than the norm.

If someone did try to instigate something, I would choose to talk it over rather than reply with the typical North American macho mentality which is what results in the ego clashes.

Diplomacy for the win.

Isaiah
06-27-2011, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by BigMass

it's actually an idiotic post but w/e floats your boat. Self defense is being a pussy? Why do you think police carry guns, tasers and batons? Because they’re pussies and can’t get into a fair fist fight with a criminal?
Are you joking? Did you actually just play the 'police' card? Why do scuba divers wear oxygen tanks? Do you wear an oxygen tank?

BigMass
06-27-2011, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by Isaiah

Are you joking? Did you actually just play the 'police' card? Why do scuba divers wear oxygen tanks? Do you wear an oxygen tank?

WTF are you talking about. Police and the average citizen are both susceptible to crime and violence under normal daily circumstances. That is why theft, muggings, rapes and murders occur. What does a scuba diver and an oxygen tank have to do with the price of tea in China?

Isaiah
06-27-2011, 07:54 PM

WTF are you talking about. Police and the average citizen are both susceptible to crime and violence under normal daily circumstances. That is why theft, muggings, rapes and murders occur. What does a scuba diver and an oxygen tank have to do with the price of tea in China?
About as much as a random citizen has to worry about being attacked in Calgary. Police deal with crime every day, most civilized people only deal with it a couple times in a lifetime if that, especially living in Canada.

You in Forest Lawn bro?

C_Dave45
06-27-2011, 07:57 PM

-1 Idiotic post. Low intelligence...probably lower self esteem. :rofl:

CUG
06-27-2011, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by Isaiah

Are you joking? Did you actually just play the 'police' card? Why do scuba divers wear oxygen tanks? Do you wear an oxygen tank? Ehh.. if he's underwater for prolonged periods of time... I would support the idea that he does.

Mar
06-27-2011, 08:35 PM
How about pull your head out of your ass and do some research. State's that have open + concealed carry legislation have a drop in violent crime, while states with the strictest gun control legislation have noticably higher violent crime rates, just look at how bad Chicago got when they banned hand guns.

BTW You know nothing about gun crime. The most gun crime is in states with the strictest gun laws. More strict THAN CANADA. The least amount of gun crime is in states with the most lax gun laws that allow their citizens the right to carry and defend themselves. And that is fact, deal with it.
If you take something a lot of people do and make it illegal, of course the crime is going to go up......if breathing was illegal than we'd all go to jail.
states where carrying is illegal = people that carry go to jail
states where carrying is legal = people that carry don't go to jail
Presto, higher crime. Ya, you're both geniuses.

Also comparing the total number of gun crimes between the country's it quite idiotic, we have 30 million people while they have 300 Million, they are going to have more of everything than us :facepalm:
Per capita. Do you need a dictionary?

Hamann
06-27-2011, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by Mar

If you take something a lot of people do and make it illegal, of course the crime is going to go up......if breathing was illegal than we'd all go to jail.
states where carrying is illegal = people that carry go to jail
states where carrying is legal = people that carry don't go to jail
Presto, higher crime. Ya, you're both geniuses.

Per capita. Do you need a dictionary?

This was not about making "Something alot of people do illegal" I simply stated that states that bring in concealed carry or open carry legislation have a drop in VIOLENT CRIME

You are talking to the effect of people will carry regardless of the law, you are mistaking criminals with law abiding citizen's. Criminals do not obey laws, hence why they are CRIMINALS.

Thanks Tips :thumbsup: Never would of thought to look up Per capita statistics. I had thought they were about the same but found out different.

Some Quick Stat's (Of course I got these from searching google so they could very well be right out to lunch)

Violent Crime Rate per 100,000

Canada 1,326 (2008 Stat's Canada Number)
US 429 (FBI 2009 Stat's Number)
Texas 490
Vermont 131 (Not Really fair to compare, though it does have the most relaxed gun laws, it has a mostly rural population and no large cities)
District of Columbia 1,334
Tennessee 667

Redlyne_mr2
06-27-2011, 11:30 PM
Being into knives as a hobby is fine. Carrying a knife in case something happens is just redneck and asking for trouble.

TKRIS
06-28-2011, 12:10 PM
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." - Robert A. Heinlein

While we'll never agree on whether or not people should be allowed to carry tools for self defense, I would think we could agree that our society would be better off if we assumed everyone was.