PDA

View Full Version : Where Can I Rent/Borrow a Sandblaster?

Abeo
07-15-2011, 12:29 AM
I'm doing some rust repair on a car, and I would like to sandblast some areas before I weld it back together... I bought a little hand-held sandblaster, but it doesn't dig into the pits at all. I've got a small compressor with a 17 gal tank, so I can't use a siphon feed blaster or have one with a ridiculous CFM draw (and I can't move the car, either).

Anyone have one to rent/borrow, or know where they rent them out? I don't have huge areas to cover, maybe 5 sq ft at the most.

Troll-ol
07-17-2011, 12:44 PM
No way to move the car at all? You could then take it to consolidated sand blasting

Abeo
07-17-2011, 01:13 PM
Can't move the car with cut up rockers; they are structural and having it supported on wheels alone would sag/bend the chassis.

I'm just going to cut out a bit further to get to clean metal I guess...

J-hop
07-17-2011, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by Abeo
Can't move the car with cut up rockers; they are structural and having it supported on wheels alone would sag/bend the chassis.

I'm just going to cut out a bit further to get to clean metal I guess...

probably a good plan, seems a huge waste to bother cutting the rockers out if you are going to leave pitted metal anyways, if its fairly bad and in multiple spots you should really be replacing the whole rocker not just sections of it because as you said it is a structural piece and therefore replacing small sections means you are going to have varying structural integrity along the rocker. In an accident, weaker sections may act as failure points and cause nasty results. Just my 2 cents, i'm about to tackle this on one of my cars in the next year or so, rocker is rusted through at only one point on either side but for safety sake and the fact its really no more expensive to replace the whole rocker I'll be doing the whole rocker.

Abeo
07-17-2011, 07:14 PM
I have a whole rocker/floor/lower quarter cut off another car, I'll be putting in at least as much material as stock (and it won't be just spot welded). Rocker isn't that bad, its the pinch weld that I need to fix in a couple spots, and the rocker has to come off for the layers to unpeal.