PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on 2000 jetta vr6

NRGie
07-02-2011, 09:34 PM
I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on a 2000 jetta vr6.

The car has 175000ish km but no major work was done yet (timing, water pump). The car looked clean and drove nice but I don't know what to look for and expect.

It has a manual tranny, fk street line coilovers, intake and he chopped off the exhaust so it's running from the cat back only I think.

The only thing that bothers me is that it has a cel on. He says it just came on the other day and he installed the intake 500k ago. He ran the code and said it's running rich.

Any opinion? And also any issues I should know?

Thanks

Sentry
07-02-2011, 09:39 PM
The thing that bothers ME is that "no major work has been done yet".

What does he want for it?

adidas
07-02-2011, 09:40 PM
From a guy who has 4 VW's id say walk away. That year especially sucked balls and gave nothing but problems.

If your gonna get it hope you are VERY tech savvy and have special tools that VW's seem to require. Also you will need deep pockets like you own a MB as all parts cost an arm and a leg.

MK5(2005.5 to 2010) was much better reliability wise, although no vr6 was offered during those years if you are really set on that particular engine.

nismodrifter
07-02-2011, 09:41 PM
How much does he want?

I'm all about the MKIV's but I wouldn't buy it based on the fact that it hasn't had the major work done (not sure if he has any other records?) and sounds like it has been cheesily modified (hacked off exhaust etc).

CEL...well....could be a million things. Get used to CEL's if you plan on owning a VW.

03ozwhip
07-02-2011, 10:06 PM
borrow a vag com and run it, youll know everything needed to lowball the shit out of him because lets face it, no one is going to buy a VW wit ha CEL unless they know what it is.

Freeskier
07-02-2011, 10:10 PM
I'd say it's a risk. Could easily get burned with that generation. Starting to get to the mileage where major things will start need doing.

NRGie
07-02-2011, 10:26 PM
I'd be trading my 2001 Acura Integra gsr straight across (so less then 5000 since the car was given to me from my brother but I think my car is worth about 6000-7000ish)

It looked like it was maintained well (I know dumb thing to say...) but looked really clean.

I wasn't exactly looking for a vw but he came to view my civic and saw my integer and yeah. I thought I'd try something different for once, all my cars were hondas before

NRGie
07-02-2011, 10:33 PM
Double post

Skrilla
07-02-2011, 10:47 PM
after reading "no major work done" I say Run..I currently own 2 VW's and have had a few more, including MKIV's, but unless you have deep pockets and patience, don't bother.

just my $0.02:nut:

Twin_Cam_Turbo
07-02-2011, 11:30 PM
Run away imo.

btimbit
07-02-2011, 11:31 PM
Almost timing chain time then. Not the most enjoyable job.

VR6 is a great engine, and the best sound you get for anything less than an exotic. But the 12v isn't exactly known for reliability. Better than the 1.8T, but where you are you'd be looking at $2-3k within the next 10 000kms in maintenance. You could find a better one easily.

Running rich? Could be anything. A simple bad MAF, or something much more complicated and expensive. Trust me, I'm running rich right now as well.

You definitely wouldn't be disappointed in a VR6, but get one with less kms or more maintenance done. Or find a 24v. I say no to this one.

DeeK
07-03-2011, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by btimbit
Almost timing chain time then. Not the most enjoyable job.

VR6 is a great engine, and the best sound you get for anything less than an exotic. But the 12v isn't exactly known for reliability. Better than the 1.8T, but where you are you'd be looking at $2-3k within the next 10 000kms in maintenance. You could find a better one easily.

Running rich? Could be anything. A simple bad MAF, or something much more complicated and expensive. Trust me, I'm running rich right now as well.

You definitely wouldn't be disappointed in a VR6, but get one with less kms or more maintenance done. Or find a 24v. I say no to this one.

the MKIV's were the 24v models. The MKIII were 12v, but I do agree, the 12v's are hard to maintain, I have one. the 24v is the choice engine, and as stated has the best sound.

Regardless, no to this one as well. I wouldnt trust one that has mods and "no major work done", sounds like a red flag right there. get a clean one and do the mods yourself.

NRGie
07-03-2011, 12:36 AM
I guess I shouldnt say no maintenance but yeah timing chain and etc

Can anyone point me to a good vw mechanic for a pre-purchase inspection and any idea how much it would cost approx.?

Thanks

btimbit
07-03-2011, 12:59 AM
Originally posted by DeeK

the MKIV's were the 24v models. The MKIII were 12v, but I do agree, the 12v's are hard to maintain, I have one. the 24v is the choice engine, and as stated has the best sound.

Regardless, no to this one as well. I wouldnt trust one that has mods and "no major work done", sounds like a red flag right there. get a clean one and do the mods yourself.

24v's weren't until halfway through 2002. So the one he's looking at would be a 12v

Originally posted by NRGie

Can anyone point me to a good vw mechanic for a pre-purchase inspection and any idea how much it would cost approx.?

Thanks

Yup. George at Tunedub. Just opened up a bigger shop recently as well. He might be booked pretty solid, so for a pre-purchase inspection go to Concept-1. They've made too many mistakes when it comes to doing work on cars, but they do good thorough inspections. As for cost, I can't remember, sorry.

cancer man
07-03-2011, 06:20 AM
Originally posted by NRGie

Thanks

Save yourself the money and walk away.I work on these cars on a regular basis and they are the biggest money pits around.
An inspection would run you about 130.00 bucks well worth it.

Unknown303
07-03-2011, 06:46 AM
Everyone is telling you to run for it. I think that is a sign.

veedubin69
07-03-2011, 10:03 AM
Here's an idea, what about a PRE-PURCHASE inspection?

We do inspections at our shop for $130 w/taxes including a full vehicle scan. That $130 will go a long ways if you have the opinion of a professional mechanic.

You will have a complete list (parts & labor) of what you need to spend to make the CEL go away. Once you have this information, use it to haggle and bargain down the price.

These keyboard heroes are giving advice based purely on their experiences and bullshit.

btimbit
07-03-2011, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by veedubin69
Here's an idea, what about a PRE-PURCHASE inspection?

We do inspections at our shop for $130 w/taxes including a full vehicle scan. That $130 will go a long ways if you have the opinion of a professional mechanic.

You will have a complete list (parts & labor) of what you need to spend to make the CEL go away. Once you have this information, use it to haggle and bargain down the price.

These keyboard heroes are giving advice based purely on their experiences and bullshit.

We already mentioned inspections, way to sound like a jerk. Remind me not to go to your shop. Then again the amount of botched work I've seen come from you guys speaks for itself.

OP, go to Tunedub.

NRGie
07-03-2011, 07:43 PM
Iv'e decided to pass on the vw

Thanks for every ones opinions

DeeK
07-03-2011, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by btimbit

24v's weren't until halfway through 2002. So the one he's looking at would be a 12v

Good to know. Clearly I was mistaken.

Yup. George at Tunedub. Just opened up a bigger shop recently as well. He might be booked pretty solid, so for a pre-purchase inspection go to Concept-1. They've made too many mistakes when it comes to doing work on cars, but they do good thorough inspections. As for cost, I can't remember, sorry.

I completely agree with this.

If everyone is telling you to walk away, that doesnt mean walk away because they are not seeing the car first hand. Do what you feel is right. worst case scenario you take it for a good thorough inspection and then you have to decide if thats bargaining power or a reason to walk away. Get the inspection. It can't hurt.

AE92_TreunoSC
07-03-2011, 08:18 PM
After working on those VW's for years I'd say walk away.

But the only ones worth owning are the VR6's manuals with exhaust.

They can be nightmares, but at least the engine wont let you down.

Most of the starters/water pumps/alternators I ever changed were on the 1.8t's.

The only thing I changed frequently on the vr6's was the coil pack.

Interior faults like window regulators and door locks arent expensive although common.

I'd say have a professional look at it for sure. Don't throw out the idea if you enjoy driving it.

My old shop dealt with George at Tunedub for years and he's an awesome guy. He can be expensive but its worth it.

btimbit
07-13-2011, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by DeeK

Good to know. Clearly I was mistaken.

[/B]

Actually I guess we were both right. In Europe all MkIV VR6's were 24v, but in NA the 24v wasn't introduced until 2002.5

Mitsu3000gt
07-14-2011, 10:07 AM
Given the mods, I would assume the car has been bagged (not for sure, but a good chance).

I'd never buy a 12 year old VW that hasn't been maintained properly, and has likely had a rougher life. Especially with a CEL on.

At any rate, take it to George @ Tune Dub if you want an inspection, there is no better VW/Audi shop in town.