PDA

View Full Version : Chewing Gum

TheRealTimHorton
07-15-2011, 11:31 AM
I've been interested lately on the benefits of chewing gum and been reading tons of articles, etc.

I've done some self testing (mostly for in-class stuff) and have noticed a remarkable increase in my ability to focus and understand concepts being taught. I have stopped taking notes and instead started listening to prof and understanding the ideas in real time--instead replacing notes with 'thinking' about the stuff and actually using my brain. I feel like its working when I am able to now wrap my head around an idea much faster, follow along, and think ahead as well.

Maybe it's something else, but I notice my mood in general is better and I feel more relaxed. (Actually I am purposefully doing two additional things by eating a good breakfast and drinking just enough coffee to get me wired but not jittery, to optimize performance of course lol--but I think the results are insane from what I'm experiencing).

Apparently the jist of it is chewing gum raises your heart rate ever so slightly and it's just enough to put your left and right brain hemispheres in "synch" allowing them to work together. Also increasing bloodflow to the brain which isn't 100% confirmed apparently as to how this helps with mental performance.

Would be very interested to hear some discussion, thoughts and opinions on the matter.

RickDaTuner
07-15-2011, 11:38 AM
I knew there was a reason why I couldn't learn anything when I was in elementary...

There is an app for the iPhone called neural beats, and it uses alpha and beta waves to increase concentration levels, or just relax you.

I was skeptical about it, but then I tried it, and it was my brain became a sponge and was absorbing everything, and remembering it super well also.

I never really paid attention to chewing gum while learning though, I wonder do you need to be chewing unconsciously for this to work, or does the act of chewing gum raise the heart rate on its own?

shynepho
07-15-2011, 11:48 AM
I always found chewing gum during a test to be helpfull. Helped me stimulate my mind and concentrate better as you described above. Never thought too much about chewing gum to better absorb the information though.

jwslam
07-15-2011, 12:17 PM
That explains why I got stupid... I cut my gum chewing from at least two or three a day down to nothing in the past two/three years.

TheRealTimHorton
07-15-2011, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by jwslam
That explains why I got stupid... I cut my gum chewing from at least two or three a day down to nothing in the past two/three years.

Is this a true story?

Disoblige
07-15-2011, 12:44 PM
I found it more to be a habit.

Chewing gum seems natural while doing an exam and thinking on how to solve a problem.

Similar to as when someone shuffles their feet, taps their feet, or taps their pencil. I just feel like I have to be doing something in order to think in an exam or office work situation.

jwslam
07-15-2011, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by TheRealTimHorton
Is this a true story?

I'm dead serious. I chewed gum so much in first/second year. Then I decided it was becoming an expensive habit. Clearly it didn't pay off when I failed a couple courses.