PDA

View Full Version : Anyone play in the AllCal Hockey league?

R-Audi
07-06-2011, 02:18 PM
Just have a quick question... do your goalies use certified masks or catseye?

Im waiting for confirmation from the organizer, but their website says certified masks only... which hoops me. I have 3 masks, neither which are certified. (CSA means jack shit in terms of real safety)

bmeier
07-07-2011, 04:19 AM
i played in that league for a couple years. i would be extremely surprised if any of the refs ever questioned your mask, you should be fine.

R-Audi
07-07-2011, 08:43 AM
Did any of the goalies wear a cats-eye mask though?

I might have to get another cage just to save face. Cats-eyes are pretty obvious.

The really stupid thing in all of this is 'CSA Approved' Not one mask in the NHL is CSA approved and rightfully so. While the tests aren't bad, they certainly pass some unsafe items. If my mask is good enough for an NHL goalie, Im pretty damn sure its good enough for mens rec league.

bmeier
07-07-2011, 11:34 AM
i cant remember any specific instances.

i have played in a lot of different leagues and i have never once noticed anyone have any issue with regulated equipment. players or goalies.

Davetronz
07-08-2011, 12:32 AM
Originally posted by R-Audi
The really stupid thing in all of this is 'CSA Approved' Not one mask in the NHL is CSA approved and rightfully so. While the tests aren't bad, they certainly pass some unsafe items. If my mask is good enough for an NHL goalie, Im pretty damn sure its good enough for mens rec league.
It's whatever is written into their insurance policy in most cases. Not really a question of safety. I've only seen a goaltender have his mask questioned by a ref in adult rec hockey once. I can't remember the league, but this was 5+ years ago.

R-Audi
07-08-2011, 10:32 AM
Well maybe I shoudlnt have asked, but the AllCal director is know discussing this with his insurance company... I cant believe I would be the first one to bring this issue up. I believe its done through Hockey Canada, so I could be screwed as they have recently banned the sale of Cats-eye cages in Canada for hockey use.