PDA

View Full Version : Headphones w/mic

Mitsu3000gt
07-05-2011, 04:29 PM
Can anyone recommend a good pair of USB headphones with built in mic? I did a search on gaming headsets, but it seems everyone wants 5.1 or 7.1 headsets or something for their XBOX/PS3, or something without a mic, which is not what I am after.

What I want is a high quality regular, stereo headset with built in mic. It is for music listening (casual), and gaming while on Skype . I don't care about simulated surround sound or anything like that. Just good quality sound + a mic when I want it, and a USB interface.

I have been super happy with my Plantronics headset, but I can only keep it duct-taped together for so long and its finally starting to fail haha. My only complaint with them was that they sat on my ear, not over, so my ears would get sore. I want a full ear cup. Was looking at Plantronics GameCom 377 but I'm not sure if they are any good.

I've been looking at Sennheiser, Corsair, Logitech, Turtle Beach, etc. but I am unsure of what specific model numbers to check out. I'm trying to do a lot of my own research but if someone could point me in the right direction that would be much appreciated. I'm not looking for "Sennheiser is a good brand" type suggestions but rather specific model numbers. Are the Corsair HS1's any good? They are on sale at memory express right now.

I've read lots of reviews but most are like "yeah these headphones are the shit, they have wicked bass, thats all you need", so it's hard to find people who actually know what they're talking about.

I don't really have a budget but was hoping to not have to spend $200+. I just want the highest bang for the buck.

Sennheiser PC350's any good? I was looking on Headfi and people seem to think they aren't that great for the price, but my standards probably aren't as high given the intended use.

Thanks in advance!

natejj
07-05-2011, 04:34 PM
I have the 377's, and do not recommend them. They are only 1 year old and the mic is starting to crap out on me. They are also big and bulky, which is more of a personal preference. Let me know what you buy, I also want some new ones.

KeepItGully
07-05-2011, 04:35 PM
Turtle Beach x11's
Under 60$

I enjoy mine.

Mitsu3000gt
07-05-2011, 04:42 PM
Lots of stuff from Turtle Beach and Steel Series seems to fit the bill, but I have no idea how the sound quality is.

These looked particularly good:

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/PID-MX26497(ME).aspx

Beyerdynamic MMX-300 looks wicked, but it's spendy.

http://www.beyerdynamicreviews.com/beyerdynamic-mmx-300-pc-gaming-premium-digital-headset-with-microphone/

Apparently these are the same as the Sennheiser PC350 but for less money:

http://www.amazon.com/Razer-Carcharias-Gaming-Headset-Black/dp/B001PTH0VW

beecue
07-05-2011, 04:47 PM
^^ Those are supposed to be one of the best gaming headsets right now. I am waiting for the Xbox/PS3 version to come out this month.

Mitsu3000gt
07-05-2011, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by beecue
^^ Those are supposed to be one of the best gaming headsets right now. I am waiting for the Xbox/PS3 version to come out this month.

Which, the Beyers? Or the steel series? (sorry, I edited my post)

beecue
07-05-2011, 04:50 PM
Oh, you edited lol .. siberia v2

These were the best ones I found while looking.

Razer Carcharias
Turtle Beach HPX/HPA
Sennheiser PC350
Audio Technica ATH-AD700 (needs separate mic)
Steelseries Siberia v2

Mitsu3000gt
07-05-2011, 05:50 PM
Thanks...I'll probably pick up the Steelseries Siberia v2. Looks like the best bang for the buck of everything I've found plus the ones you've listed (a lot of the same stuff comes up in searches). Don't think I want to spend $350 on the Beyerdynamics, but they would be awesome.

npham
07-05-2011, 06:54 PM
I've got the PC 350's on a wicked price match from Memory Express and they were only worth it because of the price match. Definitely not worth it at regular price, or regular sale price either. You need a smoking hot deal for these to be worth it. Have said that, they do exactly what I what want. Mic quality is superb, but audio playback is not its strong point. Bass is average and clarity is tolerable as well. Not too bright either, which depending on your tastes can be a good or bad thing.

They are extremely comfy and can easily be worn for hours at a time without much fatigue. The long cable seems annoying initially, but once you find a good setup for it, it comes in handy when you need to stand up and get something.

Mitsu3000gt
07-07-2011, 09:50 PM
Just wanted to report back and say I did a ton more research and settled on the Steelseries Siberia V2.

Paid $87 at memory express on a price match from CanadaComputers ($89.99).

I'm super happy with them. Sound quality in games is awesome, the "simulated" 7.1 works well even though that wasn't a selling feature for me. As you scroll around the screen during a game, the sound changes perfectly in relation to where it is.

Sound quality for music is very good, better than my old Plantronics headset which I thought was great. For the price I'd be shocked if there was a better sounding pair of headphones. Bass is more than acceptable, and evertyhing else sounds perfectly acceptable.

The mic is great, very cleverly designed (retracts back and into the left ear piece). My friends report it's crystal clear over skype. It's VERY easy to adjust the perfect length and angle of the mic.

There's a mute sound and mute mic button as well as volume control on the cable.

They are very comfortable on the head, hardly feels like they're on. I wish the ear cups were just a smidge bigger, but they still fit my ears.

Overall I couldn't be happier for the price. I definitely recommend them to anyone if you're looking in the $50-100 range.

beecue
07-08-2011, 02:19 PM
Sweet, hopefully the console version is the same quality and at a decent price.