PDA

View Full Version : 23 yr old girl killed on Stoney Trail

maxwinedog
06-29-2011, 03:26 PM
http://www.globaltvcalgary.com/Calgary+woman+killed+serious+collision+Stoney+Trail/5024917/story.html

Stoney Trail was closed off for 4hrs today. Her friendd is very lucky to be alive, same with the man.

Uncle Flappy
06-29-2011, 03:29 PM
Hey Guys,

CALGARY – A young Calgary woman has died as a result of a serious collision near the intersection of Stoney Trail and Nose Hill Drive N.W. Tuesday afternoon. 23-year-old Alix Jessie Hesse was riding southbound on Stoney Trail in a Chevrolet Cavalier driven by her female friend when the pair made a left hand-turn onto eastbound Nosehill Drive. The women crossed in front of a man in a Chevrolet Avalanche who was driving northbound on Stoney Trail. The SUV hit the passenger side of the Cavalier, violently pushing the vehicle onto the grass on the east side of Nosehill Drive. The Avalanche rolled onto its roof but the 40-year-old man inside was not injured. Both women in the Cavalier were rushed to hospital in life-threatening condition. Hesse later died of her injuries. Investigators say speed and distracted driving may have been a factor in the collision. Police are asking anyone who witnessed the collision to contact them at 403-567-4000.

Markham

kevie88
06-29-2011, 03:47 PM
Don't text and turn left :(

maxwinedog
06-29-2011, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by kevie88
Don't text and turn left :(

Yip thats what i was thinking too, she was most likely playing with her cell phone. How can you not see a car coming from your left? Plus the roads on stoney are extra wide so very visible.

Zero102
06-29-2011, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by maxwinedog

Yip thats what i was thinking too, she was most likely playing with her cell phone. How can you not see a car coming from your left? Plus the roads on stoney are extra wide so very visible.

The car was coming the opposite direction, so during a turn that would be from the driver's right, not left.

Also, they police don't say what side the distracted driving was on. I have seen tons of people sail straight through red lights while they are busy texting. For all we know the avalanche driver was the inattentive one. It's still the girl's fault for turning when it wasn't safe to do so, but it might be a bit premature to hate on her. :dunno:

GQBalla
06-29-2011, 04:39 PM
It's a couple girls i went to school with unfortunately, RIP Alix.

but still yeah no goot

g-m
06-29-2011, 04:49 PM
lol jessie hesse what were her parents thinking

Cos
06-29-2011, 04:52 PM
That intersection is fucking scary when you are the one going north. No one can see shit. It is like a game of russian roulette.

Sorry to hear GQ.

GQBalla
06-29-2011, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by g-m
lol jessie hesse what were her parents thinking

her last name is pronounced hess

and making fun? that's low

racerocco
06-29-2011, 04:57 PM
Friends don't let friends drive Cavaliers....

GenerationX
06-29-2011, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by racerocco
Friends don't let friends drive Cavaliers....

are you trying to be funny?

maxwinedog
06-29-2011, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by Cos
That intersection is fucking scary when you are the one going north. No one can see shit. It is like a game of russian roulette.

Sorry to hear GQ.

http://maps.google.ca/maps?client=safari&rls=en&q=stoney%20trail%20and%20nose%20hill%20drive%20calgary&oe=UTF-8&redir_esc=&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wl

Looks pretty open to me.

racerocco
06-29-2011, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by GenerationX

are you trying to be funny?

Not at all, those things have terrible crash ratings, my sympathies go out to friends and family

Cos
06-29-2011, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by maxwinedog

http://maps.google.ca/maps?client=safari&rls=en&q=stoney%20trail%20and%20nose%20hill%20drive%20calgary&oe=UTF-8&redir_esc=&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wl

Looks pretty open to me.

Get people turning left into tuscany. You are coming north with a slight left hand curve. The people who are turning east cant see past the people turning west. It is a 80/90km/h intersection.

Trust me it is bad. Lots of people have to hammer on the brakes/swerve.

rojhero
06-29-2011, 05:17 PM
RIP.

Originally posted by racerocco

Not at all, those things have terrible crash ratings, my sympathies go out to friends and family

:werd:

Not to detract from the sadness of this incident, but I wonder how much of a difference the car made. Cavaliers aren't really known for their safety. Makes me wonder if she'd still be alive if they were driving a Focus, Civic, Corolla, or Golf.

From Wiki:

The third-generation Cavalier earned several low scores in crash tests by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety and National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. Also, IIHS fatality risks statistics rated the Cavalier among the "Highest rates of driver deaths," with 150 (4 door) to 171 (2 door) driver deaths per million registered vehicle years. Average for the Cavalier class (small) was 103 (4 door) to 134 (2 door) driver deaths per million registered vehicle years.[8]

The IIHS gave the 1995-2005 Cavalier a "Poor" overall score in their frontal offset collision test.[9]

2005 National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) Crash Test Ratings (coupe):[10]

Frontal Driver: 4 of 5
Frontal Passenger: 4 of 5
Side Driver: 1 of 5 *safety concern*
Side Rear Passenger: 2 of 5
Rollover: 4 of 5

IIHS test:
IIHS (http://www.iihs.org/ratings/rating.aspx?id=45)

Youtube video:
AuQta-Ftwy8

kenny
06-29-2011, 05:26 PM
High volume, high speed intersection. Luckily its being replaced by an interchange.

natejj
06-29-2011, 05:48 PM
Saw the Avalanche rolled over, what a tragedy. Was probably something stupid like texting too. Although could have just been the sun in someone's eyes or being distracted too.

89s1
06-29-2011, 06:00 PM
RIP.

Kritafo
06-29-2011, 09:25 PM
I seen both cars as well, I said when I seen the cavalier that someone probably died, very sad.

nzwasp
06-29-2011, 09:28 PM
I wonder if this is the same alix hesse whos father died last december according to google - if so thats pretty sad all round for the family.

Can't imagine too many people with the same name in Calgary.

beyond_ban
06-29-2011, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by Kritafo
I seen both cars as well, I said when I seen the cavalier that someone probably died, very sad.

You seen it? you really seen it?

:facepalm:

Kona9
06-29-2011, 09:41 PM

:banghead: SAW not seen

RIP! Way too young. I too hope it wasn't a texting incident.

syritis
06-30-2011, 01:08 AM
You guys are exactly right. That slight left turn on stoney trail makes makes oncoming cars invisible for quite some time to the cars turning east bound onto nose hill. Headed north bound i worry everytime just hoping that the left turner remember that Im coming. But if two cars turn left the second car has absolutely no way of knowing cars are coming up stoney. Unless they sit there for a couple seconds possibly missing their only chance to go. But at the same time. It was 10am ish. Sun wasn't a factor and the avalanche was bright fuckin yellow. Even a half intelligent person would know not to turn left if they're not completely sure. Imho this girl was obviously not paying attention unfortunately the price she paid was way too high and now others are also paying for her omnipotence.

Now onto the cps. Both cars ended up off the road and in no way impeding traffic. So i don't see why they needed to shut down stoney trail for as long as it was. Measure the skid marks. Take a picture then let a single lane through. Or divert north bound traffic onto a south bound lane. Then back onto northbound lanes at the crow child construction zone. Detouring thousands of people through bowness was retarded.

OU812
06-30-2011, 06:36 AM
Originally posted by syritis

Now onto the cps. Both cars ended up off the road and in no way impeding traffic. So i don't see why they needed to shut down stoney trail for as long as it was. Measure the skid marks. Take a picture then let a single lane through. Or divert north bound traffic onto a south bound lane. Then back onto northbound lanes at the crow child construction zone. Detouring thousands of people through bowness was retarded.

I am sure if it was your family member you would want them to do a thorough investigation. Who knows what they do? I know they probably dont just sit around and BS for hours on end laughing at the backed up traffic.

Whats next? Should they have taken some quick pictures at the NY day tripple murder roped off some of the tables and then opened up some of the tables so that people could eat and the resteraunt could make some money?

Feruk
06-30-2011, 09:02 AM
Unfortunate case involving a shitty driver. Not sure why some of you think that's a "hard" intersection to see oncoming traffic. Seems fine to me... A little sense would've gone a long way here.

RIP

codetrap
06-30-2011, 09:40 AM
I don't like that intersection either. Going south and turning east onto nosehill drive sucks too. There's a slight angle that hides oncoming vehicles quite effectively from you if there's anyone turning west in front of you.

kenny
06-30-2011, 10:17 AM

At the time of the accident they believed the victim was already deceased. I'm guessing that played a role in how they investigated the accident.

Scat E46
06-30-2011, 10:32 AM

You fucking SAW two cars. You didn't seened shit.

LadyLuck
06-30-2011, 10:59 AM
^ Fuck, relax! We get it!! :banghead:

syritis
06-30-2011, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by OU812

I am sure if it was your family member you would want them to do a thorough investigation. Who knows what they do? I know they probably dont just sit around and BS for hours on end laughing at the backed up traffic.

Didn't say anything like the accident shouldn't be investigated. And i know as well as any how dangerous it is to stand on the side or even the middle of the road. Its sketchy being there for just 30seconds. But i think they completely over kill the safety measures they take. For instance in this particular accident had nothing to do with the southbound lanes. So for them to be completely closed is ridiculous. Imo reducing the speed and maybe closing the left hand lane would have been sufficient. Then after the document the evidence on the northbound lanes then open the left lane and east bound lanes. And so on and so on. Having the whole intersection closed of the entire duration of the investigation is retarded.

rcmp is the same way. Having 5 blocker fire trucks and 5 cruisers for a single vehicle roll over. Is just so overkill it does leave someone to believe that having that many emergency personal plus high way maintenance, they do just stand around with nothing better to do. Especially when traffic is backed up so far no one can do more then 20km/h.

C_Dave45
06-30-2011, 11:46 PM

Didn't say anything like the accident shouldn't be investigated. And i know as well as any how dangerous it is to stand on the side or even the middle of the road. Its sketchy being there for just 30seconds. But i think they completely over kill the safety measures they take. For instance in this particular accident had nothing to do with the southbound lanes. So for them to be completely closed is ridiculous. Imo reducing the speed and maybe closing the left hand lane would have been sufficient. Then after the document the evidence on the northbound lanes then open the left lane and east bound lanes. And so on and so on. Having the whole intersection closed of the entire duration of the investigation is retarded.

rcmp is the same way. Having 5 blocker fire trucks and 5 cruisers for a single vehicle roll over. Is just so overkill it does leave someone to believe that having that many emergency personal plus high way maintenance, they do just stand around with nothing better to do. Especially when traffic is backed up so far no one can do more then 20km/h.

Well you should travel all over the country and give seminars to teach police, fire and EMS how to properly investigate fatal accidents then. Obviously you know so much more than all these incompetent professionals with years of training and experience. I'm sure you could probably do it with just yourself, a camera, and your trusty tape measure and 5 minutes of time. Hell, why stop traffic at all? Just run out between red lights and take the pertinent information down.

:rolleyes:

luxor
07-01-2011, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by C_Dave45

Well you should travel all over the country and give seminars to teach police, fire and EMS how to properly investigate fatal accidents then. Obviously you know so much more than all these incompetent professionals with years of training and experience. I'm sure you could probably do it with just yourself, a camera, and your trusty tape measure and 5 minutes of time. Hell, why stop traffic at all? Just run out between red lights and take the pertinent information down.

See this is exactly why things don't get changed whether right or wrong. You get people like this who just trust "professionals" whether their way is right or wrong. Save it BRO. Instead listen to the criticism sometimes as they may actually be constructive. I'm not taking any sides her,e just wanted to point out this bandwagon jumping bullshit I see here on a daily basis.

C_Dave45
07-01-2011, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by luxor

See this is exactly why things don't get changed whether right or wrong. You get people like this who just trust "professionals" whether their way is right or wrong. Save it BRO. Instead listen to the criticism sometimes as they may actually be constructive. I'm not taking any sides her,e just wanted to point out this bandwagon jumping bullshit I see here on a daily basis.

Bwahahahaha!!! :rofl: listen to WHO?!!? Some putz on a car forum who's probably just learned how to shave?? Oh my mistake. All beyonders here are all baller and highly skilled on every topic they comment on. Beyond.ca where people can't even find a place to get a haircut or a lawn mower on their own without first asking 60,000 other members on how or where to do so and then arguing about it for another 3 pages.
Rofl...at least you're entertaining!! Good one!!:nut:

dandia89
07-01-2011, 01:09 PM
imo these traffic delays are that huge of a deal to me. theres something going on deerfoot every now and then and yes i end up being late or work. its one day, maybe an extra half hour - 45 minute delay that effects me, while someone just lost their life. id rather have a thorough investigation than be maybe only be 15 minutes late.

Isaiah
07-01-2011, 01:20 PM
Imho this girl was obviously not paying attention unfortunately the price she paid was way too high and now others are also paying for her omnipotence.

If she was omnipotent she wouldn't have crashed. You probably met incompetent, which isn't even close. Now others are also paying for your incoherence.

FraserB
07-01-2011, 02:09 PM
I love Beyond.:love:

That is all.

jwslam
07-01-2011, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by Isaiah

If she was omnipotent she wouldn't have crashed. You probably met incompetent, which isn't even close. Now others are also paying for your incoherence.

omfg so much win!!

max_boost
07-01-2011, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by LadyLuck
^ Fuck, relax! We get it!! :banghead: I know. LOL

Grammar police need to chill out.

Clever
07-01-2011, 07:05 PM

LOL, another post full of win, Beyond is on a roll today.:thumbsup:

syritis
07-01-2011, 07:09 PM

Omnipotence (from Latin: Omni Potens: "all power") is unlimited power.
1. A deity is able to do anything that it chooses to do.[1]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omnipotence

om·nip·o·tent
   [om-nip-uh-tuhnt]
–adjective
1. almighty or infinite in power, as God.
2. having very great or unlimited authority or power.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/omnipotent

I interpret that meaning as being synonyms with arrogance.
as in this driver believed the term "distracted driver" only refer to other people.

Isaiah
07-01-2011, 07:13 PM
Keep digging, friend.

syritis
07-01-2011, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by C_Dave45

maybe someone or everyone should do something

24 traffic deaths in Calgary during 2010
22 in 2009,
average of 44 annual deaths recorded between 2006 and 2008.

these number are still for too high for me.