PDA

View Full Version : CarProof: Hail Damage

sper17
07-09-2011, 11:54 PM
I looked at a 2008 Subaru Impreza today which looked like it was in great condition, but when I got a CarProof report it showed an accident claim for $12,460 in non-collision: physical hail. I don't mind buying a hail damaged car if the price is right and the repair was done by PDR, but what kind of hail damage in Calgary could cost that much?? A full paint job with a new hood would be closer to half that amount. Ever seen a $12,000 PDR bill, or is it safe to assume a lot of new parts?

The price was about $2000 less than the average for Calgary, but the owner was quick to say "not to my knowledge" both times I asked him about any accidents (yeah right). He's the second owner and looks like he first registered it 2 weeks after the claim in 09. Any idea what kind of a discount is expected for this kind of damage? Would you buy or run?

Twin_Cam_Turbo
07-09-2011, 11:56 PM
Last summer we had a massive hail storm, I know someone who has $14000 in damage done to their FJ Cruiser and had to have every panel replaced or repaired, its possible with huge hail.

Kloubek
07-09-2011, 11:57 PM
Hail damage certainly *can* add up to that kind of dollar figure. I saw some cars from our big hail storm where no panel was salvagable. So, all new panels... then pdr or whatever is required to fix the roof panels. All new paint. New broken plastic pieces. Broken windows. Damaged interior (potentially) if the windows smashed. It adds up.

I'd use the report as a dickering tool, but no matter what -with that kind of damage you can expect your own resale to suffer... so he should be giving you a good deal.

wintonyk
07-10-2011, 12:01 AM
for a second i thought you were talking about my old WRX. I had a 08 that got rocked by the hail last summer. It was almost a year ago today it happened.

I was around 8000 in damage and that was all pdr. If i would have been at the university, the damage would have been even more significant.

Discount? Good luck, the car has been deemed to be returned to its original state. No way I was gonna take a hit for a car that is flawless.

tom_9109
07-10-2011, 06:55 AM
Ya, definitely not a PDR only repair.

T78Supra1
07-10-2011, 09:07 AM
I have an ml63 and because the roof, side panels and hood are aluminum they had to be replaced. So did the moldings and windshield and it came to $28,000

tom_9109
07-10-2011, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by T78Supra1
I have an ml63 and because the roof, side panels and hood are aluminum they had to be replaced. So did the moldings and windshield and it came to $28,000

I wonder if the Hail PDR guys just didn't want to do it because aluminum is repairable through PDR just like steel provided the damage isn't too severe.

sper17
07-10-2011, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by wintonyk
for a second i thought you were talking about my old WRX. I had a 08 that got rocked by the hail last summer. It was almost a year ago today it happened.

I was around 8000 in damage and that was all pdr. If i would have been at the university, the damage would have been even more significant.

Discount? Good luck, the car has been deemed to be returned to its original state. No way I was gonna take a hit for a car that is flawless.

No this wasn't a wrx. $8000 in PDR? I'm in the wrong business...

If the repair was PDR, then yes it could be close to flawless, but without records I don't know what was replaced, or how much bondo was used.

cream
07-10-2011, 08:48 PM
My friend's RSX was quoted for 12000$ after hailstorm. (Insurance covered) My old car was estimated at 17000$ damage and written off. Very very possible.

TomcoPDR
07-10-2011, 10:44 PM
Was he willing to show you the actual repair invoice for the hail repair?

sper17
07-11-2011, 10:58 PM
No, he didn't have the invoice for the repair and didn't know it had happened. I passed on it. The problem with a base Impreza is that it leaves you wishing you bought a wrx :), so I'll keep looking.