PDA

View Full Version : Can you run H.I.D. with stock housings?

Mar
07-07-2011, 12:24 PM
I got a pretty good hookup on a price for a H.I.D. kit for my Civic but I'm wondering if it would blind people without using projector housings.

Also, I'm told I'd be better off buying the cheap Ebay kits because they're better, this true?

sh0ko
07-07-2011, 12:26 PM
u can but ur just gonna blind the crap outta everyone and ur beam wont exactly be focused or "projected" properly

but uh oh....beyond might :whipped:

Troll-ol
I have my stock housings and I run 8k HID fine. I'll try and remember the site I used, they were like 50 shipped.

ninja edit

http://www.vvme.com/automotive/hid-headlights?zenid=bhts5f6iklvss1r7rq85mkqkga9b1qh3

go to that site, I have had mine almost 2 years with no problems

Chester
Can you? Yes
Will it look like shit? Yes

n1zm0
07-07-2011, 12:30 PM
expecting Scat19 or whatever the hell username he's using now in 5, 4 ,3 ,2 ,1...

Disoblige
07-07-2011, 12:42 PM
I rather go with brighter halogens if you are just keeping them in stock housings.

Otherwise those people who put aftermarket HIDs in their meant-to-be-halogen housings just look like they are trying to be cool but they're not.

I'm a bit biased I suppose, but I would NOT be happy knowing I spent money on an upgrade that pisses people off, and makes me look like an idiot by the public.

brokeass
07-07-2011, 12:45 PM
Spend the extra money and buy a set of tasteful projector headlights with HIDs.

You're beam pattern is going to be fucking scattered, which in turn makes it dangerous for the people who have to drive in front of you or towards you in the opposite direction.

Do everyone this favour please

Team_Mclaren
07-07-2011, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by Troll-ol

I have ...no problems

ya you dont, but everyone else in front of you is blinded to shit :facepalm:

revelations
07-07-2011, 12:51 PM
Honestly, from seeing the crappy retrofits on the road.... it just looks CHEAP when you're blinding everyone.

A proper OEM setup looks 10x better, from a distance.

Note that **SOME** OEM housings will accept a HID retro and give off a proper light cut off (dont think Civics are one of them).

Mar
07-07-2011, 12:59 PM
I don't want to inconvenience anyone, I got the option to get a set of PIAA as well, might just do that.

Troll-ol
07-07-2011, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by Team_Mclaren

ya you dont, but everyone else in front of you is blinded to shit :facepalm: Nah the talon stock housing is decent, no one complains about them to me even sitting behind many cops .

adidas
07-07-2011, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by Troll-ol
Nah the talon stock housing is decent, no one complains about them to me even sitting behind many cops .

How can they? They are blind for the next 30 seconds while you speed away in your talon.

:burnout:

Scat E46
07-07-2011, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by n1zm0
expecting Scat19 or whatever the hell username he's using now in 5, 4 ,3 ,2 ,1...

Don't need to, over the past 5 years I've managed to change beyonders veiws on this topic

:love:

whiskas
07-07-2011, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by Mar
I got a pretty good hookup on a price for a H.I.D. kit for my Civic but I'm wondering if it would blind people without using projector housings.

Also, I'm told I'd be better off buying the cheap Ebay kits because they're better, this true?

Yes you will blind people.

If you plan to go ahead with this, plz PM me your license plate #.

J-hop
07-07-2011, 10:26 PM
wow, you all just got trolled really hard :rofl: :rofl:

Tomaz
07-08-2011, 12:57 PM
Meh, I see it all the time. Sometimes i get blinded, but very rarely.

if you do it, 35watt kit, with you colour of bulb choice (4500 - 5000 will be your brightest, whitest light most of the time).

Re-aim your headlights the best you can to keep that haters at bay.

PS: Projectors are the shit. So get them anyway.

Vtek y0
07-08-2011, 01:43 PM
we all know how ricey the projectors look on civics....only reason i still have halogen housing however im running 35watt kit with 6000k an i dont blind anyone after adjusting the headlights.

btimbit
07-09-2011, 04:59 PM
Even if you adjust the housings so its aimed differently and not blinding people, it'll still look like crap.

duaner
07-09-2011, 05:40 PM
There is a reason that HIDs in projector housings are illegal in most western countries, if not all. It's unsafe for both you and the other drivers.

The light output isn't as good as halogen bulbs in those housings so you cannot see as well at night, despite the appearance of it being brighter and better. You can lower your headlights but that lessens the distance you can see, not to mention that the more light you put in the foreground will cause your pupils to constrict, thereby lessening the distance you can see even more. And of course there is the issue of blinding other drivers due to the light scattering. And all those issues get worse the further you go over 6000k.

4300k or 5000k look best, IMO, and with the proper housings are the way to go. HIDs in halogen housings look like garbage.

..*JDM Hatch*..
07-11-2011, 10:17 PM
I am running my stock housings with my 6500K's.they dont wander all over,they are bright as hell when im driving,but they dont blind other people on the road.

npham
07-12-2011, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by ..*JDM Hatch*..
I am running my stock housings with my 6500K's.they dont wander all over,they are bright as hell when im driving,but they dont blind other people on the road.

Proof? I would wager that you are blinding people, you just don't want to believe that you are doing it. It's not about how you point, or where the cutoff is. It's the way light refracts inside the housing that blinds everyone.

..*JDM Hatch*..
07-12-2011, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by npham

Proof? I would wager that you are blinding people, you just don't want to believe that you are doing it. It's not about how you point, or where the cutoff is. It's the way light refracts inside the housing that blinds everyone.

After installing my HID's i used my brother as proof,i i have lights aimed quite low though.He drove in front of me and coming towards me just to see if they are blinding the shit out of him.As he says,it dosent blind him at all,and he drives a Jetta.not some big ass truck.so i am led to believe that i am not blinding people.