PDA

View Full Version : Shaw PVR Problem

Manhattan
07-10-2011, 02:20 PM
So I hardly watch any TV during the summer because it's all re-runs and there's no sports. I had planned on cancelling the cable for a few months til I could finish watching the nearly 1 TB of shows I had stored on the PVR. But when I called the rep at shaw told me I would lose access to my recorded shows and the PVR would be inaccessible if I cancelled the cable. I searched around some forums and apparently this is true. Anyone know how to get around this so I can still watch the shows after cancelling their service?

redevil
07-10-2011, 04:31 PM
Have you tried to unplug the cable from the PVR, then try to see if you can access the recorded shows on your hard drive? This should work. You then can call Shaw to cancel your cable so they do not deactivate your PVR box or rest it. They can't deactivate it if it is not plugged into the cable. Only way I can think of you being able to watch what it on your hd. I did not know they wipe your PVR if you cancel your cable with them. Thought they would just stop the feed from going to your house. :dunno:

mazdavirgin
07-11-2011, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by redevil
Have you tried to unplug the cable from the PVR, then try to see if you can access the recorded shows on your hard drive? This should work. You then can call Shaw to cancel your cable so they do not deactivate your PVR box or rest it. They can't deactivate it if it is not plugged into the cable. Only way I can think of you being able to watch what it on your hd. I did not know they wipe your PVR if you cancel your cable with them. Thought they would just stop the feed from going to your house. :dunno:

The hard drive has DRM allowing it to be only played by the PVR. They don't wipe the PVR if you unsubscribe the only thing that happens is they prevent you from using the PVR. You might be able to get away with it if you unplug the PVR from the coax cable and keep it powered on.