PDA

View Full Version : Bought a Chevy Cruze Eco, manual - 50mpg?!

Ekliptix
07-19-2011, 08:51 PM
I needed to buy a car 'till I get my Z06 and for the GF to drive in where I'm living now (Houston). I picked up a Chevy Cruze Eco with the 6 speed manual and communication package (blue tooth, steering wheel controls, etc). $19,400US, $20,900US out the door, 100,000mile/5yr warrenty.

It has a 1.4L turbo which is stronger then I expected. The shifting feels great and very light, and I like the center consol. It's also super quiet inside.

We only have 100miles on it so far, but on a 50mi drive through a city highway (similar to Deerfoot) at 95-110km/h, the onscreen display was saying 50mpg average!? There was some braking on the road, so I think 55mpg on a real hiway is possible.

Anyway, loving it so far. Some pics:

Rental SUV in back
http://i1126.photobucket.com/albums/l613/Houstadian/IMG_0976.jpg

http://i1126.photobucket.com/albums/l613/Houstadian/ce0977f6.jpg

http://i1126.photobucket.com/albums/l613/Houstadian/IMG_0972.jpg

http://i1126.photobucket.com/albums/l613/Houstadian/IMG_0977.jpg

http://i1126.photobucket.com/albums/l613/Houstadian/IMG_0973.jpg

Nakadah
07-19-2011, 09:09 PM
Congrats. I really like the Cruze.

Aleks
07-19-2011, 09:12 PM
These cars have a 4.6L/100kms highway rating IIRC in manual trim. That's pretty impressive for a non hybrid car.

I don't think they are much more here than low 20s CAD with employee pricing they have going on.

PS Congrats on everything and good luck in Texas man.

kamakurakid
07-19-2011, 09:12 PM
Nice colour and good price. Is the interior quieter than in the SUV rental?

Ekliptix
07-19-2011, 09:22 PM
One of the cool things about the Eco version is there are slats in the front grill that close at hiway speed to improve aerodynamics, and the Eco is lower.

Originally posted by Aleks
These cars have a 4.6L/100kms highway rating IIRC in manual trim. That's pretty impressive for a non hybrid car.

I don't think they are much more here than low 20s CAD with employee pricing they have going on.

PS Congrats on everything and good luck in Texas man.
That's interesting to hear the price in Canada is low 20's. Not bad. I was considering spending a bit more ($24k) and getting a used VW CC (way nicer car), but I couldn't find one with a manual locally and in non-black. Thanks for the well wishes on TX, it's been fun these first 3 weeks.

Originally posted by kamakurakid
Nice colour and good price. Is the interior quieter than in the SUV rental?
Way quieter.

kamakurakid
07-19-2011, 09:44 PM
Impressive, I am always looking for information on quietist vehicles.

Everyone will own a black vehicle ONCE! Never keep them clean and hotter than a Canadian in a Texas summer.

Masked Bandit
07-20-2011, 08:37 AM
It's fuel consumption like this that makes me wonder why the automotive industry even bothers with Hybrids.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
07-20-2011, 08:48 AM
Not a fan of those wheels but the Cruze sure is nice.

Mitsu3000gt
07-20-2011, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit
It's fuel consumption like this that makes me wonder why the automotive industry even bothers with Hybrids.

Hybrids are mostly for people who want to feel like they are helping the environment, and willing to pay a significant premium to do so. I don't think anyone in the know buys a hybrid for the sole reason of it's fuel economy - if so, they haven't done the math.

It takes as much as 8-10 years for most people to pay off the huge premium it costs for a Hybrid vs the 4cyl/economy version of the same car using only gas savings, because the gas savings between the two are so minimal in many examples.

Some hybrids are actually quite awesome though, and make huge power still, like some from Lexus.

dirtsniffer
07-20-2011, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit

93VR6
07-20-2011, 09:40 AM
That's a good looking car.

What made you choose the Cruze over other cars in the segment? (I see you have a z06 coming soon, Chevy guy?) I'm not saying I think the Cruze is a crappy car I think it's well styled and I love the motor, i'm just curious.

Tomaz
07-20-2011, 09:44 AM
wait... turbo + manual transmission. That was not an option not too long ago. The RS in Canada was bout $27,000 out the door.

Anyway, good little car. not bad bang for the buck! Plus that fuel economy is insane! :thumbsup:

dino_martini
07-20-2011, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by Tomaz
wait... turbo + manual transmission. That was not an option not too long ago. The RS in Canada was bout $27,000 out the door.

Anyway, good little car. not bad bang for the buck! Plus that fuel economy is insane! :thumbsup:

:werd:

Maybe it's a US only thing, but I looked at the Chevy website and couldn't get the turbo motor with a manual transmission. Can you keep us posted on your experience with the Cruze? In RS trim it looks great, I'm just a little Leary of how reliable the car will be over time. Did you look at the new civic too?

94boosted
07-20-2011, 11:04 AM
Nice car, I think Chevy did great with this car.

You need to look into a Trifecta tune for these cars, Trifecta has been pioneering stuff for boosted ecotecs for a few years now and I beleive they have a 3 stage tune either out or coming out soon for the turbo cruze's (ECO Mode, Stock Mode, Power Mode).

Xtrema
07-20-2011, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by dino_martini

Maybe it's a US only thing, but I looked at the Chevy website and couldn't get the turbo motor with a manual transmission. Can you keep us posted on your experience with the Cruze? In RS trim it looks great, I'm just a little Leary of how reliable the car will be over time. Did you look at the new civic too?

No, it's on the Canadian site as well.

ECO and standard Cruze uses the same turbo engine. 138HP/148lb/ft.

What makes it ECO is the manual transmission with 3 overdrive gears, a few aerodynamic tweaks and possible different throttle mapping. It even comes with 17" wheels compares to the 16".

Sounds like very good value.

Ekliptix
07-20-2011, 11:48 AM
I really wanted the RS package (body kit, fogs), and it was only a $700 option, but the dealer could find one in red or white with a manual.

Compared to the civic, based on my reviews, the torque in the Cruze was a big selling feature. Any I'm a little bias to domestics.

Ekliptix
07-20-2011, 11:55 AM
Here's a good video describing what went into the Eco version:
Kl0CrZTV7U0

brokeass
07-20-2011, 12:06 PM
I would definitely get the Trifecta tune, you have to run on 91 octane, but they allege that there is a 10% increase in fuel economy to combat that

http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/34-1-4l-turbo/1688-trifecta-tuned-last-night-wow.html

only $350.

35hp
54tq

Pretty good bang for buck IMO

tentacles
07-20-2011, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by dino_martini

You can't get the LTZ with a manual but the Eco has the turbo engine and a manual.

redsrt4
07-20-2011, 12:24 PM
since you're in houston check modern performance..

n1zm0
07-20-2011, 12:25 PM
so can you hear the turbo at all? or like all the new nonsports turbo cars these days - silent wisp. i read its pretty torquey around town especially top end, enough power to overtake on the highway?

Originally posted by brokeass
I would definitely get the Trifecta tune

that is awesome, i would buy the $350 package just to flash that onto a rental Turbo cruze as it seems like an ideal rental subcompact, then sell it to a real cruze owner at a reduced cost obviously.

dino_martini
07-20-2011, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by tentacles

You can't get the LTZ with a manual but the Eco has the turbo engine and a manual.

Brutal, that is the exact combo I would want.

whiskas
07-20-2011, 05:12 PM
Let us know how that interior holds up in 50,000k

In my experience GM interiors start to disintegrate at that point. Other than that, I'm impressed on how the interior looks, very clean.

Troll-ol
07-20-2011, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by brokeass
I would definitely get the Trifecta tune, you have to run on 91 octane, but they allege that there is a 10% increase in fuel economy to combat that

http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/34-1-4l-turbo/1688-trifecta-tuned-last-night-wow.html

only $350.

35hp
54tq

Pretty good bang for buck IMO it's saying this voids the warranty.

Xtrema
07-20-2011, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by Troll-ol
it's saying this voids the warranty.

Most mod does.