max_boost
07-15-2011, 05:04 PM
I would keep the truck.

redblack
07-15-2011, 05:06 PM
Keep the truck

dino_martini
07-15-2011, 05:06 PM
Keep the truck and keep saving for a GTI if you have fallen in love with it.

Cos
07-15-2011, 05:07 PM

max_boost
07-15-2011, 05:08 PM
Yea I got a 2010 GTI I can sell you for cheap when it hits 80,000kms in 1 year.

Cos
07-15-2011, 05:12 PM

dino_martini
07-15-2011, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by Cos

I havent though, I am just liking hot hatch cars. I find the GTI to be a bit more luxurious but I find the mini is a way better car to drive.

ah yes sorry I speed read the first part of the post.

kvg
07-15-2011, 05:39 PM
Check you insurance! My friend was about to do the deal on a cooper S and checked his insurance and it was insane. If you do get one get a S or your a girl. NM look at what I drive lol:nut:

Cos
07-15-2011, 05:45 PM

JustinMCS
07-15-2011, 05:48 PM
What year is the MINI? Was the fuel pump issue and cold start issue fixed?

kvg
07-15-2011, 05:53 PM
I change my vote Buy it:thumbsup:

FraserB
07-15-2011, 05:54 PM
Truck

Abeo
07-15-2011, 06:07 PM
What do you use the truck for? Can you use a car to haul stuff instead? Why not upgrade the wife's car to a hot hatch, and have both?

max_boost
07-15-2011, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by Abeo
What do you use the truck for? Can you use a car to haul stuff instead? Why not upgrade the wife's car to a hot hatch, and have both? :werd:

Cos
07-15-2011, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by JustinMCS
What year is the MINI? Was the fuel pump issue and cold start issue fixed?

2007, not that I know of and not that I know of. Since you seem to know a lot about these.... is this thing gonna turn into a money pit? There seems to be a lot of little wrongs with it.

Originally posted by Abeo
What do you use the truck for? Can you use a car to haul stuff instead? Why not upgrade the wife's car to a hot hatch, and have both?

90% of my driving is too and from work on the highway. I go back country camping and do carry stuff from time to time but nothing that I couldnt work around.

The wife gets a new car in 2012 when she graduates from her Masters. Neither of us want her driving a nice new car to the University to get wrecked. She will get either a GTI or a Jeep Wrangler when she graduates (as she says now).

max_boost
07-15-2011, 06:17 PM
Then just wait. 2012 is around the corner.

benyl
07-15-2011, 06:24 PM
Money put after warranty is over. Warranty is a pain with gallery.

I have two Cooper s in the family. One super and one turbo. Fun car, but I would keep the truck. Both coopers have had nothing but problems.

kamakurakid
07-15-2011, 06:26 PM
The Mini is a blast to drive, owning an out of warranty BMW, not so much. You ought to dump the truck, the savings in fuel alone would add up fast. Have you considered the funds you will be sinking into the truck in the next year, combined with fuel costs I think you will find getting the GTI will actually be a wash compared to the truck.

At http://www.fueleconomy.gov I compared a 2010 GTI with a 2009 GMC truck, fuel wise you are saving a grand a year.

Cos
07-15-2011, 06:26 PM
Well after reading this (and NA Motoring and the Mini2 forums) I think I may sae a couple grand for the eventual repairs I am going to need on my F150 (like the spark plugs and the suspension parts). I will see how I feel after the weekend but it just doesnt feel right right now.

I do love my truck I just miss something to rip around in. Perhaps this is a sign for a project car......

Originally posted by kamakurakid
The Mini is a blast to drive, owning an out of warranty BMW, not so much. You ought to dump the truck, the savings in fuel alone would add up fast. Have you considered the funds you will be sinking into the truck in the next year, combined with fuel costs I think you will find getting the GTI will actually be a wash compared to the truck.

At http://www.fueleconomy.gov I compared a 2010 GTI with a 2009 GMC truck, fuel wise you are saving a grand a year.

Yeah in the scheme of things a grand a year is nothing when comparing going from 20k loan to a 35k loan on a GTI. Also I bet the total repairs (worst case and with new winter tires) is going to be in the 3/4k range. I also know guys who have never changed their plugs so that alone would save me 500 - 1000.

My fuel bill is in the neighborhood of $250.00 a month anyways. If you notice both SOAB and Benyl have asked me how I do it in the past so I could be a lot worse off for fuel consumption.

Abeo
07-15-2011, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by Cos
I do love my truck I just miss something to rip around in. Perhaps this is a sign for a project car......

Yup, thats what I ended up doing. Couldn't justify getting rid of the truck, but still wanted something fun to drive.

DeeK
07-15-2011, 06:39 PM
Keep the truck.

I drove a mini around for a while. Worst car ever. I absolutely hated it. For such an expensive car, it's built like crap. Everything is plastic.

ercchry
07-15-2011, 07:00 PM
one more thread about this and i think you are at enrich status :rofl:

tictactoe2004
07-15-2011, 07:05 PM
Keep the truck and go for the project car :thumbsup:

Cos
07-15-2011, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by ercchry
one more thread about this and i think you are at enrich status :rofl:

Lol to be fair I actually was buying these cars though haha. I have the sheet to prove it. Also my posts are separated by months or years not hours or days.

JustinMCS
07-15-2011, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by Cos

2007, not that I know of and not that I know of. Since you seem to know a lot about these.... is this thing gonna turn into a money pit? There seems to be a lot of little wrongs with it.

You would want to check that out. It is out of warranty--so these issues would be at your cost.

They are a dealer fix for both, they may do it out of warranty since it is a known error.

I have a 2005 MCS. The 2007 was the first year for the 2nd gen, so there were a couple problems with them.

My 2005 has 140k on it and all I have had to do is the power steering pump ($700) and regular maintenance. It has been really reliable + excellent in winter.

Xtrema
07-15-2011, 08:03 PM
Keep the truck. I don't trust people enough to drive to Airdrie everyday in a tiny ass car.

Cos
07-15-2011, 09:47 PM
Yeah I am still not 100% convinced that keeping the truck is the right thing for me.... I will see how the weekend goes. Maybe go and test drive a couple other vehicles tomorrow.

Thanks for all the input guys.

SOAB
07-16-2011, 12:39 AM
haha. i would say keep the truck but i want your edge evo. :rofl:

i love my truck. there is very few cars that i would give it up for.

Cos
07-16-2011, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by SOAB
haha. i would say keep the truck but i want your edge evo. :rofl:

i love my truck. there is very few cars that i would give it up for.

See and I dont want a fun car because I dont like my truck. I love my truck I just miss taking corners at a retarded speed and being able to merge into traffic quickly.

Yeah I think a project car may be better. Wont be the cheap option I dont think :nut:

DonJuan
07-16-2011, 09:10 AM
what about if you keep the truck for seasonal use and pick up an older hot hatch?

Older GTI or another hot hatch.

rizfarmer
07-16-2011, 09:13 AM
If u have another beater truck I'd say go for your trade, except don't get the mini- GTI with dsg all the way! You will definitely regret the trade though the first time you want to haul something, need to ram a snow bank in winter etc... Utility of the truck can't be beat. Plus it sounds like you dont want that specific Mini anyhow, there are more reasons it went to a dealer auction than the accident and engine leak

bigbadboss101
07-16-2011, 10:36 AM
How about find a wife/gf who has a fun car and then you have both?

Cos
07-16-2011, 10:55 AM

kvg
07-16-2011, 11:09 AM
E30!!! Super easy to work on, cheap parts, and fun

Shlade
07-17-2011, 08:15 AM
get a foxbody and go to town with it lol

parts are so cheap!

brucebanner
07-17-2011, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by Shlade
get a foxbody and go to town with it lol

parts are so cheap!

I second this, but I might be a bit biased :D

<---:werd:

HiTempguy1
07-17-2011, 09:58 AM
As others have said, you think you'll lose $2k alone on selling the truck. Take that $2k, add another $2k, and you can get a MINT civdork with a b16 swap in it. ALMOST the same hp as a s00percharged cooper s (non JCW package), and you won't have to worry about destroying the strut towers before 150,000kms on Calgary roads. Win-win.

Once you go truck, you never go back. At this point in my life (besides gas mileage), I wish I had something with a box to carry shit around.

Cos
07-17-2011, 10:51 AM

spikerS
07-17-2011, 11:24 AM
dude, keep your truck, you have already put a lot into it making it the way you wanted it.

Having a truck is a good thing, despite what some people on here will say. Having the utility side of the truck is worth it's weight in gold, and in the winter when we get a crap snow storm, you will hate the Mini. I have heard way more bad about servicing them than they are fun to drive.

I think your idea of finding a project car would be a much better route.

Cos
07-17-2011, 11:59 AM

Shlade
07-17-2011, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by bruceod

I second this, but I might be a bit biased :D

&lt;---:werd:

Hopefully Ill be back in one next summer again :) having owned 6 mustangs just isnt enough haha

afif
07-17-2011, 05:59 PM
Mini's are more of a chick car. That's my PERSONAL opinion. I still think they look cool and I love the ambient lighting and cockpit in the new-ish ones. The closest to a manly mini is probably the Cooper S.

Keep the truck.

2002e46
07-20-2011, 01:37 PM
Buy my Mini John Cooper Works! 205 hp and lightening fast cornering and full winter tires/rim package with less than 2000kms on them. Plus the car only has 60,000kms :)

:)

Cos
07-22-2011, 05:25 PM
Okay so I have been speaking to a guy on a 2005 G35 Coupe with the Manual and 133,000km.

The car is from Ontario (so is the guy, confirmed by his cellphone) and is out here for work. He is talking about essentially buying my truck and I buy his car. We are planning on chatting to each other this weekend.

Thoughts? The car is everything that I have been looking for I think. Kind of high KM but I think those VQ engines are pretty strong.

Shlade
07-22-2011, 07:50 PM
I personally think your truck is worth more than that G35..

the Kms would be a deal killer for me. It being from Ontario would also sketch me out due to all the winter salt they toss on the roads.

Dont forget you have to do an OOP for that car too.

Is he wanting to pay cash for your truck and you pay him for his car or are you guys trading?

benyl
07-22-2011, 10:50 PM
Sounds like a scam.

G35 isn't great in the winter.

Nakadah
07-23-2011, 12:07 AM
Hey! How much is he looking for the G35? This deal really looks suspicious! Can you provide more information regarding this dude?

Cheers

MGCM
07-23-2011, 01:13 AM
ever considered a Subaru WRX? They are great to have in winter especially with our roads. Get some studded winter tires and your golden. Plenty of power, well developed chassis, well developed powertrain, decent interior.

Mitsu3000gt
07-23-2011, 01:16 AM
I personally wouldn't compromise on a car that is less than perfect. If you're going to splurge and spend over budget, IMO, it needs to be the perfect car. I wouldn't go above budget for a car with 80,000 KM, scratches, and an accident on the title.

That's just me though and I am ridiculously anal, but if you are at all stretching your budget, IMO it should be because you found the perfect car, not an average one.

As for G35's, I wanted one for a while so I spend a good deal of time researching and driving them. The 2007 sedan (and 2008 coupe) is just SO MUCH better than the previous gen, it ruined all appeal the previous gen had for me. It's literally night and day. Also, the manual transmission on those cars is not great - something is just off. They sell so VERY few manual sedans that the dealer won't even bring them in unless special ordered. It's a little more common on the coupe, but its not a great manual. Another thing I've noticed with every manual G35 I drove - crazy vibration through the shifter. I personally drive with my hand resting on the shifter almost all the time, and it starts to go numb because of the vibrations. It's just not a well done manual IMO, and nowhere near what you'd find on a German car or honda/acura product.

A 2005 G35 coupe manual with high KM is not worth much, ESPECIALLY from out east. I bet your 2009 truck is worth more. Almost every G35 I looked at (especially the coupes) was beat to shit. I would at least not buy/trade for it sight unseen - you would likely get the short end of the stick.

Cos
07-23-2011, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by Shlade
I personally think your truck is worth more than that G35..

the Kms would be a deal killer for me. It being from Ontario would also sketch me out due to all the winter salt they toss on the roads.

Dont forget you have to do an OOP for that car too.

Is he wanting to pay cash for your truck and you pay him for his car or are you guys trading?

Sorry it isnt a straight trade. I would get his car and 7 - 10k in cash. Also the car is out here and registered out here now, it is just from ontario up until recently.

Originally posted by benyl
Sounds like a scam.

G35 isn't great in the winter.

Yeah I am worried about that.

Originally posted by MGCM
ever considered a Subaru WRX? They are great to have in winter especially with our roads. Get some studded winter tires and your golden. Plenty of power, well developed chassis, well developed powertrain, decent interior.

I do like WRX actually but people are asking WAY to much money for them. Early 2000 with 230,000km for 10 grand?!?

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
G35 info....

Thanks for weighing in. I am also very worried about the VQ HighRev engine. I will still look at this car but am pretty convinced I am going to pass.

I am going to just keep looking. This is going to turn into your thread Mistu.... haha

I dont have to sell my truck, I am in the exact same boat as you. I want something fun with a very minimal (or no) debt.

Unknown303
07-23-2011, 09:37 AM
I might have to stop hanging out with you until you decide..... :guns:

Cos
07-23-2011, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by Unknown303
I might have to stop hanging out with you until you decide..... :guns:

Lol then I will rush it and you will have to listen to me bitch after the fact.

Hey at least it is only one thread. :dunno: :dunno:

Unknown303
07-23-2011, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by Cos

Lol then I will rush it and you will have to listen to me bitch after the fact.

Hey at least it is only one thread. :dunno: :dunno:

Plus I also forgot about the BBQ today, and I want BBQ... :facepalm:

Cos
07-25-2011, 10:04 PM

JustinMCS
07-25-2011, 10:14 PM
Where did you look at the IS350?

Cos
07-25-2011, 10:17 PM

Neil4Speed
07-26-2011, 07:12 AM
Originally posted by Cos

I actually quite liked the IS350 and the Mini Cooper S. I have made offers on both but the IS350 was an &quot;interesting experience&quot;. I was told in the nicest way possible by the sales manager to stop wasting anymore of their time and to leave. The Mini S is actually a deal that was close to being done, just a mix of having a lower trade in value and a few issues with the car (which makes me worried as reliability is a bit of a question mark anyways).

I want to thank the guys at Airdrie Honda (Patrick and Wayne were awesome) and JDMXSI for helping me out a ton on the Mini and even helping me look for a newer better condition one.

If anyone still wants to trade let me know as I wont stop looking. I think I am back to the project car idea though so if anyone wants to trade a cool project car for a motorbike let me know.

My experiences with Mini Cooper S's has been nightmarish. There is a reason why they have been at close to the bottom (if not bottom) of consumer reports initial quality ratings. My ex-girlfriend owned one and had numerous issues, many of which were in the end unresolved. Long story short, she was told not to drive the car when the temperature went below -25.

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?threadid=250708

They are fun cars to drive, and feel really solid otherwise.

Cos
07-26-2011, 11:35 AM

Masked Bandit
07-26-2011, 12:09 PM
I can't believe you're giving up already.

Unknown303
07-26-2011, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit
I can't believe you're giving up already.

I hear you MB, he's a quiter, always has and always will be.

max_boost
07-26-2011, 12:35 PM
It makes sense to just keep the truck.

Masked Bandit
07-26-2011, 03:42 PM
Come on Cos, all those salesmen out there just standing around waiting to show you their finest, cleanest previously enjoyed cars...how can you resist?

benyl
07-26-2011, 04:17 PM
I would never give up my truck for a Mini...

My F150 can drive over a mini. Haha.

TheRealTimHorton
07-26-2011, 04:27 PM
I can feel Cos on considering a Mini. If you guys have ripped around in one they are fun as all hell.

I've been watching the thread and was really hoping you would go for the Mini haha.

*Edit. Just Curious Cos, but you never mentioned what kind of truck you have..

Xtrema
07-26-2011, 04:39 PM
IS350 has not aged well, especially the interior.

Cos
07-26-2011, 07:00 PM

Aleks
07-26-2011, 07:19 PM
I like the IS350/F but damn that car is so small inside. I think mini has more room in the back.

max_boost
07-28-2011, 03:35 AM
The problem is choice my friend. And here's why:

You love your truck and has admitted so. Changing it for a Mini, you are already anticipating regret and will most likely regret it at some point.

You have an escalation of expectations thinking the Mini will be more fun, it's going to provide just that much more of a driving experience.

There are opportunity costs associated with this. Could have kept the truck, pay down some bills, but instead you could end up losing some cash on the truck, be stuck with a Mini where you don't know its history and worst case, you have to pay more money to fix it up.

All this will lead to self blame and that's a disaster my friend.

Test driving all these other cars won't get you anywhere because its resulting in paralysis from over analysis. Too much choice and it's not going to make you any happier.

The solution is simple, stick to the truck and forget about everything, for now.

This isn't really a rant, I just watched a video on the 'Paradox of Choice' and this totally applies. I've been there, done that, many times.

Good luck. Just buy the Mini and get it over with now. :rofl:

Xtrema
07-28-2011, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by Cos
That is too bad. I found that car even more luxurious than a newer C-Class.

C-class has the worst interior material of all the cars in that class. But it's something they fixed in the next gen starting with 2012 model.

Troll-ol
07-28-2011, 11:17 AM
I would for sure keep the truck, because I find mini's quite a gay car. Always see 2 gay dudes or a chick driving them.