PDA

View Full Version : Who assembles brainded lines in town?

Redlyne_mr2
07-14-2011, 10:28 PM
I have some braided lines that I need some aluminum fittings put on to. Who can put them together for me in town? It's a huge pain, I heard mopac might be able to do it.

Thx

AllGoNoShow
07-14-2011, 10:35 PM
Do you have the fittings already as well? It's really not too hard to do yourself, once you get the first fitting or two out of the way, you get the hang of it quick.

If not, I think you are right, Mopac for sure as fittings and I believe they offer assembly.

tomt64
07-14-2011, 11:06 PM
Mopac sell a set of spanners specifically for the an fittings, was just there today. You can do it, do one and you will be happy you did it yourself.

M.alex
07-14-2011, 11:14 PM
I've done dozens of them, it's easy as pie.

Here's the key points

1 - Cut it with braided hose cutters
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-900040/

100% straight and clean cut all the time. Don't waste time with a hacksaw or a dremel or whatever, just chomp it with proper cutters

2 - After it's cut, stick the fitting 1/4 way into the hose and wiggle around. The point of this is to cause the end to flare open a bit. After you've cut it, it will fold a little bit. It's a lot easier to re-open it now then to try when it's inside the fitting. IF you don't re-flare it open, what can happen is, when you're inserting the fitting into the hose, you'll force it and either cause hose push-out or, potentially rip the inside of the hose trying to force the fitting into it.

Then from that point follow this:

http://i708.photobucket.com/albums/ww89/efnfast/How_Install_Braided_SS_Fittings.jpg

I don't bother with aluminum wrenches - use regular wrench wrapped in duct tape. The aluminum wrenches are SMALL (less leverage) and you may have a btich of a time tightening the fitting all the way down. Proper spec is a maximum of 1/32'' between the 2 fittings after tightening them down.

And be certain to buy the vice jaws. They're critical to doing this properly.

There's no way Mopac would assemble it - that's a HUGE liability issue, they arn't licensed mechanics. And even if they did do that, I wouldn't trust it.

dj_honda
07-14-2011, 11:23 PM
the wrenches they sell are expensive. apparently the ideal thing to buy is this: http://www.koultools.com/ but again, expensive.

i've done tons though, just with smooth jaws on a vice, and a crescent wrench with electrical tape on it, and some tape on the fitting.

they are easier to put in if you cut the braided hose cleanly. if the end is frayed then you will have problems. the best way to cut i have found is to wrap it tight with electrical tape about 3 inches long, and then put masking tape over that. then use a cutoff wheel on a grinder or a cutoff saw and cut it straight. i don't have issues with fraying like that.

use wd40 to slide the fitting onto the hose and then just screw it on.

check youtube, tons of videos showing how its done

edit: that cutter m.alex posted is pretty sweet as well and way easier lol. but yeah i haven't had a problem yet.

Redlyne_mr2
07-14-2011, 11:38 PM
the -10 was a breeze, the -6 is a huge pain in the ass. I think Ill swing by mopac to see if they can assemble that one. I dont have a vice/work bench so it's not as easy as just assembling one. Thanks for the tips though guys.

M.alex
07-14-2011, 11:55 PM
Usually (atleast for me) the larger te size the harder it is to assemble. -6 should be cake if you can do -10?

M.alex
07-14-2011, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by dj_honda
the wrenches they sell are expensive. apparently the ideal thing to buy is this: http://www.koultools.com/ but again, expensive.

i've done tons though, just with smooth jaws on a vice, and a crescent wrench with electrical tape on it, and some tape on the fitting.

they are easier to put in if you cut the braided hose cleanly. if the end is frayed then you will have problems. the best way to cut i have found is to wrap it tight with electrical tape about 3 inches long, and then put masking tape over that. then use a cutoff wheel on a grinder or a cutoff saw and cut it straight. i don't have issues with fraying like that.

use wd40 to slide the fitting onto the hose and then just screw it on.

check youtube, tons of videos showing how its done

edit: that cutter m.alex posted is pretty sweet as well and way easier lol. but yeah i haven't had a problem yet.

kooltools is garbage - if you cut the hose properly there's 0 need for it.

However, I get a lot of lolz out of it when they say it's the ONLY tool you need to assemble braided hose, but in every fricken video they're using the aeroquip vice jaws to do stuff! lol

Cooked Rice
07-15-2011, 01:01 AM
Ability Hose down by bullshits. Great shop, drop in, and you're usually out the door in 10 minutes. They do it right then and there for you.

heavyD
07-15-2011, 12:01 PM
Any industrial shop that specializes in hydraulic hoses will do that for you no problem.