PDA

View Full Version : Leftover rice

Timmeh
07-13-2011, 11:48 PM
Everytime I cook rice, there is a significant amount of rice that gets stuck on the bottom of the rice cooker. I usually soak it in water overnight to get it off. But after I get it off, I realize how much rice is wasted.

Anyone else have this problem? What do you guys do with this rice? I'm not a big fan of making congee, but that's the only solution I can think of.

flipstah
07-14-2011, 12:08 AM
That usually means you're not putting enough water so you're burning it. Either that, or your rice cooker is mad old now.

I would scrape off, fry it with some garlic... BAM! Fried rice. :)

CivicDXR
07-14-2011, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by flipstah
That usually means you're not putting enough water so you're burning it. Either that, or your rice cooker is mad old now.

Garlic fried rice FTW!

desto2para
07-14-2011, 12:40 AM
feed it to the birds? :dunno:

D'z Nutz
07-14-2011, 01:49 AM
Originally posted by Timmeh
Anyone else have this problem?

Nope, that's why I have a non-stick cooker.

Unknown303
07-14-2011, 06:29 AM
Never have this problem. Non-stick cooker and I use a little olive oil to keep the bubbles down as well, makes it super easy to clean and I love putting olive oil on damn near anything so it works out.

I always tend to make more rice than I need though so I always make some fried rice or something along those lines.

Timmeh
07-14-2011, 10:50 PM
Yeah, you can say its "mad old". Guess it's time to get a new one. Thanks.

Kardon
07-14-2011, 10:59 PM
I just realized I must be the only person who cooks rice in a normal pot with a lid, whats the big advantage of the rice cooker?

Quizzes
07-14-2011, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by Kardon
I just realized I must be the only person who cooks rice in a normal pot with a lid, whats the big advantage of the rice cooker?

Set it and forget it!

spacerz
07-14-2011, 11:25 PM

You're not alone, my household does this too. The rice cooker takes too damn long!

Amysicle
07-15-2011, 06:26 AM
Originally posted by Quizzes
Set it and forget it! +1 I've almost set fire to rice before cooking it in a pot on the stove. House was filled with black smoke and there were charcoal black rice bits stuck to the bottom of the pot for weeks!

topmade
07-15-2011, 06:55 AM
What Quizzes said and for consistency because most of them have scales in them so you can see the water level.

Originally posted by spacerz

You're not alone, my household does this too. The rice cooker takes too damn long!
Mine has a quick option which takes about 10 minutes.

Unknown303
07-15-2011, 07:55 AM

I still do front time to time. The normal pot approach works better for me than my rice cooker with wild rice and some larger brown rice.

Lagerstatten.ca
07-15-2011, 08:15 AM
All the new rice cookers can handle wild rice and etc now. Some even have trays to let you steam veggies or dim sum now too!

2Legit2Quit
07-15-2011, 09:06 AM
I use Uncle bens whole grain rice cooked in a pot. Boil water, add rice, leave it for 15 mins oh noesss so hard to do!

spike98
07-15-2011, 09:11 AM
Im a pot rice cooker too. Thats how i was taught by mom when i was young and have done it for the last 20 years. Never even tried a rice cooker in my life.

JfuckinC
07-15-2011, 09:14 AM
i wish i could cook rice

Kritafo
07-15-2011, 09:32 AM
I never had a rice cooker until I was married. I still used a pot until one day. I forgot about the rice and totally ruined a pan..lol. Started using the rice cooker, and never went back. I like the set it and forget it. We just recently bought a new one and I use it for wild and quinoa.

Sometimes I make too much rice just to make rice pudding or rice with whipping cream and pineapple

SilverGS
07-15-2011, 09:56 AM
Some people keep the old cookers because they like the crispy rice it makes on the bottom mmmm crispy rice

Quizzes
07-15-2011, 10:01 AM
I can list a few more advantages with a rice cooker off the top of my head:

1. Don't have to wait for the water to boil
2. No extra measuring cups needed. All cookers will have markings on them
3. Portability. Cook it in any room!
4. Save stovetop space (albeit losing counter space), but you can refer to #3 and cook it in the living room

DENZILDON
07-15-2011, 10:34 AM

Spoken like a true Flip! Lol!!!

OP: If Your buying a rice cooker, get the new ones like this. Maybe a bit expensive for a rice cooker but it cooks very well it doesn't over cook the bottom even if its on warm mode for a long time.

http://www.forumappliances.com/i-2621-Tiger_Rice_Cooker.html

JordanEG6
07-15-2011, 10:55 AM

Top it off with a fried egg and some spam. Then call it a day.

:)

Kloubek
07-15-2011, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by SilverGS
Some people keep the old cookers because they like the crispy rice it makes on the bottom mmmm crispy rice

There's a cereal for that.

GQBalla
07-15-2011, 12:14 PM
yeahhh the fried stuff is good

i used to eat it all the time as a kid on the old rice cookers.

JfuckinC
07-15-2011, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by Kloubek

There's a cereal for that.

hahaha maybe it's my hideous hangover, but i found that really funny :rofl:

Vagabond142
07-15-2011, 01:31 PM
I cook rice in a pot if I want it a specific texture (firmer than what the rice cooker does). If I don't give two fucks, then in the rice cooker it goes :D

Cos
07-15-2011, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by Quizzes
3. Portability. Cook it in any room!

Where do you live that you cook in other places besides your kithcen?

Neil4Speed
07-15-2011, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by Cos

Where do you live that you cook in other places besides your kithcen?

I enjoy having breakfast in bed. I like waking up to the smell of bacon, sue me. And since I don't have a butler, I have to do it myself. So, most nights before I go to bed, I will lay six strips of bacon out on my George Foreman grill. Then I go to sleep. When I wake up, I plug in the grill. I go back to sleep again. Then I wake up to the smell of crackling bacon. It is delicious, it's good for me, it's the perfect way to start the day.

Kardon
07-15-2011, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by Neil4Speed

I enjoy having breakfast in bed. I like waking up to the smell of bacon, sue me. And since I don't have a butler, I have to do it myself. So, most nights before I go to bed, I will lay six strips of bacon out on my George Foreman grill. Then I go to sleep. When I wake up, I plug in the grill. I go back to sleep again. Then I wake up to the smell of crackling bacon. It is delicious, it's good for me, it's the perfect way to start the day.
You should wear socks to bed so you don't burn your feet.

Btw in regards to everybody saying that the set and forget, do you mean it never overcooks? I rarely overcook rice on the stove, 2:1 water to rice ratio, some butter and salt. Dump rice into water when boiling, stir, put lid on, reduce to a simmer + set timer for 20 min and wait. Then remove from heat and let stand with lid on for another 5 min. Works every time but its never very sticky, how does one cook sticky rice?

flipstah
07-15-2011, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by DENZILDON

Spoken like a true Flip! Lol!!!

OP: If Your buying a rice cooker, get the new ones like this. Maybe a bit expensive for a rice cooker but it cooks very well it doesn't over cook the bottom even if its on warm mode for a long time.

http://www.forumappliances.com/i-2621-Tiger_Rice_Cooker.html

Baller rice cooker haha! It would be useful if you're using different grains at times. We only use white so ours is the el-cheapo kind with the pop-up timer.

DENZILDON
07-15-2011, 04:26 PM

Baller rice cooker haha! It would be useful if you're using different grains at times. We only use white so ours is the el-cheapo kind with the pop-up timer.

hahaha, dude, it's soooo worth it. Rice is even good even up to 3 days. It's plugged in 24 hours a day and no over cooking!

calgary403
07-15-2011, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by JordanEG6

Top it off with a fried egg and some spam. Then call it a day.

:)

My G/F does that all the time (She's Vietnamese). I thought it was pretty gross though lol. Maybe it's because I'm white. The whole spam and rice thing was never appealing to me. :dunno: :dunno:

frozenrice
07-15-2011, 06:25 PM
When I was growing up, my parents would sometimes take the crusty leftover rice and wrap/mould it around a Chinese sausage and let meneat it like a hot dog. Other times we'd put the crusty rice in a bowl and add boiled water and season with a bit of soy sauce (kind of like congee).

makeni
07-27-2011, 09:02 AM
I usually make it fried rice. But if you want an alternative way, then try Kimchi Fried Rice Recipe. It is good for much leftover rice. Good luck in searching for new recipes.

Guillermo
07-27-2011, 09:10 AM
i usually just throw mine out, i mean rice only costs like $0.02 :rofl: