PDA

View Full Version : Hidden fees with Questrade?

hamburgler
07-13-2011, 10:50 PM
I am currently paying $28.95/trade with RBC direct investing so its basically not worth trading with less than $5000 of one stock. I've done a bit of reading and Questrade does seem to be a lot cheaper. Are there any hidden fees that some of you might have encountered with your Questrade accounts? I am going move about $5000 from my savings into a TFSA in Questrade. Thanks

Meback
07-13-2011, 11:15 PM
no hidden fees, and i ve been doing the TFSA thing too. Make sure when you get that money transfer that you're not withdrawing it from an established TFSA account. It will count as an over contribution if not done correctly.

PeterGTiR
07-13-2011, 11:29 PM
There are no hidden fees as they are all disclosed:

-the cost to buy shares is between $5-$10.
-the cost to sell shares also has exchange and ECN fees:

http://www.questrade.com/pricing/exchange_ecn_fees.aspx

hamburgler
07-13-2011, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by Meback
no hidden fees, and i ve been doing the TFSA thing too. Make sure when you get that money transfer that you're not withdrawing it from an established TFSA account. It will count as an over contribution if not done correctly.

What do you mean by this? I am planning to leave what I have got in my RBC direct investing for the long term (Im down at the moment so Ill just leave it). I am going to open up the Questrade acct that will be linked to by RBC TFSA. I will move $5000 more cash from my personal savings account to my RBC TFSA so that I can access it in Questrade and buy stocks with less fees. I know about the $15000 max I can contribute for 2011. I will only withdraw the amount of money I hope I can make in stocks or keep investing it into other ones. I hope this makes sense.

hamburgler
07-13-2011, 11:51 PM
This is what I mean by fine print:

THE LOW DOWN ON ZERO: The free account transfer offer is available to new and existing clients who transfer an account with another broker into a new or existing Questrade account. A promo code is not required. Payment of transfer-out fees is capped at CAD $150 and is limited to one account type per client. Clients will be required to provide documentation of the transfer-out-fee charged by their previous broker. In such circumstances, payment of the transfer-out-fee will not be processed until such documents are received. Accounts transferred must be a minimum of CAD $25,000 and must remain open with Questrade for a minimum of three months in order to be eligible for the account transfer rebate. This offer may be amended or withdrawn at Questrade’s sole discretion without prior warning. Other trade fees including exchange and ECN fees may apply. This offer is not available in conjunction with any other Questrade offer.