PDA

View Full Version : The Neighborly Dynamics of Calgary

TheRealTimHorton
07-12-2011, 08:29 AM
I was just thinking about this after reading another thread and thought it would make another interesting poll for a demographic on more Beyond locals.

Basically, it seems universal here that most people who live in Calgary do not act the same way towards their neighbors as you would in other cities. I would like to see how this stacks up in reality.

What is your relationship with a neighbor?

*Edit.. Upstairs or downstairs tenants count as well.

Idiot Stick
07-12-2011, 08:48 AM
I was about to vote, but then realized it would mess up the polls because I don't live in Calgary.

Out here on the east coast, I am good with both neighbors, we chit chat and our dogs play with each other so we tend to talk, help out with projects, and borrow/lend each others stuff (Snowblower for example)

I like my neighbors.

hampstor
07-12-2011, 08:56 AM
We live in a cul-de-sac and am friends with most of the people in our cul-de-sac. Most of us are close to the same age (between 30-35) and have young children about the same age.

The guys have done beers outside in the cul-de-sac sitting on the power box (king of the hill style!), gone out for beer/wings, hockey games, have fires in the backyard, etc. The women and kids do play-dates at each other's homes, go to play group together, the zoo, mall, etc.

I couldn't ask for better neighbours. We've been talking about doing a cul-de-sac stampede party, but we all suck at planning it. :rofl:

Edit: I'm in Kincora. We do have 1 person in the cul-de-sac that's a raging bitch that no one likes.

Cos
07-12-2011, 09:07 AM
Depends which way and who. If you are a douche neighbour we don’t really talk to you. I have a couple friends in our cul-de-sac that live a few places over. Another lives across the street. My one neighbour is new but seems okay, have spoken to him for about 20 minutes. Guy on the other side and I don’t really get along. We say hi and he seems nice enough but when we first moved in he was a bit of a dick and they party until 1 or 2 in the morning on Sunday and Monday nights. Like I said not a particularly bad guy but not my kind of guy to hang out with.

Troll-ol
07-12-2011, 09:09 AM
We all get along fine, but some of them snitch about my car being too loud :rolleyes:

n1zm0
07-12-2011, 09:12 AM
I would've picked

"I hate those c*ck suckers always in my f**king parking spot or playing obnoxiously loud music."

if this poll was about 1 month ago, but since they've found out i'm the vp of the condo board, either side has since STFU literally just an hour after we delivered the contact list to every house.

i'm the only home owner out of 11 units stuck between the only 2 renters in our whole complex, it's amazing that being a renter once i now look down on them just watching how they don't give a fk about anything, garbage/yard cleanliness etc, you may not own your townhouse but you sure as fk don't have to live like a gdamned pig in shit hoarding bbq stands with playsand in them, well one side i understand when the whole family looks like the mutant inbreds from the hills have eyes.

edit: so i'll pick "We hate them but they still haven't got the hint and we don't act friendly to them"

in Braeside/Cedarbrae, land of 16 y/o hooligans/vandals and obnoxious fart can straight pipe first cars, side note: buddy with the 200sx with an SR or w/e and Beyond sticker, you're not helping the community with your SSQV showboating, everyone and their mother owns one if you didnt notice...

ZMan2k2
07-12-2011, 09:13 AM
Well, I'm related to neighbours on one side, since I rent out to them, so I'm not counting them. On the other side, my neighbour and I get along great. We hang out, talk and help each other with projects and general yard maintenance. My wife and I always say to each other that if the world had more neighbours like him, this would be a much better place.

Chandler_Racing
07-12-2011, 09:16 AM
I have neighbours on two different ends of the spectrum.

One guy is super nice, he put up a fence between our houses, nice rocks down the side, and even though I have asked him several times about splitting the costs - he has not even bothed to add it up or request anything. We always chat when we see each other. Might just buy him a few 24 cases of beer as I do not think he wants any money.

The other neighbour is a cock. Has about 17 people that live in the house and his kids are a nightmare! Pretty common occurence for his kids to be playing with scissors in their months and have the ambulance over shortly after. Not to mention that 4 taxis that they always park on the street and 1 ama instrcutor vehicle, in addition to the 2 cars parked in their garage and 1 on their pad.

Civic_Drift
07-12-2011, 09:31 AM
I like my neighbours, we all look out for each other and help each other out. One neighbour helped us fix our garage door once. Another neighbour is very considerate because they had a BBQ two weeks ago and informed us beforehand & to tell them if they are being disruptive. Heck, they even offered us some BBQ too.

lilmira
07-12-2011, 09:31 AM
I live in a cul-de-sac too. There were a few renter homes at the beginning, one was next to mine and they weren't very well taken care of. The owner of these houses had financial problem, surprise surprise, at least the house next to mine was sold as a result. Lucky me the new owner is a lot better. Now all the houses in my block are well maintained, at least on the outside.

I know a couple neighbors by name. A few others have been introduced. I dont remember their names anymore but we wave and say hi whenever we see each other.

I like the people in the hood, they are very friendly in general. When we had the bad snow storm, we all helped each other to get the cars out.

I'm in Royal Oak.

Cos
07-12-2011, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by n1zm0
I would've picked

"I hate those c*ck suckers always in my f**king parking spot or playing obnoxiously loud music."

if this poll was about 1 month ago, but since they've found out i'm the vp of the condo board, either side has since STFU literally just an hour after we delivered the contact list to every house.

i'm the only home owner out of 11 units stuck between the only 2 renters in our whole complex, it's amazing that being a renter once i now look down on them just watching how they don't give a fk about anything, garbage/yard cleanliness etc, you may not own your townhouse but you sure as fk don't have to live like a gdamned pig in shit hoarding bbq stands with playsand in them, well one side i understand when the whole family looks like the mutant inbreds from the hills have eyes.

edit: so i'll pick "We hate them but they still haven't got the hint and we don't act friendly to them"

Lol sounds like you and I should be neighbours in my townhouse complex haha. We just forcibly got a guy kicked out of our complex because he caused 10/15k of damage to the OUTSIDE of his townhouse (cant park a diesel truck on grass I guess :facepalm: ), was fixing cars in his garage at 2 or 3 in the morning and had 5 or 6 vehicles parked all over in VP that he was supposed to be working on (no passes either).

The unfortunate thing about my complex is probably 40/50% are renters but a lot of them are pretty good. We are fine happy for that reason though.

R-Audi
07-12-2011, 09:39 AM
Along with everyones post they should add in their neighbourhood... I find this varies greatly with each area.

I recently moved into Windsor Park and was shocked how friendly everyone was.. One neighbour even dropped by with muffins! It really helps that all dog owners chat in the park down the street as well.
I found it to be completely opposite from our old house in Parkhill, I knew the neighbours but only on a small talk basis.

G-ZUS
07-12-2011, 09:39 AM
Got a brown guy next door whos guts I can not stand! No courtesy with parking, cuts his front grass once a month, back yard grass? forget it. house looks really run down and is the only one on our street like that. We all hate him. other neighbours are all good with each other, say hi bla bla bla

Cos
07-12-2011, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by R-Audi
Along with everyones post they should add in their neighbourhood... I find this varies greatly with each area.

Townhouse complex in Coventry Hills

baygirl
07-12-2011, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by R-Audi

I recently moved into Windsor Park and was shocked how friendly everyone was.. One neighbour even dropped by with muffins! It really helps that all dog owners chat in the park down the street as well.
I found it to be completely opposite from our old house in Parkhill, I knew the neighbours but only on a small talk basis.
I also live in Windsor Park and find the same thing. I get along great with the neighbors on both sides(would prefer if the overweight lady in her 50's would stop walking around her backyard in a bikini but can't have it all I guess), even take turns shovelling sidewalks in the winter. If you run into anyone on the sidewalk they'll usually smile and say hi. Downstairs neighbor can be an ass, but he is my ex and daughter's father so I put up with it lol.

Tik-Tok
07-12-2011, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by hampstor
We live in a cul-de-sac and am friends with most of the people in our cul-de-sac. Most of us are close to the same age (between 30-35) and have young children about the same age.

The guys have done beers outside in the cul-de-sac sitting on the power box (king of the hill style!), gone out for beer/wings, hockey games, have fires in the backyard, etc. The women and kids do play-dates at each other's homes, go to play group together, the zoo, mall, etc.

I couldn't ask for better neighbours. We've been talking about doing a cul-de-sac stampede party, but we all suck at planning it. :rofl:

Is there an empty lot I can move my house onto? :(

I live in a cul-de-sac as well, 6/10 houses are the original owners from 1959. One is a Mormon rental (owner only rents out to missionaries). One is my in-laws. I get along and small talk whenever I see them, but since our garages are alleyway, I don't see them too often.

My direct neighbor to my left, is a really nice guy, with two very loud children, but I can't fault them, as they are just kids.

My other direct neighbor... well, I picked "We know we both hate eachother but are friendly to each other anyways." Guy is a complete fucking asshole, and no one in the cul-de-sac likes him. He's a 50 year old loser, who married the owners daughter, and is mooching off the family like nobodies business. He turned the sprinkler on my father-in-laws luggage, because he "parked in his spot" (temporarily, so he could unload his luggage). He cut branches off my tree's on MY side of the property line (to "save his grass"), he got my basement wet by putting his sprinkler close enough to my house, that the water got inside my open basement window... I could go on for awhile here.

edit: I'm in Fairview. (East of Mcleod, North of Heritage)

codetrap
07-12-2011, 09:55 AM
This thread makes me feel lucky. I finished working on the shared space between my neighbor and me for storing all our kids toys and my utility trailer etc, to walk into the garage and find a garage party going on with all the neighbors. They brought the beer. We all chipped in for pizza/wings, and then all got a little happy together.

It was a pretty typical Sunday night for all of us, though usually it's on a friday.

403Gemini
07-12-2011, 09:57 AM
I move Friday... hope my new neighbors are nice!

Tik-Tok
07-12-2011, 09:58 AM
Oh, and multiple choice would be nice, since people have more than one neighbor...

Abeo
07-12-2011, 10:04 AM
I've lived in 3 different neighborhoods in Calgary, and its been different in all:

Highland Park: great neighbors on one side (young couple with two young kids). Was awesome living next to them, looked after each other, talked over the fence, etc. Rest of the neighborhood was bottom of the barrel renters and Dustin Paxton.

Canyon Meadows: Every person I talked to on the street was friendly. Was close with both immediate neighbors, and would have people randomly say hi and talk while on walks and bike rides. Was a nice place to live... just too far from work.

Tuxedo Park: renting a place where the landlady does almost zero maintenance to the place, so the infill neighbors aren't impressed. Trying my best to make the place look nice (cut lawn, trim bushes that went out of control, etc), but the neighbors won't even make eye contact and beeline into their house. Made small talk with one neighbor, and that's it.

Being a renter is interesting... don't like your neighbors? Move!

masoncgy
07-12-2011, 10:11 AM
I lived in Sandstone for 6 years in a cul-de-sac with 15 houses other than my own. Out of those houses, I only ever did make actual contact with the owners of 7 of the houses and those people were all adjacent to me, either next door, two houses over or across the street.

There were a few that wouldn't even look at you. Snot bag assholes who thought they were someone special, which they weren't.

The Asians always kept to themselves but they would at least wave or say hello.

When I moved, I was only the 3rd house to sell on the street in 6 years, it was all owner occupied, no renters.

I found that my neighbors became more friendly once my wife moved in... haha. When it was just me & the roomies, no one talked to us other than the biker dude next door (Christian biker dude, lol) and the jolly lady across the street, who still sends my wife cards in the mail.

JfuckinC
07-12-2011, 10:15 AM
I live out in chesty with my pops, and all our neighbours have young loud screaming kids. But i honestly could careless cause i know i was the same way :rofl:

Everyone is super friendly, garages are always open and people will always come over to shoot the shit. People park their trailers infront of eachothers houses, boats etc. No one really cares cause they know they wont stay long. I like our street and wish i could afford my own house on it haha.

There's just one house, and i dont think it's the occupants but their kids friends who drive way too fucking fast down our road. god that makes me mad. i feel like an old grandpa running down my drive way yelling at them.

ercchry
07-12-2011, 10:23 AM
the one side works as a stewardess, never see her cause she is never home, talked to her a couple times though... other side is an east coast family. pretty friendly, we shoot the shit when we run into each other in the driveway... couldnt care for the rest of the block... eastern europeans that let their kids run wild a few doors down, cocksuckers that cant drive and hit and ran my truck (im pretty sure) across the street... lots of kids, im sure if we had kids we would interact with more neighbors.

i remember growing up in sundance, pretty much all the neighbors were friends since they all had kids around the same age. lots of block parties, lots of group dinners... camping.

sillysod
07-12-2011, 10:27 AM
McKenzie Towne...

Neighbour on one side a little messy but really nice. I have no problem cleaning up after them.

Neighbour on the other side..... fffffffuuuuuu.... cookie monster death metal cranked, cigarette butts all over my property, fart can cars, on the street tranny swaps leaving oil everywhere and 8 cars at any given time parked in everybodys spots.

rage2
07-12-2011, 10:32 AM
All my neighbors think I'm a drug dealer, so they're super nice to me. Even my old next door neighbor, who's son was a huge car thief that got busted once a month, never touched any of my cars. :rofl:

But yea, I only really meet all the neighbors during block parties and poker nights. The family next to me were the only ones with no kids so we bonded from drinking and poker at the block parties, and the family across the street are car/bike guys who's come with me to track days. It's funny, I have to explain to every single new neighbor what I do everytime there's a block party. They used to not believe me, but one of the neighbors worked at Bell, and actually worked with me over the phone on one of the outages we suffered. After that, they finally believe that I'm not a drug dealer and I'm in IT lol.

I try to be friendly with all the neighbors, but really, during the day, it's all stay at home trophy moms that wander about and chat with each other trading recipes, so I have nothing in common with them.

Tomaz
07-12-2011, 10:49 AM
I have always had pretty good relations with my neighbors.

Castleridge - I live in a cul-de-sac with a retired English tank commander on one side, and a family of 6 taxi drivers on the other side. Both neighbors liked me and were very friendly. The East Indian family used to take me to cultural events and different restaurants/venues to teach me about their heritage (i am just a dumb white boy). The tank commander and his wife would always come over for BBQs and shoot the shit.

Woodbine - Lived in an apartment complex with a high school buddy, who is also a beyond member. We never really had any big problems with the neighbors. The guy beside us had really loud sex which he tried to cover up with even louder music (only happened once...lol). If anything, we were "those guys" that were complained about. The guy below us would always come up to let us know when we were too loud, but the complaints stopped after we figured out each others schedules.

Acreage - I only have one neighbor within a 1km radius which we get along just fine. Mind you, my family, and theirs have lived on the land for 24 years. We rely on each other for emergencies, snow removal, fighting against the MD or Rockyview. Sometimes the husband comes over to do a little shooting when he sees me out in the back. Hell, we bring them over for dinner some holidays! No issues with them.

ZMan2k2
07-12-2011, 10:55 AM
I should add that I live in Mountview, where there's a lot of rentals as well. I also live in a cul-de-sac as well. Most of the neighbours are fine, but there is one guy. He doesn't work, rents rooms out in his house to boarders. Mom and Dad work in oil and bought the house for him. There's always like 5-6 extra cars evenings and weekends, so I'm thankful that I have a driveway. But often the boarders park so close to my driveway that I can barely get in or out (single lane driveway, not for a double garage). There have been plenty of warnings for the renters and him, so now, pretty much everyone on the block, if they are being difficult, calls parking control on the renters.

For the most part, everyone's great though. They are building two infills on one side of my house, and the new owner is a nice guy, really easy to talk to. He'll fit in great around here.

Tik-Tok
07-12-2011, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by rage2

it's all stay at home trophy moms ..., so I have nothing in common with them.

Perhaps not verbally, but I'm sure you have something they could use :rofl:

Tomaz
07-12-2011, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by sillysod
McKenzie Towne...

Neighbour on one side a little messy but really nice. I have no problem cleaning up after them.

Neighbour on the other side..... fffffffuuuuuu.... cookie monster death metal cranked, cigarette butts all over my property, fart can cars, on the street tranny swaps leaving oil everywhere and 8 cars at any given time parked in everybodys spots.

You don't happen to live near the apartments behind Lowes... do you?

dandia89
07-12-2011, 11:27 AM
i've lived in two houses in canyon meadows. at my first house, neighbours were amazing. second, one of the neighbours is awesome, other one we don't talk to so much.. i guess we just don't see them enough to have a conversation

Hamann
07-12-2011, 11:35 AM
First Rented in Beddington, people were pretty good, got along with all the neighbor's except one, crazy old lady.

Moved to Thorncliff, got along with both neighbors, the guy who rented the upstairs suite hated my room mate though, probably something to do with him stealing the guys jeans out of the dryer :facepalm:

Coventry Hills, didn't really talk to any neighbors but the FOB asian family across the street was awesome. My dog ran over to see the little kids that were playing in the yard, the one got scared and his grandpa ripped him a new one for being a little bitch :rofl:

Bought a House out in Airdrie 4 months ago, so far we seem to be quite lucky with neighbors, one side is a young family with 2 little girls, we talk to them when we see them. The little girls love playing with our dog, and they take great care of their house and lawn. Buddy on the other side doesn't seem to be around alot (or atleast we hardly see him) was alittle worried when he wasn't taking care of his lawn (cutting + weeding) but he's been doing it lately so I'm guessing he was just to busy.

signal_11
07-12-2011, 12:06 PM
I need an "all of the above" choice. :D It varies with our neighbors. Some of them are great and we hang out in various degrees, even if it's just an "alley beer", others are troublemakers for the rest of us, some don't talk at all, others only talk to us when I have my 50s car out.

nismodrifter
07-12-2011, 12:08 PM
Asian lady next door = fucking bitch. Have never spoken to her. She gives us the evil eye everytime we drive by. Stupid whore.

Indian dood next door = cool guy. Kids are like 15'ish and are into all the DIY shit I do with the cars. The son usually snowblows our driveway in the winter time when me + my brother are out of town. Kid even helped me detint my car because he wanted to learn something haha. Very decent people.

Sugarphreak
07-12-2011, 12:29 PM

legendboy
07-12-2011, 12:48 PM
i am lucky

i love my neighbours, were all friends, kids all play together

we go camping with our neighbours and its like king of the hill in the summer time in our alley

we also have wicked block parties

~ hidden valley

sillysod
07-12-2011, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by Tomaz

You don't happen to live near the apartments behind Lowes... do you?

Nope house in Elgin.

topmade
07-12-2011, 12:54 PM
Old neighbor was a porn addict who downloaded porn 24/7 and would ask me all the time to help him fix his pc because of viruses. If STD's could get into pc's, he would of been the first one infected. Had to be nice to the guy cause his kids were coincidentally the same age as mine and went to the same school and were friends....somewhat anyways. New neighbors now are great, one child who goes to the same school as ours so we help each other out quite a bit babysitting and stuff. Other neighbor is quiet but we do talk quite a bit sometimes and the wives talk about their garden and trade food. All around there isn't anyone really annoying around us so it's pretty good.

D'z Nutz
07-12-2011, 01:04 PM
I'm currently living in a downtown condo, but I rarely see my neighbors. When I have it was the occasional hello or a nod, but I make it a point to greet people when I meet them in the elevator. Maybe once the gym opens up I'll get to know more people around the building.

When I lived in Kincora, the neighbors were awesome. One of them even prevented a potential break-in of my car. He always talked about doing a cul-de-sac party though, but it never came to be. Man, that guy sucks at planning.

When I lived in Monterey, one of my next door neighbors were awesome too (the other never came out so I never got to know them). They were a big Lebanese family. I'm not too sure how many kids they had because there were always people coming and going. I didn't find out until we were about to move that another family in cul-de-sac was feuding with them cause they didn't like how there was so many cars in the neighborhood all the time from the big family parties they frequently held. In fact, on one of the days we were moving stuff out, they were throwing a big party for one of their daughters and we let their guests park on our driveway.

hampstor
07-12-2011, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz

When I lived in Kincora, the neighbors were awesome. One of them even prevented a potential break-in of my car. He always talked about doing a cul-de-sac party though, but it never came to be. Man, that guy sucks at planning.

I forgot to mention one of the neighbours has a backyard full of weeds :poosie:

D'z Nutz
07-12-2011, 01:11 PM

That's a very unfair stereotype about Jamaicans. Even if he is pretty laid back.

JRSC00LUDE
07-12-2011, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by rage2
I try to be friendly with all the neighbors, but really, during the day, it's all stay at home trophy moms that wander about and chat with each other trading recipes, so I have nothing in common with them.

Trophy moms hey? I can think of something you could have in common with a few of them if you wanted to.... :nut:

frozenrice
07-12-2011, 01:19 PM
I live in a neighborhood where the company I used to work for built almost all of the houses on the block. I also happened to work on most of the files for those houses so I indirectly got to know the neighbors before even seeing them. Needless to say I avoided most of them until after their warranty period was up.

Believe it or not (I've had co workers that have had this happen to), but if customers know you work for the builder, they'll show up at your door during dinner or on weekends asking when/if something is going to get done. :facepalm:

schocker
07-12-2011, 01:32 PM
I live in sage hill and live in a culdesac. I have met and chat once and awhile with my direct neighbors. As for others in the culdesac I have only met and talked with a few. I know there is a loud ep3 and lots of people leave the garages open all the time even when they are gone :dunno:

little'l
07-12-2011, 01:53 PM
Have been in the current house in Hidden Valley for about a year now. Have a couple with no kids on one side and three single guys on the other. The couple are pretty quiet, do their job, and live their own life. Met the husband when our houses were vandalized. The guys on the other side seem pretty normal and nice except they play loud music from time to time until midnight, which isn't too bad. One guy smokes and my wife doesn't like him smoking outside on their deck because she doesn't like the smell and things. I also know the guy across my back alley. He's running a landscaping company and has really nice yard. He's also very helpful on small projects that I do. We all say hi to each other.

gts_gurl
07-12-2011, 02:44 PM
I've been in Bonavista for 3 years now and most of our neighbours are families with teen kids/or older couples (were both mid 20's)

- get along great with both neighbours on either side of us, talking, helping one another out, beers, etc, so that's all good.

We do however have an older couple across the alley from us, who are just odd - they watch us like hawks - whether we're outside cleaning up the yard, in the garage or enjoying drinks on the patio, the wife just stands in her window with her hands on her hips and watches until we're done doing whatever it was we were doing. It's pretty creepy - even without us saying anything to our guests, they ALL end up commenting on it once they notice.

Other than the weirdo's, everyone I've seen or passed is pretty friendly :)

CMW403
07-12-2011, 02:54 PM
I live in bearspaw so the relationship between neighbours is a little bit different because the only time we really see eachother is when we're in our cars driving in and out of the driveway.

Usually just a friendly wave when passing each other in our cars, of course I go out of my way to stop and chat with the lovely MILF next door.... :D

dezmarez
07-12-2011, 02:55 PM
Just moved into a new house a few months ago in Evanston.

Don't really have any neighbors, no one has moved into the houses to our left, there arent any houses built behind us, and there are only 2 families moved in to our right but they are 3 lots away and I haven't seen them.

Back in Beddington our neighbors were great, had them over for dinner, helped put up the fence, came and played hockey. We do have one neighbor who is very shady, but even talking to him a couple times was very friendly.

DENZILDON
07-12-2011, 02:59 PM
I got lucky! Moved into my current house from a condo and my neighbors have been awesome! And just to add some sugar coatings, one neighbor is a hot single milf with a hot daughter, and the rest of my married neighbors have hot wives! :clap:

whiskas
07-12-2011, 03:20 PM
I have one neighbor, when we see each other we just say hi. But I think he hates me. Shortly after I moved in I was banging a really loud chick in my living room, and apparently we were loud enough someone came and knocked on our door. Had to have been him because we live in a secured building.

Never found out for sure who it was because we just laughed and kept porking.

ddduke
07-12-2011, 04:19 PM
Live in Altadore now and talk to almost all my neighbours. Pretty much every house on my block and the block next to mine is an infill so the couples are younger and relatively friendly. There's a few older couples that hate that everyone is "ruining the integrity" of the community so they hate everyone and just stare.

I'm on a corner lot so during the winter me and the other 3 corners always joke about how much it sucks living on a corner while shovelling the snow. I'm also always in my backyard/garage which actually faces the road instead of the driveways so I have a ton of traffic walk by me and shoot the shit about my truck or quads. It's a great neighbourhood and I don't plan on every leaving the area, maybe just upgrading to a larger home

Used to live in Aspen before this though. Hated it. Pretty much everyone is a stuck up cunt, don't even say hi when you walk by them on the street (i smile and say hi to everyone). Not a single person introduced themselves, while shovelling snow you don't have a conversation. Such a weird area.

ercchry
07-12-2011, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by ddduke

Used to live in Aspen before this though. Hated it. Pretty much everyone is a stuck up cunt, don't even say hi when you walk by them on the street (i smile and say hi to everyone). Not a single person introduced themselves, while shovelling snow you don't have a conversation. Such a weird area.

sounds like a shitty street, my buddy use to be up there and his street was awesome. one guy had a portable fire pit he would always light up in the driveway and they would have mini block parties around it... poker all the time, one guy made a mini "bobsleigh" course in the winter... great street

abyss
07-12-2011, 04:27 PM

Originally posted by D'z Nutz

That's a very unfair stereotype about Jamaicans. Even if he is pretty laid back.

bahaha! "cooooool runnings."

max_boost
07-12-2011, 04:35 PM
I live in an infill in Crescent Heights. Buddies with my neighbor, mainly because we are both into cars and our homes are identical. We run into each other frequently.

The other side is a 4plex with renters coming and going all the time so never bothered there.

That's it. I don't know anyone else. I don't think I have much else in common anyway. I just myob and do my own thing but always smile and say hi to anyone I run into in front of the property.

ddduke
07-12-2011, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by ercchry

sounds like a shitty street, my buddy use to be up there and his street was awesome. one guy had a portable fire pit he would always light up in the driveway and they would have mini block parties around it... poker all the time, one guy made a mini "bobsleigh" course in the winter... great street

Your buddy is lucky. I know it's not just my street. My company does a ton of work there and everyone in the area seems to think they're above everyone just because they overpaid for their cookie cutter houses and drive 3 series bimmers. The whole area is full of stuck up housewives that spend their entire days shopping and pretentious markets/stores/restuarants.

I used to go to the extreme pita or safeway for food in the evenings wearing shorts, flipflops and a beater/bball jersey and I swear it's like noone in that area has ever seen someone who's totally tatted up, soooooo many dirty looks.

Mar
07-12-2011, 09:05 PM
I would have quite a different vote if you were counting live-in next-door-bedroom type neighbours.

SKR
07-12-2011, 09:23 PM
I don't live in Calgary so I can't vote.

My place is 5 buildings with 8 suites each, mostly renters I think. I've been here for about a year and a half now. I don't know any of my neighbours. I don't talk to them. They don't talk to me. We don't make eye contact. We don't wave. As far as I can tell nobody interacts with anyone.

Any time I've tried to be friendly people look at me like I've got two heads. It's weird rolling into the parking lot at the same time as someone else, and just not even acknowledging that they're there.

I helped one woman boost her car once. And I pushed a guy's car out when he got stuck in the snow once. That's pretty much the extent of the interactions I've had with my neighbours.

It's fine with me but it just really seems bizarre that nobody talks to anyone ever.

Mibz
07-12-2011, 09:25 PM
Most of my neighbours are great. We chat whenever we see each other.

The ones behind me have kept to themselves, not once said hi or come to a meet. They built their own fence, put it inside their property line and didn't come asking for money for it. I don't mind, as long as they're not fucking with anybody they can do what they want.

D'z Nutz
07-12-2011, 09:30 PM
-7_uwFcI8JE

cet
07-13-2011, 07:45 AM

Your buddy is lucky. I know it's not just my street. My company does a ton of work there and everyone in the area seems to think they're above everyone just because they overpaid for their cookie cutter houses and drive 3 series bimmers. The whole area is full of stuck up housewives that spend their entire days shopping and pretentious markets/stores/restuarants.

I used to go to the extreme pita or safeway for food in the evenings wearing shorts, flipflops and a beater/bball jersey and I swear it's like noone in that area has ever seen someone who's totally tatted up, soooooo many dirty looks.

I'm in Aspen and my wife has noticed the same thing. When she is out taking our daughter for a walk she says it's very rare someone will say hi.

My neighbors to one side are good, friendly and we chat all the time. The ones on the other side are quiet but we chat when we see them. We don't really know anyone else.

Mibz
07-13-2011, 08:00 AM
The Jugo Juice in Aspen makes the best banana buzz in the city. It's just so hard to find parking in between 80 Range Rovers.

ddduke
07-13-2011, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by cet

I'm in Aspen and my wife has noticed the same thing. When she is out taking our daughter for a walk she says it's very rare someone will say hi.

It's so weird, I'd jog through the area or go run the stairs in montreux every few days and it was very rare for someone to say hello back when I'd go past them.

The weird thing is that our yard is out of Springbank and the neighbours there which all have 10+ acres and much nicer houses all know us, are super friendly, one of them has even stopped by a few times with a bottle to do some day drinking.

spikerS
07-13-2011, 12:34 PM
it's funny, now that I kicked my ex-wife out, all my neighbors love me. Friday and saturday nights, usually have 4 or 5 of them over on my front lawn drinking and shooting the shit while the kids play, and then once the kids are in bed, we are all usually playing poker. In the winter, we all shovel each other's front sidewalks (we leave the walk up to the house alone though), and I help them all out with light maintenance duties, like cleaning birds nests from exhaust vents, ect, and we all just charge beer for this.

I live in Taradale, and in this cul-de-sac, there is only 1 other white family here, rest are asian, flip, or EI, and for the most part, they are the best neighbors i have ever had.

ByTeMe
07-13-2011, 04:40 PM
Falconridge (NE)

My dynamics:

Me - "Hi, how are you?"

Neighbor - Gives me a weird look and carries on with what they were doing

Freekin' weird. :confused: :confused: :confused:

sillysod
07-13-2011, 10:10 PM

I grew up in Pump Hill and it was the same thing. We were the only people that didn't have landscapers come by to do the yard work and I used to get neighbours pull up to our house and ask what my rates were and if I would quote on doing their place while I was cutting the grass. :facepalm:

Hakkola
07-13-2011, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by sillysod

I grew up in Pump Hill and it was the same thing. We were the only people that didn't have landscapers come by to do the yard work and I used to get neighbours pull up to our house and ask what my rates were and if I would quote on doing their place while I was cutting the grass. :facepalm:

Hahaha, me too, I was never asked for a quote though. All the neighbours we had in Pumphill were really nice, even got to know some of the people across the street. There was one creepy guy though with really weird kids that kept to themselves. I even got to know people that lived like 6 houses down, one came up to me and asked for a ride to the hospital when she hit her head. Most of the people in the area are pretty nice.

Melinda
07-13-2011, 11:47 PM
Hard to pick one, we have very different neighbours on each side, but I picked "We have invited eachother over for coffee or tea."

The neighbours on one side are a little stand offish, but nice enough and have a little one 5 months older than ours. We make small talk, have split things like fence and landscaping, and our kids talk to each other from our decks, but I have a feeling since they'll eventually be in the same class, we'll be seeing more of them and getting to know them more in the coming years.

On the other side we have an absolutely amazing older couple. Couldn't ask for better neighbours. We chat whenever we see them, she loaded my son's candy bucket at halloween and then chansed us down the street with her camera to get pictures. We collected their mail for them when they were out of town and they brought us back a huge bag of fruit and we had free run of their garden when they were gone (at their insistance). When we had our daughter they came running out in the -20 temps just to peek into the car window and see her screaming away. He helps us do various projects around our house (and vice versa). I could go on and on. We haven't had them for tea or anything, but we'll definitely attempt a BBQ this year I think.

As for the rest of our neighbours, don't even get me started. Nice enough face to face, but I'd go with the "we're polite to one another even though we know we hate one another".