PDA

View Full Version : Selling a car on kijiji

r2.ha
07-10-2011, 11:11 AM
Hey so Im selling a car using beyond and kijiji but since my posting I've come upon two different people who asked me if the car is for sale and both telling me they will buy it for the asking price without looking and test driving the car. All they asked for is my address postal code and that's it's so the can make a payment to me ASAP and have me hold the car for them. One says he will send me a money order the other said he will pay me by paypal. One of them said they will make arrangements to pick it up in Calgary after I received the payment as he is a oil rig manager and not in Calgary at the moment but will come down as soon as I get the payment and the other said he will give me information to his shipping courier and make arrangements with them as soon as I receive the cheque and cashed it because he has went on vacation. Has anyone else experienced something like this yet? I have not contacted both people yet because I feel like this is some sort of scam that will come back to get me somehow.

dj_rice
07-10-2011, 11:16 AM
Scam. That is all. If its too good to be true, what do you think?

leftwing
07-10-2011, 11:54 AM
How is it a scam? If you get the money before you let go of the car I don't see how it could go wrong. I might not be thinking far enough outside the box though to see how a scam like this would work though.

FraserB
07-10-2011, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by leftwing
How is it a scam? If you get the money before you let go of the car I don't see how it could go wrong. I might not be thinking far enough outside the box though to see how a scam like this would work though.

Really?:rolleyes:

They send either a fraudulent cheque that you are now on the hook for or send you more than you asked and ask for the extra money back.

Troll-ol
07-10-2011, 02:14 PM
if they pay by pay-pal isnt the money yours?

tch7
07-10-2011, 05:20 PM
I received about a dozen of those sorts of inquiries while selling a car last year. Even when I responded to one of them with a price double what I had asked for in the actual ad, they kept saying the same things about getting somebody else to pick it up and how they'll pay.

leftwing
07-10-2011, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by FraserB

Really?:rolleyes:

They send either a fraudulent cheque that you are now on the hook for or send you more than you asked and ask for the extra money back.

What do you mean really? If you cash the cheque at the bank and make sure it goes through how is there any chance of being scammed????

jsn
07-10-2011, 08:35 PM

What do you mean really? If you cash the cheque at the bank and make sure it goes through how is there any chance of being scammed????

It's a scam, period. He won't be getting any money. They'll try to send him an email that looks official saying he got the money, hoping he won't actually check his bank. Stupid, I know, but there are people who fall for it. Anytime I sell something on classifieds, I automatically ignore anyone who says that they'll buy the item (without mentioning the actual item usually) at the full listing price and ask for my email/paypal for money transfer. Cash in hand is the only way to sell via classifieds.

cream
07-10-2011, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by jsn

It's a scam, period. He won't be getting any money. They'll try to send him an email that looks official saying he got the money, hoping he won't actually check his bank. Stupid, I know, but there are people who fall for it. Anytime I sell something on classifieds, I automatically ignore anyone who says that they'll buy the item (without mentioning the actual item usually) at the full listing price and ask for my email/paypal for money transfer. Cash in hand is the only way to sell via classifieds.

Again, if a cheque has been CASHED, how is it still a scam? It's not like they can take it back out of YOUR bank account..

Either way, selling a car, would people not pay by certified cheque and/or bank draft?

Agreed, most of the time it's a scam, but if the numbers add up in your bank account, what else would happen?

CompletelyNumb
07-10-2011, 08:48 PM
Cashing a cheque only means there was funds in the account. If it's a fraudulent purchase, the bank will take that money back. That can happen weeks after you've cashed it.

With PayPal, same thing. If you recieve the money it doesn't mean it's yours. PayPal will take that money back if the funds originated from a stolen account or credit card.

The only safe way to receive funds would be cash.

M.alex
07-10-2011, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by cream

Again, if a cheque has been CASHED, how is it still a scam? It's not like they can take it back out of YOUR bank account..

Yes they can and will :facepalm:

SilverGS
07-11-2011, 12:37 AM
I guess this just goes to show you that there are still many people out there who don't know about these scams and it is why they still do it. They just need a few suckers here and there to make all these attempts worth while.

Funny enough even in this day and age people can still run scams just like from the movie Catch me if you can.
1. Forge a cheque or money order from some distant bank.
2. Send it to trusting individual who cashes cheque and being a good seller sends item, extra funds for "shipping" as asked by buyer
3. A few weeks later bank comes back and tells them cheque is fake and they are removing the funds from account.

Yes it still takes banks time to determine if cheques and money orders are fake. So if I was to ever take anything other than cash and they are not in town and from town I would tell them there is at least a 2 month hold before I send any thing to Paris, France because certainly lot's of people are traveling the world but have time to peruse Calgary used car ads to buy a car for their father who lives half way around the world and will pay full price + shipping to god knows where :rolleyes:

heavyD
07-11-2011, 07:02 AM

Either way, selling a car, would people not pay by certified cheque and/or bank draft?

Agreed, most of the time it's a scam, but if the numbers add up in your bank account, what else would happen?

:facepalm: You would think by now people would be wise to this sort of thing but it just goes to show that some people still are willing to take the risk for a deal too good to be true. It's not most of the time it's ALL OF THE TIME A SCAM!

dj_rice
07-11-2011, 07:07 AM

Ha guyz, I am a Nigerian prince wondering if you will accept a business proposal. This is legit. In the end you will have $20 million for your troubles

smartcar
07-11-2011, 07:13 AM
http://www.cba.ca/tips/en/content/consumer/tips/August_EN09.html

"Upon realizing the deposited cheque is fraudulent, the bank will automatically debit the depositor’s account for the amount of the cheque."

This can take weeks, and you won't find out until your car is gone. No real buyer would pay for a car without checking it out first.