PDA

View Full Version : Review: Quincy's (0/10)

Mitsu3000gt
07-13-2011, 02:26 PM
Went to Quincy's recently, and my god it was terrible. This is the one on 7th ave downtown.

Atmosphere: Arrived, and we were one of 3 tables occupied in the ENTIRE place. It stayed that way from 12pm – 2pm. This is lunch hour during the stampede, if you can’t fill more than 3 tables this time of year, I’d imagine that is a significant problem. It’s super dark, old décor, VERY old/sleepy music playing in the background which seemed appropriate to how busy the place was. The only thing more appropriate may have been cricket noises. The place reeked like cigarette smoke to me, but maybe I am just sensitive to the smell. Because of how not-busy it was, I couldn't help but wonder how fresh my food was going to be as I'd imagine they are storing things as long as possible before throwing them away. The whole time I just felt like I'd rather be somewhere that other people also wanted to be (pretty much anywhere else). It was so dead in there it felt like something was wrong.

0/10.

Service: Not as much complain about here, there was one waiter for the ENTIRE place (because no more were needed as it isn’t at all busy). He overheard it was someone’s birthday and brought a free piece of cheesecake, so for that reason I can’t give 0/10 in this section. He disappeared for so long at times that I think he may have also been the cook, though.

The “fresh pepper” was done with a pepper grinder that was so loud and screechy it sounded exactly like fingernails down a chalkboard. Anytime it was used, everyone in the restaurant (all 3 tables) stopped talking and looked at it. They didn’t do the “pepper until you say stop” thing, everyone simply got an ear-piercing screech from the grinder followed by what I would estimate to be 10-15 specks of pepper concentrated in one place on the plate, because the grinder was obviously failing and the server didn't care.

3/10.

Food: Absolutely HIDEOUSLY bad. I had the salmon, which was supposed to come on coconut rice, berries and seasonal veggies. It was, bar none, the worst salmon I’ve ever had. Very stiff, very dry, overcooked, and not even the slightest HINT of glaze, seasoning, etc. It was simply a hunk of thin, bare salmon, poorly cooked. The coconut rice was not coconut at all, and in addition to being ice cold, was so stiff and dry that each fork-full needed to be chased with sip of water (which we had to ask for - I've never been to a restaurant before that didn't automatically give water). My “berries” were about 6 or 7 small shriveled blueberries covered in some sort of vile goop, clearly the residue from the bottom of the can they came out of. My seasonal vegetable was 7 massive pieces of zucchini, a dime sized piece of red pepper, and one onion strip, none of which I bothered to even try it looked so un-appetizing.

Another person had the seafood linguini, of which he ate barely half of. It was basically tomato soup with noodles, and the only recognizable seafood in it at all was a few clam shells. His only comment was that it was ice cold and tasted as if it had been sitting overnight. Looked abysmal. He also started with a French onion soup which was burned black on top.

The other lady had a Cajun chicken Caesar salad, and although I’ve never heard her speak a bad word about anything before in all my time working with her, she described the salad as “completely tasteless”. She ate a few pieces of chicken off the top and that was it. The Caesar/lettuce was so flavorless she couldn’t stand to eat it.

The fourth person with us had a steak sandwich, which was just a piece of meat on a white piece of bread, and the only thing she mentioned was that it was ice cold throughout. She ordered a side Caesar but they brought her a house salad, an inexcusable mistake in my opinion, considering only 3 tables were occupied in the whole restaurant.

0/10

Drinks: Were all bottle served (nothing on tap, presumably because business is so slow that the kegs would go bad if they did) and beers were poured carelessly into the glass until it was 90% foam, 10% beer, then the bottle was placed down beside you so that in 10 minutes when the foam settles, you could fill up the remaining 90% of your glass with actual beer yourself.

5/10, only reason I am not giving this 0/10 is because the restaurant didn't make the beer, so when the foam finally settled from the 90% foam pours, it was acceptable.

The bill was $157.00 for 4 people and it was truly the worst restaurant I’ve been to in recent memory. I would have much preferred something from McDonalds, or some street meat. Yes, it was THAT bad.

*The above is of course only my opinion :D

kvg
07-13-2011, 02:33 PM
Wow, sounds like a great place to avoid. I wonder if they get any business in the dinner hour and if so how the food turns out when they are busy:confused:

ZeeZee
07-13-2011, 02:46 PM
Interesting to hear, this place used to be really good... but I have not been there in 7 or 8 years. Sounds like they've given up.

SilverGS
07-13-2011, 02:48 PM
Wow I wonder if they changed owners or cooks.

Last time I went it was great. Had some fantastic steaks there and service was neat because the waiters all dressed up and had the towel over one arm. Came out with bread crumb sweepers before the main course came out.

I haven't been there in a long long time though and seems like I shouldn't

n1zm0
07-13-2011, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by ZeeZee
Interesting to hear, this place used to be really good... but I have not been there in 7 or 8 years.

yeah almost 7-8 years to the tee since i last went there in HS days and we used to go there tons with fake IDs, it was pretty good back then i thought.

Guillermo
07-13-2011, 03:32 PM
i went to a corporate christmas dinner there about 5 or 6 years ago, and it was outstanding. i wonder what happened?

Jry_79
07-13-2011, 03:52 PM
+1, took a client and a friend out to lunch there 3 weeks ago....absolutely shietty service and the food wasn't that good.

ercchry
07-13-2011, 04:00 PM
your review actually adds up to 2/10 ;)

ZeeZee
07-13-2011, 04:14 PM
Maybe the c-train station construction killed their business and they never recovered?

They'll be gone soon.

BerserkerCatSplat
07-13-2011, 04:25 PM
Man, I remember going there years ago when they had a phenomenal live jazz act and it was great, it's really sad to hear they've gone downhill.

adidas
07-13-2011, 05:11 PM
I wonder if they still own the Distillery. If you would have only walked into that place first you would know to never eat there.

Ven
07-13-2011, 06:11 PM
Terrible terrible place. I can pretty well agree with the OP's findings. And fuckin filthy too. Sticky gross tables, all of them (we moved around) and bits of food and crap all over the floor. I'm not kidding. Fuckin repulsive. Non-existent service. General bad vibe for everyone. We just left before the food came. We couldn't stomach the place and the thought of eating their turned our guts. Avoid.

Mitsu3000gt
07-13-2011, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by Ven
Terrible terrible place. I can pretty well agree with the OP's findings. And fuckin filthy too. Sticky gross tables, all of them (we moved around) and bits of food and crap all over the floor. I'm not kidding. Fuckin repulsive. Non-existent service. General bad vibe for everyone. We just left before the food came. We couldn't stomach the place and the thought of eating their turned our guts. Avoid.

LOL I almost forgot, the best part. I sat down in my chair, put my arm onto the armrest, and it fully stuck to it. It was so filthy I spent the next 5 min dipping my napkin in my water (when it finally arrived) and cleaning my arm & chair.

blitz
07-13-2011, 08:31 PM
I agree. Went there a few months ago for a quick work lunch. Disgusting food and poor service.

One of the girls ordered a vegetarian stir fry, it was 90% onions and 10% celery.

Grogador
07-13-2011, 08:59 PM
I would never go there for food but they have great shows some nights, Distillery too.

GQNammer
07-13-2011, 09:16 PM
WTF happened to this place? It used to be awesome.