PDA

View Full Version : Lights on centre street?

Melinda
01-19-2004, 12:52 AM
On the light poles at *almost* every intersection on centre st, there are these bright white/blue lights just above the walk/don't walk sign and they come on when the light turns green. I've seen them at a few other places in the city, but I have no idea what they do...anyone else know? :dunno:

FiveFreshFish
01-19-2004, 12:56 AM
Maybe these are for Calgary Transit? The one I've seen is southbound on Centre St at 32 Av.

:dunno:

Boostn
01-19-2004, 01:01 AM
I was wondering the exact same thing! Just noticed them recently esp on Centre St.

Zero102
01-19-2004, 08:02 AM
For what it's worth, they come on when the walk light does, and go out when the don't walk light starts blinking. (at least IIRC), so I'm gonna wager a guess and say they're related to pedestrian's.

Xtrema
01-19-2004, 11:28 AM
I asked a city engineer via the City of Calgary web site.

They are Transit pirority systems. Buses that travel on Centre St are mounted with a unit that can manipulate the lights. So buses doesn't have to stop for red lights.

Zero102
01-19-2004, 11:41 AM
I wonder how long it will take before somebody starts selling those lights.

Although, not a bad idea for the busses.

FiveFreshFish
01-19-2004, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema
I asked a city engineer via the City of Calgary web site.

They are Transit pirority systems. Buses that travel on Centre St are mounted with a unit that can manipulate the lights. So buses doesn't have to stop for red lights.

You mean the buses can change the light to green? Pretty scary when buses don't stop for red lights! :D

Xtrema
01-20-2004, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish
You mean the buses can change the light to green? Pretty scary when buses don't stop for red lights! :D

They don't have to with this system.

Kinda make sense because why stop for red and it gotta stop like 1/2 block after the light anyway.

Bruce Chan
01-20-2004, 01:32 PM
i have no ideas about the light of the street.
i just know some of light have counting function.
when the walk light are going to turn to the stop passing light , it will counting on from 22sec to 1sec , for people to see the time limit to pass the street, and let people think about the abitily to cross the road in the limit. i think this is very good invention.
if they invent one on the car walk side......oh no ! forget it !

Altezza
01-20-2004, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish

I don't think the buses change the lights to green. I think it changes all the lights to red so everyone stops. The bright blue light indicates that its safe for the bus.

kenny
01-20-2004, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by Altezza

I don't think the buses change the lights to green. I think it changes all the lights to red so everyone stops. The bright blue light indicates that its safe for the bus.

For Bus Priority intersections there is a separate traffic light for buses only. When the bus driver activates the Priority system, all lights in the intersection go red, and the light for the bus driver flashes Green. When the bus is through, the intersection continues the cycle it was on prior to the priority light.

The blue/white light doesn't seem to come on when this happens, not sure what purpose it serves.