PDA

View Full Version : Experiences in starting a business

Manhattan
07-03-2011, 10:46 PM
What are some of your experiences in starting a business? How much the start up costs were, success and failures, lessons learned, type of business, and how old you were. And how things are going now if its still going.

Jlude
07-04-2011, 12:02 AM
It's late, so I'll give more detail on costs, etc later.

Structural Consulting Firm
Started when I was 24, I'm now 26. It's been interesting, I don't have a business background, so I've been learning as I go, but the one thing I have found, it won't grow as quick as you think. I've been growing steadily, but it wasn't at all like I thought it would be. For each of my clients, I put in a lot of hours doing marketing/networking.

Troll-ol
07-04-2011, 10:32 PM
I sold used xbox 360s , it went pretty good made some good cash.

bimmere92
07-06-2011, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by Jlude
It's late, so I'll give more detail on costs, etc later.

Structural Consulting Firm
Started when I was 24, I'm now 26. It's been interesting, I don't have a business background, so I've been learning as I go, but the one thing I have found, it won't grow as quick as you think. I've been growing steadily, but it wasn't at all like I thought it would be. For each of my clients, I put in a lot of hours doing marketing/networking.

I am in a similar situation now... started a engineering consulting company a few months ago with a couple friends... hard times now = easy times later.

Manhattan
07-06-2011, 06:46 PM
How do you get the expertise/knowledge at 24 to get into the consulting business? Used to think it was just for old geezers who didn't wanna retire.

effingidiot
07-07-2011, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by Manhattan
How do you get the expertise/knowledge at 24 to get into the consulting business? Used to think it was just for old geezers who didn't wanna retire.

There's a slight difference between having a successful consulting business and talking about having a successful consulting business.

Jlude
07-08-2011, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by effingidiot

There's a slight difference between having a successful consulting business and talking about having a successful consulting business.

This is very true.