PDA

View Full Version : Cell: C333 or C350

Khyron
01-19-2004, 03:23 PM
My wife needs to replace her brick phone. Doesn't use it much, never internet/messaging etc. Doesn't care about color screen and she's not crazy about flips.

Rogers has a good 20/month plan - but the phone is either the C333 or the C350.

333 = 50 buck gift card for radio shack.
350 = nothing.

333 = CDMA phone, 350 = GSM. I hear people arguing about the 2 types, but I don't know if it would make a difference to us.

The goon at RS said the 333 is crap. I think he just wanted to sell her a color screen.

C350 (http://commerce.motorola.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=256470&prmenbr=126&phone_cgrfnbr=1&zipcode=)

C333 (http://commerce.motorola.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=249194&prmenbr=126&phone_cgrfnbr=1&zipcode=)

Thoughts?

Khyron

V_boy
01-19-2004, 03:25 PM
get the c 370g on rogers. It will have longer battery than the other two as well as better reception because of the power class 4 system. It will run 40 bucks on rogers 2 year.

BTW I had nothing but complaints on both the c333 and c350

ZorroAMG
01-19-2004, 03:41 PM
I have the C350 and it is great, I have had no probs with it. The bonus as opposed to a lot of other phones is when it gets all scratched up, new front and back plates are like 30 bucks...It is really small and great for me cause I wear suits all the time and it doesnt stretch out pockets....

C333 had some issues i beleive, that is why I got the 350 instead...good luck with the choice.

Mark

Fluidic
01-19-2004, 03:47 PM
I think you have the C333 phone band mixed up. If indeed it's not a GSM phone (I'm really not sure), and it's on the Rogers network, it will be using the old TDMA service band. Only Telus and Bell Mobility deal in CDMA bands. Thus... I would go C350 any day because the sound quality on TDMA is really, really poor -- makes an analog signal look classy.

Go GSM or go home. Yes I dumped my Rogers GSM plan because of poor customer service, but I just walked next door and purchased a Fido plan -- GSM! :)

EDIT: the link you listed to the C333 Motorola website is for Verizon Wireless (not Rogers). Motorola manufactures different phones for different companies... and since you and I live in Calgary... well... you get the idea.

88CRX
01-19-2004, 03:49 PM
i have the c333 :thumbsdow :thumbsdow

biggest pos ever!!!

D'z Nutz
01-19-2004, 04:04 PM
Yeah, unfortunately of the two choices you picked, the only one you'll be able to use is the C350 (which is the better of the two anyways). The two CDMA carriers Bell and Telus won't let you use that C333 unless it's one of theirs, which to my knowledge, they don't carry.

Weapon_R
01-19-2004, 04:10 PM
I've had both phones, and there is a world of difference between the C333 and the C350.

The C333 has to be one of the worst, if not the worst, Rogers telephone ever marketed. The earpiece sweet spot is tough to find, the ringer is too low to hear if its in your pocket, and the battery life is terrible (and not to forget, you cannot replace it since it's built right into the phone).

The C350 is a fantastic improvement. The battery can be replaced, and the battery life is much improved. Reception is also improved. Also, the earpiece has been improved.

If you get the C333, you will want to throw it off a cliff. I almost did the same to mine. Get the C350 - it's actually a pretty nice phone.

88CRX
01-19-2004, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
I've had both phones, and there is a world of difference between the C333 and the C350.

The C333 has to be one of the worst, if not the worst, Rogers telephone ever marketed. The earpiece sweet spot is tough to find, the ringer is too low to hear if its in your pocket, and the battery life is terrible (and not to forget, you cannot replace it since it's built right into the phone).

The C350 is a fantastic improvement. The battery can be replaced, and the battery life is much improved. Reception is also improved. Also, the earpiece has been improved.

If you get the C333, you will want to throw it off a cliff. I almost did the same to mine. Get the C350 - it's actually a pretty nice phone.

your serious?? i cant replace the battery!!! fuck!!!

mine is only lasting a few hours at a time now :banghead:

Khyron
01-19-2004, 04:24 PM
Just a few things (I did some quick research before posting and did some more)

The links I posted were just for specs from Motorola - in Calgary the 333 is whatever band Rogers uses (both 333 and 350 are in Radio shack plans). Bands are confusing for a non-phone person - I didn't know they would change bands based on who the sell it to. :banghead: Bottom line is if I'm getting a Rogers phone, get one that's GSM?

The 333 battery can be replaced but you have to send the phone in while they do it (like the old Ipods). Tho I have never had a battery wear out before I was ready to trash the phone. :)

Some reviews I have read recommended the Siemens C56, and the Nokia 3595 but I haven't looked them up yet.

So I guess the Radio Shack guy wasn't full of it when he told me I would hate the 333 (the reception complaints are concerning, and the little nub controller is weird).

So if anyone has a better idea than the 350 for small, decent reception, decent bat life for a casual user lemme know so I can look it up.

Oh and from a review: For a 350 owner - can you bring up the Missed Calls list at will? A reviewer said you can only get to it if you miss a call - if you want to look at it later, the option isn't there. Maybe he was just missing a menu?

Thanks!

Khyron

ZorroAMG
01-19-2004, 04:36 PM
There is Received calls and dialed calls, missed will appear under received after the fact for review at later dates

Khyron
01-19-2004, 04:52 PM
Ah so that reviewer just assumed they'd be in separate lists.

So far the extra bat life and reception of the 370 is looking worth the extra 25 bucks. She's gonna have a nicer phone than me at this rate. :eek:

Khyron

RX-7_TWINTURBO
01-19-2004, 04:54 PM
look into a sony ericsson T226
its in the same class as the the motorola C370
or you can never go wrong with a Nokia 3590 or 3595

GTS Jeff
01-19-2004, 05:34 PM
first off, wtf are u doing at radio shack of all places?

anyway, what rogers plan are u referring to? telus and bell both offer plans similar to rogers in one way or another but theyll cost u way less headaches as far as customer service and reception goes. even if the telus/bell plans are a couple bucks more every month, its damn worth it when u consider reception, customer service, and company policies.

Weapon_R
01-19-2004, 05:34 PM
The 3595 is the best entry level phone, hands down. Incredible reception, much of the same features as the other phones in the same market, and overall a well built phone. Only downfall is that it's too big. The keys are kinda awkward at first but become very easy to use after a couple of days.

D'z Nutz
01-19-2004, 05:49 PM
Jeff brings up a good point. Stay the fuck away from Roger's at all costs. Place is run by a bunch of fuck heads. My sister is going through a hell of a time with them right now. A couple months ago, somehow a new roger's cell phone arrived at our doorstep for no apparent reason purchased through Futureshop. She went to take it back because her contract was ending and she wanted nothing to do with Roger's anymore based on previous customer service and as well she didn't want to somehow get stuck with whatever charges that would've came with the phone. Anyways, the following month her bill turns out to be more than twice what it usually is because of that phone she returned. She called them up, told them to take that phone off her account because it had nothing to do with her. They told her to pay the balance and they'd credit her the money after they got the phone issue resolved. This month, she gets a whole new bill because they've yet to take the damn phone off her account! They just don't get it!

Khyron
01-19-2004, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
first off, wtf are u doing at radio shack of all places?

anyway, what rogers plan are u referring to? telus and bell both offer plans similar to rogers in one way or another but theyll cost u way less headaches as far as customer service and reception goes. even if the telus/bell plans are a couple bucks more every month, its damn worth it when u consider reception, customer service, and company policies.

I was in the mall eating a Donair and the Radio Shack just called to me. :P

I'm on Telus for work, so it makes sense to use a different provider - more chance of coverage. Besides, she doesn't leave city limits.

She's on Rogers now and she said she hardly ever has bad reception/dropped calls. Plus all the Telus phones are flip, or they are huge. I looked at Fido as well, but they charge a lot for the phones.

I'm looking at bare 20-25/month, maybe 150 mins total, and small. Telus, Rogers, Fido - they all have the entry plan, it's just finding a decent phone the smaller the better but doesn't flip, has excellent battery and good reception.

Khyron

thorin33
01-19-2004, 06:12 PM
Khyron,

Just get on Fido and buy an A56. Great little phone and very good reception in the city. For Rogers, I would go with the Nokia 3595. Great phone...just a bit big.

Khyron
01-19-2004, 07:14 PM
Hrm Fido with A56...

200 mins instead of 150 with rogers, no 35 dollar activation, and .20/min extra instead of .25(rogers).

Not so good coverage out of town but now I have another option to consier, doh! :D

Khyron

Weapon_R
01-19-2004, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by Khyron
Hrm Fido with A56...

200 mins instead of 150 with rogers, no 35 dollar activation, and .20/min extra instead of .25(rogers).

Not so good coverage out of town but now I have another option to consier, doh! :D

Khyron

Not to mention the per second billing :)

craigcd
01-21-2004, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz
Jeff brings up a good point. Stay the fuck away from Roger's at all costs. Place is run by a bunch of fuck heads. My sister is going through a hell of a time with them right now. A couple months ago, somehow a new roger's cell phone arrived at our doorstep for no apparent reason purchased through Futureshop. She went to take it back because her contract was ending and she wanted nothing to do with Roger's anymore based on previous customer service and as well she didn't want to somehow get stuck with whatever charges that would've came with the phone. Anyways, the following month her bill turns out to be more than twice what it usually is because of that phone she returned. She called them up, told them to take that phone off her account because it had nothing to do with her. They told her to pay the balance and they'd credit her the money after they got the phone issue resolved. This month, she gets a whole new bill because they've yet to take the damn phone off her account! They just don't get it!

So bad becasue they no this yet they do nothing to fix it..... we need another good GSM network.... will Bell or Telus ever convert? What about like verizon or something coming to Canada?

girlRACER
01-21-2004, 01:08 AM
The C333 is a GSM phone because it uses a SIM card but it is not a tri-band and as everyone else said it is locked.

Rogers has really crappy reception but in my experience I have had the best reception with the C333 on the Rogers network. Previously I had a V70 which couldn't receive any calls anywhere. I ended up selling it and got a Nokia 8390 and that phone was defective. I traded it for a C333 and I've been happy since.

It's small, cheap, has white backlit, polyphonic ringtones, and games. Battery life could be better but like all Motorola cellphones, battery life sucks.

craigcd
01-21-2004, 01:30 AM
Originally posted by girlRACER
The C333 is a GSM phone because it uses a SIM card but it is not a tri-band and as everyone else said it is locked.

Rogers has really crappy reception but in my experience I have had the best reception with the C333 on the Rogers network. Previously I had a V70 which couldn't receive any calls anywhere. I ended up selling it and got a Nokia 8390 and that phone was defective. I traded it for a C333 and I've been happy since.

It's small, cheap, has white backlit, polyphonic ringtones, and games. Battery life could be better but like all Motorola cellphones, battery life sucks.

Motorola has recognized there is a problem with the phones(software is killing the battery) and they are supposed to be swapping them out for replacements... which they are doing a poor job of. You likly have one with the software upgrade.

This is only what i have heard.... so dont quote me on it

szw
01-21-2004, 01:34 AM
I'd definately say fido but I'm not sure what you mean about the phones being expensive.

You missed the $5 then the $25 phones....but the fido store at New Asia still has the $25 sign for the siemens m55 up. You might still be able to get it at that price, but I think the official price is 75 now.

The siemens a56 is still 5 bucks, small and good reception but kinda ugly.

You can always return within 15 days if you're not happy with fido anyways.

PM me if u need a referral (save $20 :bigpimp: )

el_fefes
01-21-2004, 09:21 PM
First of all wat's wrong with radioshack? (i work there :D haha) I'm on fido, and i have a sonyericsson t300 reception is kinda crappy but the plan i'm on i only end up paying like 33 dollars, plan's supposed to be 25 for 150 mins weekday and 1000 evenings and weekend and free fido-to-fido haha, not to bad, rogers has a similar plan for like $40:eek: although the evenings/weekends are unlimited... Second, all of rogers phones are gsm except 2 of the pay-as-you-go ones. Third, don't get the c333 it's a piece, i've seen soo many of them come back due to battery issues, customers r not too happy about that cuz they have to send the phone in too (embedded battery) reception is crap, etc. I'd probably go for the 3595 Nokia has excellent reception...oh...and if you get a phone get the extended warranty!! trust me. Just my two cents.:thumbsup:

craigcd
01-22-2004, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by dfgh
First of all wat's wrong with radioshack?

Not so much Radio Shack but all of Intertan:thumbsdow

XylathaneGTR
01-22-2004, 12:36 AM
C333 = UBER gay.
Don't go near that phone, i have 2 friends that bought them, and they totally regret ever getting a plan with it.

silvercivicsir
01-22-2004, 11:27 AM
C333 is shit. C350 is Bad too.. c256 is crap, c370 is crap, t720 is crap no matter what people say it's the worst phones you can buy.. Come to think about it, the whole Motorola Line of GSm phones suck balls.. I'd stay away..

Stick with Nokia..

Just my 2 cents.

Khyron
01-22-2004, 11:51 AM
Show me a Nokia that isn't the size of a toaster and I'll consider it. I think I'll pay the extra 25 bucks and get the c370. Reviews are positive for the most part, and the small size is good.

Probably stick with Rogers so she can keep her phone number - unless Canada lets you move your number to different providers?

Khyron

silvercivicsir
01-22-2004, 01:18 PM
Ok, but don't say i didn't warn you. Everybody, and I mean everybody I know that has had a c333 wishes they never bought that phone. Some people i know have had to replace the phone 7 times. ||| Trust me I work for Rogers Att Wireless |||||

Also look at the phone manufactors ratings, Nokia is number one for a reason, Motorola is like in last place because people know there phones are shit, Why do you think they started to offer a 2 year warrenty on the t720 ? because everybody knows there phones are garbage..

If you want small size I'd buy the Sony Ericsson t226 over any motorola product.. or maybe the Siemens c56 but no color screen

Why not spend the 30 bucks and get the LG 4010 flip phone ?

Buy what ever you want, but if your unhappy with the c370 don't say i didn't warn you, and good luck getting warrenty work/quick service from motorola !!!!

craigcd
01-22-2004, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by Khyron
Show me a Nokia that isn't the size of a toaster and I'll consider it. I think I'll pay the extra 25 bucks and get the c370. Reviews are positive for the most part, and the small size is good.

Probably stick with Rogers so she can keep her phone number - unless Canada lets you move your number to different providers?

Khyron

There is lots of phones you can buy from elsewhere and put them on the Rogers network, including smaller nokias.

Whats wrong with the Seimens C56? I use it, couldnt stand my T720. Good size and good reception.

96Mx6
01-22-2004, 03:15 PM
Wife went through 3 333's in a year and the lastest one's battery lasted for less then a month. And the coverage licks ass, I would NOT recommend Rogers to anyone.:thumbsdow :thumbsdow