PDA

View Full Version : brother crashed my truck. who pays for it?

master hec0
07-11-2011, 11:09 PM
today I let my brother borrow my truck and he made a unsafe turn and got hit by a civic it was 100% his fault.
does anybody know if my insurance rates/ insurance record be blemished by his poor judgement? or would his insurance company cover him for driving borrowed vehicles? or at least to the vehicle he crossed into. or is it 100% my "fault"?

rage2
07-11-2011, 11:10 PM
Insurance follows the vehicle, not the driver. Prepare for rate hikes!

Same thing happened to me.

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/192927/thanks-to-my-brother-rip-e55/

On the bright side, he never stole my car again. At least, not that I know of... :rofl:

chkolny541
07-12-2011, 01:43 AM
^^nailed it

Masked Bandit
07-12-2011, 07:34 AM
OP, you're stuck with the claim on your policy UNLESS he agrees to buy his insurance from your broker and your broker puts his policy with the same carrier as you. I do this for clients all the time. As long as your insurance company can get their pound of flesh out of him they will leave you alone. However if at any point he stops insuring with them then the claim will default back to you.

sputnik
07-12-2011, 08:13 AM
Originally posted by rage2
Insurance follows the vehicle, not the driver. Prepare for rate hikes!

More specifically... it follows the policy holder of the vehicle.

You can't make the problem go away by getting rid of the vehicle.

master hec0
07-12-2011, 10:13 AM
thanks for the info thats what i feared.

Tik-Tok
07-12-2011, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by master hec0
thanks for the info thats what i feared.

Find out how much the damage is, and see if it's low enough that your brother can pay the insurance company for the bill. I don't think your rates will go up, if he does that.

(At least it didn't when asked same with ICBC when I was 18)

rage2
07-12-2011, 10:23 AM
Considering there's 2 cars involved, it's probably cheaper for him to pay the insurance hike for the duration of the hike.

master hec0
07-12-2011, 10:31 AM
so for him to pay the insurance hike for the duration of the hike does that mean he would just pay me the deference or actually pay the insurance company so that i dont see the hike on my bill. the damage is probably around the 6-8k mark

Tik-Tok
07-12-2011, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by master hec0
so for him to pay the insurance hike for the duration of the hike does that mean he would just pay me the deference or actually pay the insurance company so that i dont see the hike on my bill. the damage is probably around the 6-8k mark

He'd have to pay you.

trieuth
07-12-2011, 10:38 AM
Actually he's responsible. As of march 1st liability laws in Alberta changed. The liability is now on the driver. No longer the vehicle. You might be responsible for your car. But he is responsible for any third party damage.

rage2
07-12-2011, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by trieuth
Actually he's responsible. As of march 1st liability laws in Alberta changed. The liability is now on the driver. No longer the vehicle. You might be responsible for your car. But he is responsible for any third party damage.
Reference? I've *never* heard of this at all.

edit - is this it? If so that doesn't cover this situation at all. I think it's there to cover up to $1M if the renter or leaser doesn't have insurance.

http://southernalberta.rims.org/RIMS/SouthernAlberta/UploadedImages/Maurice%20Law.pdf

Tik-Tok
07-12-2011, 10:42 AM

If you google it, what you're referencing actually has to do with leasing/rental cars. Not private owned cars loaned out.

KandabashiDevil
07-12-2011, 10:43 AM

I'm 100% positive this information is false.

I would know. I wrote off my Sister's car in March.

colinxx235
07-12-2011, 10:44 AM
I was not aware of this. Too many insurance technicalities.

But essentially if someone drives your vehicle who is not personally insured under their own, it is no difference to someone who is...?

guessboi
07-12-2011, 10:45 AM
Just to help everyone and summarize the main points here.

* Claim follows the vehicle that involved in the accident
* Conviction follows the driver.

* Unless the claim is charged elsewhere, the claim will be charged on the policyholder 's rnwl

Masked Bandit
07-12-2011, 10:48 AM

lol...nope.

guessboi
07-12-2011, 10:58 AM
^ + 1. :D