PDA

View Full Version : first 20k road race

Blacura
07-17-2011, 04:02 PM
My local bike shop is putting on a 20k race this Tuesday. I've always just been a fitness, causal road bike rider. However, watching the tour, combined with a recent "yes man" philosophy, I think I am going to give this a shot.

Obviously a few days is too short to train but does anyone have some tips, I'm putting my ego aside, but I want to do my best. I can do 20k but I've never raced. I'm going to take stuff off like my small pump, under seat bag.

Thanks.

sevewone
07-17-2011, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by Blacura
My local bike shop is putting on a 20k race this Tuesday. I've always just been a fitness, causal road bike rider. However, watching the tour, combined with a recent "yes man" philosophy, I think I am going to give this a shot.

Obviously a few days is too short to train but does anyone have some tips, I'm putting my ego aside, but I want to do my best. I can do 20k but I've never raced. I'm going to take stuff off like my small pump, under seat bag.

Thanks.

20k shouldn't be that bad. I do 13k for cardio before I work out usually 3 times a week. I definitely wouldn't consider myself a hardcore biker, but im also not in bad shape.

TYMSMNY
07-17-2011, 06:01 PM
20k on a road bike is nothing to worry about.

Remove all except maybe a water bottle... and even then.. probably won't need it.

Start near the back and enjoy the race at your own pace.

TheRealTimHorton
07-17-2011, 09:28 PM
Attack that shit man.. You don't enter a race to enjoy it.

Try and kill it. 150%.

When you puke, consider it a boost because now you have less weight and you can bike harder.

oupzwrongthread
07-18-2011, 09:16 AM
If you have to barf on your bike remember to barf to the LEFT, you don't want to get any barf in your drive-train.

Blacura
07-18-2011, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by TheRealTimHorton
Attack that shit man.. You don't enter a race to enjoy it.

Try and kill it. 150%.

When you puke, consider it a boost because now you have less weight and you can bike harder.

Haha thanks man, I'm going to go balls to the wall, puke, and keep going. Gotta start somewhere.

swak
07-18-2011, 11:03 PM
LOL at Drivetrain comment... But really man, briung a water bottle and your game face, don't need a pump or anything like that for such a short race.

Once you get into competitive racing you can only dream of a 20k road race haha..

Good luck man, you'll do just fine!

phreezee
07-28-2011, 08:48 PM
How did your race go?

I'm doing a 40km Time Trial Aug 6: http://jaylapcyclingweekend.blogspot.com/

I did this last year on 5 days of training, and I'm hoping to smash my time this year since I've been commuting with regularity. If anyone is interested, the evening race in downtown is fun to watch and they have free food for participants.

Blacura
07-28-2011, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by phreezee
How did your race go?

I'm doing a 40km Time Trial Aug 6: http://jaylapcyclingweekend.blogspot.com/

I did this last year on 5 days of training, and I'm hoping to smash my time this year since I've been commuting with regularity. If anyone is interested, the evening race in downtown is fun to watch and they have free food for participants.

It was rained out, but Ive been training on my own now since then. Enjoying it, its fun too push your self and see improvements.

Cycling is such a great activity. I want my fitness to get to the point where the burn isnt on my mind and I can just turn off my thoughts and do a 50k meditation.