PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Ford Escape



lasimmon
07-13-2011, 03:14 PM
Been looking at Ford Escapes recently. Found this one:
http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Ford/Escape/CALGARY/Alberta/19_4152693_/?ms=trucks_vans

Anyone know if this is good value? Overpriced? etc.

I am not the most car savvy person, just thought I would see if anyone has some feed back

Thanks!

RickDaTuner
07-13-2011, 04:24 PM
I would stay away from this particular model of the Escape.

I could list countless problems with these cars, ranging from simple key remote issues to full blown transmission problems.
There is also a laundry list of recalls, TSB, and SSMs for this car, one particular nasty one is the drivers side PTU seal and bushing which if not dealt with in time will cause your transmission to fail. Another fantastic one is a vibration at 85-130km/h caused by an improperly balanced drive shaft, that goes on to destroy the center differential on the Power Take Off unit.

I'll admit they are somewhat nice to looks at but, take it from a ford factory trained mechanic; They are just not worth the headache

leftwing
07-13-2011, 05:21 PM
http://www.carcomplaints.com/Ford/Escape/2008/

My mom has an '10 Ford Escape and I love driving it, its only got about 5000kms so no problems have surfaced yet but I really enjoy driving it.

The one your looking has looks really nice with all the bells and whistles. From browsing Kijiji quickly, it looks like a good value. The prices I saw on comparable vehicles were from 23k-28k. Just make sure you get a thorough inspection done before agreeing to buy and do as much research as you can on the issues that Rickdatuner suggested.

lasimmon
07-13-2011, 06:18 PM
Thanks for information guys. The seller is actually a good friend of mine so I am not worried about them trying to offload a lemon but I wanted some info on how they hold up, so thanks!

ddduke
07-13-2011, 11:18 PM
Bought one for my girlfriend a few years ago because she only drives about 5000km a year and wanted something with cargo room, 4x4 and decent on gas. We got the fully loaded v6.

They're pure garbage. When I drove it, it was so uncomfortable it would make my back hurt after an hour (I have no back problems btw). They're so cheaply made that half the interior trim peices broke, including all three air knobs which makes winter days really fun when you have to use pliers to change the heat settings while waiting 2 weeks for new ones to come in. The tailgate started to rattle all the time because the bolts that held it on would loosen up by themselves (she doesn't drive on gravel roads or any roads that would rattle her car like crazy to cause these to loosen). One day the brake lines cracked while driving and pissed out all the fluid, making the brakes damn near useless, I had to use the ebrake to stop then have the car towed. Tranny issues. Stereo volume knob would only work from time to time. Alternator went. The list goes on.

You have to remember this was a vehicle with very minimal use. She only drove it to work which is really close and sometimes to run errands. We had it for 2 years and I just decided it had to go, I just could not stand how big of a POS it was. I don't even want to know how bad it would have been if I had it as a DD and drove it 4-8000km/month like I do my truck.

The only good thing I have to say about it is that they are absolutely unreal in the winter, puts my truck and avalanche to shame.

AE92_TreunoSC
07-13-2011, 11:23 PM
+1 Garbage.

They are the cheapest in their class for a reason.

I've worked on plenty and my inlaws have one.

They hate it and I hate driving it. It's slow, has a small gas tank in which it gets poor mileage. It has a howling transmission at 100,000 and its got god awful resale so they cannot trade it in for a Rav4 or CRV.

Stay the hell away from that pile of crap.

ddduke
07-13-2011, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by AE92_TreunoSC
has a small gas tank

Forgot about this, sooooo fucking annoying. Drove me insane.

tentacles
07-13-2011, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by RickDaTuner
I would stay away from this particular model of the Escape.

I could list countless problems with these cars, ranging from simple key remote issues to full blown transmission problems.
There is also a laundry list of recalls, TSB, and SSMs for this car, one particular nasty one is the drivers side PTU seal and bushing which if not dealt with in time will cause your transmission to fail. Another fantastic one is a vibration at 85-130km/h caused by an improperly balanced drive shaft, that goes on to destroy the center differential on the Power Take Off unit.

I'll admit they are somewhat nice to looks at but, take it from a ford factory trained mechanic; They are just not worth the headache

What if you only got the 4 cyl. FWD? would that be better?

I looked over some reliability surveys and the only consistent issue is a leaking trans cooler, for which there is a TSB.

lasimmon
07-13-2011, 11:55 PM
Im still on the fence because I hear you guys with all your complaints, but I also have other friends with them with no complaints as well as I find online almost an equal amount of complaints and those who say its fine haha. Im at a crossroads.

dandia89
07-14-2011, 08:12 AM
I'm kind of confused, wouldn't you want a car that has minimal complaints rather than a 50/50 split?

RickDaTuner
07-14-2011, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by tentacles


What if you only got the 4 cyl. FWD? would that be better?

I looked over some reliability surveys and the only consistent issue is a leaking trans cooler, for which there is a TSB.

I would stay away from the Vehicle all together. The current design of the 4cylinder engine causes it to develop piston slap on cold start in as little as 150k kms.

The transmissions in the 4 cylinder suffer the same issue as the 6 cyl AWD, The underlying cause of this is due to a poor seal and bushing design used in all escape models.

Transmission cooler lines that leak are believe it or not a minor issue on that car. they do for the most part all leak. and this is due to a poor clamping process during manufacturing.

Further to these issues the engine of the 4 cylinder suffers from failing VCT sensors, and on the 6 cyl as well

If you use the rear hatch more than the average person, you can also expect that the wire loom that controls the high mount stop light and also the rear lock will also fail. This due to a wire loom that was made about 1cm too short and will fray and crack over time.

Again, I could on, and on, and on on the faults of these cars.

The First Generation Escapes were great, but as soon as they moved to the new gen, it has suffered greatly.

you're better off with a fusion, or some what better of with a flex or edge, a bit more money but much more reliable.

Mitsu3000gt
07-14-2011, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by lasimmon
Im still on the fence because I hear you guys with all your complaints, but I also have other friends with them with no complaints as well as I find online almost an equal amount of complaints and those who say its fine haha. Im at a crossroads.

What? a 50/50 split of complaints has you at a "crossroads"? :facepalm:. Good cars do not have 50% of people complaining about them.

Also at least one person in this thread is a mechanic, whose opinion would likely be more valuable than than your friends with no issues.

Escapes are well known to be crap, and they have incredibly low resale value (why do you think that is?). I would avoid at all costs.

tentacles
07-14-2011, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by RickDaTuner


I would stay away from the Vehicle all together. The current design of the 4cylinder engine causes it to develop piston slap on cold start in as little as 150k kms.

The transmissions in the 4 cylinder suffer the same issue as the 6 cyl AWD, The underlying cause of this is due to a poor seal and bushing design used in all escape models.

Transmission cooler lines that leak are believe it or not a minor issue on that car. they do for the most part all leak. and this is due to a poor clamping process during manufacturing.

Further to these issues the engine of the 4 cylinder suffers from failing VCT sensors, and on the 6 cyl as well

If you use the rear hatch more than the average person, you can also expect that the wire loom that controls the high mount stop light and also the rear lock will also fail. This due to a wire loom that was made about 1cm too short and will fray and crack over time.

Again, I could on, and on, and on on the faults of these cars.

The First Generation Escapes were great, but as soon as they moved to the new gen, it has suffered greatly.

you're better off with a fusion, or some what better of with a flex or edge, a bit more money but much more reliable.

So the last gen was all right then? According to Wiki the MY 2008 is the current bodystyle but still used the I4 engine and 4 speed auto from the last gen. The new engine and trans only came in in MY 2009.

I guess the one in the ad probably still isn't a good idea because it's a V6 and AWD, but 2007 and prior model year with I4 and FWD should be pretty good no?

BrknFngrs
07-14-2011, 11:29 AM
I'm with Rick on this one. No first hand experience, but a good friend of mine had transmission failure as noted above.

crapstixs
07-14-2011, 12:07 PM
Any vehical has a huge amout of problems, nothing lasts forever. Allmost every vechical on the road will leak fluid from hose crimps, allmost every GM ever built has piston slap and half of the honda's on the road also do. Any cam phaser will stick if the oil is not changed. No manufactur has built a auto tranny that dosent fail. Yes some trannys do blow up more than others, but all will fail at some point. these are all problems that most vehicals have.
imo these are all normal problems that all cars have.

Team_Mclaren
07-14-2011, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by crapstixs
Any vehical has a huge amout of problems, nothing lasts forever. Allmost every vechical on the road will leak fluid from hose crimps, allmost every GM ever built has piston slap and half of the honda's on the road also do. Any cam phaser will stick if the oil is not changed. No manufactur has built a auto tranny that dosent fail. Yes some trannys do blow up more than others, but all will fail at some point. these are all problems that most vehicals have.
imo these are all normal problems that all cars have.

at <150k? You have been buying the wrong cars:facepalm:

crapstixs
07-14-2011, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by Team_Mclaren


at &lt;150k? You have been buying the wrong cars:facepalm: I dont buy cars, I work on cars all day. and the escape dosent have too many problems compaired to other vehicals on the road.

RickDaTuner
07-14-2011, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by crapstixs
I dont buy cars, I work on cars all day. and the escape dosent have too many problems compaired to other vehicals on the road.

As a tech, especially a Ford tech, you prove a great deal of the time that you have some pretty low standards when it comes to the proper operation of a vehicle.

I am honestly shocked that you are here defending the Escape. Of all the people on this forum, having access to all the Ford privileged information that I do, you're going to sit there and tell me that the Escape is on average with all the other cars on the road?

Get real buddy, I'm starting to think that you just like defending the Ford product as if it were your obsession

RickDaTuner
07-14-2011, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by tentacles


So the last gen was all right then? According to Wiki the MY 2008 is the current bodystyle but still used the I4 engine and 4 speed auto from the last gen. The new engine and trans only came in in MY 2009.

I guess the one in the ad probably still isn't a good idea because it's a V6 and AWD, but 2007 and prior model year with I4 and FWD should be pretty good no?

You'd be alright man, the first gens suffer from the front brake lines fraying over time, so just keep an eye on those, or you may get caught with a ruptured brake line as mentioned above.

crapstixs
07-14-2011, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by RickDaTuner


As a tech, especially a Ford tech, you prove a great deal of the time that you have some pretty low standards when it comes to the proper operation of a vehicle.

I am honestly shocked that you are here defending the Escape. Of all the people on this forum, having access to all the Ford privileged information that I do, you're going to sit there and tell me that the Escape is on average with all the other cars on the road?

Get real buddy, I'm starting to think that you just like defending the Ford product as if it were your obsession

Im not a ford tech, I have never worked for ford. nor am a I really big for fan of ford.

The 3.0L in the escape is a great engine that ford has been making for many years. yes it dose have some tranny problems but what car dosent. All of the problems that you listed off, Allmost all cars have. hose crimps? really are you going to tell me that that is not a common problem with all cars. Every manufactur has problem with vct systems. The escape is not the best suv on the road hence the price.

unlike you I dont sit here on the internet and spew a bunch of bull shit to get my ego stroked. When I do post I try to give real life experience and solutions that it usefull. Not some shit copied right from a text book just so I can sound super smart.

you figgered out how a o2 sensor works yet?

RickDaTuner
07-14-2011, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by crapstixs


Im not a ford tech, I have never worked for ford. nor am a I really big for fan of ford.

The 3.0L in the escape is a great engine that ford has been making for many years. yes it dose have some tranny problems but what car dosent. All of the problems that you listed off, Allmost all cars have. hose crimps? really are you going to tell me that that is not a common problem with all cars. Every manufactur has problem with vct systems. The escape is not the best suv on the road hence the price.

unlike you I dont sit here on the internet and spew a bunch of bull shit to get my ego stroked. When I do post I try to give real life experience and solutions that it usefull. Not some shit copied right from a text book just so I can sound super smart.

you figgered out how a o2 sensor works yet?

:rolleyes:

I figured you were looking for an argument, but posted anyway.

Thanks for the laugh..

gretz
07-14-2011, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by crapstixs



unlike you I dont sit here on the internet and spew a bunch of bull shit to get my ego stroked. When I do post I try to give real life experience and solutions that it usefull. Not some shit copied right from a text book just so I can sound super smart.



lol... biggest hypocrite statement on Beyond this year...

Team_Mclaren
07-14-2011, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by crapstixs


blah

so its common for a car to have all that fucking problems 150K in? Trannies breaking, hoses leaking, pistons slaping?

Fuck maybe i got lucky on my rotary and lexus (toyota). :rofl:

crapstixs
07-14-2011, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by RickDaTuner


:rolleyes:

I figured you were looking for an argument, but posted anyway.

Thanks for the laugh..
I was not looking for a fight at all, I shared my opinion then you called me out. so I told you how I felt about that. and im looking for a fight?

crapstixs
07-14-2011, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by Team_Mclaren


so its common for a car to have all that fucking problems 150K in? Trannies breaking, hoses leaking, pistons slaping?

Fuck maybe i got lucky on my rotary and lexus (toyota). :rofl:
duramax's cracking heads taking them off the transport at the dealer.

Gm trucks with ball joints falling out of them at 40 000km

dodge mini van's blowing diff pins through the tranny case any were from 1-10000000km.

all newish ford diffs

rx8 and there 80 000km engines.

alot of big thing break under 150k.

gretz
07-14-2011, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by crapstixs
blah part 2


-He called you out for being wrong, as he has more experience with this vehicle (others concur)
-you try to justify your BS (spewing) with insults
-you wonder why insults seem like starting a fight?

no hope lol

RickDaTuner
07-14-2011, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by crapstixs

I was not looking for a fight at all, I shared my opinion then you called me out. so I told you how I felt about that. and im looking for a fight?


I don't understand what you are trying to accomplish, because it seems as if you were trying to legitimize a lousy purchase for some one who is looking for advice. Of course I was going to say something about it.

I much like you, post information to help others, not to place them in hardship.

crapstixs
07-14-2011, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by RickDaTuner



I don't understand what you are trying to accomplish, because it seems as if you were trying to legitimize a lousy purchase for some one who is looking for advice. Of course I was going to say something about it.

I much like you, post information to help others, not to place them in hardship.
not to place them im hardship? your the one that is telling him how the car he wants to buy is the this huge pos. Im the one saying its not that bad.

gretz, I like to throw insults but you like to assume. you have no Idea who I am or who rick is so really saying who has more experience is pure speculation.

the o2 insult came from rick saying a wideband o2 reads left over fuel in the exhaust. that is just plain and simple wrong.

Rick called me out, so I told him what I think about him.

RickDaTuner
07-14-2011, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by crapstixs

not to place them im hardship? your the one that is telling him how the car he wants to buy is the this huge pos. Im the one saying its not that bad.

gretz, I like to throw insults but you like to assume. you have no Idea who I am or who rick is so really saying who has more experience is pure speculation.

the o2 insult came from rick saying a wideband o2 reads left over fuel in the exhaust. that is just plain and simple wrong.

Rick called me out, so I told him what I think about him.

haha you're still going to stick with your narrow band explanation for a wideband o2 sensor huh...geeeez.

This is easy, I work with these cars day in and day out at a Ford dealership, I know them inside and out. They suck pure and simple. If you want to make chocolate fudge out of bear shit, then that fine, at the end of the day you only represent yourself as an Asshole for trying to feed some one shit.

Finally it needs to be said that you lack comprehension skills, along with proper spelling.

I wont revisit your lack of understanding in this thread or anywhere on this forum again. As a matter of fact, your the first person in about 3 years that I will put on my block list.

:devil:

:drama:

crapstixs
07-14-2011, 03:22 PM
oh I know my spelling sucks, all be the first one to say that.

you may work at ford, they may be a pice of shit. but most of what you said gose wrong, also gose wrong on 95% of the vehicals on the road. then you called me names, then I called you names. now you have gone over the line by blocking me.

you think im a hack. I dont think your head will fit through most doors. I call that even.

gretz
07-14-2011, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by crapstixs
oh I know my spelling sucks, all be the first one to say that.

you may work at ford, they may be a pice of shit. but most of what you said gose wrong, also gose wrong on 95% of the vehicals on the road. then you called me names, then I called you names. now you have gone over the line by blocking me.

you think im a hack. I dont think your head will fit through most doors. I call that even.

You have some serious issues lol...

I like to assume? If that's the case, I assumed correctly > It didn't take a rocket scientist to figure out who has more experience with these vehicles...

Where do you work? Everything you do / recommend is clearly superior to others'...


Every thread you are challenged in / someone states an opinion different than yours, you "assume" everyone is calling you a hack, throw insults, and disregard anything you don't understand / comprehend... You are starting to come across (more-so) as a dink lol

HiTempguy1
07-14-2011, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by crapstixs


you think im a hack. I dont think your head will fit through most doors. I call that even.

See, I actually think he knows what he is talking about, while you come off as a hack AND your head won't fit through most doors.

Escape's are GARBAGE compared to their competition. And no, most automatic transmissions don't fail before 150,000kms, along with everything else you've listed. Besides being ignorant, you are also ridiculous. :dunno:

I'm going through something similiar right now; as we all know, woman are irrational and do things based on emotion. My sister wants a small SUV. She sees the Ford and thinks:

1)It's cute
2) It's domestic, so easy to get fixed
3) It's inexpensive, because it's domestic

I explain to her that they get shit gas mileage, ride like a friggin' horse drawn carriage, and suck in general. I mean, they are a perfectly fine VEHICLE, but there is better out there for the same price.

tentacles
07-14-2011, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by HiTempguy1


See, I actually think he knows what he is talking about, while you come off as a hack AND your head won't fit through most doors.

Escape's are GARBAGE compared to their competition. And no, most automatic transmissions don't fail before 150,000kms, along with everything else you've listed. Besides being ignorant, you are also ridiculous. :dunno:

I'm going through something similiar right now; as we all know, woman are irrational and do things based on emotion. My sister wants a small SUV. She sees the Ford and thinks:

1)It's cute
2) It's domestic, so easy to get fixed
3) It's inexpensive, because it's domestic

I explain to her that they get shit gas mileage, ride like a friggin' horse drawn carriage, and suck in general. I mean, they are a perfectly fine VEHICLE, but there is better out there for the same price.

Well that one in the ad looks like it's about $5k over priced.

I was also looking around for the same thing. If the brake lines are the only serious issue on the 2007 and prior body style then that makes it a pretty good deal. Looking on VMR Canada you can get a 2007 base model for around 10-12k. What else can you get for that year for the same price? Any Honda or Toyota is going to cost thousands more. The best options I can find are either a base model Escape, or the Saturn VUE from around the same period that had the Honda engine and trans.

crapstixs
07-14-2011, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by gretz


You have some serious issues lol...

I like to assume? If that's the case, I assumed correctly &gt; It didn't take a rocket scientist to figure out who has more experience with these vehicles...

Where do you work? Everything you do / recommend is clearly superior to others'...


Every thread you are challenged in / someone states an opinion different than yours, you &quot;assume&quot; everyone is calling you a hack, throw insults, and disregard anything you don't understand / comprehend... You are starting to come across (more-so) as a dink lol

oh I love the internet.

I would like to know when I said my advise was better than every one elses?
and when I said MOST tranny blow up under 150k.
I said no such things.
all that I did was call out rick for posting up a bunch or problems that all vehicals have not just escapes. and trying to sound super smart so he can get he ego stroked as per normal with him. really thats all that I said.
it is totaly fine if everyone thinks im a hack, the man signes my pay cheques thinks im well worth the money he pays me. and I do not need to go on the internet to get my dick sucked like rick dose.

view me as you will, really its no skin off my back.

gretz
07-14-2011, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by crapstixs


oh I love the internet.

I would like to know when I said my advise was better than every one elses?

To you, everyone else is wrong and you are right... it seems you think your advise is better

and when I said MOST tranny blow up under 150k.
I said no such things.

lol... Where did I ever mention a transmission?? Not sure what you mean here but it made me laugh...


all that I did was call out rick for posting up a bunch or problems that all vehicals have not just escapes.

well, if you know escapes, these problems are more common / frequent than other vehicles... Not sure why you have an issue with this

and trying to sound super smart so he can get he ego stroked as per normal with him. really thats all that I said.

seems like you are threatened / don't like other mechanics / points of view other than your own

it is totaly fine if everyone thinks im a hack, the man signes my pay cheques thinks im well worth the money he pays me. and I do not need to go on the internet to get my dick sucked like rick dose.

?? you are the only one calling yourself a hack lol

view me as you will, really its no skin off my back.

You paint your own picture


by your last post, it proves you have some communication comprehension issues... The world isn't out to get you

Duckman
07-16-2011, 06:14 PM
Here's my 2 bits worth.

Bought the wife a 2008 XLT 3.0 AWD leather, moonroof and trailer package brand new in Oct 07.
First winter on the OEM Conti-tacs was impressive, full throttle starts turning left on ice and snow and it wouldn't spin slid or do anything fun at all, just go. 2nd winter on real winter tires and the thing was a hoot. 2nd gear start uphill on glare ice and it ran away from every single vehicle I went up against. Emergency handling in the wet at highway speeds was decent enough to avoid even the determined fucktards and installing Bendix CT3 pads improved the stopping power by about 20%. Bit of a dog off the line until 3000 rpm then it would wake up and I always thought that it should have had less road noise. But the mid-level sound system would drown that out no problem.
Things that went wrong fixed under warranty- trans cooler and right rear lower control arm replaced because the balljoint popped out.
Out of warranty repairs- rear hatch release actuator (half price) remote start module (cut us a deal) and 1 set of front brake pads. Replaced the halfish worn tires this spring just 'cause I like new tires.
Average highway mileage 32-33 mpg, one trip saw 36 but could have been a fluke.
Dealer serviced as per the schedule from new with synthetic oil, kept clean and then traded it in with 92000Kms 3 weeks ago on a 2011 Escape XLT with all the same options except the trailer package which we never used anyhow.
Same basic vehicle except for 40hp more, drive by wire, 6 speed auto, Microsoft Sync (I'm kinda meh about it) and 7, count them, 7 choices of selectable cupholder lighting colours!
The 2008 was not a bad vehicle for us as daily driver and on many vacation road trips at any time of year. Not particularly cheap to own at about $800 a month including amortization, all maintenance and repairs but it looked good did everything it was asked to and never let us down.
The main reason we got rid of it was because the wife was tired of retards hitting it.

Before trading it, I looked at the Toyota Highlander, and Nissan's Pathfinder and Exterra.
All of them were at least 10G's more and have less technology as well as being bigger and heavier. The Highlander comes close but the Nissans are crude in comparison.

HiTempguy1
07-16-2011, 11:17 PM
Your location of Mars makes sense. I feel that you have a general lack of experience with the entire field of smaller SUV's, and even in imperial MPG you still weren't getting those numbers in a awd v6. Sorry dude, but you are full of crap :dunno:

It's funny, but literally ANY vehicle should do what you described in winter conditions, especially an awd one. You ran good tires, yay, the vehicle is amazing; no it's not, most new vehicles would be like that.

Sorry to be all over you, but as I said, your review smacks of simply having had a decent experience with a new vehicle... ANY new vehicle should have a decent overall experience, but when comparing it to others, it's kind of like saying a camry for the past decade was nice. Sure it was, it was also boring and "mediocre". There is much better out there.

a social dsease
07-17-2011, 11:09 AM
I don't know much about the newer gen Escape, but I have had some experience with the first gen models. I owned a 2001 and my parents have owned a 2003 and now a 2007.

Reliability was excellent, I bought my 2001 with 205,000kms on it, and didn't have to put a single dollar into it (besides oil changes). My parents has been similar. The v6 has a timing chain instead of a belt, so you never have to worry about expensive belt changes. The sunroof did stop working, but I was too cheap to get it fixed.

Fuel Economy was quite reasonable for a v6, got about 11L/100km city and 9L/100km hwy. I would drive it all day at 140km/hr and still got good mileage, and I never experienced any rattling or swaying at high speeds. It did have a fair amount of road noise, especially from the sunroof, however that never bothered me.

Handling I actually found to be excellent. Most SUVs are body on frame (like a pickup truck) however the Escape is unibody (like a car) so it had minimal roll in corners (for an suv). You still have a nice high seating position and decent ground clearance like a truck.

Snow performance was decent, however it has open diffs fr and rear so if it gets stuck in deep snow it can be hard to get out. I drove mine to Fernie almost every weekend on allseasons and never had any problems.

The best thing about it for me was that for a small suv it had a ton of space. Great for snowboarding trips, mountain biking and camping. Interior is nothing too fancy but it had a ton of little storage compartments which was nice. The gear selector on mine was on the steering column (like a truck) which really made the interior feel roomy. The back seats could recline too, my snowboarding buddies really liked that.

I paid only 5k for mine and sold it for 3.5k with 255,000kms, so you should be able to get an older one for cheap. Great vehicle, I'll probably be buying another one for my gf to drive once we move back to Calgary.

Rat Fink
07-17-2011, 11:38 AM
I'm a Ford tech, and I don't think Escapes are that bad. I'd take a newer gen over an older one any day. :dunno:

The PTU seal/bushing thing is a 1 hour fix if caught in time. The tranny cooler leak issue is a pain for the owner if not caught within warranty but if it is caught in time its a practical non-issue as well....takes an hour or less to swap that out plus time to vac/recharge the A/C and then you have the updated part with the updated mounting system that shouldn't give any problems after that. The VCT solenoid issue is a 2 hour ordeal. If the owner kept up with their oil changes it shouldn't be any more than that (cam caps shouldn't be worn out, and have yet to see any cam caps worn on a properly maintained engine). I haven't seen any problems with the updated VCT solenoids.

My roommate has an '08 escape and she LOVES it. I've done the maintenance on it since she purchased it......so far it has needed a software update because the vehicle kept changing between metric and imperial units on the display at random, and the bolt for the PTU vent tube had to be re-tightened. The swaybar bushings also got replaced and that is it so far.

Our shop works on F-150s and super duties all day long, I don't see too many escapes come in for work, and I think the failure rate is pretty decent compared to how many of these damn things are on the road!

In keeping with Rick, I would agree the Edge/MKX is a better platform though.

Cos
07-17-2011, 12:41 PM
I can personally vouch for Rat and Rick. Both are great guys and have talked to them a fair bit. I would drive my truck to Canmore (Rick) or Leth (for Rat) any day to have either work on it.

Also holy fuck crapstix..... no one is saying you are a bad tech, take a chill pill. If you even look at Rat's post he agrees with you more than Rick does. People have different experiences with vehicles, that is why threads dont close after the first post. Are there better SUV's on the road? Yes. For the 15 grand you are going to spend? Maybe not. Rick seems like the type of guy who would rather have something a bit more expensive and not need to be fixed a lot. Where as Rat is the type of guy who doesnt mind it being fixed as long as it is a good deal. I think this is a matter of perception.

With that being said our company has a bunch for fleet vehicles. They are the hybrids but I know of at least two managers who want to get rid of their explorers to get a nice escape. They cant be that bad as I see them start day in and day out while sitting in the yard. :dunno:

SUV Blogger
07-21-2011, 11:50 PM
I have to say its a great car, rides well gas is okay wish it was better overall I am in love with my Ford


Best Regards
Shreya Mehta
Check our interesting Ford (http://www.suvblogger.com/17/ford-escape-2010/overview) suv reviews on suvblogger.com

71car2
07-26-2011, 02:47 PM
Well, I can't speak for the Escape suv models since I've never owned one before. However I have done a lot of work on the newer models (2009-2011) for Shaw cable company. I'm sure a lot of you people already knew that Shaw have a large fleet of these models and I think pretty much of its fleet are Ford products.

I've seen Shaw use F150-350 trucks, Escape and some Edges, also many Econoline vans as well. I did had seen Shaw purchased a few GMC 1500 trucks for their service vehicles... but they were very few anyway. Well, that said above ... the majority of its fleet are Escapes and from what I've seen and obverse while I work on them.

Escapes aren't that bad for a good price. Nothing fancy about what they are. They're basically "bread and butter" vechiles - that's it. There's a reason why Ford sell that model for low price and that is what it's about. I've been told the Hybrid Escapes are great gas savers and very quiet in low speeds. But don't take my word on that.

Hey, maybe you could check with Shaw if they have some older Escapes they can sell for cheap? Shaw is always replacing their fleet every 2-3 years all the time by model year. Sure, these models would be high in KM but maybe cheap by price ? Good enough for a beater while ... Heh

Frankly, I don't like the cheesy, hard and boring plastic interior panels in the Escape models. :barf: