PDA

View Full Version : Spotted: Texting officer lol

JfuckinC
06-30-2011, 11:13 AM
Alright, so i'm the last guy on earth to get on the cops about anything, i've never had a bad experience in my many dealings with them (even when i was being a drunk idiot or riding illegal bikes on streets haha) But i thought this was kinda funny.

I was just standing in jugo juice waiting for my protein shake when i see this old ass granny gunna cross the road at a snails pace, and then she stalls stepping off the curb like she's going to get ran over and a cop just kinda comes flying up and slams on the brakes, texting :rofl:

anyway's i'm quick on the BB phot draw so i'll throw that on. what do you guys think though, should i have waved him over and apporached his window and said "sir do you know why i'm pulling you over today?"

*picture removed*

G-ZUS
06-30-2011, 11:27 AM
inb4 whatever happens here

Disoblige
06-30-2011, 11:31 AM
Submit that photo to the Herald or Sun, or Global News. Would be a great segment to watch.

Reminds me of the C-Train Crosswords thing, but too bad this picture isn't crystal clear. Still worth a try!

I think the story is well worth it, because not only was he texting, but the lack of attention could have caused a deadly accident. :D

It even has the vehicle number and you could also state the time of day the photo was taken too. Win-win!

JfuckinC
06-30-2011, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by Disoblige
Submit that photo to the Herald or Sun, or Global News. Would be a great segment to watch.

Reminds me of the C-Train Crosswords thing, but too bad this picture isn't crystal clear. Still worth a try!

I think the story is well worth it, because not only was he texting, but the lack of attention could have caused a deadly accident. :D

Man fuck that haha pictures down, i'm not letting oyu guys do that.

J-D
06-30-2011, 11:35 AM
E-mail: [email protected]

http://i.min.us/ib7tTs.jpg

schocker
06-30-2011, 11:35 AM
The cops got to him already :guns:

jdmXSI
06-30-2011, 11:36 AM
I think if they are going to be enforcing this, that there should be a ZERO tolerance policy especially from the police. I cant wait until the media gets ahold of this, they are gonna have a hay day over this!

Nice spot though:thumbsup:

spikerS
06-30-2011, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by JfuckinC

good call, and if you put it back up, blur identifying shit out.

spikerS
06-30-2011, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by J-D
*snip*[/IMG]

never mind, white knight showed up and is white knighting to be popular again.

top_speed
06-30-2011, 11:38 AM

too late braaaaa.....:rofl: :rofl:

JfuckinC
06-30-2011, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by spikers

fack haha i was just blurring out the number on the fender.

What a fag.

schocker
06-30-2011, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by spikers
Well if the police are all gung ho with the distracted driver legislation, they should be held accountable as well, especially with the story given surrounding the photo :dunno:

Disoblige
Haha, rule of thumb next time: just quietly take the pic off.

G-ZUS
Got it saved on my PC :D

spikerS
06-30-2011, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by schocker

Well if the police are all gung ho with the distracted driver legislation, they should be held accountable as well, especially with the story given surrounding the photo :dunno:

that's just it, there is no law or legislation yet. He did nothing wrong, but hey, lets hang em for it anyways because we want the attention and helped bring down the man!

Fuk da police amirite?

JfuckinC
06-30-2011, 11:43 AM
haha you guys are dicks, its not like he actuallyyyyyyyy almost ran her over. i was obviously exagerating. i just thought it was ironic :poosie:

spikerS
06-30-2011, 11:46 AM
haha you guys are dicks, its not like he actuallyyyyyyyy almost ran her over. i was obviously exagerating. i just thought it was ironic :poosie:

dude, you can't lie or exaggerate on the interwebs! If it shows up here, it is 100% fact and true!

:rofl:

it's ok, the white knights will be dumb as ever.

FraserB
06-30-2011, 11:56 AM
Have any of you guys actually read the distracted driver legislation? Police, fire, EMS, people who use phones/CB/HAM for their work are exempt from the prohibition on using them while driving.

The law isn't even being enforced either.

JfuckinC
06-30-2011, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by FraserB
Have any of you guys actually read the distracted driver legislation? Police, fire, EMS, people who use phones/CB/HAM for their work are exempt from the prohibition on using them while driving.

Perfect, I'm the retard here, nothing to see :)

but wait, by what spikers said, the law isn't in place yet? so we can't get in trouble for talking on our phones around cops? i've been putting mine down when i'm talking and i'm beside a cop :rofl:

FraserB
06-30-2011, 11:58 AM

Perfect, I'm the retard here, nothing to see :)

No, not you. All you did was post a picture. All the people saying that he should be charged under a law not even being enforced or have his name/position trashed in the media are the idiots.

G-ZUS
06-30-2011, 12:04 PM
Some officers are actually enforcing it, at their discretion. Not everyone talking on their phone will get it, but if you are texting or doing whatever and weaving all over the place, you might get a Driving with undue care and attention ticket.

FraserB
06-30-2011, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by G-ZUS
Some officers are actually enforcing it, at their discretion. Not everyone talking on their phone will get it, but if you are texting or doing whatever and weaving all over the place, you might get a Driving with undue care and attention ticket.

Completely different law that has been on the books and enforced for years. The Alberta Distracted Driver legislation doesn't come into effect until September. If I recall correctly, the new legislation provides a much, much lower level of PC needed for a stop or ticket.

Isaiah
06-30-2011, 12:30 PM
I don't see any problem with with posting a pic at all. Officer was driving unsafely and doing something that almost caused a potentially fatal accident. Anyone else in the same position, having been seen by said officer, would be ticketed on the spot and potentially earning six points for driving without due care and attention.

I don't get the white knight comments, this copper clearly needs a refresher. What about the headline had granny not stopped?

max_boost
06-30-2011, 12:42 PM
You sure cops aren't trained for something like this?

:D

94boosted
06-30-2011, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by Isaiah
I don't see any problem with with posting a pic at all. Officer was driving unsafely and doing something that almost caused a potentially fatal accident. Anyone else in the same position, having been seen by said officer, would be ticketed on the spot and potentially earning six points for driving without due care and attention.

I don't get the white knight comments, this copper clearly needs a refresher. What about the headline had granny not stopped?

:werd: If the cop saw you making the same mistake you would be in a deep pile of shit.

D'z Nutz
06-30-2011, 12:46 PM
Haha I'm against (unwarranted) cop bashing here, but that's funny. Don't text me bro

Guillermo
06-30-2011, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by Isaiah

agreed. :thumbsup:

Aleks
06-30-2011, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by FraserB

Completely different law that has been on the books and enforced for years. The Alberta Distracted Driver legislation doesn't come into effect until September. If I recall correctly, the new legislation provides a much, much lower level of PC needed for a stop or ticket.

People are currently getting warning tickets for this law until Sept1. Once Sept1. hits no more warnings will be issued and people will start getting actual tickets. I can see lots of these being issued initially.

88CRX
06-30-2011, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by Aleks
[B]

People are currently getting warning tickets/B]

Really? Guess I should stop checking my phone at red lights.

arian_ma
06-30-2011, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by 88CRX

Really? Guess I should stop checking my phone at red lights.
I'm pretty sure they weren't stupid enough to make it illegal to check your phone at a red light, but then again, who knows.

lint
06-30-2011, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by arian_ma
I'm pretty sure they weren't stupid enough to make it illegal to check your phone at a red light, but then again, who knows.

nope, it's illegal

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/Distracted+driving+Sept/4991633/story.html

Drivers can soon forget about devouring a breakfast burrito while combing their hair on the morning commute, as the province looks to crack down on distractions behind the wheel.

The Alberta government announced its wide-ranging distracted driving law Wednesday, which prohibits drivers from using hand-held cellphones, texting, e-mailing, reading, writing and personal grooming.

Under the law, drivers are not allowed to hold a cellphone, even if it's not in use. Hands-free or voice-activated devices, however, are still permitted.

Minister of Transportation Luke Ouellette said the law will help reduce collisions on Alberta's roads.

The law -which comes into effect Sept. 1 -carries a $172 fine.

Ouellette said the tickets are about safety, not a cash grab, and police won't be hiding behind billboards trying to catch distracted drivers.

"We don't want officers out looking for people just doing this particular activity," Ouellette said.

"If all of a sudden you open a chocolate bar and take a small bite of a chocolate bar, we don't want an officer giving you a ticket for that. But if you have a Quarter Pounder in front of your face and you're using both hands and driving with your knee, you deserve to get a ticket."

As far as electronic devices like music players and GPS units are concerned, drivers can't do anything that requires more than a single touch, and will have to program the device before setting out on the road. The ban is in effect at all times, and drivers will have to pull over to make changes on devices.

Wildrose MLA Paul Hinman said the ambiguous law leaves too much open to interpretation. For instance, while drivers aren't expressly banned from fiddling with the radio or driving with screaming children, should those activities impact their driving, the law can be applied and the driver fined.

"They really don't have it definitive on what you can or can't do," said Hinman, who was driving and speaking on a hands-free device at the time. "We already have legislation for poor, reckless and dangerous driving, and we should leave it at that."

He said the rule targets drivers holding prohibited objects in their hands rather than poor drivers, and questioned where the line is drawn. He said if the province were serious, the law would allow insurance companies to go after distracted drivers who cause crashes the same as if the drivers were drunk.

Police said the fines are a way to penalize drivers who pose threats to the public while not necessarily meeting the criteria for stiffer charges of careless or reckless driving.

Const. Jim Lebedeff of the Calgary Police Service traffic unit said drivers have to realize the role distractions can play in crashes.

"This is dangerous what you're doing behind the wheel," he said.

"Are you going to take a life? Yours? Are you going to seriously hurt somebody? We don't want that to happen."

Lebedeff said the fines were one more tool for police to deal with dangerous drivers. He said while distracted drivers might not meet the criteria for the stiffer fine of careless driving, their actions are still potentially dangerous, and the fine signifies that.

"We want people to realize that driving is a full-time job. We want your eyes on the road and your hands on the wheel," he said.

"The education is going to start now."

Aleks
06-30-2011, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by arian_ma

You can't even touch your phone even if it's off

Can I send a text message or comb my hair when I am stopped at a red light?

No. You cannot engage in distracting activities when stopped at a red light, delayed in traffic or waiting for a train. You are still driving and engaged in a traffic situation. To be compliant with the law drivers need to be legally parked before engaging in the restricted activities.

http://www.transportation.alberta.ca/distracteddriving.htm#Where()

Redlyne_mr2
06-30-2011, 01:30 PM
Funny you post this. The last couple days I've had to cop cars drive past me and both times the officers eyes have been locked to the onboard computer they carry. Nice spot

chkolny541
06-30-2011, 04:43 PM
my gf's dad had a distracted cop on his computer rear end him a few years back. Cop quickly changed his story after the accident (initially said it was his fault, then changed it to the dads fault) and claimed that he lane changed into him too closely and didnt leave enough space for the cop haha:rofl: . Then jsut to add another layer of bullshit to the story, the CPS tryed to get him to pay for the "damage" (chipped paint) to the cruisers ram bar up front :banghead: :banghead:

J@Tuner
06-30-2011, 07:56 PM
^^ Wow that sucks, I watched almost the same situation happen on Country Hills a few years ago... cop not paying attention, person stops for the yellow light (right after yellow light law came into effect) and the cop didn't even touch the brakes.

bbcustoms
07-01-2011, 12:35 PM
May as well throw this in. The gf spotted it a while back, its a female officer texting.

Really bad crapberry pic but you can still make it out

http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/7114/fuzztxt.jpg

kvg
07-01-2011, 12:55 PM
I see police texting and driving once week at the very least

Shlade
07-01-2011, 01:05 PM
Who cares? Are you willing to go out of your way to file a complaint that wont go anywhere? Have fun with that.

TomcoPDR
07-01-2011, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by Shlade
Who cares? Are you willing to go out of your way to file a complaint that wont go anywhere? Have fun with that.

I've seen night shift passenger cop SLEEPING while filling up at Esso (Midnapore), the driver cop filling up smirking at me when I took a glance, gave me the: "Yea, keep walking/fill ur own gas, can't do shit to us, cuz we da mofo police" look... and he's 100% right.

Darkane
07-02-2011, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by TomcoPDR

I've seen night shift passenger cop SLEEPING while filling up at Esso (Midnapore), the driver cop filling up smirking at me when I took a glance, gave me the: "Yea, keep walking/fill ur own gas, can't do shit to us, cuz we da mofo police" look... and he's 100% right.

He's only human. Night shifts are a whole other animal.. Especially 12 hour shifts. Sleeping is a part of them a lot of the time.

In my field of work people sleep all the time, some positions like mine you just can't however.

googe
07-02-2011, 10:13 PM
Since this was proven to be more dangerous than drunk driving, shouldn't we lock him up for life? If it wasn't a cop, and it was only a drunk guy, everyone would have their pitchforks out.

soloracer
07-03-2011, 11:22 AM
If you read the law it says that emergency and law enforcement are exempt from the law.

89s1
07-03-2011, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by Darkane

He's only human. Night shifts are a whole other animal.. Especially 12 hour shifts. Sleeping is a part of them a lot of the time.

In my field of work people sleep all the time, some positions like mine you just can't however.

Umm, I work long hours and sleeping isn't understood to be a part of my shift.

The fact that my shift happens during the day and another persons happens at night should make zero difference.

Go4Long
07-03-2011, 04:28 PM
nothing like trying to fire a gun while you're still wiping drool off your face...
seriously, worst argument for sleeping on the job EVER.

afif
07-03-2011, 06:57 PM
1101 is one of the highest sergeant in CPS. In charge of many area's in Calgary. This guy runs the show.

xxviet
07-03-2011, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by afif
1101 is one of the highest sergeant in CPS. In charge of many area's in Calgary. This guy runs the show.

that means that he IS above the law LOL. i bet if this was all over news papers..."suspended with pay" i bet

revelations
07-03-2011, 07:51 PM
For the uninformed:

Emergency staff are exempt from this law while in the execution of their duty.

Having said that, even with the law protecting the emergency members, if you observe the member driving dangerously while texting, then its worth noting.

At least with the phone your somewhat "headsup" as opposed to the car PC where youre looking down at the console (while driving).

AND

While I'm sure there will be exceptions, from talking to CPS members, the spirit behind the law is that the CPS wont be pulling people over merely talking on their cell phones *IF* they arent endangering anyone.

In other words, you have to be driving like a real idiot to get pulled over for something like distracted driving.

Isaiah
07-05-2011, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by revelations

While I'm sure there will be exceptions, from talking to CPS members, the spirit behind the law is that the CPS wont be pulling people over merely talking on their cell phones *IF* they arent endangering anyone.

In other words, you have to be driving like a real idiot to get pulled over for something like distracted driving.
I'll believe this when I see it. I have a feeling there's going to be a heyday with this one.

JustGo
07-08-2011, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by Go4Long
nothing like trying to fire a gun while you're still wiping drool off your face...
seriously, worst argument for sleeping on the job EVER.
Yeah... catching a 5 minute nap at a gas station at 4am is right when the biggest gun fight ever is gonna break out!!

You watch too much TV.

wardpr68
07-08-2011, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by Shlade

Every time I see a cop do/say something stupid I post it on twitter with an @Calgarypolice and i ALWAYS get a response..... They respond quite quickly when the entire public knows ;)

gretz
07-08-2011, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by JustGo

Yeah... catching a 5 minute nap at a gas station at 4am is right when the biggest gun fight ever is gonna break out!!

You watch too much TV.

lol... chiming in to pick apart a post are ya? How about something constructive?

What makes it okay for an officer to text? Shouldn't they have another "safe" way of communicating?

Catching a five minute nap lol... that's the alertness we need > especially at 4am if there was an emergency...

An officer sleeping on the job is useless > they are sleeping on the job > fired lol...

JustGo
07-12-2011, 01:47 AM
Originally posted by gretz

lol... chiming in to pick apart a post are ya? How about something constructive?

What makes it okay for an officer to text? Shouldn't they have another "safe" way of communicating?

Catching a five minute nap lol... that's the alertness we need > especially at 4am if there was an emergency...

An officer sleeping on the job is useless > they are sleeping on the job > fired lol...

Here is something constructive:

Firefighters sleep all night, every night, and you trust them to put out apartment/house fires and save lives. Not to mention emergency room doctors often have their own beds where they can sleep at hospitals... and they are counted on to save lives as well. Come to think of it, EMS also has places to sleep.

A 5 minute nap in a car doesn't sound so bad now, does it, a-hole?

calgary403
07-12-2011, 06:06 PM

I don't see a problem with an officer catching a quick nap on his shift. As long as his partner is alert & awake to answer any calls that might come in.

If they both go and park somewhere and pass out for the whole shift though that is where I would have a problem.

But officers texting and driving IS something I have a problem with. They shouldn't be allowed to do something and than pull someone over and give them a ticket for the exact same thing. Not to mention texting and driving is pretty damn dangerous.

Revhard
07-12-2011, 06:22 PM

Firefighters sleep all night, every night, and you trust them to put out apartment/house fires and save lives. Not to mention emergency room doctors often have their own beds where they can sleep at hospitals... and they are counted on to save lives as well. Come to think of it, EMS also has places to sleep.

Agreed. Do what you gotta do, just answer the call and improve the safety of the community. I'd rather them take a nap then tazer or shoot somebody in err.
You know, like a guy swinging a chair around in an airport. On the other hand, maybe more tired cops would mean more dead crooks...

gretz
07-13-2011, 08:45 AM

lol... you sound like a winner... Fair enough > you guys are allowed to sleep on the job... don't need to be a goof about it > I was under the impression that sleeping on the job (at any profession) was not a positive thing > I stand corrected

Completely missed the texting part of my post I guess?? Or didn't have anything clever / demeaning to say about it?

max_boost
07-13-2011, 08:52 AM
Power naps are good for you.

KandabashiDevil
07-13-2011, 12:33 PM
What makes it okay for an officer to text?

They rely on instant communication to keep fucking losers like you safe.

Got it?

The amount of retards in this thread is staggering ...

captain134
07-13-2011, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by KandabashiDevil

Yes, you have proven that point with your post.

captain134
07-13-2011, 12:57 PM

Your argument does not really fit.

Fire and EMS are an on-call basis. If there are no calls, they do not have anything to do so they might as well sleep.

A police officer may not have any calls on a slow night but they are expected to do other things in the spare time like patrolling. They should never have free time because from what I read in the papers there is, if anything a shortage of officers. If they have spare time to sleep their position must have become obsolete and they are no longer needed as an officer.

I am not sure how it works with breaks as a police officer but if your on a lunch break or something, I don't see the problem with sleeping in your car. Everybody deserves their breaks.

gretz
07-13-2011, 03:53 PM

They rely on instant communication to keep fucking losers like you safe.

Got it?

lol... Do we text 911 now? Do the officers BBM each other to calls? I'm not sure where them texting while driving is at an advantage to other means of communication... so no, I don't get it

schocker
07-13-2011, 04:03 PM

lol... Do we text 911 now? Do the officers BBM each other to calls? I'm not sure where them texting while driving is at an advantage to other means of communication... so no, I don't get it
They do.

Ch3if Be4ton:
Dnt frgt to rite more tkts 4 ur quota :p lol

Traffic_Cop
07-13-2011, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by afif

1101 is the 1 district Sgt, thats it. The first number (1) designates patrol, next number over is district, the next number is zone (as sgts dont have a zone its a 0) then final number is car number. Likewise, say 1601 is the 6 district patrol sgt.

The big guy on the block is 2900. Thats the on call duty inspector.

KandabashiDevil
07-14-2011, 01:35 PM
Do we text 911 now?

Yes.

If you're in a situation where you cannot speak, the CPS has a dedicated texting line. For example : If your home is being invaded while you're inside. The number is 274637 I believe ...

... so no, I don't get it

I knew you wouldn't.

Originally posted by Another Loser
They should never have free time because from what I read in the papers there is, if anything a shortage of officers. If they have spare time to sleep their position must have become obsolete and they are no longer needed as an officer.

Oh wow :rofl:

Who invited The King of Logic into this discussion?
Seriously, some of you need to drink a big cup of cyanide.

gretz
07-14-2011, 01:53 PM

Yes.

If you're in a situation where you cannot speak, the CPS has a dedicated texting line. For example : If your home is being invaded while you're inside. The number is 274637 I believe ...

That's to submit an anonymous tip to crimestoppers lol... find me this "number" to text > what if there is a fire? Would the emergency text line would cover this too?

You come off as a bit of a dink and haven't added anything to the conversation > leave the real responses to the people that Actually know what they are talking about (although they won't chime in either)...

calgary403
07-14-2011, 04:44 PM

Yes.

If you're in a situation where you cannot speak, the CPS has a dedicated texting line. For example : If your home is being invaded while you're inside. The number is 274637 I believe

Yes and your text wouldn't go directly to the officer. :rofl: :rofl:

It would go to the dispatch and they would radio it to the officer like any other call.

There is no reason why this officer should have been texting and driving.

JfuckinC
07-15-2011, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by calgary403

Yes and your text wouldn't go directly to the officer. :rofl: :rofl:

It would go to the dispatch and they would radio it to the officer like any other call.

There is no reason why this officer should have been texting and driving.

texting was just an assumption, could have been viewing youporn mobile for all we know haha

captain134
07-15-2011, 02:35 PM

Oh wow :rofl:

Who invited The King of Logic into this discussion?
Seriously, some of you need to drink a big cup of cyanide.

Care to explain? "Oh wow" what? Did you accidentally hit post before you finished typing or something?

captain134
07-15-2011, 02:40 PM
Wait a minute.... dammit, did I just get "trolled"? Everyone else should of gave me a heads up. For some reason I thought KandabashiDevil was actually giving his honest opinion. I guess I am a "retard" like the toddler said.

Cos
07-15-2011, 02:57 PM
Those in car computers have an MSN style system. So the only time the officer would be using his PERSONAL phone would be to talk to other officers about things they dont have code for (or is really inappropriate) or someone not in the CPS is texting them (or any other personal reasons, email, Pr0n, etc).

I dont have a problem with the napping or texting but NOT WHILE DRIVING. They are pushing and pushing this law.... it should be up to the Staff Sargent to lead by example.

revelations
07-15-2011, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by captain134
A police officer may not have any calls on a slow night but they are expected to do other things in the spare time like patrolling. They should never have free time because from what I read in the papers there is, if anything a shortage of officers. If they have spare time to sleep their position must have become obsolete and they are no longer needed as an officer.

It depends on your assignments, districts, stacked calls etc.

Some areas are quiet and have plenty of down time to do paperwork in the car or have the occasional nap - other areas, like perhaps 4 district, dont allow you any down time.

In addition, there was a shortage of detectives - members with enough experience to become ones anyways.

afif
07-17-2011, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by Traffic_Cop

1101 is the 1 district Sgt, thats it. The first number (1) designates patrol, next number over is district, the next number is zone (as sgts dont have a zone its a 0) then final number is car number. Likewise, say 1601 is the 6 district patrol sgt.

The big guy on the block is 2900. Thats the on call duty inspector.

My bad. He's still a district sgt which is a high rank? :dunno: