PDA

View Full Version : in a car accident, ambulance is used but no injury where bill goes?

winson2001
07-12-2011, 12:45 PM
story goes like this, wife got rear ended in front of my face( i was standing at corner of the street waiting for her to pick me up) she only have 3rd party insurance, shes 34 weeks into pregancy. At that point she said she is having difficulty breathing, so I called an ambulance. later find no injury, n we were able to drive ourselfs to the hospital after, where wife was monitored for 4 hours and came out fine.

Now question is where the ambulance bill goes? both insurance company says no injury = not their problem, I do have health benefit from work, so even if the bill goes to me, i prolly wont have to pay. but now my benefit company is asking me why is neither insurance company paying for it... now I'm lost...

colinxx235
07-12-2011, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by winson2001
story goes like this, wife got rear ended in front of my face( i was standing at corner of the street waiting for her to pick me up)

:rofl: :rofl:

G-ZUS
07-12-2011, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by colinxx235

:rofl: :rofl:

:facepalm:

winson2001
07-12-2011, 12:52 PM
^^; was picking me up at work in downtown to goto childbirth class

Masked Bandit
07-12-2011, 02:34 PM
I'm assuming there was some sort of damage to your vehicle? Liability rests with the guy who hit your wife from behind therefore his insurance company should be picking up the tab.

What did your broker say?

Modelexis
07-12-2011, 02:42 PM
I can't give advice about who picks up the tab, but you did the right thing by calling them whether you needed them or not.

Sorry to hear something like that happen to her, I know the feeling of seeing someone close to you get into a car crash. In early grade school, 3 or 4 I stood at the bus stop as my mother drove away to work and was t boned by a vehicle only a block away and came running back home covered in glass and blood.

I'm glad everything is ok and I hope the baby is born healthy and strong and lives a long happy life.

:thumbsup:

dandia89
07-12-2011, 02:47 PM
^^; was picking me up at work in downtown to goto childbirth class

i think he was laughing at the wordplay and the inneundo involved.

wouldn't the persons who rear ended your car have to pay for damages/hospital fees?

winson2001
07-12-2011, 02:54 PM
damage wise, the trunk is pretty bend, one side of rear light has poped out, rear pumper will need a replacement for sure, clear bend on driver side rear quarter panel. on top of all that wife's car is worth next to nothing, I'd be very very surprised if it dont get write off.

my broker is pretty irresponsible imo, i call them n told them wife has no injury, then they say "great, heres a phone number from the other party, n our part on this is done, thank you very much" from then on its the standard answer i get from them if i have any sort of question (like when i asked them about the ambulance bill). then i was left on myself to contact the other party for all claims. when i ask them about the ambulance bill, they said it should go through my insurance, and while there is no injury, they cant start a medical claim.

G-ZUS
07-12-2011, 03:14 PM
damage wise, the trunk is pretty bend, one side of rear light has poped out, rear pumper will need a replacement for sure, clear bend on driver side rear quarter panel. on top of all that wife's car is worth next to nothing, I'd be very very surprised if it dont get write off.

my broker is pretty irresponsible imo, i call them n told them wife has no injury, then they say "great, heres a phone number from the other party, n our part on this is done, thank you very much" from then on its the standard answer i get from them if i have any sort of question (like when i asked them about the ambulance bill). then i was left on myself to contact the other party for all claims. when i ask them about the ambulance bill, they said it should go through my insurance, and while there is no injury, they cant start a medical claim.

Did they diagnose her with whiplash at the hospital?
You should give it time before you say no injury. I got rear ended almost 2 years ago, didn't feel nothing that day. Woke up the next morning and my neck/shoulders were done.

If you only have liability insurance, you have to deal with the other guys insurance yourself.

winson2001
07-12-2011, 03:22 PM
she was monitored for 4 hour, but its just about the baby, but its been almost 6 weeks now. wife is as comfy as 8 months pregnant can be, so I think injury wise, shes fine, plus I saw the incident, the other guy wasnt going fast at all. so thank god both wife n kid is fine :thumbsup:

Zero102
07-12-2011, 03:46 PM
This should be covered under section B on your insurance.

1-Bar
07-12-2011, 03:48 PM
Do you know if the Medics filled out a form for your wife? Or did they quickly assess her and denied transport to a hospital? For the record, shortness of breath is treated as serious sign and good for calling an ambulance.

winson2001
07-12-2011, 04:04 PM
not sure what form was filled, as i was running around collecting info from by standers, giving info to cops, and answering questions from firefighters (fire truck was there also.... dunno y tho). the ambulance asked the wife if shes ok to goto the hospital on our own n she said shes fine, after that the ambulance collected some info from me then left the scene.

4DoorGTZ
07-12-2011, 07:49 PM
Time to dump your current insurance company after you get thisa ll sorted out. Make sure you let them know why.

rage2
07-12-2011, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by 4DoorGTZ
Time to dump your current insurance company after you get thisa ll sorted out. Make sure you let them know why.
And they'll laugh at you. Every insurance company will tell you to DIY if you only have liability insurance. You only get to deal with your own insurance company if you have Collision insurance.

guessboi
07-12-2011, 08:18 PM
the bill should be covered under section B - medical payments on your insurance. This is a no fault benefits coverage. You will probably get a bill soon, and your insurer will need you to submit it to them for reimbursement.

Dilmah
07-12-2011, 08:39 PM
From what I've heard, if an ambulance shows up you should go to the hospital in it, then take a cab home. Otherwise the bill will come to you and no insurance company will pay, not even your health coverage from work. According to the insurance company; why would we pay for something that you didn't need or use. Had you used it then you can make a claim for it. EMS sends you a bill because you requested them.

Dilmah
07-12-2011, 08:47 PM
she was monitored for 4 hour, but its just about the baby, but its been almost 6 weeks now. wife is as comfy as 8 months pregnant can be, so I think injury wise, shes fine, plus I saw the incident, the other guy wasnt going fast at all. so thank god both wife n kid is fine :thumbsup:

Wait! It's been 6 weeks since this happened and you're just telling us now! WTF...

I don't think you're going to get a bill if you haven't received it by now.

ralliart_girl
07-12-2011, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by Dilmah
From what I've heard, if an ambulance shows up you should go to the hospital in it, then take a cab home. Otherwise the bill will come to you and no insurance company will pay, not even your health coverage from work. According to the insurance company; why would we pay for something that you didn't need or use. Had you used it then you can make a claim for it. EMS sends you a bill because you requested them.

Wrong. If you get a bill, submit it to your own insurance company, like the other people who knew that they were talking about posted, your section b coverage on your policy is intended for this type of expense, regardless if the person was taken to the hospital.

winson2001
07-13-2011, 12:04 AM
thank you all for trying to help, beyond is awesome :thumbsup:

here more to the story, the incident happened on may 31st and wife's insurance is up on june 12 n i have already in plan to change insurance company even before the accident. it was because they up'd wife's premium for about 20% for no reason.

and I did get the bill just last week, and then run into this situation. i'm reliefed even if the bill ended up on me for not taking the ride to the hospital, then that way i can tell my benefit company that why the bill went to them.

5fivespeed
07-13-2011, 02:10 AM
Be sure to go to X-Rays as well as doctors. It may seem that your wife is fine now, but further down the road - it can be bad. I got rear ended, X-rays ended up showing my spine shifting left, and my neck posture too forward and down from the impact. All I feel is dull, lower back pain. But I didn't know it was that bad.

Ray

dandia89
07-13-2011, 01:23 PM
answering questions from firefighters (fire truck was there also.... dunno y tho).

kind of off topic, but i hear this often. firefighters will come if the place of incident happens to be closer to the firestation compared to an ambulance from a hospital. firefighters are EMT so they can take care of you (to some extent)

1-Bar
07-13-2011, 04:02 PM
^false, not all Firefighters are EMT/Medics. Additionally, they come to most scenes of car collisions due to possible spills and for clean up, support and direct traffic if need be. Additionally with Shortness of Breath call, it probably got rated high on the response type in which both EMS and Fire show up.

tom_9109
07-14-2011, 07:49 AM
Chiming in on Section B from your own insurer. Even if you are found to not be injured the costs incurred should be covered.

Additionally even though no injury was suffered if you had to pay the bill yourself the third party would be liable as your have suffered loss as a result of their negligence. Only problem is you can't force them into accepting it unless you take them to court.

Xtrema
07-14-2011, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by rage2

And they'll laugh at you. Every insurance company will tell you to DIY if you only have liability insurance. You only get to deal with your own insurance company if you have Collision insurance.

Bingo.

People got to understand that if you don't have collision, most insurance companies don't give a shit until it's your fault.

And to the OP, I hope you got all the info from the at fault party. If their insurance company tried to settle, don't. Not until your kids is born and wife is fine.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, statue of limitation is 2 years right?

And buy collision, it's a lot less hassle unless you have a lot of free time to deal with insurance companies.

colinxx235
07-14-2011, 09:58 AM
I thought in Alberta it was 2 year upon discovery of injury to file charges??

And then the 10 year "drop dead" clause in Alberta? IIRC. Engg 513 ftw? hahaha

G-ZUS
07-14-2011, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by colinxx235
And then the 10 year "drop dead" clause in Alberta? IIRC. Engg 513 ftw? hahaha

Care to elaborate?

colinxx235
07-14-2011, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by G-ZUS

Care to elaborate?

I wish I had my notes on me. (IIRC) But Alberta has a unique clause that states claims for damages/inuries must be brought up within 10 years of the accident or when said injury SHOULD have been discovered.. I'm sure someone like Masked_Bandit can chime in with the most appropriate response.

I believe an analogy used by the prof was. You get in an accident and are unsure of injuries. Start a file with lawyer or insurance. If after 10 years you discover that an injury related to said incident arises, you are SOL in AB.

http://www.lerners.ca/content/The%20uncertain%20boundary%20between%20complaints%20and%20lawsuits%20against%20police.pdf

Thats an article from May 27,2011. Apparently trying to clarify some issues.

winson2001
07-14-2011, 01:19 PM
wife's insurer has me fax them the bill and they said theyll review it.... now is a waiting game again haha