PDA

View Full Version : Guy gets jacked when trying to buy off Kijiji

lasimmon
07-13-2011, 06:20 PM
A guy in edmonton got his cash stolen when trying to buy an apparent Rental ford fusion off Kijiji!

Be careful out there!

Link to story: http://edmonton.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20110713/edm_scam_110713/20110713/?hub=EdmontonHome

403ep3
07-13-2011, 06:24 PM
Lol 10k for a brand new car... Sucks, but really? It doesn't take a genius to realize it's a scam

jsn
07-13-2011, 06:43 PM
I feel for the guy but he should have known that it was a scam. Sure American cars depreciate quicker, but 10k for a brand new fusion?

I've always wondered, if you were in this situation and you attacked the guy to try to get your money back, could you get charged for assault? More curious than anything.

lasimmon
07-13-2011, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by jsn
I feel for the guy but he should have known that it was a scam. Sure American cars depreciate quicker, but 10k for a brand new fusion?

I've always wondered, if you were in this situation and you attacked the guy to try to get your money back, could you get charged for assault? More curious than anything.

I would assume if you didnt go beyond defending your money, as in if you got it back you didnt keep bashing his head in they may look the other way?

jsn
07-13-2011, 06:54 PM
That's what i was wondering. What's going beyond defending your money? Does grabbing your money count as an attack so would you be justified in defending yourself? It would be pretty hard to subdue him to get your money back if you did not attack him in some way.

adidas
07-13-2011, 09:40 PM
"It felt like I just lost everything. I'm sitting there shocked and depression, I'm sitting in the back seat my head drops to the floor,"

I cant help but laugh.

rx7boi
07-13-2011, 09:48 PM
Rofl, they tracked him parked at a Superstore and didn't call the cops when they see him walk into the store.

Not only that, they didn't have anyone at the car waiting.

Troooololol. Picture says it all.

Mitsu3000gt
07-13-2011, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by jsn

Canadian law typically favors the criminal in any self defense situation.

It would go like this (IMO):

- you need to overpower the criminal to get your money back
- by using more force than he does, you are in trouble if he sues you, and the "theft" would be hearsay so likely nothing would happen.
- if you let him get away, you'd never likely get your money back.

Maybe someone who knows better can also speculate, but that is what I predict would happen.

brokeass
07-13-2011, 11:00 PM
shoulda read markham's article

asifka
07-13-2011, 11:02 PM
It says he entered superstore. why dont they just check video survallance there to see him.:dunno:

sevewone
07-14-2011, 03:21 AM
Am I the only one who loled?

dandia89
07-14-2011, 07:40 AM
Originally posted by sevewone
Am I the only one who loled?
i think most people were :facepalm:

GQBalla
07-14-2011, 11:10 PM
sucks for him, but i woulda smashed him

codetrap
07-15-2011, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by GQBalla
sucks for him, but i woulda smashed him

Everytime I see comments like this.. I think of this joke..

Traffic Stop Two men are driving through Texas when they get pulled over by a State Trooper. The cop walks up and taps on the window with his nightstick. The driver rolls down the window and WHACK, the cop smacks him in the head with the stick.

The driver asks, "What the hell was that for?"

The cop answers, "You're in Texas son. When we pull you over, you better have your license ready when we get to your car."

The driver says, "I'm sorry, Officer, I'm not from around here."

The cop runs a check on the guy's license, and he's clean. He gives the guy his license back, walks around to the passenger side, and taps on the window.

The passenger rolls down the window and WHACK, the cop smacks him on the head with the nightstick.

The passenger asks, "What'd you do that for, sir?"

The cop says, "Just making your wish come true."

The passenger asks, "Making what wish come true?"

The cop says, "I know that two miles down the road you're going to say to your buddy, "I wish that asshole would've tried that shit with me!"

clem24
07-15-2011, 09:06 AM
Weird... Why didn't he call the cops when they were parked at Superstore? I'd probably call the cops, stand by the car and wait for the dude to walk out, and snap a photo of him. Of course maybe he didn't call the cops cause he knew it was a shady deal to begin with? Who knows...

I dunno, can't blame the guy entirely. I mean, he saw the actual car for sale, he did his due diligence by getting it inspected and running the VIN. It's not like he met the guy in the back hallway of Chinook...

JfuckinC
07-15-2011, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by clem24
Weird... Why didn't he call the cops when they were parked at Superstore? I'd probably call the cops, stand by the car and wait for the dude to walk out, and snap a photo of him. Of course maybe he didn't call the cops cause he knew it was a shady deal to begin with? Who knows...

I dunno, can't blame the guy entirely. I mean, he saw the actual car for sale, he did his due diligence by getting it inspected and running the VIN. It's not like he met the guy in the back hallway of Chinook...

yah but he's a total fucking retard because somone managed to snatch 10g's from him and run? like really? what a dumb mother fucker :rofl:

OHNO5OH
07-15-2011, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by asifka
It says he entered superstore. why dont they just check video survallance there to see him.:dunno:

If Stupidstore is anything like it was when I worked there(years ago!), the only RECORDED surveillance is on the employees in the cash room, and the gas bar.

Might be different now. I know they wanted you to think that there were cameras all over, but its mainly a decoy while a floor walker stalks you.

dharminder
07-15-2011, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by jsn

well i could be wrong but if I were to try and scam some dude and then got beat up, how would that play out with the cops?
Yes officer i was beaten up because I tried to scam the guy for 10k.

I think as another member posted as long as your not stomping the guy to death I would assume that the cops would not charge you.

bighead2267
07-15-2011, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by clem24

+1. it's partially his fault but can't blame him 100%.

Merritt
07-17-2011, 11:14 AM
This article appears to be pointless without any supporting evidence of suspect's face or anything. Did the police not ask him to provide the face sketch at all?