PDA

View Full Version : residential parking problem

ddduke
07-10-2011, 09:59 AM
Just wondering if anything can be done to people who park their cars (no expired tags, seem to be in fine mechanical condition) on residential streets and leave them for weeks. Is there a certain amount of time it can sit before it has to be moved? Checked the parking sites but I couldn't find anything.

I live on a corner lot and about 2 weeks ago every single spot surrounding my property was filled. This has never happened before, we live on a pretty quiet street where there's tons of openings. Now a few weeks have passed and I can no longer park on the side of my house because 7 cars have been parked there and unmoved.

Now I'm getting dirty looks from the neighbours when I park infront of their houses because they're not used to it either, seeing as how the street is usually dead.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
07-10-2011, 10:00 AM
I thought after 3 days of not moving it could be towed because its considered abandoned or something?

ddduke
07-10-2011, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo
I thought after 3 days of not moving it could be towed because its considered abandoned or something?

I know there must be something because I have a neighbour that doesn't move his truck (which is new, runs great and doesn't have expired tags) for months sometimes and it gets ticketed all the time. So now I see him move his truck from one side of the street to the other once a week or so.

Amysicle
07-10-2011, 10:42 AM

https://www.calgaryparking.com/c/document_library/get_file?p_l_id=85944&folderId=139080&name=DLFE-6001.pdf

Kloubek
07-10-2011, 10:47 AM
You can certainly ask at 311.

But honestly, if they have the proper tags then aren't they really entitled to be there just as you are? As frustrating as it must be, who's to say what is considered "too long" to park their car there without moving it...?

ddduke
07-10-2011, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by Kloubek
You can certainly ask at 311.

But honestly, if they have the proper tags then aren't they really entitled to be there just as you are? As frustrating as it must be, who's to say what is considered "too long" to park their car there without moving it...?

Yeah, I'm going to call 311 tomorrow.

I get what you're saying but the thing is that every single property on my street has enough street parking for atleast 2 vehicles, most have enough for 3. I dont get why 7 vehicles have been abandoned around my house.

I have no problem when people park there and because of the close proximity to the athletic park there's always people parking there, I'm used to it. it's when people decide to park there for weeks and prevent me from being able to park.

Masked Bandit
07-10-2011, 11:34 AM
If the vehicles are properly registered and appear driveable AND are registered to people who live in the immediate area there THERE IS NO MAXIMUM TIME they can park there. If however they are registered to an address that isn't in the area then I think the 72 hour rule applies.

ddduke
07-10-2011, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit
If the vehicles are properly registered and appear driveable AND are registered to people who live in the immediate area there THERE IS NO MAXIMUM TIME they can park there. If however they are registered to an address that isn't in the area then I think the 72 hour rule applies.

Fair enough, I'll just call them in and hopefully a few aren't from the area and will get forced to move, opening a spot for me.

jaylo
07-14-2011, 10:32 AM

OP, you must be living close to downtown and during stampede week or summer, vehicles park closer to downtown and/or visitors from other cities with valid visitor's parking permit.

I find the OP claiming that 7 vehicles are parked in his/her corner lot is over-exaggerating.

OP, you may be SOL given the situation, worst comes to worst just park somewhere else or in your garage.

Your signature says you have 2 lifted trucks, hence your neighbours giving you the dirty look.

If your neighbours complain then ask them if you are doing anything illegal and against bylaw and just walk away.

dexlargo
07-14-2011, 01:33 PM
If the vehicles are properly registered and appear driveable AND are registered to people who live in the immediate area there THERE IS NO MAXIMUM TIME they can park there. If however they are registered to an address that isn't in the area then I think the 72 hour rule applies. I don't think that's correct. I think you can make a complaint about a vehicle that appears to be abandoned on city streets, the CPA will come out and place the 72 hour notice for towing on the vehicle and if it isn't removed, they will then tow and impound the vehicle. I remember my brother got one of these on his car that he wasn't driving (the transmission was buggered, but you couldn't tell that by looking at the car). The car was properly registered to the address and insured, but he got the notice on it and had to finally deal with the issue and the car was sold for scrap.

The key is that a complaint has to be made before the City cares. Amysicle's .pdf shows that the number to call is 403-537-7100 for abandoned vehicle complaints/questions.

Troll-ol
07-14-2011, 02:01 PM
You got a lifted chev just pull em out of the way

ddduke
07-14-2011, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by jaylo

OP, you must be living close to downtown and during stampede week or summer, vehicles park closer to downtown and/or visitors from other cities with valid visitor's parking permit.

I find the OP claiming that 7 vehicles are parked in his/her corner lot is over-exaggerating.

OP, you may be SOL given the situation, worst comes to worst just park somewhere else or in your garage.

Your signature says you have 2 lifted trucks, hence your neighbours giving you the dirty look.

If your neighbours complain then ask them if you are doing anything illegal and against bylaw and just walk away.

I actually live in Altadore so not that close to anything stampede related.

I just peeked outside and counted, there's 6 now, one of which must have moved while I was at work. Why would I exagerate how many cars are parked outside? I live on a huge lot and the 7 cars can fit down the side easily, 9 could probably fit but people like to give themselves 5 feet on either side between cars.

I think the reason why the neighbours give me the stink eye is because everyone on the street is used to parking in the exact some spot every day and now they're losing their spots, which I understand, I just have nowhere else to park.

edit. I'm not even going to call the city anymore or anything. I'm just going to wait until they move their vehicles back to their regular parking spots. Then when the spots are open park infront of their houses with trucks that have trailers attached and leave them there for a few days at a time. I'm sure everyone on my street will know whos truck it is because of the company names/numbers on them.

2Legit2Quit
07-14-2011, 02:47 PM
This old fat fuck left his rust bucket boat car parked right in front of my old house from time to time then last summer it was there for over 2 weeks straight. My buddy and I honestly thought the guy died or something since it hadn't moved, plus he was really old and fat. So we called the bylaw police and they came and slapped an orange sticker on the windshield saying it had to be moved in 48 hours or something along those lines or it would be towed.

Magically a day later it moved and a few days later the old guy flipped out on me once he saw me on the street :rofl:

Kloubek
07-14-2011, 02:51 PM
They taught me something in college as far as advertising goes - there is no "bad" advertising. If nothing else, at least it gets your business name out...

schocker
07-14-2011, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by Kloubek
They taught me something in college as far as advertising goes - there is no "bad" advertising. If nothing else, at least it gets your business name out...
wat

mr2mike
07-14-2011, 02:54 PM
I thought you might be one of my neighbours, haha.

My street is the same way now. Used to be empty with 2 cars on the street. Now it's jampacked. One truck was parked unmoved for 1.5 weeks. Obviously on holidays or something but it is annoying when its infront of your house taking up a good spot.

jaylo
07-14-2011, 04:13 PM
There could also be family/relatives visiting for the summer. I would just wait a week or maybe see who owns those vehicles and kindly talk to them

Sugarphreak
07-14-2011, 09:24 PM