PDA

View Full Version : My power windows keep blowing fuses

Mar
07-17-2011, 02:01 PM
I just changed my 2005 Civic from roll-up windows to power windows by taking all the equipment out of a donor 2001 Civic Si. I took the complete wiring harness out of the doors and followed that design by making my own harness that would work with my car. Here's how I wired it:

- driver side blue/white to passenger side blue/white
- driver side blue/red to passenger side blue/red
- driver side green/black to passenger side green/black
- passenger side green/black to battery +
- driver side black to ground
- driver side green/white to switched (fuse panel)

here's the schematic of how it should be wired, exactly the same way I just did it.

http://www.danmaher.com/images/22-34A28.jpg

So for a switched power source, I decided to use one of these for my fuse box:

http://www.parts-express.com/images/item_standard/071-580_s.jpg

This lets me piggyback off another fuse while powering both my windows and the original device. Now the original fuses for power windows in my car's owner manual say they are 20 amp for left window and 20 amp for right window. Does this mean that in a factory installed power window setup it would be drawing 40 amps when using both windows? How is it possible to separate them when the schematic shows they both use the same power wire? The Add-A-Circuit instructions say it cannot be plugged into anything exceeding 10 amps so this is obviously what's causing the blowing fuses, correct? The windows need more than 10 amps? Where else can I hook the switched wire?

Modelexis
07-17-2011, 05:09 PM
First of all, are you using a relay as it shows in the wiring diagram.

The two power wires run into the N/O relay contact and the ignition power/ground taps into the relay coil.

From the relay, as it shows in the wiring diagram it MUST be wired straight to the under-hood fuse box at the 50A fuse.

They don't draw 20 amps, if they did, you would draw 40amps with both going and you would blow that 40amp underhood fuse.

I don't know what they draw, but I would guess maybe 5-10a?

You should NOT be plugging the 20a power wires into your fuse box.

ONLY the relay power wire.

The relay coil can be connected to a fuse under the dash. This is because it only needs to have enough current to switch the relay contact closed, so its not even half an amp.

Mar
07-24-2011, 11:46 AM
Actually looking at the schematic again, it looks like the green/black wire gets wired right to fuse number 22 and the green/white wire gets wired to fuse 23 under the dash.

How do I wire into the fuse panel?

Mar
07-26-2011, 10:36 PM
No answer. Okay, where in that schematic do I wire in the green/white and green/black wires? You can see they're supposed to go into fuse slots 22 and 23 and the power is then supplied via the power window relay under the hood. Somehow along that route I need to tap into, where is the proper place? Can I wire into the under hood fuse panel? The under dash fuse panel? Just go straight to the battery?