PDA

View Full Version : LF Roughneck / MWD Job

pr0blematic
07-05-2011, 04:23 PM
I've got no Rig experience, but I'm looking for a roughnecking or MWD job in Alberta for this following year.

I've got a lot of close relatives and friends in the field, and the consensus seems to be that in most cases smaller companies pay more (I saw the thread about Big vs. Small O&G companies), so I'd preferably be looking into applying at smaller companies.

I've got my first aid, and am signing up to get my H2S and PST this month.

If anyone is / knows of people who are hiring, or just has any input or advice, please PM me or reply here.

Thanks in advance!

Aerobat
07-05-2011, 05:31 PM
Might be hard right now, things are just firing up for experienced hands

badatusrnames
07-05-2011, 05:50 PM
Packers Plus sounded like they were pretty busy and looking for people:

http://packersplus.com/careers/canada.php

kdwebber
07-05-2011, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by Aerobat
Might be hard right now, things are just firing up for experienced hands

that is so far from the truth that it is not even funny

kdwebber
07-05-2011, 08:07 PM
every rig I work on I see green hard hats.... guess what that means?

take a bunch of your resumes and your certificates up to Nisku and you will get hired on guaranteed

pr0blematic
07-05-2011, 08:10 PM
Most of what I've been hearing from people is that come August / September, companies will be hiring a lot more for on-site rig jobs.

That's not an issue, I've got a great job here in Calgary that I have no problem staying with until then.

Just kind of getting the feelers out early.

thager
07-05-2011, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by kdwebber

that is so far from the truth that it is not even funny
i agree, one ph call and ill be roughneckin again and im not experenced i have about 8 months rig exp, i just know what to and not to do and the slang on a rig.

ExtraSlow
07-05-2011, 10:27 PM
Yep, you should have no trouble getting on.
Sure, it's been a wet spring, but it's getting busy, and the smart companies are trying to recruit now for jobs in a month or two.

It always seems to me that Nabors has the cleanest rig hands. I hear they do mandatory drug testing, which probably helps.

FraserB
07-05-2011, 10:32 PM
I soooo hope that it gets busy. The directional company I interviewed with, and apparently did well, last month apparently only has 2 jobs on the go right now. It would be nice cause its a smaller company and lots of room to move up if you are good at your job. Plus its MWD, so its interesting.

RX-7_TWINTURBO
07-05-2011, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by FraserB
I soooo hope that it gets busy. The directional company I interviewed with, and apparently did well, last month apparently only has 2 jobs on the go right now. It would be nice cause its a smaller company and lots of room to move up if you are good at your job. Plus its MWD, so its interesting.

What directional company did you apply at ?
I'm a consultant and can probably help steer you in the right direction

Pinner
07-05-2011, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by pr0blematic
I've got no Rig experience, but I'm looking for a roughnecking or MWD job in Alberta for this following year.

I've got a lot of close relatives and friends in the field

If your "close relatives and friends in the field" won't give/find you work, why would a total stranger ?

pr0blematic
07-06-2011, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by Pinner

If your "close relatives and friends in the field" won't give/find you work, why would a total stranger ?

I should have worded that a bit differently. I've got friends that have been roughnecking off and on with different companies, and close relatives that spent* years in the field. Of which my relatives have moved on.

Anyway that's irrelevant, I was just asking for advice / leads. So if you've got any of either, I'd love to hear more from you.

thager
07-06-2011, 10:55 AM
im getting sick of these threads, if you want a rig job go to precision,ensign and nabours. there usually hiring this time of year.
if you are as good as you say you are they will hire you, ive seen guys talk shit and then cry for there mommy after 2-3 days of hard rig work.
the first week as a green hand was hell but i stuck it out now its easy, im not a pro but i get the job done and i know what to expect on a rig, try tripping out for 11 of a 12 hr shift

pr0blematic
07-06-2011, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by thager
im getting sick of these threads, if you want a rig job go to precision,ensign and nabours. there usually hiring this time of year.
if you are as good as you say you are they will hire you hr shift

This is what I was looking for. I honestly just needed a point in the right direction as far as what companies to apply at.

Thanks for the help!

CompletelyNumb
07-08-2011, 03:14 PM
Savanna is hiring right now. The other big 3 thager mentioned are always taking resumes. I wouldn't say it's flat out busy but since the rain stopped a couple weeks ago work has increased a tonne. If you have your tickets you should get a job on the spot. You'll have more luck getting a roughneck job than an MWD job right now.

And there's always service rigs, for something different.

SkittleFreak
07-11-2011, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by thager
if you are as good as you say you are they will hire you, ive seen guys talk shit and then cry for there mommy after 2-3 days of hard rig work.
the first week as a green hand was hell but i stuck it out now its easy, im not a pro but i get the job done and i know what to expect on a rig, try tripping out for 11 of a 12 hr shift

I went rigging in the winter of 2010. Tripping for 11 hours when it's 35 below is nice. as long as you have the right clothes. Beats sitting around trying to find a heat source and look busy

Supa Dexta
07-12-2011, 09:26 AM
LOL @ Roughneck OR MWD..

Yeah same shit.. :rofl:

thager
07-24-2011, 10:55 AM
im currently roughnecking on champion 59 near kindersley, we got rained out for a few days, heres a few pics of the lease road and the rig tore out and ready to move, we were done sat morning at 3am the road was a sloppy mess, in 4wd i was all over the road only going 40km , were basically driving through a canola feild.
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150716108700109.706187.602140108&l=316f512204&type=1

ExtraSlow
08-24-2011, 06:16 AM
Update for all those who want to get out on the rigs. My company is running a dozen rigs from several different drilling contractors. All the drilling contractors are having a tough time.
I know for a fact that Precision Drilling and Nabors Drilling are shutting down rigs due to a lack of crews.
One particular Nabors rig I look after had 5/10 guys either new to the oilpatch or new to their positions.
I know of one rig that has had steady work for five straight years and even it doesn't have three full crews. It's getting desperate out there!

If you can pass a piss test and like working outdoors, come join the patch. And if you could, please tell them you want to work on Nabors 80. I'll buy you lunch if you do.

cosmok
08-24-2011, 06:33 AM
There's more green hard hats on the PD rig we're using for our pad than non. The difference in pay between a lease hand and motor hand is $1.20/hr :nut:. Every service hand I talk to says they just can't find people to fill all the roles. Hell I can't even get a vac truck without 3 days notice.

403integra
08-24-2011, 07:26 AM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
It's getting desperate out there!

If you can pass a piss test and like working outdoors, come join the patch.

:werd:

If you have your tickets and can pass a piss test you will get hired, they are hiring like crazy in GP and FM right now

ExtraSlow
08-24-2011, 07:41 AM
Plus, your job security is pretty good, since this activity level is being sustained while we have very low natural gas prices. Gas is predicted to rebound to $6 or higher over the next few years, which should fuel strong activity levels for that time.

Another great plus is that right now a lot of the activity is in mroe desirable places, like Rocky and GP. You don't have to go to Fort Nelson to make a buck.

All in all, it's looking pretty sweet for the field guys.

CompletelyNumb
08-24-2011, 08:24 AM
All this work in Rocky and I've been stuck out in Saskatchewan all summer :banghead:

bitteeinbit
08-24-2011, 08:28 PM
Yeah I worked roughnecking as well, but on a service rig. Not sure how the two compare. I would assume drilling is more repetitive but I've never drilled. Either they are not easy jobs. Anyone work as a tanker? I'm thinking of getting my 1A and either working as a hot oiler, water tanker or whatever.

And yeah, smaller companies pay more, but I've heard they often don;t have as much work as larger companies (not the case for me, we're plenty busy, but I've heard this before). Bigger companies might also have nicer perks or schedules though.

Racoonfighter
09-11-2011, 11:21 PM
A Green hat job is what im trying to get right know. I am guessing companies don't take me serious being in the lower mainland and all I have got my h2s and my first aid and will be getting my csts and tdg this week.What the best thing to do drive out to places like drayton valley and just apply in person?

Thanks for the help

thager
09-12-2011, 08:26 AM
call ensign 780-955-8808 , they are really buisy right now

ExtraSlow
09-12-2011, 09:59 AM
PD and Nabors are both hiring right now.

thager
09-12-2011, 10:06 AM
im taking my week off and the ensign office has called me every day to go to a rig, the girl i talked to said they are really buisy with guys taking holidays and they need to full those spots .

Racoonfighter
09-17-2011, 06:19 PM
K thanks guys I'm actually moving back to Alberta after living there for two and a half years hopefully i do things right this time around.

slinkie
09-17-2011, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by Supa Dexta
LOL @ Roughneck OR MWD..

Yeah same shit.. :rofl:

Lol'd hard also...

Yes OP applying in person is far better than being one of the million resume faxers. As others have said this is a great time to get hired. Just keep an eye on your boots if you're sz 9-10 :) Good luck man