PDA

View Full Version : Baby Sitting rates

SJW
07-03-2011, 06:24 PM
What does a guy pay for a teenager to look after a 2 year old kid per hour?

Thanks.

chkolny541
07-03-2011, 06:34 PM
like 8$/hr or so:dunno:

tom_9109
07-03-2011, 06:38 PM
$5 - $8 bucks and hour for one kid, add another $3 - $5 for a second kid. $50 for a happy ending.

http://www.photochopz.com/forum/avatars/chris-hanson.gif?dateline=1174434810

ExtraSlow
07-03-2011, 08:00 PM
I pay my babysitter $12/hr, but she's an adult. I've heard $8 is the going rate for the 14 year olds.

frozenrice
07-03-2011, 08:27 PM
What's the expectation for those rates (no pedo comments)? My wife seems to expect the dishes to be done and the kids put to bed (including bedtime stories) and the house somewhat tidied up. If there is homework to be done there is also the expectation that they ensure that it gets done too.
Personally, I think it's alot to expect for a kid and not surprised when they make excuses for not being able (more like not wantIng) to babysit.

max_boost
07-03-2011, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by frozenrice
What's the expectation for those rates (no pedo comments)? My wife seems to expect the dishes to be done and the kids put to bed (including bedtime stories) and the house somewhat tidied up. If there is homework to be done there is also the expectation that they ensure that it gets done too.
Personally, I think it's alot to expect for a kid and not surprised when they make excuses for not being able (more like not wantIng) to babysit.

You need a nanny for that.

At $8-$12/hour the baby sitter is just there to watch the kids and that's it lol :dunno:

BigDannyCool
07-03-2011, 08:50 PM

It's like you wife doesn't want to be your wife anymore

Kloubek
07-03-2011, 08:50 PM
Yeah, a babysitter is exactly that. A babysitter. Bedtime stories - sure... whatever. But house tidied? Help with homework? That's not really in the scope of what most babysitters are looking for.

D'z Nutz
07-03-2011, 09:10 PM
The only cleaning you should expect a baby-sitter to do at that price is the cleaning out of popsicles from your freezer.

Sorath will babysit for free, but it'll end up costing you more in therapy later on.

Freeskier
07-03-2011, 09:26 PM
5-8 bucks an hour? Jesus that's cheap. I used to make 10-15 to put kids to bed and watch tv. And asking a babysitter to clean up your house? Get fucked lol.

hampstor
07-03-2011, 10:02 PM
My neighbor's daughter completed the red cross babysitting course a few years ago. They are telling them to not get paid any less than $10/hr now.

If you call one of those services and need someone on short notice, expect 20+/hr.

And no, they don't do dishes/clean up the house.

D'z Nutz
07-03-2011, 10:10 PM
Daaaamn! Are they unionized?

darthVWader
07-03-2011, 10:23 PM
At least $30 hr for SJW shitty end of town.

frozenrice
07-03-2011, 10:32 PM
It sounds like I'm not out of touch with this then. I've told my wife that typical teens these days are lazy and greedy and that she was expecting too much for what was willing to pay. Her rationale is that she did all those things when she babysat when she was younger.
:dunno:

JordanLotoski
07-03-2011, 10:35 PM
I take my daughter to fun flex on 130th ave. It's an extended hours daycare.

Mon- thurs open till 10pm
Fri-sun open till midnight

It's 7.95 per hour but if you buy 125.00 prepaid card it's only 100.00. Works out to 6.50 an hour.

She loves going there asks me almost daily if she can go.

http://www.funflexplaycare.com/

Troll-ol
07-03-2011, 10:55 PM
I'd say 5-6 an hour as long as they are doing a good job, dishes are washed, bathrooms are cleaned etc. They could also sit there and play xbox for all I care as long as they keepin an eye out.

badatusrnames
07-03-2011, 11:01 PM

So childcare, a tutor, and a house cleaner...that's a bit much I think.

Freeskier
07-03-2011, 11:51 PM
I guess it depends what time they're being hired for. Whenever I babysat, it was always starting at 7-8pm so the kids would already be fed and watching a movie before bed by the time I got there. Whenever I had to babysit over supper or whatever then I always did the dishes but that was unusual.

baygirl
07-04-2011, 12:04 AM
I pay my babysitter $10/hr to babysit. All I expect her to do is look after my 6 yr old daughter, not do housework(and this is during the day time hours). That being said if they make a mess playing, I expect it to be cleaned up. She has told me horror stories about other employers, and has said this is one of the better nannying jobs she has had... The more you expect from them the more you should pay.

Freeskier
07-04-2011, 12:26 AM
I'd also make a distinction between nannying and babysitting.

02WhiteWs6
07-04-2011, 02:28 PM
$10/hr isn't going to get you a babysitter/housekeeper. If that was the case, I'd hire and I don't even have kids.

It cost $100 to clean your house 1 time. You have to remember the year is 2011

spike98
07-04-2011, 03:49 PM
I pay our babysitter depending on the situation, its never the same amount. I consider things like the notice i gave her, the hours to be babysat and if it extends late into the night. I rent movies for her and stock food she likes when i expect her. She is a damn good babysitter and i trust her, that alone is worth the premium.

On a typical friday night 9pm-1am deal id give her $50. Works out to $12.50. If it was very last minute and she gave up some plans for me, id toss her an extra $10 for helping me in a bind.

Guillermo
07-04-2011, 04:27 PM
My wife seems to expect the dishes to be done and the kids put to bed (including bedtime stories) and the house somewhat tidied up. If there is homework to be done there is also the expectation that they ensure that it gets done too.

LOL, that's pretty ridiculous :rofl:

SilverGS
07-04-2011, 04:35 PM
How far we have come in 25 years. I think babysitters where expected to do a lot more in the 80's but yeah nowadays I doubt you would fine any who would do more than watch the kids.

Guillermo
07-04-2011, 04:49 PM
i don't recall my babysitters in the 1980s ever washing dishes or doing housework. and actually, shouldn't the babysitter be focusing on watching and playing with the kids instead of scrubbing your dishes cause your too lazy to do it youeself?

abyss
07-04-2011, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by Guillermo
i don't recall my babysitters in the 1980s ever washing dishes or doing housework. and actually, shouldn't the babysitter be focusing on watching and playing with the kids instead of scrubbing your dishes cause your too lazy to do it youeself?

I always did the dishes and tidied up the house (whatever toys the kids had played with) after I had put the kids to bed. I knew it wasn't expected, but I figured it was a nice thing to do and what parent doesn't like to come home to a clean house? It's not like it took me hours to wash a couple dishes and wipe the counters down.

Tik-Tok
07-04-2011, 08:00 PM
It sounds like I'm not out of touch with this then. I've told my wife that typical teens these days are lazy and greedy and that she was expecting too much for what was willing to pay. Her rationale is that she did all those things when she babysat when she was younger.
:dunno:

It isn't that "teens these days are lazy and greedy", it's more like someone was getting a SMOKING deal when they hired her, lol.

I remember being a kid (20 years ago), and my sister laughing at people who expected her to do housework when she baby-sat.

The term SITTER is pretty self explanatory.

SJW
07-04-2011, 11:27 PM
Ok thanks for the replies. I found a sitter behind us who has a sister. So they come with a backup plan in case one backs out.

I figure 8 or 9 bucks n hour judging by what you all say.

HiTempguy1
07-05-2011, 02:11 AM
Originally posted by SJW
I found a sitter behind us who has a sister. So they come with a backup plan in case one backs out.

In for pics! :drool:

SilverGS
07-05-2011, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by abyss

I always did the dishes and tidied up the house (whatever toys the kids had played with) after I had put the kids to bed. I knew it wasn't expected, but I figured it was a nice thing to do and what parent doesn't like to come home to a clean house? It's not like it took me hours to wash a couple dishes and wipe the counters down.

This is what I mean.

I wasn't thinking of a sitter having to clean your entire house but not leaving it in complete disarray either. Just the regular like cleaning up any dishes they might of used for the kids, picking up the toys they play with.

If you left a huge pile of dishes I wouldn't of expected them to do it but I recall many would do it to be nice anyways.

HiTempguy1
07-05-2011, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by SilverGS

If you left a huge pile of dishes I wouldn't of expected them to do it but I recall many would do it to be nice anyways.

Now THIS depends. If you cooked the kids supper, you should definitely clean up the dishes. I mean, whats one or two pots plus rinsing some dishes and putting them in the dishwasher? And if there are a couple other dishes, it never hurts to tidy up.

I babysat (well, they were 6 and 7, not really babies) for a while, back when I was 15/16, and got paid a whooping $7/h for 3 hours. It was a favour, but the son was a handful. Hilarious, but a handful. It was also expected I entertain them, fuuuuuuuu, I can barely entertain myself, let alone two kids with lots of energy. I do a lot better with kids 10+, but they don't really need to be looked after by the time they are around 13 :dunno:

polarice
07-05-2011, 11:16 AM
I think I got around 5 bucks an hour about 15 years ago (oh em gee I am so old). With inflation i'd say 10 bucks an hour would be good.

Honestly though, you're paying someone to watch your KIDS. Those tiny little humans you brought into this world-- you'd think that looking after them would come at a premium.

gts_gurl
07-05-2011, 01:19 PM
When I babysat for my "regulars" 10-12 years ago, they paid me $15 an hour - but like others have mentioned, I tidied up the areas we occupied and would do the dishes (if any), etc.

As long as you find someone who is great with your kids, your kids like and you can trust, pay the premium, it's worth it!