PDA

View Full Version : References

stealth
06-29-2011, 02:22 PM
So I have an interview coming up with a company and they have asked me for my references to bring to the interview.

I have no problem giving them references but I find it awkward to give it before even accepting or being a final candidate for the position.

I do not want to call my old references for just an interview, I also do not want to use them often as I switched companies twice in the past year and a half.

I thought about putting fake references down, but don't feel comfortable doing that.

Would I come off as hiding something or a prick if I tell them in the interview that I would give them references if they decide to offer me a conditional offer of employment?

dirtsniffer
06-29-2011, 02:24 PM
^ Don't do that. give them references chances are they won't even contact them

stealth
06-29-2011, 02:50 PM
They are using a contracted company for the background checks so I think they will.

The thing is I am happy where I am at currently and would rather not use the references unless I knew I was offered a better position.

dandia89
06-29-2011, 03:08 PM
don't they usually ask for your references at the end of the interview?

how about waiting till the interview is done and see if its a company you'd want to work for? even if the interview didn't go as well and you want to work for them, i'm sure its not a huge deal if you give your references.

if you hated the interview, and what they said about the company is boring, just make up an excuse?

imo, if they were your references, i doubt they would care if they got a phone call every few months. i know i wouldn't care because i built up a relationship with that person and it's not a huge obligation to say a couple of nice things about the person.

Chandler_Racing
06-29-2011, 03:14 PM
Just tell them you're happy to provide references in the event you're a candidate they're considering making an offer too?

As a reference, I would be pissed of getting calls from a potential employer who had not decided on selecting the person as a candidate or the very least a short list.

ExtraSlow
06-29-2011, 03:20 PM
If you want their job, you have to play by thier rules.
If you don't want the job, that's up to you.

If I was them, and you told me that you wouldn't provide references unless you had a conditional job offer, I would cross you off my list right away.

M.alex
06-29-2011, 03:56 PM
You can always provide them w/ the references but request they do not contact them unless there's a conditional offer on the table.

This way you meet their requirement and yours.

GQBalla
06-29-2011, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by M.alex
You can always provide them w/ the references but request they do not contact them unless there's a conditional offer on the table.

This way you meet their requirement and yours.

This

Isaiah
06-29-2011, 04:46 PM
If they have asked you for references, they are seriously considering you as a candidate and they will only contact the references as a final formality before hiring you.

Sidebar: I provide professional, academic, and character references and they seem to love it.

chkolny541
06-29-2011, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
If you want their job, you have to play by thier rules.
If you don't want the job, that's up to you.

If I was them, and you told me that you wouldn't provide references unless you had a conditional job offer, I would cross you off my list right away.

it all comes down to this.

Demanding you have the job before you give your references kinda makes the POINT of references useless....

Rat Fink
06-29-2011, 06:40 PM

Mar
06-29-2011, 06:58 PM
I carry a references document in my phone so if the interview goes well and they ask for them, I email them the document right there. No messing around.

stealth
06-29-2011, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by chkolny541

it all comes down to this.

Demanding you have the job before you give your references kinda makes the POINT of references useless....

Almost every job works out like this...

You get an offer pending a completion of your background check which includes your references.

If everything checks out the conditions are removed and you are a full time employee and they send you a start date.

ExtraSlow
06-29-2011, 09:57 PM
Not any job I've applied for, ever.
The way it worked for me is they narrow it down to between two and five candidates, then call the references for each one. Then they give a firm, unconditional offer to the chosen candidate.
What kind of company writes a conditional offer? Maybe it's an industry specific thing, what kind of jobs are you talking about?

Isaiah
06-29-2011, 10:04 PM
Not any job I've applied for, ever.
The way it worked for me is they narrow it down to between two and five candidates, then call the references for each one. Then they give a firm, unconditional offer to the chosen candidate.
What kind of company writes a conditional offer? Maybe it's an industry specific thing, what kind of jobs are you talking about?
Firm offer? I think the question is what jobs have youbeen applying for? Every job I've ever applied for the offer was negotiable. I would never accept a company's initial offer without countering unless the remuneration is stated up front.

turbotrip
06-29-2011, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by Mar
I carry a references document in my phone so if the interview goes well and they ask for them, I email them the document right there. No messing around.

you must switch jobs a lot

Mar
06-29-2011, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by turbotrip

you must switch jobs a lot
Just had a lot of interviews when I was starting out in the field. Now I'm a contractor so I still interview a lot when someone wants me for a project.

ExtraSlow
06-30-2011, 06:19 AM
Originally posted by Isaiah

Firm offer? I think the question is what jobs have youbeen applying for? Every job I've ever applied for the offer was negotiable. I would never accept a company's initial offer without countering unless the remuneration is stated up front.
Yeah, the base pay is written in the offer letter, and in one of the interviews, we would have discussed benefits, bonuses, stock options and my current salary. Without that, how would they know what to offer?
These are for Engineering jobs at Oil and Gas companies.

Are you saying that there are offer letter that DON'T clearly lay out the compensation?

Isaiah
06-30-2011, 11:18 AM

Are you saying that there are offer letter that DON'T clearly lay out the compensation?
No. I took your post about a 'firm' offer to mean that the compensation on the offer letter is non-negotiable; as in firm, which is not the case. I believe that with very few exceptions one should always negotiate compensation once the initial offer is made unless it is done beforehand.

ExtraSlow
06-30-2011, 11:38 AM
Ah, yeah, I meant "firm" as in if you accept it, you get the job without any further messing around. There's usualyl room to negotiate things like starting date and salary.

Lots of people like to negotiate that salary, btu in my mind, if you negotiate an extra 5%, they'll just figure out a way to give you 5% less in raises over the next couple years. In the end, I think it all evens out.

That being said, the last offer I got was more than I was expecting, and a lot more than I was making, so there was really no grounds to negotiate.