PDA

View Full Version : ~$530 ticket.. possible to fight this?

Stratus_Power
01-19-2004, 12:22 AM
someone we know got a ~$530 ticket today, trying to find out if its fight-able.

the situation is she was driving through china town or something, and some guy started crossing the road in the middle of the block ( so not at a light or anywhere, kind of like jaywalk)

and he was walking right in front of this big truck so she didnt see him until it was too late and she couldn't stop in time to let him cross so she just kept going, almost hitting the guy.

it turns out the big truck blocking the view was a Cop car and they put on the siren and gave her a $530 tickets

so apparently her tickets doesnt have any Time or Date on it.

so can she fight this in court?

or if she get pointts.. would be that be able to completely remove the tickets + the pts ( so she only pays the $$ for pointts?)

thanks all

vtec
01-19-2004, 12:25 AM
what exactly do you mean by no time or date on it??
they didnt write what day she got the ticket??
i recently found out that if they make any errors on a ticket, the ticket is cancelled.
happened to a buddy of mine, 3 of his speedin tickets had errors with date, and he got his money back

izzoblitzo
01-19-2004, 12:38 AM
man, chinatown is THE hotspot to j-walk. I've seen all kinds of people j-walking in chinatown. Alotta seniors j-walk. Then again, the streets are rather narrow, inviting them to j-walk. I've seen this older chinese couple do the the walk, right in front of a squad car, but the officer let 'em go. Whereas, if its somewhere else downtown, they'll give tickets for j'walking.

Does anybody know what basically constitutes as j-walking? What if I was turning right at an intersection, I have the green, and the little hand sign is a red HAND (nobody pressed the button, so it never turned to the white walking sign).. does the pedestrian still get the right away, or not?

I mean, either way, pedestrians always get the right of way, but if the sign says dont walk, and they walk, its kinda hard to let go, no?

max_boost
01-19-2004, 12:46 AM
LOL
Hey izzo, pedestrians have the right of way man, you should know that.

Anyway, that's a pretty interesting scenario especially in chinatown. I swear they should just make jay walking legal in chinatown because EVERYONE does it. I know I'm guilty!

FiveFreshFish
01-19-2004, 12:53 AM
What a bullshit ticket. :thumbsdow

Fight it all the way.

Slightly off-topic: If a pedestrian j-walks or crosses against a don't-walk signal and makes a car yield for them, they should get a $500+ dollar ticket too.

RickDaTuner
01-19-2004, 12:54 AM
yeah any errors result in you being able to "quash" your ticket

well sounds like you could take it to court and if your friend has a good clean record the Judge will be more than leanient with her mabey she aont even have to see the judge just talk it over with the Justice of Peace officer?

good luck
im glad I live in Small quite little Canmore not to many places to drice out here so less likelyhood of obtaining any infractions

pinoyhero
01-19-2004, 06:41 AM
For a ticket of that size I would call POINTS or another agency that fights that type of ticket.

Zero102
01-19-2004, 08:00 AM
I got that same ticket, but in my case, there wasn't even a freakin pedestrian there! He stepped on the curb like 10 seconds before I went through.
If the ticket is improperly completed, the officer has up to 6 months to re-serve it. So, if you get pulled over my the same cop a few months down the road, and he knows the ticket was quashed because he filled it out wrong, he just might fill it out right for you.

Now, Pointts will ding you $275 to fight the ticket, and obviously, they guarantee nothing. However, they can usually get the points thrown out, and usually take the fine down a little. The important thing is that the demerits are gone.

^SkylinE^
01-19-2004, 12:06 PM
If you were super nice to the cop ... have a clean record... and your story is true then fight it! Thats what i did and i came out on top! :thumbsup: good luck

That.Guy.S30
01-20-2004, 01:44 AM
Originally posted by max_boost
LOL
Hey izzo, pedestrians have the right of way man, you should know that.

Anyway, that's a pretty interesting scenario especially in chinatown. I swear they should just make jay walking legal in chinatown because EVERYONE does it. I know I'm guilty!

ahha damn straight man! the cops dont care cause if they did they would spend the whole day givin all of chinatown j-walking tickets

Khyron
01-20-2004, 01:51 AM
If they were jaywalking, they are breaking the law - if you hit them, it's not your fault - but if you make no attempt to stop, it becomes your fault.

Khyron

Bruce Chan
01-20-2004, 09:42 AM
never give up !:banghead: