PDA

View Full Version : Are JBL speakers any good?

canadian_hustla
07-16-2011, 10:59 AM
Hey guys,

I am looking to upgrade the speakers in my car and I have come across the JBL line. Are these things any good? If not, can you recommend something that would be better?

I have checked a bunch of reviews and everyone raves about how great JBL speakers sound etc. I am particularly interested in a set of 6 x 9's, preferably 3 way, Bestbuy.ca has a pair of JBLP963 for $399.99 however I found the exact same ones on amazon.com and ebay for $100.00.

Also, what is a better speaker? 2 way or 3 way?

What gives?

Thanks,

TE4MFaint
07-16-2011, 11:05 AM
JBL. Junk But Loud.

tictactoe2004
07-16-2011, 11:07 AM
They sound as good as bose :rolleyes:

canadian_hustla
07-16-2011, 11:09 AM
OK, so can you recommend something that would be better? Don't say focals or anything because that doesn't make much sense in my corolla :rolleyes:

TE4MFaint
07-16-2011, 11:11 AM
what sort of sound are you looking for.

bright and forward sounding, or something with more of a nice round a bout sound.

canadian_hustla
07-16-2011, 11:13 AM
I am looking for something that would be crisp and have some bass to it... but not over the top either. I listen to a lot of trance

Alterac
07-16-2011, 11:28 AM
Infinity speakers up front, and some 10's in the back.

canadian_hustla
07-16-2011, 12:07 PM
OK, so what about the Infinity Kappa 6x9 693.9i's in the back?

TE4MFaint
07-16-2011, 12:18 PM
Infinitys are a decent speaker if you dont buy their cheap entry level stuff. Pretty comparable to something like the JL Audio C2's.

Replacing 6x9's youre going to get a decent amount of midbass regardless being a large oval speaker.

TE4MFaint
07-16-2011, 12:20 PM
Quick question however. Are your fronts already replaced or are you only planning on replacing your rear speakers. Just curious. Being the driver of the vehicle, primary focus would be replacing the front speakers with a good set.

canadian_hustla
07-16-2011, 01:07 PM
Well i am planning on replacing both fronts and backs. they are 6 1/2 and 6 x 9 respectively.

Only problem is that I was just taking a look at them and noticed that I am going to have to get them professionally installed. reason being is that it looks like I have to take off the door trim etc.

Cos
07-16-2011, 01:16 PM
You almost always have to take the door off to replace speakers. That is a very easy thing to do. Have you googled "20xx corolla xrs door removal"?

canadian_hustla
07-16-2011, 01:24 PM
i haven't google'd it yet but I will.

So back to the original question, does everyone agree that infinity kappas are the way to go? Or are there any other brands I should be looking at.

btw. I will be buying them off sonicelectronix and it looks like it will cost me $325.00 total for the 6 1/2 and 6 x 9's.

good deal?

Thanks for your help,

BrknFngrs
07-16-2011, 01:30 PM
Can't comment on these speakers specifically, but if you have any friends that work at an electronics store and can swing you a cost or cost+ deal I would try and take advantage of it. The markup on speakers is absolutely insane.

canadian_hustla
07-16-2011, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by BrknFngrs
Can't comment on these speakers specifically, but if you have any friends that work at an electronics store and can swing you a cost or cost+ deal I would try and take advantage of it. The markup on speakers is absolutely insane.

i agree, they are $100/set on ebay... + S/H + brokerage.. .comes out to around the same price

Futureshop is selling each set for over $279

dj_rice
07-16-2011, 01:56 PM
JL Audio. Done

spikerS
07-17-2011, 09:33 AM
back in the day, i used to sell car audio @ soundsurround. got to see the cost of items all the time.

Car audio markup on speakers was like 140+ points. so if something was $100 cost, the retail price was $240. and 140 points was low.

There were those Nuance tower speakers. cost was $625 in the computer, retail was $1899

Maxx Mazda
07-17-2011, 09:58 AM
I've heard lots of systems, and JBL has NEVER impressed me. I'm an Alpine guy myself.

Alterac
07-17-2011, 12:27 PM
I just recommend the kappa's because the sound quality is excelent, but you may find the highs a little Bright (loud), althought you can select -3db on the xovers to compensate for that (assuming you get components, or even the kappa coaxials usually have an adjustment for the tweeter).

Couple them with some subs in the back (10/12's in a sealed box for tight bass, for electronic music) and you are good.

If you dont go with the subs, you will find the infinity's are not as bass heavy as say, the apline type R 6x9's.

triplep
07-26-2011, 12:57 PM
The infinity's are pretty good for bass, but it has to be done right. I ran a pair of 6x9 kappas, and they sounded amazing... mind you I did run them of an amp...

Are you planning on running an amp to the speakers? Because honestly, I assume your deck is running either 18-22 watts rms. Unless you are still running the stock deck. If you upgrade the speakers with the stock deck you will be very very disappointed no matter how much money you spend. If you have an aftermarket deck, I still think you might be disappointed with the overall quality of the sound.

That being said, it looks like Image dynamics has expanded their product line substantially, and I know they make quality subs that sound great. Haven't tested their speaker lines, but if it is anything like their subs, it might be worthwhile to check them out.

Mitsu3000gt
07-26-2011, 01:03 PM
IMO here is the way to go with speakers. I've owned/heard everything on the list as well:

Cheap:
Infinity
JL
CDT "CL" series

Midline:
CDT "HD" series (best bang for the buck by a mile IMO)

High End:
Brax
Focal

And use an amp for whatever you buy, not just a head unit. The difference is night and day.

Mitsu3000gt
07-26-2011, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by triplep
That being said, it looks like Image dynamics has expanded their product line substantially, and I know they make quality subs that sound great. Haven't tested their speaker lines, but if it is anything like their subs, it might be worthwhile to check them out.

I think Image Dynamics is no longer:

http://www.imagedynamicsusa.com/

I have an ID 10" V3 sub (for sale, btw haha) and there is nothing that can touch it for the money. I love their products.

triplep
07-27-2011, 05:00 PM
you can still pick up speakers from wooferetc and some other places I believe.

Kinda sucks, $ for $, their sub products where amazing. Guess you won't get any warranty etc, so should make their products relatively cheap and even better bang for the buck