PDA

View Full Version : What to look for when buying used trailer?

project240
06-30-2011, 05:10 PM
Just looking for some advice if there is anything I should be watching for specifically when going to check out a used trailer. I've never owned one before, but have an appt to check out a tandem 10ft utility trailer tomorrow morning.

I'm a complete newb when it comes to trailers, so any advice will probably be helpful.

Thanks in advance!!

sxtasy
06-30-2011, 05:51 PM
what do you want to haul? What is your tow vehicle?

ExtraSlow
06-30-2011, 07:06 PM
Having bought a trailer this spring, I now know that you should check the wear pattern on the tires, on ALL the tires. That shows you if the alignment is off. Also, check for dry rot on the tires. Since most trailers sit a lot, tires tend to rot out from UV before the tread is gone.

Standens can help you out with brakes/bearings/electrical/suspension etc. Those guys are excellent.

project240
06-30-2011, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by sxtasy
what do you want to haul? What is your tow vehicle?

Mostly lumber/sheet goods, but want to be able to haul mulch, firewood, etc.

I know I don't need a tandem axle, but the price is very good. My vehicle is rated for about 6000lbs towing, which minus trailer weight leaves me able to haul maybe 4-4500lbs, but truthfully probably won't be near that anytime in the distant future.

ddduke
07-01-2011, 12:29 AM
Having bought quite a few trailers I'd say check the electrical. It's a huge PITA trying to find where the wire is corroded/torn/etc when one of your lights wont work.

J-hop
07-01-2011, 01:55 AM
yea as previously mentioned tires/electrical/bearings. check tires for any indication of the tires being flat for extended periods, we have a few trailers at our cabin and a couple have tires I wouldn't trust on the highway as they've sat flat for a year or two. Good evidence would be any sort of side wall cracking. Give each wheel a good reefing and try to feel for any play in the bearings while you are at it.

project240
07-01-2011, 07:58 AM
Thanks guys! I'll let you know how it goes. :thumbsup:

ExtraSlow
07-01-2011, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by ddduke
Having bought quite a few trailers I'd say check the electrical. It's a huge PITA trying to find where the wire is corroded/torn/etc when one of your lights wont work.
Yeah, with a flat-deck trailer, it's often easier to just rewire it than to find the problem.

Maxt
07-01-2011, 07:46 PM
Buy something with a name brand on it and stay clear of home built units. Unless its put together from good plans, often homebuilt trailers are constructed to light or way to heavy for the axles used.

sillysod
07-01-2011, 09:28 PM
We have had a bunch of trailers at work and there is really only one thing you need to look out for - bent deck. If the trailer gets overloaded a lot it will bend the deck so squat down at the end of the trailer and look down the deck to make sure it is straight or curves up on both ends. It shouldn't curve down behind the axles.

Worn tires will tell you if it is out of alignment, but it is really easy to get the axles aligned on them.

Corrosion is the really only other thing to look at. Deck boards are easily and cheaply replaced. Electrical is usually only 5 wires so it is really easily remedied.

ddduke
07-01-2011, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by sillysod
Electrical is usually only 5 wires so it is really easily remedied.

You're right, just realized what the op was after. Thought he was going after a cargo trailer, that's where it's a huge bother trying to fix electrical.

project240
07-01-2011, 11:35 PM
Well, went to take a quick look this morning. The trailer has a little bit of rust just starting on the sides, but nothing a quick sand and a bit of paint can't take care of.

Other than that, it's in awesome shape. Big Tex 6x10' tandem axle.

I'm picking it up on Monday/Tuesday evening... will post some pics if anybody is interested. :dunno:

ExtraSlow
07-02-2011, 10:41 AM
sure, post pics