PDA

View Full Version : Mazda vs Kia vs Hyundai For My First Car

desmond
07-21-2011, 01:26 AM
Hi. Can't decide which one to get on a budget for my first car in Canada. Which one is more durable, lower maintenance, cheaper parts and easier to resale with higher resale value? Or should i just get a certified pre owned?
Thanks

Xtrema
07-21-2011, 09:24 AM
Which line of cars are you comparing?

2/Forte/Accent

or

3/Forte/Elantra

If you are cost sensitive, I'm sure a used Korean with a bit of warranty left may serve you better since they have 5 year bumper to bumper compare to Mazada's 3. And Koreans resale are lower which is great to pick up used.

dimi
07-21-2011, 09:41 AM
If I was you I'd get a sligthly used new model Elantra. Seems like a wicked car, I think it looks sick, and Huyndai resale values just crash so you should get a good deal. If you want a better handling car, mazda 3 should fit the bill, though I don't know why people are concerned with handling when it comes to economy cars. Fuel econ & reliability would be my priorities.

ExtraSlow
07-21-2011, 10:23 AM
My advice for any first car is to keep the cost low.

If you can buy used, do that. If you think must buy new because you have to finance, get the cheapest one.

Chances are good that you'll be into something else within only a few years, so get something cheap.

Tomaz
07-21-2011, 10:26 AM
They are all about the same really. It would really depend on the models and years you are looking at.

Just for fun, throw Honda into the mix. They seem to hold value quite well from what I am seeing on used vehicles, and it will have the same economy/features of the other cars you mentioned.

^^^ Handling makes the car more enjoyable when looking at economy cars. I rather buy an eco car that is fun around the corners instead of an eco car that feels like driving an appliance. IMO of course. But i am bias... lol

ExtraSlow
07-21-2011, 10:35 AM
Also, when looking at small cars, often the very smallest car, and the next larger will have the same fuel economy and cost, but the bigger car will have much greater utiliy for cargo and passengers.
For instance: The Hyundai accent, base price $14k, Elantra, $15k. Virtually identical fuel economy.

Oddly, the Elantra Touring has a different engine and transmission, and gets way worse economy. Weird.

Xtrema
07-21-2011, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
Oddly, the Elantra Touring has a different engine and transmission, and gets way worse economy. Weird.

Because that's actually based on old gen platform where the new Accent/Elantra are brand spanking new.

94boosted
07-21-2011, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by Tomaz

^^^ Handling makes the car more enjoyable when looking at economy cars. I rather buy an eco car that is fun around the corners instead of an eco car that feels like driving an appliance. IMO of course. But i am bias... lol

So in other words stay away from the Toyota Corolla :rofl:

Nakadah
07-21-2011, 10:11 PM
I would choose the Mazda from all of the above. I think that it has the best exterior look as well as best interior. However, I would recommend to go to the dealers and check all of them. Test drive them all, look at what options and trim level they offer and ask for pricing. Good luck

desmond
07-21-2011, 10:40 PM
Comparing resale value between Mazda and Hyundai? Will it be Mazda?
Also, will occasionally renting like Zipcar (although Calgary i think doesn't have zipcar yet), be better? Because they include insurance and gas.
Thanks

Xtrema
07-22-2011, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by desmond
Comparing resale value between Mazda and Hyundai? Will it be Mazda?
Also, will occasionally renting like Zipcar (although Calgary i think doesn't have zipcar yet), be better? Because they include insurance and gas.
Thanks

Do a spreadsheet. I know guys in town who never owned a car til they had children and rely solely on bus/taxi/rentals.

It requires a lifestyle adjustment but it is cheaper than owning a reliable vehicle.

nixrx8
07-22-2011, 01:50 PM
Drive them, buy the one you like, there all going to be fairly reliable, reasonable on gas, and as for resale if you keep it five years does it really make a difference ones worth $6500 and the other $7500?