PDA

View Full Version : Review: Jojo's BBQ - Food Truck

Idratherbsidewayz
07-20-2011, 01:31 PM
Had the pleasure of going to Jojo's BBQ today for lunch. Absolutely delicious. It's located in the Barbecues Galore parking lot, and features all kinds of slow smoked delicious goodies.

Everything is cooked out of a converted RV, and they take credit/debit cards!

Barbecues Galore
3505 Edmonton Trail NE
Calgary, AB
(587)-896-7827
http://bbqcalgary.com/

Hours of Operation:
Wednesday thru Sunday 11am till 4pm

She also has twitter for updates on different locations:
http://twitter.com/#!/JoJosBBQ

Food - 9/10

Unreal BBQ. Having been to Holy Smoke BBQ a few times, I came in with high expectations. I got a regular rack of ribs (8 ribs) and corn fritters, while my coworker got the same with griddle mac and cheese on the side. The ribs came off the bone in an amazing flavor mix of spices and smoke. When dipped in the BBQ sauce, they were even tastier. The BBQ sauce is homemade and just delicious.

Service - 9/10

Owner was very friendly, order came up within 5-10 minutes. Sides appear to be freshly made to order.

Pricing 8/10

It's not cheap, but thanks to a clerical error, I got a regular rack of ribs and six corn fritters for $11.50 vs $17.50. Would have paid any price for that kind of goodness in my mouth.

Daily lunch special is $10 which is very reasonable.

Overall - 9/10

Great BBQ on a food truck. While the prices could stand to be cheaper, the portions are big and the meat is amazing. Would definitely recommend you guys give it a try.

spikerS
07-20-2011, 02:59 PM
weird, i go to BBQ galore twice a month, and never noticed the RV... I will have to check it out.

Idratherbsidewayz
07-20-2011, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by spikers
weird, i go to BBQ galore twice a month, and never noticed the RV... I will have to check it out.

It's in the north location. Just started up 6 weeks ago.

taemo
07-20-2011, 03:31 PM
I'll have to check it out this friday on my way home from work!

ExtraSlow
07-20-2011, 03:37 PM
This is near my house, will check out!

dirtsniffer
07-20-2011, 03:41 PM
whats the lunch special? im definitely going to hit htis place up

.norco.
07-20-2011, 07:18 PM
went there last week, really good

Offroad
07-21-2011, 03:31 AM
:D Went today with my kid it was great and we were second last customers and she was all sold out after us :)

DarkDream
07-21-2011, 01:33 PM
hmm went there after work yesterday and wasn't able to find it.

Do they drive it away after they sell everything or do they close early?

edit: NM just read that they are only open till 4

taemo
07-22-2011, 02:43 PM
stopped by there at 2:20, no sign of an rv bbq, drove around the parking lot and saw the big bike, not the rv though :(
ill try again tomorrow

D'z Nutz
07-22-2011, 09:29 PM
My sisters and I checked it out this afternoon after seeing this thread. I gotta say I was a little disappointed. It wasn't horrible or anything, but I kinda expected something mind blowing from the way it was hyped up. I certainly wouldn't go out of my way to eat there again, but if I was hungry and passing by I'd pull in to grab something.

We got the brisket sandwich, the sloppy Jo Jo, griddled mac and cheese, and the BBQ-tine.

http://www.typicalfish.com/images/beyond/jojo_bbq.jpg

I'd say the sandwiches were okay, maybe a little better than average but only because we added a lot more BBQ sauce. The griddled mac and cheese had NO taste, so I'd skip that. The only redeeming thing about our lunch was the BBQ-tine, so I'd definitely recommend that. In fact, it's better than anything they'll serve up at Big Cheese Poutinery.

One word of advice: if you're going to go there, I'd get there right when they open at 11:00. We got there about 11:50 and the pulled pork sandwich was already out and by 12:30 they were out of brisket.

jdmakkord
07-23-2011, 07:03 PM
I had a full rack of ribs, mac n cheese, corn fritters and the pickled onions. The only thing that had a remote amount of flavor was the onions. The ribs were dry and bland, even drowned in BBQ sauce. The Mac and cheese was miserable, KD would have been better, and the corn fritters are better at Chicken on the way. Huge :thumbsdow from me.

taemo
07-24-2011, 06:44 AM
finally got to try it yesterday aswell, wasn't overly impressed tbh

We got there at around 11:30, quite a few people were stopping over and we had to wait 5-10min for our order.
One thing for sure is the meat lacks flavour. I'm the kind of guy that likes my meat even with just S&P, but theirs didn't have any.
I had the pulled pork, my gf the sloppy jojo and both tasted pretty dry, the only thing that helped a little was the homemade bbq sauce. the only good thing I can say is I liked the brisket cut, might try it again if I'm around the neighbor.
Also decided to try the snack ribs, equally unimpressed. the ribs had no flavour again and dry. Swiss Chalet and Montana makes better ribs IMO
The jalapeno fries were disappointing too, just regular fries deep fried and put some grated jalapeno on top.
The lady taking the orders was really kind and friendly though.

Food 7/10
Service 9/10
Pricing 7/10
Overall 7/10

Pics
http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/9478/img0347jq.jpg
http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/4782/img0348dp.jpg
http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/9338/img0349ur.jpg
http://img713.imageshack.us/img713/7784/img0345fp.jpg

Guillermo
07-24-2011, 05:32 PM
i haven't been to jojo's, but i've heard from several people that they didn't think the food was that great... dry and often cold, etc.

nj2Type-S
07-25-2011, 11:38 AM
i live in the SW and i wouldn't mind driving to the NE for good bbq. I've been to 'holy smoke' and while i do enjoy their ribs, i find it a tad too spicy to my liking.

from what i gather from this thread, it doesn't seem like this Jojo's place is worth the drive. lol, back to tony roma's for me, i guess...haha!

Mibz
07-25-2011, 12:06 PM
Complaining that BBQ lacks sauce is kinda weird to me. At least that's what I assume people mean by "dry" because the meat looks fantastic in those pics. Sauce is given to you on the side specifically so you can put whatever variety and quantity you want on your food. I've never been to JoJo's so maybe it does suck but they don't serve your shit pre-sauced at Holy Smoke either and I think it's for a reason.

taemo
07-25-2011, 12:22 PM
^ oh I liked the brisket and pulled pork, but the ribs were pretty dry, no juicy flavour on the inside.
Frig I might stop by again this friday maybe.

BensonTT
07-25-2011, 12:36 PM
This looks ghetto lol! Anyways would you guys say this place is better then holy smokes BBQ?

[Yu]
07-25-2011, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by taemo
^ oh I liked the brisket and pulled pork, but the ribs were pretty dry, no juicy flavour on the inside.
Frig I might stop by again this friday maybe.

Thanks for the sick pictures. Couldn't seem to make the smoke ring out on the pulled pork or brisket, and of course the ribs picture didn't include the inside.

I am quite surprised at how this thread turned out.

rx7_turbo2
07-25-2011, 06:47 PM
I share the same experience as most here.

I was super excited to try this place out after reading an article in FFWD Magazine. And massively disappointed after my visit.

I'm not a BBQ expert by any stretch. I do however try to seek out BBQ whenever I'm in a new town. Because of this I've tried some pretty good BBQ over the years.

This place fell WAY short. I had a brisket sandwich, couple of ribs, and coleslaw. Neither the ribs or brisket had a very smokey flavor, really no smoke flavour whatsoever, the ribs were dry and while maybe not cold they weren't really warm either. Brisket was......well......blah. Was more like the usual run of the mill beef on a bun we've all had at some terrible Stampede lunch. Coleslaw? Not bad, had a smokey flavour, sad when the coleslaw had more smoke flavour than the brisket and ribs combined. All in all? I won't be going back.

Guillermo
07-25-2011, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by BensonTT
This looks ghetto lol! Anyways would you guys say this place is better then holy smokes BBQ?

holy smoke is quite good IMO.