PDA

View Full Version : New Business Start-Up In Calgary

Pages : [1] 2

Singulari
07-17-2011, 08:22 PM
Hello, everyone. Singulari Here.
I've been thinking of starting a business for quite sometime now. It has to do with vehicle rentals of ultra-luxury and exotic vehicles. So far, I've planned out a fleet of fifteen vehicles ranging from Aston Martins to Rolls Royces. I would like to get Calgary's motor enthusiasts opinions on the fleet of cars.

So far, the fleet looks like this:

Aston Martin V8 Vantage
Aston Martin DB9 Volante
Bentley Continental Flying Spur
Bentley Continental GTC
Chevrolet Corvette (Haven't decided on the trim yet)
Ferrari F430
Fisker Karma
Lamborghini Gallardo Coupe and Spyder
Lamborghini Murcielago Coupe
Maserati GT
Maserati Quattroporte
Nissan GT-R
Porsche 911 (Haven't decided on a particular trim yet... most likely a Carrera Cabriolet)
Rolls-Royce Phantom

I'm just looking for some suggestions.

leftwing
07-17-2011, 08:47 PM
Dont know many people that would rent a corvette, unless its a zr1. Other then that list looks nice.

Maybe think about:
R8
Mercedes AMG - A lot of them are nice, not sure which is top of the line/most coveted.
Maybe find some luxury SUV's not sure which, but maybe a nice hummer or something.

ExtraSlow
07-17-2011, 09:03 PM
what are the economics like on a business like this? How many days a year do you need to have each car rented to pay out?

Xamim
07-17-2011, 09:15 PM
Not much time during the year when you would be able to rent out most of those cars. I mean you could, but chances of someone crashing it during the winter are much higher.

The cars would need to be out pretty much every day during the summer for you to pay them off and start making money. Also, did you factor in maintenance for the cars? They would need it much more frequently than a regular exotic/sports car.

swak
07-17-2011, 09:29 PM
Did you factor in the cost of these cars? You ballin bro??

davidI
07-17-2011, 09:31 PM
I`m not sure what sort of business plan you have in place, but I would start with 4 or 5 cars - maybe...

Aston Martin V8 Vantage
Ferrari F430
Lamborghini Gallardo Coupe
Maserati GT

and see how things go....you`re talking about investing a lot of capital in a depreciating asset and to think that you`ll have all 15 of those cars rented every day in Summer may be overly optimistic. Plus, as has been mentioned, your annual rental window may only be 4-6 months.

I can`t see insurance being cheap either...

J-hop
07-17-2011, 09:31 PM
don't know about the feasibility of this in calgary. Maybe if you planned half your fleet to be winter friendly vehicles it might be viable.

Also what about insurance? that is going to be INSANE lol. I would think something like a high end chauffeur service might be better, then you can rest assured your trained drivers are driving the cars, not just random jabronis off the street. There is a lot of money downtown, i'm sure a lot of oil execs and rich people from out of town would be interested in a service like that. Just a thought

but to add to your list maybe some high end mercedes or bmws?

Also, just out of curiosity how are you going to raise money for this endeavor. I would have thought if this kind of money could easily be drummed up around here, something like this would have already been attempted.

Nakadah
07-17-2011, 10:16 PM
No, this is not going to work.

You first need an appropriate location where you can safely store your vehicles. This location needs to be in a good area of the city in order to look trustful. Cost for one of these is pretty high

Next on becomes the problem with the cars. You will be offering high end vehicles and presumably they will be brand new, but once 3-4 years run off your vehicles will not be new and you will need to buy cars again. But before that happen the cars must have been paid off and you must have a solid profit for the kind of work you are doing and the stress you are exposed to.

Next comes on Insurance and Maintenance. You insurance will be through the roof because, 1) the cars are pretty damn expensive and 2) because pretty much anybody will be driving them. And I bet you that somebody will try to steal your cars, and they ain't going to be amateurs when at stake are such cars.

I know that a friend of mine is changing the clutch on his Ferrari every 5k-10k km, and it is $15k. I do not know if the clutch is $15k or the work done, but it doesn't really matter in this case.

Then comes the problem with the roads and the drivers. Roads are not that great, and people cannot feel the car. It is my observation that if there is a hole on the road a driver will not drive around it, the driver will go through it. Such cars must be driven carefully which I guarantee you that will never happen.

In Calgary not many people can drive. They can't handle a normal car, what do you expect for a car that will be 500hp? I bet you they are going to crash it on the way out of the driveway.

Then, if I am willing to pay say $2000-$3000(just to mention a number) to rent a vehicle which ain't going to happen I will be very, very picky on the car. For example I will not be willing to rent any of the cars that you have already mentioned.

Then you have all kind of problems such as police, driving license, staff, detailing and so forth just to name a few.

Sugarphreak
07-17-2011, 10:18 PM

MrSector9
07-17-2011, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by Singulari
I would like to get Calgary's motor enthusiasts opinions on the fleet of cars.

Looks like a great list, as long as like above the Corvette was the top of the line sorta deal.

M.alex
07-17-2011, 10:24 PM
Didn't somebody bring this idea up last year?

guessboi
07-17-2011, 10:35 PM
not sure if you have a business plan or not but this will not work. +1 with all of the reasons already mentioned.

Singulari
07-18-2011, 12:26 AM
Originally posted by leftwing
Dont know many people that would rent a corvette, unless its a zr1. Other then that list looks nice.

Maybe think about:
R8
Mercedes AMG - A lot of them are nice, not sure which is top of the line/most coveted.
Maybe find some luxury SUV's not sure which, but maybe a nice hummer or something.

Looked into luxury SUV's. I drive one myself and I don't see a market for this. Looked into Mercedes and there is already a business in Calgary who provides them and I do not want to enter as a competitor on a direct level.
R8, for the price, It's not a viable option.

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
what are the economics like on a business like this? How many days a year do you need to have each car rented to pay out?

I've figured this out already, this wasn't part of the question.

Originally posted by Xamim
Not much time during the year when you would be able to rent out most of those cars. I mean you could, but chances of someone crashing it during the winter are much higher.

The cars would need to be out pretty much every day during the summer for you to pay them off and start making money. Also, did you factor in maintenance for the cars? They would need it much more frequently than a regular exotic/sports car.

During the winter, it will be under special circumstances that the vehicle will be authorized to be rented out. I've factored in maintenance for the cars.

Originally posted by swak
Did you factor in the cost of these cars? You ballin bro??

Yes

Originally posted by J-hop
don't know about the feasibility of this in calgary. Maybe if you planned half your fleet to be winter friendly vehicles it might be viable.

Also what about insurance? that is going to be INSANE lol. I would think something like a high end chauffeur service might be better, then you can rest assured your trained drivers are driving the cars, not just random jabronis off the street. There is a lot of money downtown, i'm sure a lot of oil execs and rich people from out of town would be interested in a service like that. Just a thought

but to add to your list maybe some high end mercedes or bmws?

Also, just out of curiosity how are you going to raise money for this endeavor. I would have thought if this kind of money could easily be drummed up around here, something like this would have already been attempted.

It is feasible. Insurance has been taken care of.
Chauffeur service will be available.
Again, looked into BMWs and Mercedes and having spoken to similar businesses across Canada and the U.S., I will not be providing them.

Originally posted by davidI
I`m not sure what sort of business plan you have in place, but I would start with 4 or 5 cars - maybe...

Aston Martin V8 Vantage
Ferrari F430
Lamborghini Gallardo Coupe
Maserati GT

and see how things go....you`re talking about investing a lot of capital in a depreciating asset and to think that you`ll have all 15 of those cars rented every day in Summer may be overly optimistic. Plus, as has been mentioned, your annual rental window may only be 4-6 months.

I can`t see insurance being cheap either...

I've taken care of depreciation. Won't be as high as you may think. I don't expect them to be rented out everyday.
I've planned the business based on multiple worst case scenarios... Pages of them.
Insurance isn't cheap, but it is fair.

Originally posted by Nakadah
No, this is not going to work.

You first need an appropriate location where you can safely store your vehicles. This location needs to be in a good area of the city in order to look trustful. Cost for one of these is pretty high

Next on becomes the problem with the cars. You will be offering high end vehicles and presumably they will be brand new, but once 3-4 years run off your vehicles will not be new and you will need to buy cars again. But before that happen the cars must have been paid off and you must have a solid profit for the kind of work you are doing and the stress you are exposed to.

Next comes on Insurance and Maintenance. You insurance will be through the roof because, 1) the cars are pretty damn expensive and 2) because pretty much anybody will be driving them. And I bet you that somebody will try to steal your cars, and they ain't going to be amateurs when at stake are such cars.

I know that a friend of mine is changing the clutch on his Ferrari every 5k-10k km, and it is $15k. I do not know if the clutch is $15k or the work done, but it doesn't really matter in this case.

Then comes the problem with the roads and the drivers. Roads are not that great, and people cannot feel the car. It is my observation that if there is a hole on the road a driver will not drive around it, the driver will go through it. Such cars must be driven carefully which I guarantee you that will never happen.

In Calgary not many people can drive. They can't handle a normal car, what do you expect for a car that will be 500hp? I bet you they are going to crash it on the way out of the driveway.

Then, if I am willing to pay say $2000-$3000(just to mention a number) to rent a vehicle which ain't going to happen I will be very, very picky on the car. For example I will not be willing to rent any of the cars that you have already mentioned.

Then you have all kind of problems such as police, driving license, staff, detailing and so forth just to name a few.

Location has already been chosen.
There are multiple revenue streams in order for me to keep it sustainable.
The insurance rates I'll be receiving will have nothing to do with the value of the vehicle. I was puzzled myself upon hearing about this at first too.
A Lotus Elise or a Lamborghini Murcielago will cost the same to insure.
If it is costing him $15k to get it replaced, needless to say, he is getting ripped off.
I'm sure when you're depositing a large sum to cover possible damages, the drivers will most likely avoid the holes.
As for the rental, that is your personal preference. Not everyone will be as selective as you are.
Prices will not exceed $2000/rental.
Yes, I have factored all of those as well.

Originally posted by Sugarphreak
Some cheaper exotics might be good as well; such as Porsche Cayman, Lotus Elise & Evora....

...on a side note; are you renting them out just for weddings and special events, or can people take these to the track or autocross and bag on them for a day? :dunno:

I've looked into them and right now, they aren't what i am looking for. I have looked into lotuses, luxury suvs, mercedes and bmws and currently, I won't be providing them based on feedback from other business owners and motor enthusiasts.

The weddings and special events are a supplement to this business, not what the business is shaped around.
No, they will not be able to be used on the racetrack at the present moment.

Originally posted by MrSector9

Looks like a great list, as long as like above the Corvette was the top of the line sorta deal.

Not sure what you are saying. The corvette will be the cheapest at under $500.

Originally posted by M.alex
Didn't somebody bring this idea up last year?

Yes.

Originally posted by guessboi
not sure if you have a business plan or not but this will not work. +1 with all of the reasons already mentioned.

I do.

Thank you for the constructive criticisms everyone.
The answer I'm looking for is more oriented to the selection of cars in the fleet though.

roll_over
07-18-2011, 12:34 AM
nsx... it is beyond bro

Davex
07-18-2011, 03:58 AM
couple s2b000's with turbo's. i'd rent one

Danny Meehan
07-18-2011, 04:38 AM
... some more tamed options are welcomed :

Audi A8
Cadilac CTS V
Porsche Panamera

R-Audi
07-18-2011, 10:41 AM
I think the list of cars looks pretty damn good.. you have a wide spectrum of cars! Maybe a Spyker?
Im not sure how an R8 doesnt fit in on the price category.. its pretty simiar or cheaper then most on the list.

Mitsu3000gt
07-18-2011, 11:13 AM
My only suggestion would be to ditch the convertibles for the coupe models.

Maybe it's just me but in Calgary it's either that the weather is too shitty for the top to be down, or it's so hot that you just want the top up and A/C on.

As for your Porsche, make it the Turbo S with the PDK, not a regular Carerra Cabriolet. Maybe a second regular Porsche as well (Cayman S or Carerra S/4S). I think the Porsches would be fairly popular as they wouldn't be as expensive to rent as the ultra-exotics, so you may want to have more than 1. If you do just have 1, make it a good one (911 Turbo S w/PDK).

And lastly, people are going to absolutely BAG THE SHIT out of your rental cars. Unless you already have, you can probably budget for double or triple the regular maintenance schedules. Clutches, tires, brakes, transmissions, etc. aren't going to last long, I doubt. The sole reason most people will be renting your cars is to have as much "fun" in them as possible during the rental period. If there is all sorts of liability, restrictions, etc. to what people can do with the cars, nobody will want to rent them because they will be paranoid of the repair costs, defeating the purpose of the rental in the first place.

X_EVO_X
07-18-2011, 11:20 AM
Hilarious how people respond hey. The list looks good man, and good luck with this idea. Its funny when people say you cant do something how it makes you want to make it work even more.

94boosted
07-18-2011, 11:21 AM

I've factored in maintenance for the cars.

Are you sure? Not trying to doubt you here but honestly if I were to rent one of these cars (and I'm sure a lot of other enthusiaists would do the same) the first thing I would probably do is try out a hard launch to see if I really can hit 0-60 in 3.XX Seconds and then I would try it again and again and again..... And then bring you back a car that's one launch away from needing a new transmission/differential. Did you factor that in? It's one thing to closely inspect the exterior condition of the vehicle before renting it even checking tread depth but it's another to check to see how hard the car is being driven while it's rented.

As for your original question in my opinion:

Aston Martin V8 Vantage - Make it the V12
Aston Martin DB9 Volante - Nice choice
Bentley Continental Flying Spur - Ok
Bentley Continental GTC - Ok
Chevrolet Corvette (Haven't decided on the trim yet) - ZR1 or bust
Ferrari F430 - Why not the 458, looks like cost isn't an issue
Fisker Karma - Cool enough
Lamborghini Gallardo Coupe and Spyder - Good
Lamborghini Murcielago Coupe - Good
Maserati GT - Good
Maserati Quattroporte - Why
Nissan GT-R - Good
Porsche 911 (Haven't decided on a particular trim yet... most likely a Carrera Cabriolet) - GT3RS or 911T
Rolls-Royce Phantom - Ok

Sugarphreak
07-18-2011, 11:22 AM

spikerS
07-18-2011, 11:24 AM
hey, if you have the financial backing, do it. There have been enough threads on beyond asking for services like this in Calgary.

I would be interested in renting a gallardo or the DB9, but I, like many, will drive these like they are meant to be driven. Problem is, most people won't know how to handle that kind of power, and these will probably end up in the shop fairly often.

Just wondering, have you factored in the loss of use while these are in the shop being repaired / maintenance / police investigations? Yeah, police investigations, you know it is going to happen...

Nakadah
07-18-2011, 11:28 AM
I'm sure when you're depositing a large sum to cover possible damages, the drivers will most likely avoid the holes.

Not everyone will be as selective as you are. Prices will not exceed $2000/rental.

So, from what you are saying I will pay $2000 for rent for a certain amount of time, and then I will have to deposit even bigger amount of money as damage deposit? And how the heck am I going to come with that kind of CASH?

If you making this business only for the bosses that work in the oil and gas companies then you are broke. Why? Because they can afford to buy one of these cars and will not rent it out.

And you are assuming that when the customer is in expensive car they will drive around the holes, but this is very very wrong! You will never change their driving habits.

I, for instance, avoid all obstacle no matter whether I am in a Porsche or my dad's rusty Ford that has 430 000km and I am hoping that it breaks down so that he finally starts driving his new car.

Don't just assume that people are not picky! They are very very picky! Your car selection might be good, but when somebody wants to rent a dream car for that amount of money then they are very picky because they want THEIR DREAM CAR.

And you never answered how you are going to protect the cars from theft.

And as people mentioned already, why does Audi R8 not fit in the list of cars?

You need so much thinking and observation... If you want to see this business in action with a few differences then you should travel to my country of origin.

I forgot, how are you going to get your starting capital?

Skyline_Addict
07-18-2011, 11:33 AM
I'd rent a GT3 RS

TheRealTimHorton
07-18-2011, 11:46 AM
For the people who will "bag the shit" out of the car I think there is a simple solution.

Computer logs exist for cars (I think initially designed for big companies safety policies). Can probably calibrate for ANYTHING (even G meters) and will send an e-mail or however you want to set it up as an alert.

Charge them an "abuse of motorvehicle" fee if they are not driving in a reasonable manner, subject to your discretion.

And for the people who say there isn't a market, well, there IS a market. Maybe not so huge in Calgary. But with money travel, and I guarantee you they don't bring their fleet of exotics with them. They will want to drive something baller and they have cash to spend.

My first step would be to contact a market research company and try to get some statistics on whether it will be worth your time in Calgary. Vancouver I would think is more feasible as it is a vacation hotspot.

94boosted
07-18-2011, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by TheRealTimHorton
For the people who will "bag the shit" out of the car I think there is a simple solution.

Computer logs exist for cars (I think initially designed for big companies safety policies). Can probably calibrate for ANYTHING (even G meters) and will send an e-mail or however you want to set it up as an alert.

Charge them an "abuse of motorvehicle" fee if they are not driving in a reasonable manner, subject to your discretion.

So your suggesting that people rent these high end exotics and then drive them like their grandmas car? If I am going to spend $2000 to rent an exotic for a day I want to drive it the way it was meant to be driven, not necessarily "bag the shit out of it" but you can bet it won't be an easy day for the car. If you make it so that if someone drives the car hard they get an abuse of motor vehicle fee :nut: Congratulations you just got rid of the 90% of your clientele who want to drive a supercar like a supercar now your just down to the 10% of poseurs who want to show off and look flashy down 17th ave.

TheRealTimHorton
07-18-2011, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by 94boosted

So your suggesting that people rent these high end exotics and then drive them like their grandmas car? If I am going to spend $2000 to rent an exotic for a day I want to drive it the way it was meant to be driven, not necessarily "bag the shit out of it" but you can bet it won't be an easy day for the car. If you make it so that if someone drives the car hard they get an abuse of motor vehicle fee :nut: Congratulations you just got rid of the 90% of your clientele who want to drive a supercar like a supercar now your just down to the 10% of poseurs who want to show off and look flashy down 17th ave.

You are an idiot. I'm not even responding to this.

dimi
07-18-2011, 01:02 PM
Cool line up of cars. If the Vette was around $500 and was at least a Z06 I'd give it a whirl. I would moreso focus on the viability of such business, the car lineup is not that important.

I don't think this is a great idea. A Z06 is what almost $100,000 I think? So you would have to rent it out for 200 days just to start breaking even, without any operating costs. Combine that with a very short summer as someone mentioned (after gravel swept off the roads to avoid dings/scratches) and you would have to have these rented out almost every day. Highly unlikely that would happen IMO.

How you are gonna get capital is also interesting. That's a lot of money for that lineup of cars.

Good luck though.

94boosted
07-18-2011, 01:29 PM

I'd be curious to hear your response; it's always nice corresponding with a genius. Clearly you must know a lot more about the car enthusiast demographic than I do.

M.alex
07-18-2011, 01:41 PM

So, from what you are saying I will pay $2000 for rent for a certain amount of time, and then I will have to deposit even bigger amount of money as damage deposit? And how the heck am I going to come with that kind of CASH?

credit card deposit.

jdmXSI
07-18-2011, 01:42 PM
I could see this possibly working if you marketed/ advertised in other cities and in the major airline companies magazines. I could see someone in on business that would like something nice to drive while they are here or even a person locally needing to impress clients.

To answer your question:

I know you said no to BMW's and Mercedes but what about like a B7 Alpina or a Z8 Alpina for BMW? Or any Black Series for Mercedes?

Mitsu3000gt
07-18-2011, 01:48 PM

And for the people who say there isn't a market, well, there IS a market. Maybe not so huge in Calgary. But with money travel, and I guarantee you they don't bring their fleet of exotics with them. They will want to drive something baller and they have cash to spend.

My first step would be to contact a market research company and try to get some statistics on whether it will be worth your time in Calgary. Vancouver I would think is more feasible as it is a vacation hotspot.

I get what you're saying, but telling people they can drive hard, but not TOO hard, etc. makes it very subjective. Where are the lines drawn? If "abusive driving" charges are expensive, people are going to be so paranoid to drive the cars they are paying big bucks to rent in case they accidentally hit a rev limiter, pull 0.1 too many G's, etc. They won't enjoy the car because all they'll be thinking about is trying to avoid charges, and every trip back to the rental shop is going to be an argument, the customer might try blame it on the car or something, etc. Just seems like a massive headache to put restrictions like that in place. Maybe their insurance covers this? I don't know.

I personally would never even dream of renting a car if there was a significant charge for driving it harder in any way than the rental company subjectively deemed "too hard". If it wasn't subjective, and relied on instruments or loggers, people will drive the cars like old ladies because they will be so scared of accidentally hitting one of the limits and getting dinged with a huge fine. That defeats the entire purpose, IMO.

I wouldn't rent an exotic to put around town in, if I had just paid $2000 for a Ferrari for a day I'd certainly be driving it like a Ferrari should be driven whenever possible.

whiskas
07-18-2011, 01:48 PM
Think about tossing in an early model Mustang or a Shelby GT500. Since it's Calgary there are probably a few clients out there that would prefer a muscle car over a luxury car.

94boosted
07-18-2011, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

I wouldn't rent an exotic to put around town in, if I had just paid $2000 for a Ferrari for a day I'd certainly be driving it like a Ferrari should be driven whenever possible.

Case in point. Thank you.

M.alex
07-18-2011, 02:03 PM

That's a pretty stupid statement though - we're talking about a street Ferrari, not an F1 ferrari ... it isn't meant to be redlined 24/7 going WOT down Deerfoot.

No - you just want to rent the car and beat the shit out of it because it isn't your own car and you don't have to worry about damaging it.

max_boost
07-18-2011, 02:09 PM
This is such risky business but good luck. :nut:

Maybe you can build a private track for us to go on high speed runs too. :D

911 Turbo S, PDK please. :burnout:

Cos
07-18-2011, 02:25 PM
Get this going before my wedding on August 20th and I will rent a Vette or Porsche from you. I just want to get my ass to the wedding in it (around 2 or 3), use it for some photos, and then someone will return it around 7 or 8pm.

Mitsu3000gt
07-18-2011, 03:22 PM

That's a pretty stupid statement though - we're talking about a street Ferrari, not an F1 ferrari ... it isn't meant to be redlined 24/7 going WOT down Deerfoot.

No - you just want to rent the car and beat the shit out of it because it isn't your own car and you don't have to worry about damaging it.

Sorry if I wasn't clear, but I don't mean ripping down deerfoot at 300km/h just because the car is capable.

You can bet I would be shifting a little later than usual though to hear the sweet music from the motor, and having a little more fun in the corners than I usually do. I would definitely want to be driving the car as hard as I felt comfortable doing, without breaking too many laws. I certainly wouldn't be shifting at 3000 RPM every single time.

What if the 10 guys before me bagged the car super hard, and I was the unlucky guy to be driving it when the engine blew up?. How would you determine fault? It just seems like there would be so many highly subjective/discretionary issues that would cause non-stop arguments between the client and the business if there were certain limits put in place.

Singulari
07-18-2011, 03:35 PM

Who is your target clientele then?

Won't release that information.
The business will be sustainable due to multiple revenue streams. Not just rentals.

Originally posted by spikers
hey, if you have the financial backing, do it. There have been enough threads on beyond asking for services like this in Calgary.

I would be interested in renting a gallardo or the DB9, but I, like many, will drive these like they are meant to be driven. Problem is, most people won't know how to handle that kind of power, and these will probably end up in the shop fairly often.

Just wondering, have you factored in the loss of use while these are in the shop being repaired / maintenance / police investigations? Yeah, police investigations, you know it is going to happen...

If you want to rent the Gallardo or the DB9, it will be under $1500 for you. (Beyond Discount ;) ) After I start up, I hope to become a Beyond forum sponsor.
Yes, I have factored in the loss of use.

If you making this business only for the bosses that work in the oil and gas companies then you are broke. Why? Because they can afford to buy one of these cars and will not rent it out.

And you are assuming that when the customer is in expensive car they will drive around the holes, but this is very very wrong! You will never change their driving habits.

I, for instance, avoid all obstacle no matter whether I am in a Porsche or my dad's rusty Ford that has 430 000km and I am hoping that it breaks down so that he finally starts driving his new car.

Don't just assume that people are not picky! They are very very picky! Your car selection might be good, but when somebody wants to rent a dream car for that amount of money then they are very picky because they want THEIR DREAM CAR.

And you never answered how you are going to protect the cars from theft.

And as people mentioned already, why does Audi R8 not fit in the list of cars?

You need so much thinking and observation... If you want to see this business in action with a few differences then you should travel to my country of origin.

I forgot, how are you going to get your starting capital?

The most expensive vehicle in the fleet will be $2000. The prices range from $400-$2000.
The rental period is 24 hours.
Yes, you will have to either put down a damage deposit or if you have "Legal Liability for a Non Owned Auto" (the SEF 27 in insurance terms), which provides collision and comprehensive (fire, theft, windstorm hail, etc.) coverage for your temporary substitute vehicle, which would be the rental car itself in this case.
If I was providing this for the bosses that work in oil companies, why would I be asking for Beyond's opinion?
They are part of my target market and because of the incentives that I can provide from this business, I am quite confident that they would come to me for a solution rather than purchasing a car. Why would I limited my revenue stream to a certain demographic? That makes no sense.
I also agree that while I can not change their driving habits, I can provide them with a warning that won't scare the clients off.
I am not assuming that people aren't picky. I was stating that not EVERYONE will be as picky as the previous poster.
I don't need to explain how I am going to protect them from theft. It has been taken care of.
I can not disclose why but you will understand if you read the business plan.
Don't worry about the starting capital.

Originally posted by Skyline_Addict
I'd rent a GT3 RS

Okay.

Computer logs are part of it, yes.
You can actually calibrate G metres.
I will not charge an abuse of motor vehicle fee.
I agree with you, there definitely is a market. It is why I am starting it here. You may not believe that Calgary has a huge market but you will be quite surprised at the level of demand there is in Calgary.
I have finished the marketing research. The business plan is done.

No, I've never stated that they should drive like their grand mother's vehicle. You can drive it the way it's meant to be driven. There is a difference between abuse and idiot abuse.
Regarding the clientele theory, I doubt that you have much business experience.

I did.

Originally posted by dimi
Cool line up of cars. If the Vette was around $500 and was at least a Z06 I'd give it a whirl. I would moreso focus on the viability of such business, the car lineup is not that important.

I don't think this is a great idea. A Z06 is what almost $100,000 I think? So you would have to rent it out for 200 days just to start breaking even, without any operating costs. Combine that with a very short summer as someone mentioned (after gravel swept off the roads to avoid dings/scratches) and you would have to have these rented out almost every day. Highly unlikely that would happen IMO.

How you are gonna get capital is also interesting. That's a lot of money for that lineup of cars.

Good luck though.
Vette will be $400. I am thinking ZR1 now just because of the fact that average joes would rather rent lamborghinis than corvettes and with corvette enthusiasts, they would prefer a ZR1. I wanted to steer clear of the ZR1 as there is no option for an automatic gearbox. You don't need to worry about operating costs or maintenance.
I do not expect them to be rented out almost every day as previously stated.

credit card deposit.

Yes. It won't be charged onto the card, it will only be preauthorized.

Originally posted by jdmXSI
I could see this possibly working if you marketed/ advertised in other cities and in the major airline companies magazines. I could see someone in on business that would like something nice to drive while they are here or even a person locally needing to impress clients.

To answer your question:

I know you said no to BMW's and Mercedes but what about like a B7 Alpina or a Z8 Alpina for BMW? Or any Black Series for Mercedes?

Part of who I am targeting.
I will think about them as additions to the fleet once I launch the business.

I get what you're saying, but telling people they can drive hard, but not TOO hard, etc. makes it very subjective. Where are the lines drawn? If "abusive driving" charges are expensive, people are going to be so paranoid to drive the cars they are paying big bucks to rent in case they accidentally hit a rev limiter, pull 0.1 too many G's, etc. They won't enjoy the car because all they'll be thinking about is trying to avoid charges, and every trip back to the rental shop is going to be an argument, the customer might try blame it on the car or something, etc. Just seems like a massive headache to put restrictions like that in place. Maybe their insurance covers this? I don't know.

I personally would never even dream of renting a car if there was a significant charge for driving it harder in any way than the rental company subjectively deemed "too hard". If it wasn't subjective, and relied on instruments or loggers, people will drive the cars like old ladies because they will be so scared of accidentally hitting one of the limits and getting dinged with a huge fine. That defeats the entire purpose, IMO.

As stated before, no abusive fees will apply.
I understand your concern and I will personally promise that there will be little to no hassles to rent the vehicles or give you headaches, rather more smiles.
Customer service is my top priority in this venture.
There will still be computers logging the condition of the vehicle but that doesn't mean I'll stop you from driving the cars as you like.

Originally posted by whiskas
Think about tossing in an early model Mustang or a Shelby GT500. Since it's Calgary there are probably a few clients out there that would prefer a muscle car over a luxury car.

Will explore that option.

Originally posted by max_boost
This is such risky business but good luck. :nut:

Maybe you can build a private track for us to go on high speed runs too. :D

911 Turbo S, PDK please. :burnout:

Risk is actually quite low. Made it possible to reduce risk as much as possible.
Perhaps. I have been thinking of making that a possibility.

Originally posted by Cos
Get this going before my wedding on August 20th and I will rent a Vette or Porsche from you. I just want to get my ass to the wedding in it (around 2 or 3), use it for some photos, and then someone will return it around 7 or 8pm.

I hope to start by then. If not, it will have to be sometime next year. If I do start up before your wedding, I have a special offer for you.

Singulari
07-18-2011, 03:40 PM

Sorry if I wasn't clear, but I don't mean ripping down deerfoot at 300km/h just because the car is capable.

You can bet I would be shifting a little later than usual though to hear the sweet music from the motor, and having a little more fun in the corners than I usually do. I would definitely want to be driving the car as hard as I felt comfortable doing, without breaking too many laws. I certainly wouldn't be shifting at 3000 RPM every single time.

What if the 10 guys before me bagged the car super hard, and I was the unlucky guy to be driving it when the engine blew up?. How would you determine fault? It just seems like there would be so many highly subjective/discretionary issues that would cause non-stop arguments between the client and the business if there were certain limits put in place.

As part of our policies, if the car breaks down during your rental, you will receive a replacement vehicle available in our fleet. If it is a mechanical failure, we will not take the damage deposit. The damage deposit covers the interior of the vehicle as well as the exterior. If anything else goes wrong, you will not be held liable and one of our transporters will deliver the vehicle right to your location.

R-Audi
07-18-2011, 03:42 PM
The exotic rental places in Vegas claim to have full logging software for vehicle abuse, not sure how extensive it actually is. I cant imagine its that tough to have something installed.

Mitsu3000gt
07-18-2011, 03:44 PM
That all sounds pretty good actually, assuming everything works like you say it will.

What about mileage? With other exotic rentals, I think you get 100-200 miles then $1-$2 per mile after that, which can double the cost of the rental pretty quick if you want to actually use the car as much as possible in your 24 hour period.

The flip side of this, is you probably don't want people driving to Vancouver and back every time they rent one of your cars, so what is the best way to handle the mileage part of it?

Skyline_Addict
07-18-2011, 03:45 PM
how much to rent a GT3 RS? :D

94boosted
07-18-2011, 03:59 PM

No, I've never stated that they should drive like their grand mother's vehicle.

That comment was not directed towards you.

You can drive it the way it's meant to be driven. There is a difference between abuse and idiot abuse.

Do you care to explain this. Take for instance a car with launch control like the GTR. If the car is rented for 24hours what would be the number of launches that could be done which would qualify as "abuse" and how many more would it take for it to be "idiot abuse"? Not trying to nit pickor come across as a smart ass but to me it seems that your theory of "difference between abuse and idiot abuse" is not a well thought out business statement.

Regarding the clientele theory, I doubt that you have much business experience.

If you read the context in which I wrote this you would understand.

But I do honestly wish you the best of luck, if this pans out and I can rent a ZR1 for $400/24hrs. and the likes for similar prices then sign me up :thumbsup:

ExtraSlow
07-18-2011, 04:16 PM
All the talk of the business aside, this sounds like a great asset to the city if you can get it running as you describe.

Myself, my tastes are simple. I'd love a Porsche Cayman R, or one of the top-line Mustangs.

ddduke
07-18-2011, 04:19 PM

Do you care to explain this. Take for instance a car with launch control like the GTR. If the car is rented for 24hours what would be the number of launches that could be done which would qualify as "abuse" and how many more would it take for it to be "idiot abuse"? Not trying to nit pickor come across as a smart ass but to me it seems that your theory of "difference between abuse and idiot abuse" is not a well thought out business statement.

I think what he means by abuse and idiot abuse is something along these lines:

abuse: shifting at high rpm, launch control in the gtr at a red light and just generally driving one of these vehicles how it's supposed to be driven.

Idiot abuse: 300km/h down deerfoot, drifting on off ramps and other reckless driving that most people wouldn't do anyways.

If this actually comes to life then count me in to rent the zr1 on a regular basis.

InRich
07-18-2011, 04:24 PM
I think this start up idea is idiotic.. there is NO WAY you will make your money back on this concept... your initial investment is outragious. The depriciation will be out of this world, and there will not be enough buyers for your service...

I can't even believe you guys are wasting your time on this thread. A start up like this is doomed... not to mention where exactly are you getting all these millions of dollars?

Cos
07-18-2011, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by InRich
I think this start up idea is idiotic.. there is NO WAY you will make your money back on this concept... your initial investment is outragious. The depriciation will be out of this world, and there will not be enough buyers for your service...

I can't even believe you guys are wasting your time on this thread. A start up like this is doomed... not to mention where exactly are you getting all these millions of dollars?

Did you read the thread? You aren't the first guy to ask the questions and he already answered them....

94boosted
07-18-2011, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by ddduke

abuse: shifting at high rpm, launch control in the gtr at a red light and just generally driving one of these vehicles how it's supposed to be driven.

Idiot abuse: 300km/h down deerfoot, drifting on off ramps and other reckless driving that most people wouldn't do anyways.

If this actually comes to life then count me in to rent the zr1 on a regular basis.

Fair enough, so how many launches errr red lights can I hit in a 24 hour period :rofl: You see my point here if everyone does even a few launches for example every time the car is rented, that transmission is going to need a replacement after a week.

J-hop
07-18-2011, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by Cos

Did you read the thread? You aren't the first guy to ask the questions and he already answered them....

has he answered the whole feasibility thing though (i got sick of reading through the long quote ridden posts lol), other than to say "yes its feasible"

I would like to see how grounded this guy is. I'd say as a bare minimum to start he is going to need about 5 million +. Maybe the guy is into drug money which is why he won't release his target market (maybe lil wayne and snoop are involved I don't know), but no way can I see someone raising 5 million + from investors in calgary as they aren't going to see a return on their investment anytime soon.

take it from some beyond members' experiences, setting up high end auto related companies in calgary is a tough gig. I suggest you move to cali and take your business there. Not that its a bad idea, but possibly a bad idea for calgary...

Cos
07-18-2011, 09:23 PM

has he answered the whole feasibility thing though (i got sick of reading through the long quote ridden posts lol), other than to say "yes its feasible"

Not really but you (or I) arent financing him so if he doesnt want to answer the questions I dont think we really have any right to demand it of him.

I dont know if it will work, that isnt really my concern, I just want to rent a car!

J-hop
07-18-2011, 09:34 PM
yea no I agree, I'm not looking for him to give names, just wanted to see if he thought he was going to get investors because I can say with almost 100% certainty he isn't (unless its family/family friends wanting him to "live his dream")

If he showed up on dragon's den looking for them to invest this idea would be shot down immediately due to all the reasons people have listed in this thread. Maybe the guy won the lottery. That would be a pretty fun thing to do if you won the lottery.

Sugarphreak
07-18-2011, 10:32 PM

adam c
07-18-2011, 10:39 PM
car logging equipment is easy to install, it's just a huge pain the ass tracking everything, i had to do it at my last job and hated it

shynepho
07-18-2011, 11:01 PM
Hope it all works out for you.

Best of luck!

NRGie
07-18-2011, 11:24 PM
So say everything goes good, do you plan to be open for next summer?

winson2001
07-19-2011, 12:17 AM
:D not gonna get into the debate, but the list looks awesome interested in every cars on list except for the vette ^^; dunno y but just not a fan of it. first car i'd try will be the DB9 for sure.

some other cars i would like to see would be some classic muscle cars? not sure how rent-friendly are anything classic tho... maybe a LFA... hmmm ARIEL ATOM? r they street legal here? sry if that is a noob question haha

Singulari
07-19-2011, 12:29 AM
That all sounds pretty good actually, assuming everything works like you say it will.

What about mileage? With other exotic rentals, I think you get 100-200 miles then $1-$2 per mile after that, which can double the cost of the rental pretty quick if you want to actually use the car as much as possible in your 24 hour period.

The flip side of this, is you probably don't want people driving to Vancouver and back every time they rent one of your cars, so what is the best way to handle the mileage part of it?

High mileage packages will be available and have to be approved by myself or my partner.
One of the business owners that I've talked to in the states based in New York had a client drive all the way to Chicago and back on a weekend and I certainly wouldn't want something like that to happen. Our GPS Tracking software can automatically disable the engine much like services provided by Drone Mobile. (we won't be using drone)

how much to rent a GT3 RS? :D

Unfortunately, the GT3 RS won't be part of the fleet at this time.

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
All the talk of the business aside, this sounds like a great asset to the city if you can get it running as you describe.

Myself, my tastes are simple. I'd love a Porsche Cayman R, or one of the top-line Mustangs.

Thank you for the support!

Originally posted by ddduke

Lucky for you, we will be offering 50% off your second rental for the first 100 rentals.

Originally posted by InRich

You do not know how much capital will be required to start this up. You will be quite surprised at the amount of capital needed. I've spent countless hours interviewing and surveying and planning out the business before I even thought it was viable. Here's a hint, property and inventory collateral as to where I will generate the capital from.

I would like to see how grounded this guy is. I'd say as a bare minimum to start he is going to need about 5 million +. Maybe the guy is into drug money which is why he won't release his target market (maybe lil wayne and snoop are involved I don't know), but no way can I see someone raising 5 million + from investors in calgary as they aren't going to see a return on their investment anytime soon.

take it from some beyond members' experiences, setting up high end auto related companies in calgary is a tough gig. I suggest you move to cali and take your business there. Not that its a bad idea, but possibly a bad idea for calgary...

5 Million+? Nope
You've completely missed the mark but there's a reason why I won't release my target demographics. Haven't you considered that competitors may look into this thread? Why would I release everything? Especially to an online forum. Anyone who wishes to look at my business plan has to sign a non-disclosure agreement.
Thank you for your input.

yea no I agree, I'm not looking for him to give names, just wanted to see if he thought he was going to get investors because I can say with almost 100% certainty he isn't (unless its family/family friends wanting him to "live his dream")

If he showed up on dragon's den looking for them to invest this idea would be shot down immediately due to all the reasons people have listed in this thread. Maybe the guy won the lottery. That would be a pretty fun thing to do if you won the lottery.

I'm not looking for investors on Beyond.
Have talked to a few though. Looked over it, they liked it very much but due to a conflict of interest, I have decided to look elsewhere to finance the business. (I don't want investors to get involved with the business)

That is pretty awesome if you can get this to work, I really do wish you had an Evora on the list though... they are supposed to be a great drivers car.

I'd LOVE to rent a car like that for a day of autocross just to see what it could do... while it actually isn't too hard on the car, certainly the wear on the tires (especially those tires) would probably make it not feasible without an additional fee.

On a scale of credibility when it comes to actually buying cars they talk about on Beyond, I'm afraid he ranks ahead of you InRich ;)

In my original list, I did have an evora. Wasn't very popular and have removed it.

Originally posted by shynepho
Hope it all works out for you.

Best of luck!

Thank you!

Originally posted by NRGie
So say everything goes good, do you plan to be open for next summer?

Yes.

M.alex
07-19-2011, 12:47 AM
I would rent this :D

http://media.motortopia.com/files/14755/vehicle/48c722951d112/917.jpg

Skyline_Addict
07-19-2011, 12:49 AM
very cool.

this guy sounds way more credible than the 300zx "donair" car!

Singulari
07-19-2011, 12:55 AM

Oh, as for your PM. Currently not interested.

very cool.

this guy sounds way more credible than the 300zx "donair" car!

Not sure who it's directed to. Regardless, do you have a link? Quite interested.

J-hop
07-19-2011, 10:17 AM

5 Million+? Nope
You've completely missed the mark but there's a reason why I won't release my target demographics. Haven't you considered that competitors may look into this thread? Why would I release everything? Especially to an online forum. Anyone who wishes to look at my business plan has to sign a non-disclosure agreement.
Thank you for your input.

I'm not looking for investors on Beyond.
Have talked to a few though. Looked over it, they liked it very much but due to a conflict of interest, I have decided to look elsewhere to finance the business. (I don't want investors to get involved with the business)

Oh man 5 mill is off the mark? I don't even want to know haha. Guessing closer to 10. I mean it's not like you could lease those vehicles haha

General question not specific to your business necessarily but you mentioned using your property as collateral. So I'm going to throw a rough estimate and say someone with your kind of money probably has around 2 million in property. But if say you still have 1 million left on your mortgage if you apply to the bank you could only ever hope to use the 1 million you've paid already as collateral. It's not like I could go get a mortgage for a 1 mill house then turn around and tell the bank I have 1 million in assets to use against a loan as I would be on borrowed money as it is. If anything a mortgage works against you. Factor in the depreciating nature of vehicles to and no bank will touch you amirite??

Nakadah
07-19-2011, 11:45 AM
^^ Not everyone pays for everything in their life with credit. What if the person has paid CASH for his property? Have you ever considered that?

Hey, business guy said that the customer will not be charged for any mechanical damage to the vehicle, and will be charged for exterior and interior damage.

Ok, lets say you rent a car that is manual and I have no idea how to drive it. I can shit your transmission for 5 seconds... Why and how am I not exactly going to be charged for that? And this is another problem with your business. Because people like me prefer Manual, but most people out there have no idea how to drive this thing.

What if I have parked on a parking for instance and someone has scratched the car. Just a normal scratch. What happens then? You can't keep the car scratch-free and the customer is not at fault now... Or how are you going to see the scratch if you do not know where it is at the moment of return?

The business guy mentioned something interesting. Competition! Say your business is working. Say that you make a solid profit. What will the other companies that for now rent only cheap C class cars stop them from starting to offer a higher class cars? In any case they have more money and more power than.

Again, you will have a big problem with not getting your cars stolen.

Anyway I respect people who are trying to do something positive such starting a business, so I wish you all the luck that you will need in future. I hope it works for you.

J-hop
07-19-2011, 12:24 PM
Oh I totally agree lots of rich people have their houses completely paid off, but to have decent collateral for this business he needs at least a few million in property and chances are if he's paid cash for that kind of real estate he probably wouldn't have any interest in starting a business like this he would be buying that list of cars for his own personal enjoyment.

To me it just sounds like the business plan is a whole lot of pipe dreams right now. Star operating a year from now and from the sounds of it he hasn't acquired capital or facilities or staff?!?!? Consulting a forum where 90% of the people on it are out of his intended demographic?? I dont think holt renfrew surveyed walmart customers to see what brands they should make available. Don't even know why this thread is on here, vehicle decisions should be made by looking at the market not the hopes and dreams of a bunch of people who aren't going to be the ones making you money

And yes I realize that may see like I'm insulting people on here. That isn't my intention as I am in the same boat. Just being realistic, not too many people on here have $2000 kicking around on a regular occasion to spend on a car rental. Sure for a special occasion every couple years, but that is just it, we are not the ones that will be lining th OP's pockets. In fact I think most would agree if they had that cash burning a hole in their pocket they would probably rather invest it in their own car.

dingmah
07-19-2011, 07:21 PM
Let us know when you open up shop, and I'll be one of your first customers!

cam_wmh
07-19-2011, 10:28 PM
Just in terms of the Bentley's & RR's, I think you're going to make a killing renting them on weekends for weddings.
The basic market is saturated, with lincolns, hummers, caddys & alike - the premium not so much.

There's ALOT of money in this city, and alot of credit cards with high limits. Don't be swayed by the early 20-something beyond demographic.

That said, if you can get your hands on a 993: Turbo S/Carrera RS/GT2, you have yourself a client. :D

kvg
07-19-2011, 10:58 PM
I have wanted to see this happen in Calgary for quite some time. I personally would love to rent a exotic to take the wife to Banff for the weekend. Best of luck hope to see this happen:thumbsup:

know1edge
07-20-2011, 12:53 AM
+1 gt3rs

statick
07-20-2011, 11:27 AM
Hey Singulari,

Best of luck with this venture, I'd definitely have some interest in frequenting your business.

Cars of my interest are:
-Mercedes-Benz SLR
-Porsche Carrera GT
-Porsche Carrera 4S (or Panamera 4S, though I'm not sure if others would prefer a sedan)
-Porsche 911 (GT3 or GT2)
-TVR Sagaris
-Ferrari 612 Scaglietti
-Ferrari FF
-Ferrari California

I understand some of this list may be unrealistic :D

As with Cos, I'd definitely get something for my wedding, which is next year... I'm sure you'll be in business by then!

soloracer
07-20-2011, 12:45 PM
Rather than a rental business, which I believe would be a recipe for disaster in our much shortened driving season, it would be wiser to consider a Time Share model for a business of this type. There are several in the US such as:

http://dfwelitecarclub.com/

I could see something like that be more viable.

M.alex
07-20-2011, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by soloracer
Rather than a rental business, which I believe would be a recipe for disaster in our much shortened driving season, it would be wiser to consider a Time Share model for a business of this type. There are several in the US such as:

http://dfwelitecarclub.com/

I could see something like that be more viable.

That's .... different.

Masked Bandit
07-20-2011, 12:54 PM

That's .... different.

I've seen this concept applied to personal aircraft as well.

soloracer
07-20-2011, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit

I've seen this concept applied to personal aircraft as well.

It's called fractional ownership. Here is an example:

http://exoticarshare.com/AboutECS/Index.html

I first read about this in a magazine where a reviewer got a Ferrari 328 from a New York car club. The business models vary from being like a golf course where you own part of the business and pay yearly dues to the first one I posted where you pay monthly for points to use towards the different cars. There is a similar business already here in Calgary where they keep RV's, Quads, Snowmobiles, etc. on a fractional ownership basis too - no exotic cars that I am aware of though.

dandia89
07-20-2011, 01:34 PM
best of luck with your business!

i really look forward in seeing this succeed to show the beyond haters whats up! :poosie:

leftwing
07-20-2011, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by dandia89
best of luck with your business!

i really look forward in seeing this succeed to show the beyond haters whats up! :poosie:

:thumbsup:

soloracer
07-20-2011, 06:56 PM

But only if it had the proper flat 12 cylinder engine........ read this from Wikipedia

"The 917/30 was the most powerful sports car racer ever built and raced. The 5.374 litre 12 cylinder (90.0 x 70.4 mm) twin-turbocharged engine could produce 1,580 bhp (1,180 kW) in qualifying tune, with twin turbochargers run up to full boost, a simply astonishing 39 psi (2.7 bar), though it usually raced with around 1,100 bhp (820 kW) at 7,800 rpm to preserve the engine. Whilst weighing only in at 1800 lb (816 kg), giving it a power to weight of 1967.36 bhp/tonne in qualifying tune and 1369.68 bhp/tonne in race tune. The 917/30 dominated the Can-Am series during the 1973 season. The 917/30 could go from 0-62 mph (100 km/h) in 1.9 seconds, 0-100 mph (160 km/h) in 3.9 seconds, 0-200 mph (320 km/h) in 10.9 seconds, and on to a top speed of more than 260 mph (420 km/h). "

M.alex
07-20-2011, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by soloracer

But only if it had the proper flat 12 cylinder engine........ read this from Wikipedia

"The 917/30 was the most powerful sports car racer ever built and raced. The 5.374 litre 12 cylinder (90.0 x 70.4 mm) twin-turbocharged engine could produce 1,580 bhp (1,180 kW) in qualifying tune, with twin turbochargers run up to full boost, a simply astonishing 39 psi (2.7 bar), though it usually raced with around 1,100 bhp (820 kW) at 7,800 rpm to preserve the engine. Whilst weighing only in at 1800 lb (816 kg), giving it a power to weight of 1967.36 bhp/tonne in qualifying tune and 1369.68 bhp/tonne in race tune. The 917/30 dominated the Can-Am series during the 1973 season. The 917/30 could go from 0-62 mph (100 km/h) in 1.9 seconds, 0-100 mph (160 km/h) in 3.9 seconds, 0-200 mph (320 km/h) in 10.9 seconds, and on to a top speed of more than 260 mph (420 km/h). "

original > replica *sigh*

Guess you'll just have to live w/ the sound of a n/a V8 in it if you join the time-share club :rofl:

...of course, if you make a special contribution I can probably source an original engine ..... but last time I looked it was ($$$$$$$$$$*$$$$$$$$$$$)^$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Tilly
07-24-2011, 06:32 AM
Many of us can surely agree that
J-Hop is an idiot.

To the original thread question, I would suggest a classic exotic sports car, the Lamborghini Countach.

Perhaps an inventory that carries vehicles dreamed of when we were children is viable?

Good luck in you venture Singulari.

Danny Meehan
07-24-2011, 09:19 AM
Business models such as these work.

On the French Riviera the Audi A8 cost 580 Euro to rent for a day for up to 150 km. There was a freeze put on the bank account for 4500 Euro liability prior to release and signing of the contract. Another clause was the driver had to be over 30. Car was returned in good condition and freeze was lifted.

... as for the original poster, looking forward to seeing you in Calgary.

B20EF
07-24-2011, 01:07 PM
I might even recommend a Ferrari 360. Relatively cheap now adays and still considered a dream exotic to drive for 95% of people. If that was a car on the cheaper end to rent I could see it being quite popular.

Onassis
07-24-2011, 05:26 PM
Interested to see how this pans out in Calgary, I knew a guy who started a business like this in Vancouver but couldn't sustain itself.

bignerd
07-24-2011, 07:56 PM
I spoke to someone who rented out a Dodge Viper and Porsche Boxster when they were new. He said the biggest problem was the Viper and having to replace tires and getting the car out of impound.

Singulari
09-09-2011, 07:49 PM
Hello everyone, Singulari here again.
Had to work on restructuring the business.
I took a few beyonder's advice and shrunk the fleet down to 9 cars. Have a temporary website up and running and hope to launch in March and become a Beyond sponsor. Of course, Beyond members will receive 10-15% off/rental ;)

Singulari

kvg
09-09-2011, 08:01 PM
Great to hear. I hope it is a huge success :thumbsup:

Singulari
09-09-2011, 08:12 PM
A typical rental for Beyond members will look like this:

Lamborghini Gallardo
$1500 for 24 hours.
Insurance Included
Fuel Included.

As an added incentive, we will also top up your cars with a full tank of fuel and provide a free car wash ;)

We will not be charging any hidden fees and hope to leave out any hassles with any rentals.

However, there is a damage deposit and you need to be at least 18 to rent.

Skyline_Addict
09-09-2011, 08:15 PM
Looking forward to this!

black300
09-09-2011, 08:34 PM
Post the website once it's ready!

flipstah
09-09-2011, 08:36 PM
I'd be interested in this! Once in a lifetime opportunity for most of us on home turf.

All you need is your in-house track and you're gold. ;)

max_boost
09-09-2011, 08:36 PM
A typical rental for Beyond members will look like this:

Lamborghini Gallardo
$1500 for 24 hours.
Insurance Included
Fuel Included.

As an added incentive, we will also top up your cars with a full tank of fuel and provide a free car wash ;)

We will not be charging any hidden fees and hope to leave out any hassles with any rentals.

However, there is a damage deposit and you need to be at least 18 to rent.

Are the Lambos equipped with any sort of laser jammers or detectors? haha

:D

Singulari
09-09-2011, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by max_boost

Are the Lambos equipped with any sort of laser jammers or detectors? haha

:D

All vehicles will be provided with 4 radars of your choosing.

Valentine V1
Beltronics STI
Escort Redline
Escort 9500iX

The cars will have Veil coating on them for lasers.
We will go and purchase laser jammers or other radars if you so desire at no expense to you.

As for damages, minor bumper damages are okay (scratches)
As long as you don't get a huge ding on the window, I don't see why we will charge you for anything. We just want to provide an enhanced customer service to all of our clients whether they are just there to browse or purchase a service from us.

Singulari
09-10-2011, 12:00 AM
Looking forward to this!

Hope to meet you in the future! You don't need to be a customer to check us out. If you are as passionate about fine automobiles as we are, I don't see why we can't let a few beyond members take them for an hour test drive once in a while :). We really do need the support and membership sign ups in the meantime to generate some capital.

Originally posted by black300
Post the website once it's ready!

the website is http://www.singulari.ca
We have a temporary website up and running.

Originally posted by flipstah
I'd be interested in this! Once in a lifetime opportunity for most of us on home turf.

All you need is your in-house track and you're gold. ;)

We don't condone racing or excessive speeding but once we give it to you, well it is your responsibility. We don't want the police after us. If you receive a ticket or the vehicle gets towed, we will not be liable for it. Not sure if I mentioned it before but there's a difference between abuse and idiot abuse. As long as you don't do the latter, we're okay with whatever you do to the vehicle.

chkolny541
09-10-2011, 12:06 AM
wow, good luck with this!

Singulari
09-10-2011, 12:15 AM
Originally posted by chkolny541
wow, good luck with this!

Thank you!

Twitter page now has 172 followers! :)

http://twitter.com/#!/thesingulariexp

I had 3 yesterday.

http://i51.tinypic.com/24v01h5.png

DGill
09-10-2011, 12:23 AM
I can't wait until you guys open up!

Kloubek
09-10-2011, 12:48 AM
I mean no offense Singulari, but you are better off not even having a website yet, if it is going to look like that. I know it is just a feeler, test, or temporary site. But whatever you want to call it, the site that exists would only be a detriment - even if you have not officially launched your business yet.

I too have doubts about the viability of a business like this, but they *do* exist elsewhere. (Though generally in places where the cars can be driven year-round. This is quite seasonal here in Calgary) Combine that with expensive upkeep, and I just don't see it. However, you've done the research, and the rest of us have not - so I wish you the very best success.

Singulari
09-10-2011, 01:00 AM
Originally posted by Kloubek
I mean no offense Singulari, but you are better off not even having a website yet, if it is going to look like that. I know it is just a feeler, test, or temporary site. But whatever you want to call it, the site that exists would only be a detriment - even if you have not officially launched your business yet.

I too have doubts about the viability of a business like this, but they *do* exist elsewhere. (Though generally in places where the cars can be driven year-round. This is quite seasonal here in Calgary) Combine that with expensive upkeep, and I just don't see it. However, you've done the research, and the rest of us have not - so I wish you the very best success.

i didn't have a website for almost 6 months? Then I realized that I would rather have the word out rather than launching a professional website... which will come later.

I had doubts at first but the reason this business is viable is due to special circumstances. (Business partner being able to service, maintain and repair all of these vehicles and other reasons.)

Thank you for your support!

gyu
09-10-2011, 01:23 AM
Cool idea, how did you come up with the money to purchase these :eek:

Kloubek
09-10-2011, 06:45 AM
What the hell kind of question is that? None of your business!

Singulari
09-10-2011, 01:54 PM
Finding capital is hard and we're still a little short. We just need to generate a little more $$ in order to launch the business as we had planned. We certainly don't want to lower our expectations.

[Yu]
09-10-2011, 02:01 PM
Congrats on moving forward ever since you posted this thread.

I wish you luck and hope you continue to progress and get this business where you envisioned it to be!