PDA

View Full Version : Conoco Phillips - Interview

lasimmon
07-07-2011, 09:40 PM
Anyone interview or work with conoco before? Have an interview on monday with an HR advisor, competency assurance advisor, and the lead in the department. They indicate it will be a behavioral interview. Anyone have any tips or insights that would help me out?

Thanks guys.

nagooro
07-07-2011, 09:57 PM

lasimmon
07-08-2011, 02:22 PM
Also, the job requires a 2.8 GPA minimum, I thought I didn't have a problem meeting this minimum. On second review of my transcript I only have a 2.73 GPA from years 2 to 4.

I'm assuming this is going to be an issue, although I have graduated and worked for 13 months already. Anyone have any insight on how much of an issue this is going to be?

Type_S1
07-08-2011, 02:41 PM
Grades aren't a big deal it's more about the "fit". Everyone I know at Conoco loves it and I interviewed there recently(chose to work somewhere else). It is all behavioural as in "Explain a time you helped improve a business task or procedure." Try to use a real work example even if it is complete bullshit.

I wouldn't use all school examples if you can it's good to show your competant at a job as well as school. When they ask about teamwork bring up a team project or something from school, this usually fits well. To prepare I would look over a list of questions and have answers drawn up in your head so you reply easily.

Interviews, from myself and my class's experience, you spew out complete bullshit to make yourself sound good. If you do this well you get the job and prove you deserve it.

Last bit of advice...Don't be nervous, take a breath before you answer....you don't want to talk so fast you run out of breath, smile and when they ask if you have any questions ASK THEM SOMETHING. Ask them how the working environment is at the company. Ask them if they have a social club and is it easy to get involved. Ask them anything because this shows you are actually interested in the company.

effingidiot
07-08-2011, 03:37 PM
ConocoPhillips sure is a classy establishment.

A|pine
07-08-2011, 11:37 PM
pc

nissanK
07-09-2011, 03:04 AM
Originally posted by Type_S1
Ask them how the working environment is at the company. Ask them if they have a social club and is it easy to get involved. Ask them anything because this shows you are actually interested in the company.

I currently have been working with Conoco for 15 months as a contractor and have just been hired as an employee. I did research regarding the company, future developments etc... for the interview. Best thing I ever did.

I believe that is what separated me from other candidates in a big way. I'm not the best in my department by any means, but I was able to fit with the culture. That is what they are looking for more than anything.

Anybody can have the education, but not everyone can be managed and fit in a team.

Boat
07-09-2011, 12:20 PM
What Nissan K Said.

Do some research on Conoco's oil sands development. They will definitely ask what attracts you to conoco so be prepared to answer well.

effingidiot
07-09-2011, 04:06 PM
Research completed :D
http://www.conocophillips.com/EN/investor/financial_reports/Pages/index.aspx

-relk-
10-31-2011, 11:47 AM
Thought I would ask this in here rather than starting another thread. I have an interview with ConocoPhillips today and was wondering if their internship interviews are behavioural based as well? I have already done my research in regards to the company and preparation for the interview, but was wondering if what was mentioned from above applies to internship reviews as well (can't see why it wouldn't though :dunno: ). I hope so as this is the main preparation I have been doing.

EDIT: Also, is it rude to ask what the wage/salary will be for the job? I am new to this stuff so I was curious...

jmintz
10-31-2011, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by -relk-
Thought I would ask this in here rather than starting another thread. I have an interview with ConocoPhillips today and was wondering if their internship interviews are behavioural based as well? I have already done my research in regards to the company and preparation for the interview, but was wondering if what was mentioned from above applies to internship reviews as well (can't see why it wouldn't though :dunno: ). I hope so as this is the main preparation I have been doing.

EDIT: Also, is it rude to ask what the wage/salary will be for the job? I am new to this stuff so I was curious...

If you are an intern, then it is almost guaranteed that your interview will be behavioural rather than technical. They want to see what your personality is like and if you will "fit" into the organization. That's good that you have done your homework about the company as they may ask a few questions like "Why Conoco?" I wouldn't ask about salary or negotiating it until you actually get an offer, but that's just me.

-relk-
10-31-2011, 02:47 PM
Just came back from the interview. Thought I would post that it was indeed behavioural (which I was not doubting) for anyone who reads this in the future.

leftwing
10-31-2011, 05:28 PM
A little late but from what I've learnt/read/heard you don't bring up salary talk until they do.

FraserB
10-31-2011, 06:37 PM
At the end of the interview, I was asked if I had any questions. I had 3 questions ready to go and asked for clarification on one thing they said in the interview, did not mention pay at all.

They asked me if I had any questions about the pay and I just said that I assumed that the pay was on par with the market rate for my experience and education. They seemed surprised that I didn't ask about the pay.

Let them bring it up first imo.

sabad66
10-31-2011, 06:44 PM
I would say you don't really have much negotiation room for salary (as an intern anyways) at the big companies. It's probably a global standard rate benchmarked against other competitors. There's always exceptions though (if you're a genius maybe?). Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

badatusrnames
10-31-2011, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by -relk-

The value really is in them giving you the chance of getting some really great experience and the shot at a new grad job down the road, not in your salary.

To be honest, from their perspective, the candidates won't have a whole lot that makes them stick out from the others, and that you can use to justify a salary increase, they can just pick the next one down the line.

Besides, you'll get paid pretty well for a third year university student, so you can't complain.

-relk-
10-31-2011, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by FraserB
At the end of the interview, I was asked if I had any questions. I had 3 questions ready to go and asked for clarification on one thing they said in the interview, did not mention pay at all.

They asked me if I had any questions about the pay and I just said that I assumed that the pay was on par with the market rate for my experience and education. They seemed surprised that I didn't ask about the pay.

Let them bring it up first imo.

I did have questions for them at the end, but never ended up asking what the pay was like. Thought it would be better left out until I got an offer, like what was mentioned earlier. Ill keep this in mind for the next one!

digi355
11-09-2011, 10:29 AM
I'm assuming as an Engineering Intern?

Intern pay is hourly, and I believe just shy of $30.00 - $26.00 last time I asked. If you're offered a job after your internship, the starting wage is in the low 70's. The best way to get a job at ConocoPhillips (that's important) is to stress your commitment to safety. They expect you to walk the talk. You could go into your interview with an all D transcript, if you show them you're a safety leader with demonstrated behavior - You'll win every time.

Q-TIP
11-11-2011, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by digi355
I'm assuming as an Engineering Intern?

Intern pay is hourly, and I believe just shy of $30.00 - $26.00 last time I asked. If you're offered a job after your internship, the starting wage is in the low 70's. The best way to get a job at ConocoPhillips (that's important) is to stress your commitment to safety. They expect you to walk the talk. You could go into your interview with an all D transcript, if you show them you're a safety leader with demonstrated behavior. You'll win every time.

So true, I contract for ConocoPhillips and the safety culture is firmly in place with the office staff. Talk the talk, if possible without sounding like you are trying too hard hint at how you are safety minded in day to day tasks. I had to sit in on a stand down meeting that was obviously formulated in some office regarding the hazard of inter-workspace extension cords.

GordonGekko
01-16-2012, 09:36 PM
I have an interview with Conoco next week for a similar position. Anyone have anything else to add?

lasimmon
01-16-2012, 10:15 PM
Have 3 years experience if it's not a new grad position or else dont waste your time haha