PDA

View Full Version : Those Custom Suit People

Pages : [1] 2

sexualbanana
07-20-2011, 07:26 PM
I did a search but couldn't find anything (which is weird because I'm positive they've been mentioned on here a few times).

What kind of price range can I expect from those traveling tailors that custom-make suits and dress shirts for you?

Maxwell Clothiers doesn't really have a price that I can find. Plus, they don't seem to have a stop scheduled for Calgary anytime soon.

Tailored Man is currently in Calgary, but it seems for the prices they are advertising, I can get a decent suit off the rack and get it altered to fit for less.

Does anyone else have any recommendations besides those two?

ExtraSlow
07-20-2011, 08:03 PM
I'd be shocked if a "from scratch" suit was ever cheaper than one off the rack with some alteration.

What's your budget? Then maybe people can give you suggestions about where to source your suit.

max_boost
07-20-2011, 08:22 PM
Go to Asia lol

<$500CAD will get you a suit and 5 dress shirts lol

Weapon_R
07-20-2011, 08:30 PM
Umberto's. But for $750, you can do so much better than the stuff he puts out if you buy a suit and have it altered.

ddduke
07-20-2011, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
Go to Asia lol

&lt;$500CAD will get you a suit and 5 dress shirts lol

Took a look at so many different shops in Asia and the quality of those tailors (for the most part) is shit.

I wish they actually made nice suits, would have been a great bargain.

J.M.
07-20-2011, 09:09 PM
Sorry for the thread jack, but has anyone here had experience with sending your shirt measurements to a custom dress shirt place online, where they make the shirt then ship it to you?

I'm having a hell of a time finding dress shirts locally that actually fit me and don't look all bunched up when tucked in, so I've been considering doing this.

sexualbanana
07-20-2011, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
I'd be shocked if a &quot;from scratch&quot; suit was ever cheaper than one off the rack with some alteration.

What's your budget? Then maybe people can give you suggestions about where to source your suit.

I had some made on my last trip that cost $200. Granted, they weren't the traveling ones like the ones I'm looking for now (unless I feel like making a trip just to buy some, which I don't).

If I can get a respectable off-the-rack for like $250-300, then I'd want something for around $400 if it were one of those from-scratch tailors. Otherwise, buying off the rack and getting altered would cost roughly the same without having to wait as long.

My main focus is dress shirts which, for starting at $65 and up in stores, may be a little cheaper once I factor in the cost of altering.

Cos
07-20-2011, 09:46 PM
My CK OTR suit all taylored up was just over $600.00 which I thought was good considering what other places were charging and damned it fits nice.

Kona9
07-20-2011, 10:26 PM
http://www.suitsupply.com/

Nice Suits

They have some excellent ads. (Ask Leo material)

bmeier
07-20-2011, 11:09 PM
i hear great things about giovanni at - the tailor shop. but i dont think his stuff is cheap. i also heard umberto's is good, if you want cheap OTR and altered is probably the best.

bmeier
07-20-2011, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by Kona9

Nice Suits

have you actually seen these suits in person? the look decent in photos but the fit and construction might not be great in person. i might order one the price seems good and the reviews are decent as well.

adidas
07-21-2011, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by Kona9

Nice Suits

Wow they make some great shit.

:thumbsup:

Mys73ri0
07-21-2011, 12:47 AM
http://www.maxwellsclothiers.com/

$150 + tax + $36 duties gets you 3 shirts.

i think its $500 for suit and 3 shirts

ExtraSlow
07-21-2011, 06:21 AM
Originally posted by J.M.
Sorry for the thread jack, but has anyone here had experience with sending your shirt measurements to a custom dress shirt place online, where they make the shirt then ship it to you?

I'm having a hell of a time finding dress shirts locally that actually fit me and don't look all bunched up when tucked in, so I've been considering doing this.
I had a shirt made by "Nuemodo" online after they posted a groupon deal. Problem with the groupon deal was that they didn't do the "custom fit" type, just "standard sizes." I've got a shirt that is just a little too big, but it's noticable.

If you think one of the "standard" sizes would work for you, PM me and I'll sell you my remaining groupon.

Quality wise, it's about on-par with most low end shirts you can get at places like sears. No flaws per-se, but it just doesn't feel like and expensive shirt. Good thing it wasn't.

cet
07-21-2011, 07:46 AM
mytailor.com also comes here twice a year. Last time I got something from them the shirts were $100 a piece. No idea how much the suits are.

J-hop
07-21-2011, 07:52 AM
Originally posted by ddduke

Took a look at so many different shops in Asia and the quality of those tailors (for the most part) is shit.

I wish they actually made nice suits, would have been a great bargain.

Ok yea that makes sense. I can't see a custom suit for less than $1000 being all that nice. I spent $600 on my last OTR suit before altering and without a dress shirt and I wouldn't consider it a nice suit. It's a decent suit for family events but I would wear it to any "high class events"

sillysod
07-21-2011, 08:08 AM
Originally posted by J.M.

I have the same problem. I cant get shirts with sleeves that are long enough. When it's time to go shopping for more dress clothes I know it's going to be a couple week ordeal till I find a few shirts that fit.

CompletelyNumb
07-21-2011, 08:15 AM
I love suits, but I'm cheap. I get OTR from TipTop Tailors and get them all fitted. Suits between $300 (then they have their sales) an $1000. I like them. So far havent had any issues, they look good, last. Cant complain. :dunno:

codetrap
07-21-2011, 08:47 AM
If you have to ask the price, you can't afford it.

flipstah
10-03-2011, 09:35 PM
Anybody know when Maxwell's is coming to town? I am in need of a custom dress shirt in a month's time and the only decent place I found is this:

http://www.shirtsmyway.com/

Any recommendations on other places?

l/l/rX
10-03-2011, 09:58 PM
www.indochino.com seems pretty good...i'll let you know how it is when i decide to order one.

heard about it from a friend, whose friend started this online site.

Roarasaur
10-03-2011, 10:28 PM
I had bought one of those suits a while ago for my parents anniversary and I'd have to say that it seems pretty good. Although I've never had the opportunity to buy nice expensive suits before, the material seems top notch and the stitching is well done. I've read about how to pick out a good suit from a bad and it seems to pass all of the basic tests.

I had a groupon from them awhile ago that gave me $150 credit for $50. Everything is made to your exact measurement and they have a video of where and how to measure everything on you. You can even order the jackets and pants to be unfinished and have your tailor finish the hemming for you and essentially get a perfect fit. They will even reimburse you after you get it done. If something doesnt end up fitting right, they will give you an allowance of $75 to go and get it fixed by a tailor and if deemed unfixable, you have the opportunity to get it returned and redone.

I know I may sound like I work for them but I was just really happy with my suit. I also ended up getting 2 different shirts with them as well and being a small asian guy, its hard to find a shirt that actually fits my body type. Most shirts in store here have the shoulders/sleeves too long and the belly area ends up being too baggy.

One thing I do recommend though is that when you measure your arm lengths, make sure you measure both arms and take the longer measurement as your desired measurement and have it unfinished and get it finished by a tailor. My left sleeve ends up looking shorter than my right sleeve because my left arm is slightly longer and it was unfixable because there wasn't enough material to work with. And I didnt have time to send it in because I was going away on vacation 2 days after it came. Moral is, I would buy from them again. I ended up going with a 3 piece charcoal suit for $449 (ended up being 349 with the voucher).

Oh, and one other thing I recommend is to get a tailors kit from them if your not sure what shirt to buy. I think it costed me $29 and you get to pick 16 different swatches of your choosing, with the 5 different linings you can pick for you jacket. You get a nice sample of the shirts you might end up getting AND you end up getting $29 credit on your account so its essentially free :D.

l/l/rX
10-03-2011, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by Roarasaur
I had bought one of those suits a while ago for my parents anniversary and I'd have to say that it seems pretty good. Although I've never had the opportunity to buy nice expensive suits before, the material seems top notch and the stitching is well done. I've read about how to pick out a good suit from a bad and it seems to pass all of the basic tests.

I had a groupon from them awhile ago that gave me $150 credit for $50. Everything is made to your exact measurement and they have a video of where and how to measure everything on you. You can even order the jackets and pants to be unfinished and have your tailor finish the hemming for you and essentially get a perfect fit. They will even reimburse you after you get it done. If something doesnt end up fitting right, they will give you an allowance of $75 to go and get it fixed by a tailor and if deemed unfixable, you have the opportunity to get it returned and redone.

I know I may sound like I work for them but I was just really happy with my suit. I also ended up getting 2 different shirts with them as well and being a small asian guy, its hard to find a shirt that actually fits my body type. Most shirts in store here have the shoulders/sleeves too long and the belly area ends up being too baggy.

One thing I do recommend though is that when you measure your arm lengths, make sure you measure both arms and take the longer measurement as your desired measurement and have it unfinished and get it finished by a tailor. My left sleeve ends up looking shorter than my right sleeve because my left arm is slightly longer and it was unfixable because there wasn't enough material to work with. And I didnt have time to send it in because I was going away on vacation 2 days after it came. Moral is, I would buy from them again. I ended up going with a 3 piece charcoal suit for $449 (ended up being 349 with the voucher).

Oh, and one other thing I recommend is to get a tailors kit from them if your not sure what shirt to buy. I think it costed me $29 and you get to pick 16 different swatches of your choosing, with the 5 different linings you can pick for you jacket. You get a nice sample of the shirts you might end up getting AND you end up getting $29 credit on your account so its essentially free :D.

Hey awesome review man! I was just reading bunch of reviews on the internet and they sound like they've been done by tall white guys, pants too tight around the thighs and other misc parts not fitting too well, i definitely do think this company is more geared towards asian men (me). Looking at a 3 piece for now and we'll see how it goes from there.

rage2
10-03-2011, 10:49 PM
Jesus, looking at these prices you guys are posting, I think I paid way too much for my last suit haha. I need to wear it more than once to make me feel a little better about the purchase. :rofl:

max_boost, do you know any chinese taylors that can make a custom suit in town? I wanna get an old school asian style one done, have no idea where to go to do it other than, well, Asia.

flipstah
10-03-2011, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by Roarasaur

Nice review for Indochino, Roarasaur! How long did it take from ordering to suiting up?

bigboom
10-04-2011, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by flipstah
Anybody know when Maxwell's is coming to town? I am in need of a custom dress shirt in a month's time and the only decent place I found is this:

http://www.shirtsmyway.com/

Any recommendations on other places?

maxwell's usually comes once in the fall then once in the spring. the only problem is you can usually count on it taking a couple months for your shirts to show up.

l/l/rX
10-04-2011, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by flipstah

Nice review for Indochino, Roarasaur! How long did it take from ordering to suiting up?

All the reviews say 14 - 21 days. Free shipping as well. :bigpimp:

flipstah
10-04-2011, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by l/l/rX

All the reviews say 14 - 21 days. Free shipping as well. :bigpimp:

I'll buy one shirt first since I need it for next month. Then, a suit/shirt swatch for options!

I'll make a review! :bigpimp:

no_joke
10-04-2011, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by Maxwell

MR. K. MAXWELL will be visiting the following town on the listed dates. (PLEASE ASK HOTEL OPERATOR FOR MR. K. MAXWELL'S SUITE).

NOVEMBER 21ST, 22ND, 23RD, 24TH, 25TH 2011

CALGARY, AB.
THE WESTIN HOTEL
320 4th Ave. S.W.
Tel: (403) 266-1611

NOVEMBER 26TH & 27TH 2011

CALGARY, AB.
VILLAGE PARK INN
1804 Crowchild Trail NW
Tel: (403) 289-0241

blitz
10-04-2011, 08:41 PM
www.indochino.com seems pretty good...i'll let you know how it is when i decide to order one.

heard about it from a friend, whose friend started this online site.

Just ordered one, thanks for the link.

l/l/rX
10-04-2011, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by blitz

Just ordered one, thanks for the link.

I expect a review in ~2 weeks. ;) What did you get?

flipstah
10-05-2011, 03:57 PM

Just ordered one as well! Lavender, slim-fit, with a curved collar and french cuffs.

Let's see how things go.

Roarasaur
10-05-2011, 09:29 PM
Yeah, they give you a guaranteed shipping date and ship to you for free with fedex. Shipping was extremely fast. I had placed my order for my swatches on July 9th at 12:00 am. Order was processed July 10th 1:30. Shipped July 11th and received July 12th at 10:57am.

After I received my swatches, I placed an order for my 2 shirts ( I ended up going with the playful purple striped shirt , which is awesome with the charcoal suit and a blueprint white oxford shirt) and came just in time for my parents anniversary. I placed my order on July 13th and received it by Aug 2nd. Fedex is awesome when it comes to shipping. Too bad they're so expensive normally.

Hopefully when you guys receive your suits you guys can give a comparative review to the suits that you guys had paid for before. I'd really like to know how they compare.

One thing I'd also like to mention is that it would be a good idea to get someone else to measure you. The difference in self measurements compared to as when someone else measures you may be subtle and small but things can look really uneven once your put your suit on. The weirdest part was when the crotch measurement came up. That was the only measurement I did ended up doing myself hahaha.

blitz
10-05-2011, 10:02 PM

Business Class Gray Plaid Suit, a white wrinkle free shirt and a sample pack of swatches. I'd do a review and some photos when it comes in. If it's good I'll probably order a few more.

It said I'd have it by Oct 25th, which would be great because I'm doing a Vancouver/SanFran Marketing trip with work leaving on that day.

flipstah
10-05-2011, 10:14 PM

Business Class Gray Plaid Suit, a white wrinkle free shirt and a sample pack of swatches. I'd do a review and some photos when it comes in. If it's good I'll probably order a few more.

It said I'd have it by Oct 25th, which would be great because I'm doing a Vancouver/SanFran Marketing trip with work leaving on that day.

I'd like to compare IndoChino with ShirtsMyWay and see if there are differences. But first, IndoChino!

I need that shirt for my grad. :bigpimp:

ExtraSlow
10-06-2011, 06:09 AM
We should have a big "internet custom shirt review" comparison thread. I bought a shirt from Nuemodo (with groupon) and I'm about to buy another.

l/l/rX
10-06-2011, 07:42 AM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
We should have a big &quot;internet custom shirt review&quot; comparison thread. I bought a shirt from Nuemodo (with groupon) and I'm about to buy another.

Time for all the beyond ballers to open up their wallets and go on a shopping spree!

I haven't ordered mine yet as I'm not in need of a suit till new years/ I won't be wearing dress clothes anymore for the next year, so I'm just holding off for a bit here.

Mitsu3000gt
10-06-2011, 04:01 PM
I'm very interested in some reviews, I could use some shirts & pants.

All I want is more "fitting" pants and also shirts that are more "slim" fit so they don't look like I'm wearing a parachute, all at semi-reasonable prices. These online places seem to offer that, and its hard to find that sort of thing in stores within my budget.

l/l/rX
10-06-2011, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
I'm very interested in some reviews, I could use some shirts &amp; pants.

All I want is more &quot;fitting&quot; pants and also shirts that are more &quot;slim&quot; fit so they don't look like I'm wearing a parachute, all at semi-reasonable prices. These online places seem to offer that, and its hard to find that sort of thing in stores within my budget.

United Colors of Bennetton use to sell excellent slim fit shirts (unfortunately they got rid of their mens section earlier this year). If you ever go to HK, G2000 has some of the best fitting dress clothes from the rack you can buy. My whole wardrobe is from there pretty much. haha

BTW, nice choices flipstah and blitz :thumbsup:

toyboy88
10-06-2011, 07:32 PM

If you ever go to HK, G2000 has some of the best fitting dress clothes from the rack you can buy. My whole wardrobe is from there pretty much. haha

:werd: +1

Reminded me all the time as the 'Mexx' of Asia, but 100000x better. Cheap too (always have like 2/$39 or $2/55 'sales'). :D

iLLlegal
10-06-2011, 09:29 PM
I want a slim fit gray 3 piece suit so bad. I can't afford an armani one like my friends :( this indochino site looks like they could probably make it happen! so tired of this moore suit. its so baggy and bleh.

time to suit up!!

rm777
10-06-2011, 09:55 PM
The fabrics are garbage.

flipstah
10-17-2011, 06:10 PM
My shirt arrived early! :D

The fit is exact to what I said however, I find the fabric too thin for my liking. Maybe it's the style I picked but I'm iffy on the fabric so far. Maybe I'll try the other place and see how that goes.

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n205/dj_flipster/WP_000797.jpg

Also, there are sharp crease folds as this is fresh from the FedEx package; no washing/ironing done yet.

l/l/rX
10-17-2011, 08:44 PM
Sweet dude, looks good and for that price doesn't seem like you can go wrong either!

buh_buh
10-17-2011, 08:44 PM
The fit on it doesn't seem great for a bespoke shirt.
Guess when they're not the ones doing the measuring, better to make it too large than too small.

flipstah
10-17-2011, 09:02 PM
Sweet dude, looks good and for that price doesn't seem like you can go wrong either!

Originally posted by buh_buh
The fit on it doesn't seem great for a bespoke shirt.
Guess when they're not the ones doing the measuring, better to make it too large than too small.

Maybe it hasn't been washed yet and it's stiff but it looks and feels 'poofy'. It 'fits' but I didn't actually measure it yet. Maybe I should...

I'm planning to order to http://www.shirtsmyway.com next time and see how their shirts go.

They have more options on fabric, style, and combinations although at a higher price.

Roarasaur
10-17-2011, 10:16 PM
I guess it would have been a good idea to post some pictures of me in the suit. Here is just a random shot of my dad and me at his anniversary. Cropped of course, but the shirt and vest are in good view. I'm on the right btw, my dad was in a rented suit with a clip on tie

*shakes head

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6053/6255985233_5b347af33e_z.jpg

blitz
10-17-2011, 10:17 PM
That does look like thin fabric, I have a feeling I'm not going to be impressed with my shirt. Hopefully the suit is decent.

flipstah
10-17-2011, 10:43 PM
That does look like thin fabric, I have a feeling I'm not going to be impressed with my shirt. Hopefully the suit is decent.

Diffr'nt strokes for diffr'nt folks. Who knows? My 'thin' could be your 'just right'.

When I have a FT job and I need these shirts, gonna try out different places.

Good luck on that suit, blitz and post pics! It's all about how you wear it, chief :)

toyboy88
10-17-2011, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by iLLlegal
I want a slim fit gray 3 piece suit so bad. I can't afford an armani one like my friends :( this indochino site looks like they could probably make it happen! so tired of this moore suit. its so baggy and bleh.

time to suit up!!

If you want a decent (off the rack) slim fit suit, check out TopMan (they have online too). First discovered this store while in Asia this past spring, have some pretty decent inexpensive OTR suits for skinnier/slim builds.

blitz
11-22-2011, 12:02 PM
I got my Travellers Suit and shirt, came about a week after the date that was given. I left for Hawaii a few days later and forgot about this thread.

I'll take some photos, but bottom line I was impressed with the suit. I'd say it's right in line with Banana Republic Monogram which is what my previous suit was. I ordered another one, the Vincero Pinstripe one a few days after the first one came in, only took about a week and a half for them to ship it out. I'm guessing it's quicker with future orders because they've already built your pattern. Vincero feels a little nicer than the traveller line in all aspects.

The shirts I'm torn on. I picked up the white non-iron and the light blue non-iron. Fit and construction are fantastic, but the materials seem too thin to me.

I'm going to try one of the other fabrics (non-non-iron?) and see how that goes.

l/l/rX
11-22-2011, 01:47 PM
I got my Travellers Suit and shirt, came about a week after the date that was given. I left for Hawaii a few days later and forgot about this thread.

I'll take some photos, but bottom line I was impressed with the suit. I'd say it's right in line with Banana Republic Monogram which is what my previous suit was. I ordered another one, the Vincero Pinstripe one a few days after the first one came in, only took about a week and a half for them to ship it out. I'm guessing it's quicker with future orders because they've already built your pattern. Vincero feels a little nicer than the traveller line in all aspects.

The shirts I'm torn on. I picked up the white non-iron and the light blue non-iron. Fit and construction are fantastic, but the materials seem too thin to me.

I'm going to try one of the other fabrics (non-non-iron?) and see how that goes.

Sweet, this gave me a bit of confidence, good to hear. I ordered the black day at the office 3 piece suit and The Specialist Red & Pink Windowpane Checked Shirt on the 10th. Hoping it'll arrive soon after I get home.

CivicTunr
11-22-2011, 10:19 PM
just so you guys know, all your baggy shirts can be fixed. its a quick fix for a tailor. they can either dart it or cut the seams and retapper it.

either way a baggy shirt can be fixed. (im a 16.5 neck, and like a 15.5 body)

flipstah
11-22-2011, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by CivicTunr
just so you guys know, all your baggy shirts can be fixed. its a quick fix for a tailor. they can either dart it or cut the seams and retapper it.

either way a baggy shirt can be fixed. (im a 16.5 neck, and like a 15.5 body)

Where do you go? The tailor that I asked about quoted me $25/shirt and most of the baggy shirts I have are $10/each (outlet malls rule).

blitz
11-22-2011, 11:11 PM
It's not just around the torso though, sleeve length, shoulder width, neck etc all play a big part. If you need anything besides a dart you'll be cheaper to just get it custom made.

Some pictures:

Travellers Suit

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t191/FrinkOctane/RAK_6009.jpg

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t191/FrinkOctane/RAK_6062.jpg

Pattern on shoulders lines up perfectly on both sides:

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t191/FrinkOctane/RAK_6065.jpg

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t191/FrinkOctane/RAK_6066.jpg

Pocket on the right is perfect, but the left is off slightly. Looks like there's a slight flaw there, not sure if it will iron out.

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t191/FrinkOctane/RAK_6063.jpg

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t191/FrinkOctane/RAK_6064.jpg

The Traveller suits have eyelets under the armpits for venting. The front 2 are completley hidden but the rear one is visible when my arms are down. Going to email Indochino about this. Why they don't use black eyelets I have no idea:

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t191/FrinkOctane/RAK_6069.jpg

Vincero:

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t191/FrinkOctane/RAK_6003.jpg

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t191/FrinkOctane/RAK_6008.jpg

Shoulder pattern lines up nicely on the right, but not on the left. They match perfectly at the rear middle seem, so probably a slight difference in size between the shoulders:

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t191/FrinkOctane/RAK_6034.jpg

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t191/FrinkOctane/RAK_6050.jpg

Pockets are extremely well done:

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t191/FrinkOctane/RAK_6039.jpg

Shirt:

Fits well, stitching is great, but fabric is thin. Fine for under a suit, but it's borderline if I feel I'd need an undershirt to wear it on it's own.

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t191/FrinkOctane/RAK_6017.jpg

Didn't take any pictures of the pants, but they are extremely well made and fit perfectly.

All in all, I'm happy with the purchase. I'm going to iron both suits to double check for flaws, and ask them about the eyelets on the travellers suit.

Also just ordered a "Supervisor" shirt and when I get that I'll update my opinion on the shirts. If I'm not happy I'll move to Modern Tailor or Shirts my way.

Mitsu3000gt
11-23-2011, 12:03 AM
Thanks for the review. I'm going to order a pair of pants and a non-non iron shirt when my tape measure comes in the mail!

flipstah
11-23-2011, 09:39 AM
Thanks for the review. I'm going to order a pair of pants and a non-non iron shirt when my tape measure comes in the mail!

I love ironed shirts! You can buy a tape measure anywhere though...

Great review, blitz! Like mine, the shirt is a bit too thin for my liking but that suit looks mighty good :thumbsup:

2.2vtec
11-23-2011, 11:22 AM
I went to Maxwell tailors about 6 months ago and i was very happy with the fit and quality.

I went to go see them again yesterday as they are in Calgary again and got 3 more shirts. Hopefully they turn up as good as the first time.

98brg2d
11-23-2011, 11:27 AM
Not in the same class as custom tailored but I found shirts that fit (16/37 are my measurements) at a new store in Chinook called Express. The only other shirt off the rack that fit this well was $375 Armani at Harry Rosen. So for you other slim, tall, long armed monkeys like me try that new store. Price is a bit high ($70) for the quality of material but they had buy one get one half off as well as a $25 coupon so two shirts ended up right around $80 with tax. The shirts also have quite a bit of flex in them (just like the Armani) so you can go slightly tighter (3 fits are available) and get away with suitable (no pun) arm movement. They only appear to have one collar and cuff style (straight, no french, although I prefer french and cufflinks) and solid colors only but a good range of colors.

I don't have time to get anything tailored (leaving on business on Friday) so I pretty much hit up every store at Chinook aside from Sears and this was a really good fit.

l/l/rX
11-24-2011, 09:38 AM
FYI... 30% off indochino if you spend over $700 which is easily achievable, sale lasts till Monday.

blitz
11-24-2011, 09:58 AM
I just hit buy on 2 shirts from Modern Tailor. Went with them because they have a lot of non-iron fabrics, which turns out to be pretty rare in the MTM game.

$85 for one shirt
$146 for the other
+ free tie
Shipping was $20.

I'll do a comparison when they all come in.

borN
11-24-2011, 12:16 PM
Ordered 3 shirts from Indochina recently - I'm really happy with the fit and quality of all three. They're great work shirts...just hope they last for more than a year!

On a side note, Harry Rosen's suit and jacket sale starts today. Have a down payment on a couple items in case they go on sale. Be weary of Hugo Boss quality if you go.

themack89
11-24-2011, 02:10 PM
How come you guys don't go to a store?? IMO If you aren't happy with what you order in the mail its a big pain in the ass to deal with. If it comes to saving money then I understand, but otherwise I think its way better to actually know what you're getting.

It's kind of chochy but the le chateau outlet on Macleod (across from chinook) has some nice stuff. Planning on getting a coat from there pree soon.

flipstah
11-24-2011, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by themack89
How come you guys don't go to a store?? IMO If you aren't happy with what you order in the mail its a big pain in the ass to deal with. If it comes to saving money then I understand, but otherwise I think its way better to actually know what you're getting.

It's kind of chochy but the le chateau outlet on Macleod (across from chinook) has some nice stuff. Planning on getting a coat from there pree soon.

Mostly on the price. Custom suit for that price can't be beat, especially if the quality is proven by others. :)

blitz
11-24-2011, 03:57 PM
It's just fit for me. I've been wearing Banana Republic shirts for years, but I just got tired of not fitting quite right. For shirts I need medium sleeve length, large chest and 1/4" bigger than large neck if I want to comfortably wear a tie.

I'm wearing my 'Travellers' suit today and these are the best fitting pants I've ever owned.

As for not being happy when you get the product, most of these companies seem to have excellent customer service. Seems like all of them offer to refund money for any alterations that are needed. Indochino also offers complete remakes if you're not happy with something major.

ExtraSlow
11-24-2011, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by themack89

It's kind of chochy but the le chateau outlet on Macleod (across from chinook) has some nice stuff. Planning on getting a coat from there pree soon. maybe 30% of people actualyl fit off the rack stuff properly. Teh rest of the people who wear it would look miles better in a shirt that fit properly.

Buying off the rack and getting it tailored is very expensive. These internet and mail-order places are a great combination of price and fit.

Jlude
11-24-2011, 04:25 PM
First suit I bought myself was from Harry Rosen and after one shirt, tie, shoes and cuff links, it came to 1600. FFS.

I don't usually wear suits, not even to meetings, but I need to pick up something new. Don't know how I feel about ordering online.

What style of suits are you guys wearing?

borN
11-24-2011, 09:31 PM
Also, not sure if it's been mentioned yet but Maxwell's is in town. I checked out some of their fabrics and man, it's pretty money. The suits could be a steal. We'll see how the shirts come out in 12 weeks...

dingmah
11-24-2011, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by borN
Also, not sure if it's been mentioned yet but Maxwell's is in town. I checked out some of their fabrics and man, it's pretty money. The suits could be a steal. We'll see how the shirts come out in 12 weeks...
What time are they are the hotel until?
And how much does a shirt cost?

prodigydud
11-25-2011, 08:08 AM
Originally posted by dingmah

What time are they are the hotel until?
And how much does a shirt cost?

They're at the Westin Nov 21 to 25. Then Village Park Inn on Nov. 26-27.

The usual special I buy is 3 shirts for $150....plus GST and customs tax

CUG
11-30-2011, 01:18 AM
Geeze, and here I am creating a suit slush fund for $4k so I can get one from Giovanni's on 37th street :poosie:

bmeier
11-30-2011, 01:23 AM
Originally posted by CUG
Geeze, and here I am creating a suit slush fund for $4k so I can get one from Giovanni's on 37th street :poosie:

giovanni is the best. though most people wear suits so infrequently they don't want to spend the money.

CUG
11-30-2011, 01:32 AM
Originally posted by bmeier

giovanni is the best. though most people wear suits so infrequently they don't want to spend the money.
Yeah, I've heard that before. My law school pal owns quite a few from there and convinced me that if you're going to dress like a $5 guy, you'll get paid like a $5 guy. I have a a couple of 750-1000 ones from Nieman's in the US (w/o shirts) that look good and were cut nicely, and they may get worn 4/5x a year. I still don't think it's wasteful though.

trieuth
11-30-2011, 02:05 AM
ya but you could also buy a 4000 dollar suit and if it doesn't fit you properly, it'll still look like shit. custom tailored suits that fit properly are always going to be the best, 4000 gio vs 500 from maxwells, the difference is not worth the price difference.

bmeier
11-30-2011, 02:35 AM
Originally posted by trieuth
ya but you could also buy a 4000 dollar suit and if it doesn't fit you properly, it'll still look like shit. custom tailored suits that fit properly are always going to be the best, 4000 gio vs 500 from maxwells, the difference is not worth the price difference.

well to each his own, that's like saying a $20 000 corolla vs $120 000 Porsche is not worth the price difference.

maxwells is fine for most people, but its definitely not in the same league as a bespoke from Giovanni.

Pacman
11-30-2011, 07:35 AM
The law of diminishing returns applies here, and everyone is going to have a price point where they feel they are getting the best value for money.

For me, it's in the $500 to $700 price range for a custom made suit.

blitz
11-30-2011, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by CUG

Yeah, I've heard that before. My law school pal owns quite a few from there and convinced me that if you're going to dress like a $5 guy, you'll get paid like a $5 guy. I have a a couple of 750-1000 ones from Nieman's in the US (w/o shirts) that look good and were cut nicely, and they may get worn 4/5x a year. I still don't think it's wasteful though.

"Dressing like a $5 guy" to me means you're wearing a poor fitting obviously cheap suit. Spending $4k is ridiculous, especially if you're having to save up for it.

l/l/rX
11-30-2011, 10:38 AM
Got my suit from Indochino yesterday. The shirt, vest and pants fit very well, the suit jacket fit well except for the width of the arms, they were a bit baggy, will be sending it back to get it fixed.

Overall very happy with the way things turned out.

CUG
11-30-2011, 01:18 PM

&quot;Dressing like a $5 guy&quot; to me means you're wearing a poor fitting obviously cheap suit. Spending $4k is ridiculous, especially if you're having to save up for it. I'm curious as to how anyone pays for anything then. I would assume that a collection of currency in a bank account would qualify as having been saved. I don't agree with you at all.

Trieuth, the pricing is for a custom made suit. I wouldn't ever buy something off of the rack for that kind of money. :nut:

Step off my balls, I want a nice suit.. it's my $$ to eventually waste, not yours.

blitz
11-30-2011, 02:23 PM
Haha, you should be prepared to have your balls stepped on if you come into a thread discussing $500-700 suits and specifically to mention that you're going to get a $4000 suit becuase you don't want to dress like a "$5 guy".

And there's a difference between having $4k in disposable savings to spend on a suit and having to squirrel money away specifically for it.

l/l/rX
11-30-2011, 03:45 PM
Haha, you should be prepared to have your balls stepped on if you come into a thread discussing $500-700 suits and specifically to mention that you're going to get a $4000 suit becuase you don't want to dress like a &quot;$5 guy&quot;.

And there's a difference between having $4k in disposable savings to spend on a suit and having to squirrel money away specifically for it.

Well said sir. If you have to save for that 1, $4000 suit is it instantly going to make you shitloads of money? CEO's and VP's gonna come flockin' offering you 6 figure salaries with 6 figure bonuses?

Give me some of what you're smoking please.

edit: I absolutely dispise that comment you had to reiterate to us that your friend made. Haha what a joke.

Mitsu3000gt
11-30-2011, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by CUG

My law school pal owns quite a few from there and convinced me that if you're going to dress like a $5 guy, you'll get paid like a $5 guy.

I can't think of any situation where you could possibly make more money by wearing a $4000 suit vs a ~$700 suit.

I have worked with several millionaires (sadly, I am not one of them, lol), and they wear suits from Moores, and jeans from Costco (Kirkland). It doesn't seem to reduce their high 6-7 figure salaries.

I find fit makes the biggest difference, because you can't even tell what brand name most dress clothes are anyways, so nobody is even going to know if you're wearing a $4k suit or a tailored $500 suit.

Anyways, that's just my take on it. Some people like to spend a ton of money on clothes and if that's what makes them happy, who am I to say it's not a good idea.

CUG
11-30-2011, 11:44 PM

Well said sir. If you have to save for that 1, $4000 suit is it instantly going to make you shitloads of money? CEO's and VP's gonna come flockin' offering you 6 figure salaries with 6 figure bonuses?

Give me some of what you're smoking please.

edit: I absolutely dispise that comment you had to reiterate to us that your friend made. Haha what a joke.
You and your friend can get pissy about it, carry on. I'm not even talking about buying a suit to find a job, per se.

I'm not shitting on your $150 Moore's suits guys, it's something I'm after and allocating money for... the same way people do for cars, trips, and the like. Blitz, I suspect that you look at your butthole in the mirror. WRX, fuck you. <3

I have worked with several millionaires (sadly, I am not one of them, lol), and they wear suits from Moores, and jeans from Costco (Kirkland). It doesn't seem to reduce their high 6-7 figure salaries.
Anyways, that's just my take on it. Some people like to spend a ton of money on clothes and if that's what makes them happy, who am I to say it's not a good idea. The plural of anecdote is not law.

l/l/rX
12-01-2011, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by CUG

You and your friend can get pissy about it, carry on. I'm not even talking about buying a suit to find a job, per se.

I'm not shitting on your $150 Moore's suits guys, it's something I'm after and allocating money for... the same way people do for cars, trips, and the like. Blitz, I suspect that you look at your butthole in the mirror. WRX, fuck you. &lt;3

The plural of anecdote is not law.

I'm not shitting on you for buying a $4000 suit. I'm shitting on your ideals that having a $4000 suit vs a $500 suit is going to make you more money.

Eatadick.

blitz
12-01-2011, 11:41 AM
Jesus this thread went downhill in a hurry.

Back on topic, I put in a black friday order with Indochino, 2 more suits and 4 pairs of dress pants. I tried on my Vincero suit again after wearing the Travellers suit and it felt a little too big. I checked with Indochino customer service to make sure the two I ordered fit like the first jacket.

Turns out there was an extra 0.5" on the back and an extra 0.5" added on the Vincero, it was done with their new electronic robot cutter vs a person. They've made the changes for the new ones and I get re-imbursed for the tailoring of the existing jacket. Only $25 to get it taken in at Jafar's so I'm not sure I'll bother.

Ordered 2 shirts from Modern Tailor, turns out one of the fabrics I picked is no longer available so I'm leaving it at one shirt as a test.

l/l/rX
12-01-2011, 12:01 PM
Jesus this thread went downhill in a hurry.

Back on topic, I put in a black friday order with Indochino, 2 more suits and 4 pairs of dress pants. I tried on my Vincero suit again after wearing the Travellers suit and it felt a little too big. I checked with Indochino customer service to make sure the two I ordered fit like the first jacket.

Turns out there was an extra 0.5&quot; on the back and an extra 0.5&quot; added on the Vincero, it was done with their new electronic robot cutter vs a person. They've made the changes for the new ones and I get re-imbursed for the tailoring of the existing jacket. Only $25 to get it taken in at Jafar's so I'm not sure I'll bother.

Ordered 2 shirts from Modern Tailor, turns out one of the fabrics I picked is no longer available so I'm leaving it at one shirt as a test.

Do you have contact info/ address? Need to take in my sleeves on my suit jacket a bit.

blitz
12-01-2011, 12:08 PM
It was one of the ones recommended in another thread on here, I picked it because it's just around the corner from my office building.

http://www.yellowpages.ca/bus/Alberta/Calgary/Jaafar-s-Tailor/6751034.html

nj2Type-S
12-02-2011, 12:06 AM
i'm interested in ordering a couple of shirts and a suit at either indochino or modern tailor. i'm gonna be trusting your guys' comments and reviews as i have never ordered clothing online before.

Weapon_R
12-02-2011, 12:30 AM
In my experience, the best suits come at around $1000-1500. After that, you're paying more for the name than you are for the material. You can get very sharp looking suits from about $750-$1500.

As for the custom suit people, I'm still not impressed. For $600, you can get a good OTR suit and have it tailored properly. The Asian tailored suits I've seen use inferior material, but people think they are good because they are "custom" made.

As for shirts, check out the Hudson Room lineup at the Bay. They are my favorite dress shirt under $150 and tailoring a shirt is cheap and easy to do. Guaranteed to be 100x better than the paper-thin shirts you guys are paying Maxwell for.

msommers
12-02-2011, 01:01 AM
What OTR suits would you recommend? And your preferred place for tailoring. I have a few shirts from The Bay I'm happy with but definitely could get taken-in quite a bit in the back.

Weapon_R
12-02-2011, 02:08 AM
I have no particular favorite brand but I have started to become partial to the Paul Smith mainline suits and am working on my third at this point. They seem to fit me better than anything else right now, and I like the fabric and cut but my 'favorite' change all the time. I also like Hickey Freeman suits and a lot of them use good fabric, plus they are well priced. I'm not sure there is a single answer, because I can't tell a $500 suit from a $5000 suit without feeling it, and no one is going to give you a second look if its clean and fits properly.

As for tailoring, I use a Viet lady that works out of her home, but Jaffar's is supposed to be very good.

msommers
12-02-2011, 03:38 AM
Great, thank you.

Mitsu3000gt
12-07-2011, 11:34 PM
Anyone get shirts from more than one place yet? I'm fairly confident I could jump out the 20th story window of my building and land gently on the ground wearing one of my current shirts. It's time for some that fit better.

I want to order some pants & shirts from Indochino, but I'm a little worried about the shirt fabric, so I want to know if the other places are the same. I would be getting regular shirts, not the non-iron ones.

Thanks!

blitz
12-08-2011, 12:44 AM
I've got my new one from Indochino waiting in my office for me and my order from Modertailor just shipped.

I was in Jafar's picking up my jacket, and he has dozens of books full of fabric samples he can make shirts out of. Ranged from $90 to $120. Tons of regular fabrics as well as non-iron. Could be a good option too.

msommers
12-08-2011, 12:56 AM
Hmm I might have to look at this Jaafar's more closely. Umberto's did a really good job on my sports jacket, I think others have had success as well. Wonder if he does custom shirts too..

Impreza
12-08-2011, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
I have no particular favorite brand but I have started to become partial to the Paul Smith mainline suits and am working on my third at this point. They seem to fit me better than anything else right now, and I like the fabric and cut but my 'favorite' change all the time.

:werd:

I have a Paul Smith suit and for the price, it is hard to beat. For me personally, it fits very well for "off the rack" with minimal alterations needed and the quality is definitely there.

blitz
12-08-2011, 05:09 PM
My Modern Tailor shirt just got delivered and it's awesome. Non-iron fabric that's nice and thick, and the build quality is oustanding.

I used my Indochino shirt as a measurement template and the fit is excellent.

turbotrip
12-08-2011, 10:07 PM

Spending $4k is ridiculous, especially if you're having to save up for it.

:werd: you probably shouldnt be spending 4k on a suit if you need to "save up" for it

blitz
12-09-2011, 09:17 AM
So I'm looking at my new shirt from indochino, and I feel it's also too thin, especially since it's not a non-iron fabric. So Indochino is out for shirts in my opinion

Moderntailor is the way to go IMO. Unfortunately you have to pay for shipping, but it's reasonable and there's no duty/tax when it's delivered. Just ordered 6 more shirts in the $99 to $149 bracket.

blitz
12-12-2011, 11:50 PM
Ok, I'm getting pissed off with Modern Tailor.

On my first order, I ordered 2 shirts and got an email back saying 1 of them was not available.

On my next order, I just got an email and 3 of the 6 shirts are not available. Seems like they just wait for a customer to order an out of stock fabric to trigger removing it from the website.