PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone's Ipad take forever to charge?

President Obama
06-29-2011, 02:51 PM
I don't know if it's because I jailbroke it, but now it seems to take a good 4+ hours to fully charge, and it won't hold the charge as well as it used to..

Troll-ol
06-29-2011, 02:58 PM
my iphone can take like 3 hours when it's being gay. Sometimes it takes like an hour from 90 -100 percent

President Obama
06-29-2011, 03:00 PM
See my iphone is really good, sometimes its only takes an hour to get charged

and the ipad used to be a lot faster but now its slow as fuck

theken
06-30-2011, 12:38 AM
Depends what your charging from..my computer can take 8 hours. My old cord took an hour sometimes 2...I lost my apple plug in so my new one sucks says not charging when it is. But maybe try a new adapter from apple

Zephyr
06-30-2011, 01:40 AM
jailbreaking does affect the battery life. I ended up restoring back to factory because of it, and now its better.

Today I learned, Obama has an iPad.

Sdeibert
06-30-2011, 10:23 AM
Lol, Obama has had one for a while.. he even tweets. Why,, I :dunno:

Are you using the correct charger and not the iPhone one?

Are all your backgrounded apps closed? A good Cydia app is Remove Background/RemoveBackground SB Toggle. It will allow you to clear all your backgrounded apps with a single tap.

I generally use Circtious as it has a Memory clear function, so it will help with apps that drain bad.

My battery is definitely better then a regular iPad :) I have Screendimmer and it will act like a screen saver. So after 45 seconds my screen goes black and just a tap will bring it back up no lock/unlock. Saves lots of battery if your a heavy iPad user.

iceburns288
06-30-2011, 01:06 PM
This appears to be a common problem which I was gonna start looking into as a recall. I have an iPad, which was bought last November, which sometimes won't take a charge. Last week I left it on for 24 hours and it went from 19% to 30%.
I have two friends with iPads, both bought within a month of mine, that won't take a charge. We left my roommate's on a charger for 48 hours to find it had only charged from 3% to 12%.

This is all on an iPad 10W charger plugged into an outlet, and none of these iPads are jailbroken. My roommate and I also charged ours with no more than 1-2 apps open at the time.

The rest of the battery function is normal- it seems to last just as long and I get great performance out of it when it's charged, but charging it takes forever. Also both my friends' iPads have had this issue for a while, but mine started out pretty recently.

bball2
07-01-2011, 01:13 PM
I have an iPad 1, doesn't even charge at all through computer USB and takes about 4-6 hours to fully charge through the power adapter (compared to about 1-1.5 hours for iPhone)

Kardon
07-01-2011, 01:29 PM
I find that when I charge using the computer the charge takes longer but it seems to also last longer. Battery also doesn't warm up like when using ac adapter.

Sdeibert
07-02-2011, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by Kardon
I find that when I charge using the computer the charge takes longer but it seems to also last longer. Battery also doesn't warm up like when using ac adapter.

Are you talking your iPad charging through your computer?? Man that would take forever!!

If the screen is on, my iPad is 100mA (Charging) Max. That's no apps running and dips to -50mA (Draining) if I open any apps.

Now plugging it into the 10 Watt wall charger provided I get roughly 400mA (Charging)

So if it takes roughly 4-6 hours to go from 0 to 100 with a wall charger as people have mentioned charging from a computer would take, 16 hours.

MyMan23
07-02-2011, 03:34 PM
I believe the USB spec says a port should supply 500 mA minimum. I expect the iPad charger circuit/software draws less current if it detects that it is plugged into a computer so that other devices can exist on the same port.

It probably has to assume the worst case scenario, that it is plugged into a unpowered hub, driven by one powered usb port on the computer, which may be shared by multiple devices. Therefore current limiting itself to 100mA.