PDA

View Full Version : Allergy help, particularly bad today

Cos
07-11-2011, 02:54 AM

Squishy
07-11-2011, 03:15 AM
If you go to the doctor they will give you the required prescription for your severity of allergies.

CompletelyNumb
07-11-2011, 03:44 AM
How old are your mattress and pillows? You say it's worse when you sleep, many people are allergic to dust mites...the symptoms are exactly what you have.

I take up to 8 benadryl a day during harvest time. It's not fun.

But windows closed + air purifier + hardwood floors helped me a lot.

Abeo
07-11-2011, 07:22 AM
If you are worried, go see your doctor to see an allergist. They do a test where they prick your arm with a bunch of irritants, and see what you react to (dust mites, pollen, etc). The wheezing and cough makes me think you may have asthma... I would look further into that. I know a bunch of people who have asthma and the only time they show any symptoms is during allergy season.

For what its worth, I noticed in the past few days that my allergies have been bad, and this morning I woke up with a wheeze from my allergy-related asthma. If it gets any worse I'll take a reactin (I find clairitin doesn't work well for me). Was going nuts yesterday when cutting the lawn.

As for the cat, as you live with a cat for a while you end up 'getting used' to the allergens (allergies don't go away, but are less severe). You could be fine with your cat but react to a cat at someone elses house.

AE92_TreunoSC
07-11-2011, 07:35 AM
I'm hit pretty hard right now. Odd after a rain.

I have a new pillow and fresh sheets and I'm dying lol.

All of july I suffer, even with antihistamines.

blitz
07-11-2011, 07:40 AM
Originally posted by CompletelyNumb
How old are your mattress and pillows? You say it's worse when you sleep, many people are allergic to dust mites...the symptoms are exactly what you have.

8 benadrul a day? One of those knocks me out.

SJW
07-11-2011, 08:30 AM
Allegra D boys. You'll need no other.

Make sure it's the D.

E90_330xi
07-11-2011, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by Squishy
If you go to the doctor they will give you the required prescription for your severity of allergies.

This.

I got a prescription for Reactine that's 1.5x the strength of the over the counter stuff and the allergies haven't been too bad.

My eyes usually get pretty bad and have used Visine for allergies which helps too

colinxx235
07-11-2011, 09:06 AM
I take one Reactine Extra Strength 24 Hours almost every day, I try to skip a pill if I'm feeling well (don't like being dependant). I find they work very very well for everything from animals/grass/smoke/food.

mr2mike
07-11-2011, 09:11 AM
Probably won't help as you're already into the worst of it but, I used to have bad allergies that came on when I was around 14 after a trip to Europe.
Used to use heavy meds and now can almost go without. A homeopathic doctor told me (and I didn't believe him at the time) that it was what you eat and this lowers your ability to control the allergies. If I am careful as to what I eat and eat healthy, I can reduce the outbreak. But once you're into allergy season, you're hooped.

I avoid dairy products, which seemed to help. Drink water to help keep your body flushing things out.

It could also be that I'm not exposed to whatever first set me off over in Europe and I've slowly gotten back to how I used to be.

When it used to be really bad, I went to Dr and got Flo-nase. Which worked well.

Also, a no brainer, sleep with your windows closed.
It sucks, I feel for you.

jdmXSI
07-11-2011, 09:41 AM
Instead of perscriptions and drugs, try looking at a more natural route to help prevent them in the first place. I personally use to have real bad allergies and in conjucntion with asthma, was quite bad. This year (by total fluke) i started taking apple cider vinegar to help with a sinus infection(recomended by a Dr.) and have been taking it since because my allergies are barely noticable now.

http://www.earthclinic.com/Remedies/acvinegar.html

http://altmedicine.about.com/od/applecidervinegardiet/a/applecidervineg.htm

z24_wheels
07-11-2011, 09:53 AM
I used to take medication (Allegra, etc), but now I use a neti pot. I rinse my sinuses once per day with this thing and I have only mild symptoms that I can live with.

Davetronz
07-11-2011, 09:56 AM
Mine has been pretty bad for the last few weeks too. Definitely that time of the year. For me they always act up a few weeks before Stampede and last for a few weeks after. I usually just suffer through it.

Abeo
07-11-2011, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by z24_wheels
I used to take medication (Allegra, etc), but now I use a neti pot. I rinse my sinuses once per day with this thing and I have only mild symptoms that I can live with.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/85644/neti-pot-o.gif

Something disconcerting about that...

88CRX
07-11-2011, 10:01 AM
It must be really bad this year because I’ve never had allergies in my life..... until about 2 weeks ago. I’ve been coughing non-stop since. No runny nose, not stuffed up or anything just coughing. Doctor gave me some meds but they don’t seem to do anything. Been using a sinus rinse and lots of cough medicine which seem to help at times.

ExtraSlow
07-11-2011, 10:18 AM
I don't find the neti pot effective for these allergies. However, I do use it for colds and it's gold for that. It is disconcerting.

For my allergies, I'm running a stack of once a day Reactine, plus the "dual action 12 hour" areius. That's been working well. Obviously, that's not Doctor reccomended. Please don't take anything you read on the internet as medical advice.

I find Benedryl to be very effective, but it makes me feel really sleepy, so i can't use it daily. Tylenol Allergy can work, but I don't want he acetominephen during stampede, when my liver is working hard enough.

Once stampede is over and I'm not spending as much time near Hay bales and livestock, I will go back down to just the once-a-day reactine.

AndyL
07-11-2011, 11:51 AM
You can probably figure it out by what's gone pollen laden around your place right now...

I suffered through the poplars and lilacs over the past 2 weeks... Last night was really bad - only thing I see around with pollen right now is the pine trees out front (spruce's have been done for a while).

Not much you can do - I brought out the big airfilter (uv/o3/ion/hepa) cranked it up... But in the grand scheme of things, it's hardly relief, you'll have to figure out what meds work best for you; everyone reacts differently but if you've got family who suffers - check with them, they're a good starting point for what works/doesn't.

Fuck I miss seldane... Finished off my stockpile last year... Wonder if I can get it in mexico...

revelations
07-11-2011, 12:42 PM

This

Because I drool like a drunken sailor at night (mouthguard) I covered my pillows with an antibacterial water proof case. Keeps the pillows from turning to mold factories.

wintonyk
07-11-2011, 01:25 PM
I used to have this problem when living in nova scotia. Nasonex was a saviour. Reactine/Actifed did the trick sometimes but was a pain. Flo-nase does the same thing.

Tomaz
07-11-2011, 02:45 PM
I am with you Cos. You are not alone!

I was admitted to hospital last week having a very difficult time breathing, eyes swollen shut, itchy throat, ect, ect... Anyway, short of taking steroids, you are pretty much stuck with what you can find on the self.

I have tried every drug on the shelf that I could. Nothing have ever worked well enough for me. However my doctor was able to give me some combinations of drugs that have helped me over the past few days, and they are daytime friendly! :thumbsup:

Reactine Allergy Extra Strength - 10mg pills (Doctor-prescribed stuff comes in 20mg, so just take 2/day with lots of water)

And you take it with:

Ranitidine (Zantac) - 150mg (commonly used as an antacid, but is prescribed as a antihistamine)

I was also given a Ventolin inhaler (the blue puffer) as an emergency backup if the allergic reactions trigger asthmatic symptoms again.

I would suggest that if you have exhausted all meds and nothing works, try this little combo until you can go see a doc.

Cos
07-11-2011, 05:31 PM
I dont meant to skip over everyone but I want to address some of these particular points. Thank you all for your input.

The mattress is about 4 or 5 years old. I actually just did the sheets yesterday because I noticed it last night. Pillows are either the same age or a little newer (cant remember). Only reason I dont think it is the mattress and pillows specifically is that I dont have it all the time at night. Just certain times of the year.

Originally posted by Abeo

For what its worth, I noticed in the past few days that my allergies have been bad, and this morning I woke up with a wheeze from my allergy-related asthma. If it gets any worse I'll take a reactin (I find clairitin doesn't work well for me). Was going nuts yesterday when cutting the lawn.

As for the cat, as you live with a cat for a while you end up 'getting used' to the allergens (allergies don't go away, but are less severe). You could be fine with your cat but react to a cat at someone elses house.

See I had asthma growing up (they used to make me take a liquid that I had to take 30 minutes before physical activity). I was wondering about the asthma but I work out 3 times a week at fairly high cardio and it doesnt seem to affect me. Is yours only really triggered by allergies?

Originally posted by SJW
Allegra D boys. You'll need no other.

Make sure it's the D.

On the shopping list for the wife. Thanks!

Originally posted by colinxx235
I take one Reactine Extra Strength 24 Hours almost every day, I try to skip a pill if I'm feeling well (don't like being dependant). I find they work very very well for everything from animals/grass/smoke/food.

I am worried about taking allergy medicine every day so I usually wait until I am almost in tears before I take one.

Originally posted by mr2mike
Probably won't help as you're already into the worst of it but, I used to have bad allergies that came on when I was around 14 after a trip to Europe.
Used to use heavy meds and now can almost go without. A homeopathic doctor told me (and I didn't believe him at the time) that it was what you eat and this lowers your ability to control the allergies. If I am careful as to what I eat and eat healthy, I can reduce the outbreak. But once you're into allergy season, you're hooped.

I avoid dairy products, which seemed to help. Drink water to help keep your body flushing things out.

It could also be that I'm not exposed to whatever first set me off over in Europe and I've slowly gotten back to how I used to be.

When it used to be really bad, I went to Dr and got Flo-nase. Which worked well.

Also, a no brainer, sleep with your windows closed.
It sucks, I feel for you.

I like this idea. I just came back from a week in the bush with some friends for my Stag. As you can imagine I didnt eat or drink particularly healthy. I didnt smoke but I had a cigar and sat around a fire for 4 days. I have noticed once other in the past that I get the same sort of closed throat feeling if I smoke cigars. Maybe has something to do with it.

I also notice I can smell someone smoking in their car about 4 or 5 car lengths away. It actually makes me sick. I think by smoking I made myself sensitive to it.

Originally posted by jdmXSI
Instead of perscriptions and drugs, try looking at a more natural route to help prevent them in the first place. I personally use to have real bad allergies and in conjucntion with asthma, was quite bad. This year (by total fluke) i started taking apple cider vinegar to help with a sinus infection(recomended by a Dr.) and have been taking it since because my allergies are barely noticable now.

http://www.earthclinic.com/Remedies/acvinegar.html

http://altmedicine.about.com/od/applecidervinegardiet/a/applecidervineg.htm

Also on the shopping list for the wife. I didnt read your links yet but do you just take a shot of it? How does it taste? (being vinegar!)

Originally posted by z24_wheels

I have been fascinated by those but was always worried I couldnt get up the courage to do it. Lol

Originally posted by Davetronz
Mine has been pretty bad for the last few weeks too. Definitely that time of the year. For me they always act up a few weeks before Stampede and last for a few weeks after. I usually just suffer through it.

I usually do too dave but something about this year.

Originally posted by Tomaz
I am with you Cos. You are not alone!

I was admitted to hospital last week having a very difficult time breathing, eyes swollen shut, itchy throat, ect, ect... Anyway, short of taking steroids, you are pretty much stuck with what you can find on the self.

I have tried every drug on the shelf that I could. Nothing have ever worked well enough for me. However my doctor was able to give me some combinations of drugs that have helped me over the past few days, and they are daytime friendly! :thumbsup:

Reactine Allergy Extra Strength - 10mg pills (Doctor-prescribed stuff comes in 20mg, so just take 2/day with lots of water)

And you take it with:

Ranitidine (Zantac) - 150mg (commonly used as an antacid, but is prescribed as a antihistamine)

I was also given a Ventolin inhaler (the blue puffer) as an emergency backup if the allergic reactions trigger asthmatic symptoms again.

I would suggest that if you have exhausted all meds and nothing works, try this little combo until you can go see a doc.

I think I may need to get a blue inhaler again. :(

CompletelyNumb
07-11-2011, 06:41 PM
A salbutamol inhaler is handy to keep around if you've ever had asthma (I have one too).

jdmsource
07-11-2011, 06:47 PM
Definately try the Neti Pot thing, my allergies have always been brutal and like everyone else i had tried everything and nothing helped. i have been trying to do the rinse daily and at first i thought it was making my symptoms worse lol but after a few days i really noticed a big difference, so maybe give that a try OP:thumbsup:

while on the topic of allergies, another thing that i get along with my allergies is a super dry nose to the point it hurts to even touch my nose, again i have tried all the saline sprays and nostril lubricants but nothing helps, any suggestions?:banghead:

Abeo
07-11-2011, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by Cos
See I had asthma growing up (they used to make me take a liquid that I had to take 30 minutes before physical activity). I was wondering about the asthma but I work out 3 times a week at fairly high cardio and it doesnt seem to affect me. Is yours only really triggered by allergies?

Pretty much yes. My exercise-induced asthma got better as I got older, but my allergy-induced asthma stayed the same... I can build my cardio up an have no asthma from exercise and still be wheezy and coughing from allergies. Moving from Ottawa to Calgary made a huge impact on my asthma and allergies, before I wouldn't be able to sleep at night without waking multiple times to get doses from my inhaler (shallow cough, wheezing, need to sit upright). Now I lose my inhaler for weeks without noticing :nut:

<snip>

I think I may need to get a blue inhaler again. :(

Yeah, it should help with the wheezing/coughing, and its good to have one in case you actually get an attack... but having a good antihistamine should be your first step. Actually, consulting a non-internet doctor should be your first step :thumbsup:

jdmXSI
07-11-2011, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by Cos

Also on the shopping list for the wife. I didnt read your links yet but do you just take a shot of it? How does it taste? (being vinegar!)

At the end of the day it is acid and can do harm to enamel on teeth if it sits too long and from what I read, it's best to dilute 2 table spoons of apple cider vinegar with water. Plus that way it's less likely to irritate your stomach. As for taste, it just kind of tastes like diluted vinegar. And make sure that you get the unpasturized ACV. I think I paid $6-7 for braggs and it's at most health food stores.

Good luck and I hope it works for you as it did for me.

J-D
07-11-2011, 10:01 PM
My allergies are brutal this year out of nowhere. I've never had them before :banghead:

Cos
07-12-2011, 05:36 AM

ianmcc
07-12-2011, 06:14 AM
I too suffer from allergies and this year has been particularly bad. I take Reactine for the itchy eyes and I stole my wife's salbutamol inhaler since I can't breathe! It's the only thing that helps.

BokCh0y
07-12-2011, 06:50 AM
i suffer from hard core allergies too, especially starting june usually. i am using 1pill of reactine extra strength everyday, when things are bad my doctor said i can double the dosage, which essentially is the same as th prescription level from what i am told. only issue with that, is it makes me so drowsy then i usually pass out. i am also on a nasal spray - specifically flonase. i only have to use this for 3 months out of the year, june, july and august. flonase has cut down my allergies bigtime, and i use it in conjunction with reactine as well.

seriously, try flonase though.

Cos
07-12-2011, 08:33 AM
Well all booked in to see my GP tomorrow afternoon. Going to get a refill on my inhaler and check out that what I am experiencing is actually allergies and not some stupid respiratory cold...

mr2mike
07-12-2011, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by jdmXSI
This year (by total fluke) i started taking apple cider vinegar to help with a sinus infection(recomended by a Dr.) and have been taking it since because my allergies are barely noticable now.

Apple Cider Vinegar is pretty rancid, if the OP goes to try it. But if it works out then its worth it.

I wouldn't expect a change for this year but you never know. It usually takes awhile for this stuff to start working. An idea is to start taking it maybe in Jan or Feb and get your body built up to deal with allergies.

Orbie
07-12-2011, 10:34 AM
If it comes down to it you can always try immunization therapy, but you will need to see an allergist for that. Really if your symptoms are really bad and you don't know what might be causing it, you should see one anyways.

Myrrinda
07-12-2011, 01:46 PM
My allergies have been terrible this year. Almost like a permanent cold. I was down in Vegas for 4 days and felt fabulous, came back and feel like crap again. It's definitely worse when it's damp out, and for me it's also been affecting my sleep. I tried using my Neti Pot last night, which helps for the stuffy nose, but not the watery, itchy eyes. Reactine, which normally works miracles, hasn't been helping me at all this year. My mom has been suffering from allergies this year as well for the first time in her life. I'm so miserable I actually want it to be winter just so I can feel better!

z24_wheels
07-12-2011, 01:46 PM
re: neti pot. You can buy a "neti bottle" instead of the pot that works a lot better (squeeze rather than pour). Don't worry about working up the courage it is super easy. Relax, breathe with your mouth, and fire that shit through!

I work up today with a super itchy throat and a tickle in my ears (along with the typical runny nose and puffy eyes). One rinse in the shower and I am good to go.

hamburgler
07-12-2011, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by Cos
Well all booked in to see my GP tomorrow afternoon. Going to get a refill on my inhaler and check out that what I am experiencing is actually allergies and not some stupid respiratory cold...

I suffer all summer. Every year it gets worse - right now it's completely controlling my life :(

I had an appointment with my GP last week and hes got me on Claritin extra strength, apo-fluticasone nasal spray, and prednisone 50 mg tablet for a few more days. I also keep all my windows shut and try to stay in an air conditioned place. I never drive around with my windows down anymore. I also bought a Bionaire air purifier for $200 at Walmart. So between all of this I have felt awsome the last few days, but once the meds run out I will be curious to know how much difference the air purifier made.

I have also been using the Neti Pot 3 times per day for the last week. It's pretty cheap for what you get. Keep us posted.

Abeo
07-13-2011, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by hamburgler

I suffer all summer. Every year it gets worse - right now it's completely controlling my life :(

I had an appointment with my GP last week and hes got me on Claritin extra strength, apo-fluticasone nasal spray, and prednisone 50 mg tablet for a few more days. I also keep all my windows shut and try to stay in an air conditioned place. I never drive around with my windows down anymore. I also bought a Bionaire air purifier for $200 at Walmart. So between all of this I have felt awsome the last few days, but once the meds run out I will be curious to know how much difference the air purifier made.

I have also been using the Neti Pot 3 times per day for the last week. It's pretty cheap for what you get. Keep us posted.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

That stuff is a blessing and a curse rolled into one. Careful with it, and don't stay on it any longer than necessary.

Cos
07-13-2011, 04:55 PM
I saw my doctor today. He wasn’t very happy with me. I guess I had less than 25% lung capacity left because of my allergies and my asthma. He can’t check if I have bronchitis and is worried that I either have it now or could develop it. I was told to try and get a good night’s sleep (which I haven’t in about a week) and I need to relax. Once my asthma medication starts to kick in he will be able to tell what is allergy/asthma related and what is, or could be, a developing bacterial infection.

I was given two blue Salbutamol inhalers, a pink Adavair inhaler, a bottle of nasonex for my allergies, and an emergency prescription for the 'last resort' asthma medication before you have to go to the hospital. He told me not to worry about it yet but if the Adavair doesnt help (which is already has though) then I need to go and get it. He also booked me in for a pulmonary technician exam where I can learn about my lung functionality and such. I checked my temperature and I am at a cool 96.5 so I shouldn't be getting sick.

He put the fear of god in me. I had a nap this afternoon and I worried that I had a foreshadow of how I am going to die. :cry: Oh well I feel 50% better already though after taking a few hits of my Salbutamol and one of Adavair. Here's to a speedy recovery. Your health is a scary thing. :(