PDA

View Full Version : Golf Clubs?

Feruk
07-04-2011, 01:45 PM
Hey guys, I've just started playing golf and am interested in getting a set of clubs instead of constantly renting. Any advice as to what brand name of clubs I should be looking for?

I don't wanna blow a lot of cash for a beginner set. Kijiji's got ads up for Men's "Jazz Applause Graphite clubs", "Northwester", and something called "Daiwa." Would you recommend any of these for a newbie? I'm about 5'11 190lb and can hit quite hard if that helps.

schocker
07-04-2011, 01:50 PM
I suppose it would depend on preference. I used to have northwestern clubs, were nothing great but got the job done when I was a beginner, had graphite shafts and all that but now I golf with steel nikes and need to pick up a couple other clubs to supplement my set. Maybe look somewhere like golftown to get an idea of what there is available, but probably for used stuff look for a complete set with bag, driver, woods, irons, putter etc so that you get everything at once and can practice with that. Jazz though for example is a decent brand.

colinxx235
07-04-2011, 01:59 PM
Feruk,

Definitely hit up golf town, they had some great deals the last weekend. Very often you can pick up names such as Jazz, Mizuno, Ram, Top Flite, Founders, Wilsons and a couple others that include 1,3,5 woods. 3iron - PW, putter plus a bag for < 200~250. Definitely do NOT purchase graphites if you swing with any sort of pace, (I personally feel like its hitting with a whip).

I had bought a set of top flites to do me in for a season or two when I jumped from juniors. Then I bought some Burner 1.0 steels to take a jump up. But it comes at a large price.

Judging by your size, if you swing pretty hard/athletic, I would suggest spending a bit of money on a driver (tons of callaways/taylors on special for ~150-200) Find last years model, get a stiff flex and learn how to hit it. Its a club that will last you a long time as you progress. I find the drivers out of complete sets to be extremely cheap and have large amounts of whip to them. Also break easily.

schocker
07-04-2011, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by colinxx235
Definitely do NOT purchase graphites if you swing with any sort of pace, (I personally feel like its hitting with a whip).

:werd:
When I changed from graphite to steel it was like night and day. Distance was further and shots were straighter and more consistent. Now I just need to go to golftown and pick up a driver and hybrid.

colinxx235
07-04-2011, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by schocker

:werd:
When I changed from graphite to steel it was like night and day. Distance was further and shots were straighter and more consistent. Now I just need to go to golftown and pick up a driver and hybrid.

Haha yah, some of the higher up graphites are a little better, but I still can't stand them, I swing with far too much pace :S.

What kind of hybrid matt? I'm personally still not a big fan of them. I just bought my Burner 1.0's and its 4-Gap no hybrids, didn't enjoy them haha.

I'd personally recommend a callaway driver (stiff flex too). I have a FT-5 which is pretty similar to the FT-i that is on special right now. It took me quite a bit of practice to hit that club, but i'm on my way to becoming quite efficient with it. Was hitting some good 285-300 drives at mckenzie the other day. Once you put the fade into your swing its a beauty.

ExtraSlow
07-04-2011, 02:19 PM
My advice would be to focus on 1) your putter and 2) a hybrid. Most beginners will use thier putter for about half thier strokes. you better like it. Hybrid will be useful for a lot of shots. I have a Cobra Baffler DWS that I absoloutley love. Use it from the fairway and rough. Even tee off with it instead of long irons on some holes. Very forgiving and easy to hit.

If you are looking for reviews, keep yourself in the "max game improvement" section and you'll see the clubs for your skill level.
Google "max game improvement driver" or Irons or hybrid etc. That'll give you a place to start.

schocker
07-04-2011, 02:23 PM

snip
Yah, I upped my swingspeed in the last couple years so I was struggling sometimes with them and I had had them forever to begin with. I am going to look at the nike machspeed one I believe on special as my irons were 4-AW so I would like a hybrid 3 as I love irons compared to drivers. I was going to take a look at that callaway ftiz actually lol, so I will have to stop by golftown on my way home from the office.

Mitsu3000gt
07-04-2011, 02:34 PM
A few things I learned when shopping for my first set (I am a beginner too, YMMV).

1) Buy used, or last year's irons. Unless you're a pro, just about any beginner/game improvement type club will do from one of the major brands if it's sized properly. Callaway, Ping, Nike, Taylor Made, Adams, etc. you can't go wrong. I picked up a brand new full set of Ping Rapture's at the golf show for $500, and I probably would have been just as happy with a lesser set.

2) Buy a used or 1-2 year old driver. Brand new 1-year-old ones are half the price of the new ones they bring out every year. Again, unless you're a pro, you probably won't be using it to it's fullest potential anyways.

3) Don't worry about buying expensive balls (haha). Again, unless you're a pro, the type of ball you use will be the least of your worries.

4) Focus on putting/short game. At least half your strokes will be here (probably more). Spend some time finding a putter you like using.

5) Don't spend all day at the range practicing your drive. Practice with irons, chipping, and your putter if you can. All anyone ever seems to want to do is go see how far they can drive all the time, but the most strokes you will ever take with a driver is 18, so it's probably one of your LEAST used clubs.

6) Anytime you feel like spending more money on equipment beyond all the basic necessities, spend it on lessons instead.

Also if you want to buy new, check out Golf Plus as well. When I was shopping, their prices were better than Golf Town on club sets, and I hated the staff at Golf Town (Shawnessey location).

Hope that helps!

ExtraSlow
07-04-2011, 02:49 PM
Good point on the balls. Cheap balls tend to spin less, which means less pronounced slice and hook. Sure, you give up some feel around the green, but for most beginners, a cheap distance ball is perfect.

Mys73ri0
07-04-2011, 10:55 PM
advice from somebody who is still a big time beginner... don't bother getting a driver at all... you'll always be tempted to smash the ball as hard as you can it will almost always end up anywhere but the fairway...

ExtraSlow
07-05-2011, 07:09 AM
I've added some more equipment to my marketplace listing. Lots of good beginner equipment.
Beyond.ca - FS: Mens Golf Equipment (http://forums.beyond.ca/st/333692/fs-rh-callaway-great-big-bertha-ii-driver/)

colinxx235
07-05-2011, 07:26 AM
Originally posted by Mys73ri0
advice from somebody who is still a big time beginner... don't bother getting a driver at all... you'll always be tempted to smash the ball as hard as you can it will almost always end up anywhere but the fairway...

so your advice is to not purchase an important club and not learn how to play the game properly....? all it takes is a bit of maturity and understanding to realize if you slow your swing down you'll pop that driver 200-225 pretty easy.

CaptainReboot
07-05-2011, 07:56 AM
I've been playing for a while now and I still don't really use my driver. I can hit it just as far as my buddies with my hybrid and much more straight.

Definitely take lessons, I did it with the city and it was great.

My set:

Driver - Adams Ovation
Fairway Wood - Adams Insight XTD a3
Hybrid - Taylor Made Rescue Dual
Irons - Nike Slingshot OSS
Wedge - Callaway X Series Jaws
Putter - Taylor Made Rossa Monza Corza
Balls - Nike Juice 312

These balls received the gold rating from Golf Digest's 2011 Hot list

http://hotlist.golfdigest.com/content/hotlist/balls/noodle-easydistance.php

I haven't been able to find them. They're supposed to be great for beginners and under $20.

Check out www.oobgolf.com. I use this site to track my scores and stuff.

schocker
07-05-2011, 11:19 AM
Well I had to stop using my driver to get good with my irons. I used to not be able to hit below say my 5, but now I can hit my 3-5 at least 200yds. My driver was pretty awful though and say 65% of shots were good so now it is time for a more forgiving driver now that I have corrected my swing and gotten faster. Who here is using fairway woods though, I have never been able to hit those :rofl:

ExtraSlow
07-05-2011, 11:44 AM
I use a hybrid instead of fairway woods.

~Leah~
07-05-2011, 11:51 AM
I've got a set that I don't use anymore... my beginner clubs. Some idiot (joking.... cuz he's on here I think) sold me Men's Stiff Shaft. They are awesome clubs for a beginner though. Larger face on the irons, more forgiving on mishits. I'd let them all go for $200... I think I have a marketplace posting from a while back. But that set also includes an awesome Ping putter that I just couldn't get my feel with... I've now bought all ladies clubs except my driver.

ExtraSlow
07-05-2011, 11:56 AM
Putters are so tough. You really need to find one that works for you. there isn't such a thing as the "best" putter for everyone.

I just sold one of those two-ball putters. Very highly regarded, but it just didn't feel right to me.

colinxx235
07-05-2011, 12:11 PM
^

Yah I can't get over the look of those two ball putters. I've been waiting for a nice small odyssey or ping to go on sale at golf town. Cause realistically my putter (from a junior cheapy set) does okay for now, it hits a little inconsistent, but im not paying 200+ for a putter when i can wait to snipe something on sale.

schocker
07-05-2011, 12:21 PM
I really like my dads white hot odyssey mallet, he got it sized quite short though as he likes to bend over alot when he puts, but he got it for a steal as it was a demo. I picked up a yes mallet putter when I got my irons, havn't tried it out yet though, longer shaft as I want to get used to putting more standing up.

supe
07-05-2011, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
A few things I learned when shopping for my first set (I am a beginner too, YMMV).

1) Buy used, or last year's irons. Unless you're a pro, just about any beginner/game improvement type club will do from one of the major brands if it's sized properly. Callaway, Ping, Nike, Taylor Made, Adams, etc. you can't go wrong. I picked up a brand new full set of Ping Rapture's at the golf show for $500, and I probably would have been just as happy with a lesser set.

2) Buy a used or 1-2 year old driver. Brand new 1-year-old ones are half the price of the new ones they bring out every year. Again, unless you're a pro, you probably won't be using it to it's fullest potential anyways.

3) Don't worry about buying expensive balls (haha). Again, unless you're a pro, the type of ball you use will be the least of your worries.

4) Focus on putting/short game. At least half your strokes will be here (probably more). Spend some time finding a putter you like using.

5) Don't spend all day at the range practicing your drive. Practice with irons, chipping, and your putter if you can. All anyone ever seems to want to do is go see how far they can drive all the time, but the most strokes you will ever take with a driver is 18, so it's probably one of your LEAST used clubs.

6) Anytime you feel like spending more money on equipment beyond all the basic necessities, spend it on lessons instead.

Also if you want to buy new, check out Golf Plus as well. When I was shopping, their prices were better than Golf Town on club sets, and I hated the staff at Golf Town (Shawnessey location).

Hope that helps!

I'll second this post, very well thought out. I also agree that buying a used high end set is better than buying a new lower end set.

My comments on the driver is this is probably the club that will turnover the most in your bag. I'm on my 4th driver and still not sure about it. So knowing this, make sure you do your homework and try to test it out before you bite. Many courses actually let you demo for cheap sometimes free so take advantage of that.

And last definitely LOVE your putter. Its the most important club in the bag and the one you will be using the most so make sure its one want to use.

Originally posted by Mys73ri0

I'll have to politely disagree. This club is probably the second most used club in the bag and the one that will get you the most distance. I do agree with your second point that accuracy trumps distance any day of the week but a driver is still very important in golf.

The head pro of Priddis greens gave me this advice at the range, take it with a grain of salt. Woods and wedges, if you get good at those the amount of times you have to pull out those mid irons goes way down.

Zephyr
07-05-2011, 12:40 PM
eBay has a lot of sellers that sell used balls picked up from golf courses. They normally sell by the bulk and are pretty cheap. Losing balls is normal, so it's better to lose cheaper balls.

Also it's always nice to find out your swing speed thus you know what type of shaft you need. Regular, stiff or extra stiff.

Tomaz
07-06-2011, 09:44 AM
Try them out!

If you are buying new clubs, be sure to see if there is a set that works for you. Clubs will come in many tolerances with different sweet spots. When I went shopping, I basically went into golftown and told the guy that I was a newb with a budget of $400. After going through 8 sets of clubs, I found my Nike set to be hitting the most consistent for me. Added bonus - Last year's model = WIN!

Last year I was able to pick up a lot of cool gear for cheap, just by shopping around and taking my time. I liked golftown just because they had the range there where i could get a feel for the club and see how it performed.

Last years WINS:

Nike slingshot iron set: $299, Reg. $799
Big Bertha Diablo: $50 after sale and gift card
Footjoy Shoes: $80 for last year's design (nobody wanted brown shoes in 2010 :dunno: )
Sick golf bag from Spareparts in Chinook - $70
Golfing attire - company expense :bigpimp:

I saved over $1000 just by shopping around and taking my time. There is no need to buy everything at once. I was told to start with my irons, then slowly buy the rest of the set.

ExtraSlow
07-06-2011, 10:42 AM
I'm really liking the Big Bertha Diable Edge driver I have. Been hitting it pretty straight.

98brg2d
07-06-2011, 11:36 AM
I'll have to politely disagree. This club is probably the second most used club in the bag and the one that will get you the most distance. I do agree with your second point that accuracy trumps distance any day of the week but a driver is still very important in golf.

There was a study published in the last year in Golf Digest or Golf that backed this up. High handicappers lose more shots to mishits from bad places gotten to by bad drives than they do from anything else.

The study concluded that high handicappers should be spending time on driver/wedges/putter with slightly more time on driver.

pdm111
07-11-2011, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by CaptainReboot
I've been playing for a while now and I still don't really use my driver. I can hit it just as far as my buddies with my hybrid and much more straight.

Definitely take lessons, I did it with the city and it was great.

My set:

Driver - Adams Ovation
Fairway Wood - Adams Insight XTD a3
Hybrid - Taylor Made Rescue Dual
Irons - Nike Slingshot OSS
Wedge - Callaway X Series Jaws
Putter - Taylor Made Rossa Monza Corza
Balls - Nike Juice 312

These balls received the gold rating from Golf Digest's 2011 Hot list

http://hotlist.golfdigest.com/content/hotlist/balls/noodle-easydistance.php

I haven't been able to find them. They're supposed to be great for beginners and under $20.

Check out www.oobgolf.com. I use this site to track my scores and stuff.

noodle+ balls on sale at golf town for $10

http://www.golftown.com/Noodle-Easy-Distance-Golf-Balls-12pk-P1879.aspx

CaptainReboot
07-11-2011, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by pdm111

noodle+ balls on sale at golf town for $10

http://www.golftown.com/Noodle-Easy-Distance-Golf-Balls-12pk-P1879.aspx

Nice find. Thanks!

jsn
07-11-2011, 09:49 PM
^^ Might have to go pick up a few. I'm running low on golf balls. I've always like the noodles.

schocker
07-11-2011, 11:07 PM
Those noodles are low speed though < 85mph for those swinging faster. No idea how fast I swing actually :rofl:
I could swear those nike distance sft ones were on sale for $20 though in store for the 2 dozen. I bought them last year, work pretty well.

I finally did choose a driver though, ended up with the TaylorMade Burner Superfast (10.5 R) for $175. Havn't got a chance to try it out besides the simulator yet though.

flipstah
07-11-2011, 11:31 PM
I too, am a beginner golfer and YES, definitely love your putter.

You'll probably go through a lot but once you find the one, hold on to it and treat her right.

I need to work on my swing speed 74mph FTL. :rofl:

jsn
07-11-2011, 11:46 PM
I like how the noodles feel soft upon contact. Yea I noticed they were for slow swingers. I assume that means they're made of softer material and get worn out quicker? My swing isn't too slow, but those should be fine for me seeing how I lose quite a few balls anyways. I'll probably lose them before they get worn out :D

jav_
07-12-2011, 12:30 AM
im new to golf...i've been eyeing for a set of ping eye 2 irons for a few days now...im also left handed so that makes them even harder to get...
as for a driver..ive been thinking about getting either nike sumo 5000 or 5900, or nike dymo...anybody got any experience with those?

jsn
07-12-2011, 12:34 AM
Ping eye 2s were/are a pretty popular set. They'd be great starter set if you can get them for a decent price.

http://alberta.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-sports-bikes-ping-eye-2-left-hand-W0QQAdIdZ290123404#

Here's an example. For that price, you'd be pretty hard pressed to find a better set of new clubs. I bought a set of used callaway x-14s for 150 and they're great.

http://alberta.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-sports-bikes-Callaway-Steelhead-X-14-Irons-LH-Steel-Shafts-Very-Good-Cond-W0QQAdIdZ294834357

that seems like a pretty decent deal too (if they're in decent condition).

Aniki
07-12-2011, 12:41 AM
I'm a huge club ho - absolutely love golf, I'm a 7 handicap. Golf town has some great deals on 1-2 year old sets. Make sure you get yourself into a game improvement set if your just getting started. If you give me an idea of how much you'd like to spend I can specify sets you should try out.

Stay away from Jazz, alien and nicklaus. Stick to Callaway, Taylormade, Adams, Nike or Ping - these companies have great game improvement sets and prices are reasonable if you stick to a set that's 1-2 years old.

Hope that helps!

colinxx235
07-12-2011, 07:24 AM
Those noodles are low speed though &lt; 85mph for those swinging faster. No idea how fast I swing actually :rofl:
I could swear those nike distance sft ones were on sale for $20 though in store for the 2 dozen. I bought them last year, work pretty well.

I finally did choose a driver though, ended up with the TaylorMade Burner Superfast (10.5 R) for $175. Havn't got a chance to try it out besides the simulator yet though.

Yah +1 on the noodles being wayyyyy too soft. I picked up that 24 pack of Nikes the other weekend, great deal. They are my "having a bad day on the course" balls. lol.

Those burner drivers look pretty sexy, took a quick peep when buying the burner irons, but until my Callaway Ft-5 snaps or w/e I'm good. What made you choose that one in specific? which others did you hit?

schocker
07-12-2011, 08:42 AM

Yah +1 on the noodles being wayyyyy too soft. I picked up that 24 pack of Nikes the other weekend, great deal. They are my &quot;having a bad day on the course&quot; balls. lol.

Those burner drivers look pretty sexy, took a quick peep when buying the burner irons, but until my Callaway Ft-5 snaps or w/e I'm good. What made you choose that one in specific? which others did you hit?
Yah, I have been using them when I go as generally I just had a random assortment of golf balls in my bag. I think I am down to 23 after glen eagles last year and havn't been out yet this year. Yah, the superspeed 2.0 looked much nicer but was also twice the price. I hit the superspeed in a 10.5 R and the diablo octane in a 9.5 S and just liked the feel of the taylormade better, not sure if it was more to do with the shaft or whatnot, but I will give it a go and if i dont like it just sell it and get something different next year.

flipstah
07-14-2011, 12:38 PM
I just bought a 24-pack of Wilson Smart Core... Tried them out @ GolfTown and it flew straight in my average hits. I'm sacrificing distance but I'd rather hit it straighter than further. Distance can be worked out through lessons.

Speaking of which, any recommendations for a top notch teacher? I am IN NEED of it.

That and figuring out my handicap.

WE NEED A GOLF THREAD!

colinxx235
07-14-2011, 12:50 PM
^

My bad if I'm interpreting this incorrectly, but are you asking what a handicap is?

I also don't trust that golf town sim too much. I'm sure others can verify its accuracy better. I tend to go with my dad or my uncle (pretty good golfer) and ask them to watch my swing/trajectory from behind to give feedback on top of how I personally feel.

colinxx235
07-14-2011, 12:56 PM

Yah, I have been using them when I go as generally I just had a random assortment of golf balls in my bag. I think I am down to 23 after glen eagles last year and havn't been out yet this year. Yah, the superspeed 2.0 looked much nicer but was also twice the price. I hit the superspeed in a 10.5 R and the diablo octane in a 9.5 S and just liked the feel of the taylormade better, not sure if it was more to do with the shaft or whatnot, but I will give it a go and if i dont like it just sell it and get something different next year.

I was never a big fan of the callaway big bertha series (similar to diablo I think)

I was a huge fan of the R9 when I hit it. Came down to it and the Callaway Ft-5. What sold me is the stiff flex on the callaway. I swing quite heavy and the less whip the better.

I was looking at the prices and the only one under 200 was the FT-IQ. Not a fan of the squared/flat backs on the club, looks weird. Shame the regular FT-I wasn't on sale.

schocker
07-14-2011, 01:14 PM
Yah I think it replaced the big berthas.
Once I get my swing speed up though I will probably go for a stiff flex instead of the regular and replace it, but until then it gives me time to get better with my driver as I havn't really used one in ages.
Yah the shape was kind of odd but it had decent reviews, but I ended up with something completely different anyways :rofl:
Going golfing all weekend in BC so I will get to try it out.

flipstah
07-14-2011, 01:37 PM
^

My bad if I'm interpreting this incorrectly, but are you asking what a handicap is?

I also don't trust that golf town sim too much. I'm sure others can verify its accuracy better. I tend to go with my dad or my uncle (pretty good golfer) and ask them to watch my swing/trajectory from behind to give feedback on top of how I personally feel.

Sorry; I didn't mean what a handicap is, but how to figure out what my handicap is.

I've recently recorded videos and posted them up on GolfWRX for criticism. It needs hella work.

colinxx235
07-14-2011, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by flipstah

Sorry; I didn't mean what a handicap is, but how to figure out what my handicap is.

I've recently recorded videos and posted them up on GolfWRX for criticism. It needs hella work.

Oh well calculating your handi cap is pretty simple overall. Its merely the average of a certain # of scores per rounds golfed (also including the difficulty of holes). I'll post a pga link below. Its set to focus more on your higher scores you can tell. I've seen some spread sheets or online calculators as well.

http://www.pgaprofessional.com/handicap.html

flipstah
07-14-2011, 01:50 PM

Oh well calculating your handi cap is pretty simple overall. Its merely the average of a certain # of scores per rounds golfed (also including the difficulty of holes). I'll post a pga link below. Its set to focus more on your higher scores you can tell. I've seen some spread sheets or online calculators as well.

http://www.pgaprofessional.com/handicap.html

Oh sweet!

Now, do I have to play the same course repeatedly or can I just use raw scores regardless? Does it also matter what year I did it in? Because this is my first full season of golf and started in late 2010 with some 18-hole scores.

Should I use those or start with the one score I have so far?

Aniki
07-14-2011, 02:14 PM
You can use scores from any course that's listed on the CPGA website - I haven't played a single course that wasn't listed.

Doesn't matter what year you did it in as long as you kept your scorecard or remembered the correct score.

Calculating a handicap proper handicap is pretty complicated. There are charts you can follow but for example; if you score a 8 on a par 4, for handicap purposes, you enter it in as a 6 when calculating you handicap.

colinxx235
07-14-2011, 02:20 PM
Yah if you read that link I sent it will explain all about how to properly enter your scores based upon the course.

Obviously if you golf say darcy ranch or mckenzie meadows vs a links or place like Sirocco, the difficulties range. Each hole has a specific detail on the score card, and that factors into what you enter. Takes a little bit to have an accurate handicap prepared. If only you could remove a stroke for every beer consumed while on course I'd be really happy :rofl:

schocker
07-14-2011, 03:01 PM
I need to get golfing more this year so I can actually calculate a handicap :rofl:

ExtraSlow
07-14-2011, 03:24 PM
It's really hard to calculate an accurate handicap for occasional golfers. For me, probably half my rounds are in "best-ball" type tournaments, which you can't use. Another few are with people who encourage a relaxation of the rules. How may strokes do you take for a "foot wedge," "Improved lie" or a mulligan? I probably only play four or five rounds a year that would really count, and I'm drunk for some of those, so let's say three. Would take me years to get the handicap worked out.

I shot a 91 at Priddis a couple of weeks ago. If you facotr in a few mulligans and improved lies, I figure it was a 99. Still haven't broken 100 on a legit round.
I call myself a 30 handicap.

98brg2d
07-15-2011, 08:32 AM
There are charts you can follow but for example; if you score a 8 on a par 4, for handicap purposes, you enter it in as a 6 when calculating you handicap.

That is not entirely correct. What you are talking about is ESC (equitable stroke control) and you would only enter a 6 instead of an 8 if your course handicap* is 1 through 18. 19 through 32 enters a 7 and 33 and above enters an 8.

To read the RCGA handicap manual go here:

RCGA (http://www.rcga.org/_uploads/documents/ENG_RCGA_Handicaps-2008.pdf)

Also, do not use the USGA handicap rules as referenced above. ESC is not the same for for USGA and RCGA.

I have built a handicap sheet, if anybody wants it pm me your email address. You will still have to apply ESC on your own, mine does not do it for you, which means you will still need to know the handicap rules.

*Course handicap is your handicap factor *Slope/113 i.e. at Heatherglen playing blues tees on Grove/Hills I have a course handicap of 18.4*126/113 = 20.5 so I can take a maximum of triple bogey.

colinxx235
07-19-2011, 08:19 AM
So a little side note for some people buying clubs or requiring certain things.

Yesterday I stopped into Sportchek on 130th ave to get my racquet restrung. Walked by the golf section and noticed like 20% this, 40% that off sale (shoes especially)

But I ended up purchasing a Odyssey white hot putter it was dropped to 100 on the club plus an additional 20% so I was content with that, and they had left handed ones for me as well which is always great to see! They had a few taylor Rossa putters on for 100-120 (take the additional 20% off ontop of that price as well). They had the taylor made bag i just spent 135 at golf town on for 105 also. Few little things like that. So if you need a few things its not a bad place to stop by and check out.

malcolmk14
07-19-2011, 10:29 AM
I've played 31 rounds so far this year and gotten the handicap down from 17.2 to 11.9.

My goal at the start of the year was to get it down under 15 and keep it there, I've been able to far exceed that.

I think I can be a single-digit handicap with a little more work. Most of my mistakes are mental mistakes - hitting driver when I know I shouldn't, going for par 5's in two when I know I should lay up and hit a wedge close.

I've updated my goal and I'd like to be down in the single digits by the end of the golf season!

ExtraSlow
07-19-2011, 10:52 AM
Congratulations! That's an excellent accomplishment.
Myself, I'm still hoping to shoot under 100. May have to play mackenzie meadows several times to do it, but I'm so close. I've shot a 103 and 102 on tough courses, and a 91 with some minor cheating.
I've been working a lot on the mental discipline. It's been helping turn my blow-up holes into more respectable double-bogeys.

schocker
07-19-2011, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by malcolmk14
I've played 31 rounds so far this year and gotten the handicap down from 17.2 to 11.9.

Good work :thumbsup:

I ended up going once in bc over the weekend for my first round. My grip was turned off to the right of course so every shot was far off to the right onto the next hole's fairway. Took plenty of drops and crazy shots until I figured it out. Now I am ready to hit straight the next time I go. :rofl:

The burner hits really nice though, just need to set the proper tee height to hit more consistent heights.

Tomaz
07-19-2011, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
Congratulations! That's an excellent accomplishment.
Myself, I'm still hoping to shoot under 100. May have to play mackenzie meadows several times to do it, but I'm so close. I've shot a 103 and 102 on tough courses, and a 91 with some minor cheating.
I've been working a lot on the mental discipline. It's been helping turn my blow-up holes into more respectable double-bogeys.

I am in the same boat as you finally. So far this year I have hit a 130, 107 (heavy cheat) and 100 (very minor cheat). I am hoping to be down to sub-100 following rules.

I only can hope. lol

Anyway, Golftown has a few deals on right now:

Callaway HX Bite balls on sale for $18/12

Adams irons for $448 (save $150) and get a free golf bag.

Cobra Irons for $350 (save $250)

trieu
08-11-2011, 10:45 PM
Didn't wanna start a new thread, does anyone know where to get golf apparel online for good prices? Nike pants for $100 seem a bit too pricey for me. Thanks

Mr_John
08-11-2011, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by trieu
Didn't wanna start a new thread, does anyone know where to get golf apparel online for good prices? Nike pants for $100 seem a bit too pricey for me. Thanks

www.golfdiscount.com

Golf apparel is much more expensive here. I was surprised at how cheap Nike stuff was in the U.S.

flipstah
08-11-2011, 10:54 PM
I'm getting better! I played McCall Par 3 with a 42! Not really worth something to brag about but hey, it was way worse than my first try at McCall haha.

ExtraSlow
08-12-2011, 06:23 AM
If you're having fun AND improving, that's awesome, no matter what the score.

If you're looking to play a relatively easy 18 holes, try MacKenzie Meadows. It's still real golf, Par 72, but it's laid out simpler than a lot of courses around here, and for my money, it's a fun round.

Anton
08-12-2011, 08:21 AM

If you're looking to play a relatively easy 18 holes, try MacKenzie Meadows. It's still real golf, Par 72, but it's laid out simpler than a lot of courses around here, and for my money, it's a fun round.

Haha I don't remember which hole it is but the one that has the green on a hill is my worst enemy. I don't think I've ever taken anything less than a 7 on it and I usually shoot in the 90s...

Fun course though!

flipstah
08-12-2011, 08:25 AM

Originally posted by Anton

Haha I don't remember which hole it is but the one that has the green on a hill is my worst enemy. I don't think I've ever taken anything less than a 7 on it and I usually shoot in the 90s...

Fun course though!

Looks like I'm checking out MacKenzie Meadows! They have a nice range too! Love real turf.

On a side-note, GolfTown clearance sale is awesome! Bought an oversized player's towel for $10 and a putter cover for $10 (lost mine in Crossfield)

colinxx235
08-12-2011, 08:25 AM
^

Yah I love Mckenzie (does help that I grew up in Mckenzie and its super close) it is good to practice drives, only one or two holes I find a little annoying.

I was pretty happy to finally shoot < 90 this year. Shot an 89 at Mckenzie last week. Followed that up with an 88 at elbow springs (shot the elbow and spring 9's), those burner irons I picked up have really helped the consistency.

This weekend looks like some good weather, hitting up silverwing Sunday, might have to find something Saturday too =D

flipstah
08-12-2011, 08:42 AM
I think I'll play Mackenzie Meadows tomorrow afternoon. Need to get out moar haha.