PDA

View Full Version : Speeding Ticket. CAN I FIGHT IT?

GQNammer
01-19-2004, 12:50 AM
Okay, after driving for 3 years, I recieved my 1st speeding ticket today. So I have no idea whether I can fight this or not.

THis happened about 11:00pm today. I was driving on deerfoot northbound and I needed to head onto beddington trail. I was in the middle lane and there was a large vehicle tailing behind me and I was going about 105km/h. I needed to get to the right lane so i can exit off onto beddington but there was a vehicle right beside me in the right lane. The exit was approaching so I decided to speed up instead of slowing down beacuse i didn't want the truck/SUV (didn't know what it was cuz the lights were blinding me) that was behind me to hit me. I sped up to almost 120km/h and I got pulled over by a cop hiding in the grass.

I didn't wanna argue with him so I just took the ticket without making a big deal out of it. Can I fight this ticket? At least maybe bring it down a notch?

How many points would I have lost becuase he didn't tell me and it's not written down on the ticket. And if I fight this, do I hafta wait until the date he written down to go to court? Because I don't wanna wait that long, i want to get this over with....thanks

ryder_23
01-19-2004, 12:55 AM
do a search, hundreds of topics on this....

were you 20over? if so 3 points

Ben
01-19-2004, 02:28 AM
http://forums.beyond.ca/images/top_search.gif (http://forums.beyond.ca/search.php?s=)

I would say 4 dozen topics on this.

GQNammer
01-19-2004, 03:48 AM
i was exactly going 119km/h =)

Sai
01-19-2004, 09:56 AM
This is my thought, id fight fo no demerits. The fact u were still speeding and u DECIDED to speed up instead of slow down is ur fault sad to say :(

switch
01-19-2004, 10:44 AM
Goto court, plead guilty and explain you have learned your lesson -- you will only pay the fine but not recieve points.

I have done it twice.

InfraRed
02-08-2004, 03:29 PM
km/hour? Where are you from. MPH is the standard in the US. I just get an attorney for all of my tickets.

KoukiS14
02-08-2004, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by InfraRed
km/hour? Where are you from. MPH is the standard in the US. I just get an attorney for all of my tickets.

This is a Canadian Based Forum.

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Z24
02-08-2004, 05:15 PM
fight it for no demerits, and pay the fine so you don't get your record messed.

rc2002
02-08-2004, 08:55 PM
Anything under 20km/h the Crown Prosecutor will throw out and make it a "Multinova" ticket. Go fight it, but be prepared to wait in line for a long time at Rocky Mountain Plaza.

LancerShelby
02-08-2004, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by switch
Goto court, plead guilty and explain you have learned your lesson -- you will only pay the fine but not recieve points.

I have done it twice. I just did it last week. Go in on the day posted on your ticket, get there at 7:30, doors open at 8:15, wait in the "yellow line" lineup, talk to the Justice of the Peace, say you want to talk to the Crown, they'll take your shit and tell you where to wait, the Crown starts taking people at 9:15, wait and they'll call your name, go in and say you've got a clean record and would like to keep it that way, and since your under 20 over, then he'll drop the demerits, you'll go back outside and wait for the Justice of the Peace, they'll call your name, approve the changes, and send you to the payment lineup. I was at work(airport) at 10:30 including riding the C-train.

hockeybronx
02-09-2004, 07:28 PM
You can always try to fight it, why not?

Just tell them the situation and who knows maybe it will work out, if not well then at least you tried dammit!

Xtrema
02-09-2004, 08:42 PM
Fight it and at least get the points off so insurance won't rape you because of a bad record.

You can tell the same story to the prosecuter but keep this in mind. Even when someone is riding your ass, you should still maintain the speed or keep under speed limit. If he hit you, it's his fault. If you speed to avoid him, it's your fault. And if you hit something or someone when pulling this stunt, you'll be charged and the guy riding your ass get away scott free.

It's not worth it.

GorG
02-09-2004, 09:20 PM
Yea dude, go to court and see the crown vic, she'l give you some options and they are pretty good like no points off and you dont have to pay as much., and you you can put it off for a long time, if your an ass. just tell her theres a lot fo stuff happening in your life and you dont have the time to pay it off, so she'll give you like 4 months and you can keep on doing it thats what a buddy of mine did.

403Gemini
02-09-2004, 11:06 PM
if you get points off it doesnt affect insurance does it?

LancerShelby
02-10-2004, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by 403Gemini
if you get points off it doesnt affect insurance does it? No, it's like a photo radar ticket then.