View Full Version : Mikerowesoft

aiy_yah
01-19-2004, 02:52 PM
http://www.canoe.ca/CalgaryNews/cs.cs-01-19-0051.html

:D :drama:

Don't know if this is a repost.

/////AMG
01-19-2004, 03:48 PM
Seen it before, ever since the guy has been on CNN his site keeps on crashing due to all the visitors.

nismodrifter
01-19-2004, 05:59 PM
yeah just finished reading the article in the Herald about him......good publicity for him I guess...

Dj_Stylz
01-19-2004, 07:18 PM
Heard this on the news

kaput
01-19-2004, 07:28 PM

thich
01-19-2004, 10:13 PM
i dun think MS has any legal recourse, I could check thru my intellectual property notes again tho; but i'm sure there is nothing - no copyright infringement here really although it really should be something more along the lines of "trademark infringement" since it's against the name Microsoft... not any particular product of theirs. :b messed up

a thought just came up... of all the different types of ppl we have on beyond.. we don't have a lawyer and a doctor... hmmm? :dunno:

JAYMEZ
01-19-2004, 10:32 PM
ive got both those in my family thich hehe , I think we might though , got some older people on here.

xrayvsn
01-19-2004, 10:38 PM
If M$ can't get this guy with scare tactics or court, I'm sure they'll just buy his name out like they do with the rest of the competition. Good luck to Mike Rowe, hope he has a good lawyer.

Speaking of which,

Originally posted by thich
a thought just came up... of all the different types of ppl we have on beyond.. we don't have a lawyer and a doctor... hmmm? :dunno:

I don't know about lawyers, but I am a member on beyond, and have an MD. I'm sure I'm not the only one?

Ben
01-19-2004, 10:58 PM
Sure, you can have my name...for a million bucks...

Weapon_R
01-19-2004, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by thich
i dun think MS has any legal recourse, I could check thru my intellectual property notes again tho; but i'm sure there is nothing - no copyright infringement here really although it really should be something more along the lines of "trademark infringement" since it's against the name Microsoft... not any particular product of theirs. :b messed up

This has nothing to do with intellectual property - it's not even along the same lines.

In fact, Microsoft DOES have a case here. The guy is 17 years old, Microsoft has been around longer than that. His name is MIKE ROWE, not MIKE ROWE SOFT...he admitted that he added the soft to mimic the software giant, claiming it would be 'funny' to add the soft. There is no denyingt the fact of his intent.

Further, it makes it worse that he is in some of the same business as Microsoft. I can't go online and name my website www.MacDonalds.com and then sell hamburgers from there for the same reason that this guy can't name his website www.Mikerowesoft.com and advertise software and development.

Shaolin
01-19-2004, 11:21 PM
reminds me of Nissan vs. Nissan..

g35ca
01-20-2004, 12:45 AM
yup, as a domain name expert (at least I play one on TV) I would like to say that this guy has a case, and I do feel for him. But what he is doing is illegal and is considered trademark infrindgement. Saying he reg'd the name, cause he thought it would be fun proves it....and asking for $10,000 for his blood and sweat doesnt make much sense, since the domain was only registered 5 months ago...

sorry kid.... :banghead:

1badPT
01-23-2004, 10:52 AM
Followup story:
http://news.com.com/2100-1014_3-5143614.html?tag=st_pop

stockEK
01-25-2004, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R

This has nothing to do with intellectual property - it's not even along the same lines.

In fact, Microsoft DOES have a case here. The guy is 17 years old, Microsoft has been around longer than that. His name is MIKE ROWE, not MIKE ROWE SOFT...he admitted that he added the soft to mimic the software giant, claiming it would be 'funny' to add the soft. There is no denyingt the fact of his intent.

Further, it makes it worse that he is in some of the same business as Microsoft. I can't go online and name my website www.MacDonalds.com and then sell hamburgers from there for the same reason that this guy can't name his website www.Mikerowesoft.com and advertise software and development.

MacDonalds is a legitimate, albeit alternate spelling of McDonalds.

Mike Rowe or "mikerowe" is not a legitimate spelling of "micro"

I dont think MS deserves the name, and I dont think the kid deserves a penny. Its just a bunch of power and money seekers.

1badPT
01-25-2004, 08:53 PM
In that followup link I posted, it shows that microsoft (ie bill gates) admitting that they did overreact. :tongue:

SI-vic
01-26-2004, 03:33 AM
The case has been settled.

Both sides won without anything bad happening.
Just visit mikerowesoft.com for more information. hahaha